Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 24, 2012
It's the end of the year and my 14PM still can not scan barcodes while using many different apps, eBay, Amazon ETC.

This is just plain ridiculous that a phone of this caliber cannot focus on a barcode.

I have tried everything with no luck at all. Is my phone defective?

Is there something I have not tried?

griss0r

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2014
If you already tried everything like force restart etc. I would bring the device to your closest Apple Store. Sometimes they can find hidden defects with their diagnosis tools that you cannot see/find.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
I can scan barcodes with my 14 Pro using the Amazon app, but the item has to be quite far away before the camera focuses. Close up, the camera doesn't switch over to Macro mode (like the Camera app does) so maybe it's an app issue.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Same issue here. None of the shopping apps I use will scan barcodes unless they are bigger and the phone is held farther away.

jtopp

macrumors regular
Apr 27, 2010
I use the Sam’s club app in store and I have no problems scanning items. 14 pro max user.

Yuvix

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2022
India
Usually to scan any barcode, the main camera is deployed and for this year 14 pro lienup has upgraded the camera sensor but degraded its shortest focus distance. So I think apps have to be coded in such a way that it uses wide camera to read the bar codes from close distance.

Reactions: bruinsrme

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have a 14 Pro Max and have 0 issues scanning items through apps. I mostly use Sam’s Club and Walmart+ to scan my items before paying them.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
I think it is dependent on the app. I had no problem with Amazon but the app for the local grocery store is completely useless.

Reactions: compwiz1202

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
It's the end of the year and my 14PM still can not scan barcodes while using many different apps, eBay, Amazon ETC.

This is just plain ridiculous that a phone of this caliber cannot focus on a barcode.

Your phone isn't defective. I have the same problem.

I think it comes down to the focal length of the camera. Too close and it can't focus on it. then when you pull it back, the bar code is too small to read.

Reactions: Hooterville

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Usually to scan any barcode, the main camera is deployed and for this year 14 pro lienup has upgraded the camera sensor but degraded its shortest focus distance. So I think apps have to be coded in such a way that it uses wide camera to read the bar codes from close distance.
Can't wait for 15pro

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Your phone isn't defective. I have the same problem.

I think it comes down to the focal length of the camera. Too close and it can't focus on it. then when you pull it back, the bar code is too small to read.
This is exactly how it acts. And the barcodes the store supplies for scanning are really small.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
This is exactly how it acts. And the barcodes the store supplies for scanning are really small.
IMO apple screwed the pooch with the camera this round. They went big and seemingly forgot how it would affect every day use.
When setting up wyze and amazon cameras and switches, I had to use my 2018 ipad pro to scan the barcodes.

Reactions: usmaak

kmarie1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2022

hey take a photo of the qr code then on your computer you can make it big enough and it will scan.

kmarie1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2022

Try doing a screenshot or take a photo, then get it to your computer, you can make the qr code image larger so the phone can scan it,

kmarie1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2022
IMO apple screwed the pooch with the camera this round. They went big and seemingly forgot how it would affect every day use.
When setting up wyze and amazon cameras and switches, I had to use my 2018 ipad pro to scan the barcodes.
take a photo of the qr code, get it onto your computer where you can enlarge it, then the phone can focus and scan it.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
take a photo of the qr code, get it onto your computer where you can enlarge it, then the phone can focus and scan it.
Cool, but we really shouldn’t have to jump through such hoops to do what most other phones can do with no issues. And while that works well enough for things like QR codes to install things, it’s a non-starter for using shopping apps in a store. On my Note 20, I could get close to a barcode and it was nice and sharp and it would be picked up instantly. With the 14 Pro Max, getting up close results in a blurred out and unreadable barcode. Pulling the phone further away is hit or miss. Some apps can read the barcode and for some, it is too small. The problem is not being able to get close enough to scan it without it being out of focus. It is a completely different feel compared to using other phones that allow you to get close to the barcode.

kmarie1969

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2022
Cool, but we really shouldn’t have to jump through such hoops to do what most other phones can do with no issues. And while that works well enough for things like QR codes to install things, it’s a non-starter for using shopping apps in a store. On my Note 20, I could get close to a barcode and it was nice and sharp and it would be picked up instantly. With the 14 Pro Max, getting up close results in a blurred out and unreadable barcode. Pulling the phone further away is hit or miss. Some apps can read the barcode and for some, it is too small. The problem is not being able to get close enough to scan it without it being out of focus. It is a completely different feel compared to using other phones that allow you to get close to the barcode.
Oh believe me I agree, hopefully it will be fixed. I am so excited to get my google authenticator this way. I was almost out of ideas. Whew!

Reactions: usmaak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.