Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aceroller

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2015
Usually to scan any barcode, the main camera is deployed and for this year 14 pro lienup has upgraded the camera sensor but degraded its shortest focus distance. So I think apps have to be coded in such a way that it uses wide camera to read the bar codes from close distance.

This is exactly correct. Unfortunately, due to the shorter focal length of the main camera, apps must use the wide angle so the macro mode kicks in. Sadly, many apps still have not done this.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Over the years we have seen issues with various iphones. Holding it wrong, Bend gate and so on.
The camera has become the focal point on selling people on upgrading. To me, this is the worst phone I've upgraded to. It's not only the bar code, even close in pictures > 8" seem to have a focus issue or a lot of noise. Zooming seems to have a lot of noise as well.
Being on he iphone upgrade program I am not sure what I may do for the next release.

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
This issue does come up once in a while but the Fred Meyer App I did a scan in the app and it worked fine for me. the Walmart and Costco apps well no they been broken since the I got my 14 Pro. I think that the app writers need to get to work and fix their apps. 11 months and they still have not done anything in their apps you really cannot blame Apple for their far sighted main camera.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I’m having problems with apps for the grocery stores I use. The camera will not focus on the barcode.
I’ve had no issues. I use Walmart+ to scan my items as I shop, and I scan my items at Sam’s Clubs to pay through the app, and haven’t had any issues with those.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
My 14 PM struggles with bar codes and it's quite embarrassing when in a queue.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
I had a problem in the beginning with my 14PM not scanning bar codes, but mine had something to do with my macro mode not being enabled In camera settings.

Aggedor

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2020
As others have said in this thread, it's not the iPhone at fault, it's the various scanning apps that haven't been coded to switch to the macro lens. I have the same problem with my iPhone 14 Pro Max and my supermarket app. I need to hold barcodes a long way from the phone to get it to scan. I didn't have a problem with my Galaxy S20 Note Ultra, because I could see the app switching to the macro lens as I used the app.

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
As others have said in this thread, it's not the iPhone at fault, it's the various scanning apps that haven't been coded to switch to the macro lens. I have the same problem with my iPhone 14 Pro Max and my supermarket app. I need to hold barcodes a long way from the phone to get it to scan. I didn't have a problem with my Galaxy S20 Note Ultra, because I could see the app switching to the macro lens as I used the app.
Yeah. Grocery store apps seem to be a big share of this issue. None of mine work.

Timewaste

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2023
Just got my 15PM. Never had any issue with my 13PM but shopping in Waitrose (UK) using their scan and go app is near impossible. The 13PM would pick up each barcode very easily in a second (same store, same app), but now the 15PM takes forever trying to get the camera to pick up the code. Not able to adjust anything but hold the phone closer or further away, but cannot get a sweet spot until suddenly by some sheer fluke it beeps, very frustrating!

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Just got my 15PM. Never had any issue with my 13PM but shopping in Waitrose (UK) using their scan and go app is near impossible. The 13PM would pick up each barcode very easily in a second (same store, same app), but now the 15PM takes forever trying to get the camera to pick up the code. Not able to adjust anything but hold the phone closer or further away, but cannot get a sweet spot until suddenly by some sheer fluke it beeps, very frustrating!

If it's not using macro lens has to be at least ~20cm away to focus

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
I dont really scan barcodes that often but I sometime use app which can scan them and it would never work as the camera wouldn’t focus.

I have now tried it on other apps and same issue. If it was a software issue it would have been fixed by now surely?

this is using my 14 Pro Max

usmaak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2012
Can anyone with an iPhone 15/Pro/Max verify whether this is an issue with the newest phones?

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
The focus distance is about the same as 14, yes, so technically is an issue, thoug I've not really had any problems using just with holding phone at correct distance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.