Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I guess this question will be be best suited to those that have had the 14 Pro Max and 14 Pro... I really am stuck on which one to buy out of the two phones..

I have had Pro Max phones in the past, 12 Pro Max and 13 Pro Max so I guess it makes sense to go for the 14 Pro Max. However, as much as I like the bigger battery and the screen, I do find the Pro Max uncomfortable to hold, especially when making calls for a long period of time. It will be nice to have a phone where I can use it with just one hand.

I am just worried if I get the Pro, I will be dissapointed with the battery life as I have read many complaints about how poor the iPhone 14 Pro battery is. I don't want to buy a case, screen protector for the 14 Pro, install it on the phone and then decide I want the 14 Pro Max!
1. Wait a few months for the 15 Pro.
2. I have a 13 Pro and use it for business. It does run out during the day, but I’m on the phone a lot and get hundreds of emails. If you’re a typical user, it should last the entire day.

When I’m out of the office and receiving fewer calls, it does last the entire day.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
2. I have a 13 Pro and use it for business. It does run out during the day, but I’m on the phone a lot and get hundreds of emails. If you’re a typical user, it should last the entire day.

When I’m out of the office and receiving fewer calls, it does last the entire day.
I lost my phone and currently using my mums old cheap phone, so I need to buy a new iPhone this week.
If not, I would have waited for the 15 Pro/Pro Max as it makes no sense to buy the 14 Pro/Pro Max now when a new iPhone will be released in September.

Yuuuki

macrumors regular
May 28, 2023
also wanted to point on last week I had a 14 Max and was not impressed with the battery life, it lasted only until 7pm basically, and the pro until 5pm so that's not a big difference. Yes I am a heavy user...

Im not OP but this I literally shocking to me right now. Because I’m a heavy user too and ordered the 14 PM now (which I’ll receive today) because I hoped that it will last me until I go to bed at least. Because my current 13 Pro can’t do it (anymore)

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
may be the regular pro size feels easier on hands but i feel the pro max are always better in all other aspects and easier on eyes. (browsing/ media consumption/ gaming/ battery life and display), I was not ok to miss all those benefits of 14 PM so i returned the 14 pro and using the 14 pro max. Choose wisely based on your needs.

Reactions: dms_91

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I lost my phone and currently using my mums old cheap phone, so I need to buy a new iPhone this week.
If not, I would have waited for the 15 Pro/Pro Max as it makes no sense to buy the 14 Pro/Pro Max now when a new iPhone will be released in September.
I would get the cheapest thing you can live with and wait it out. The 14 series isn’t great. It seems that roughly ever second or third year they have a sub-par upgrade.

5s: great
6: bad
6s: fair
7: good
8: great!
X: lots of upgrades but too much too fast and there were bugs
Xs: amazing
11: very good
12: bad
13: best iPhone ever
14: eh

The 15 is expected to be a huge upgrade and solid built. I would get a used Xr for the time being and then upgrade in September.

• Haha
Reactions: Chidoro and d.o.p.

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017

I can't wait
I need my phone too much for work and my mums phone is pretty much a brick phone
Worse case scenario, I can just sell my 14 Pro/Pro Max (whichever I decide to get) and use the money towards the 15 Pro/Pro Max. Obviously I will be losing money, but iPhone really hold their value so hopefully I won't lose too much!

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Im not OP but this I literally shocking to me right now. Because I’m a heavy user too and ordered the 14 PM now (which I’ll receive today) because I hoped that it will last me until I go to bed at least. Because my current 13 Pro can’t do it (anymore)
Maybe it’s how much I use it? Sure it can eventually all day?
Good point. However, I’m tempted to show my age by saying that I have used phones that were heavier than many MacBooks, and tethered to a wall outlet.
if you want pocketable get 14 pro!

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
I need my phone too much for work and my mums phone is pretty much a brick phone
Worse case scenario, I can just sell my 14 Pro/Pro Max (whichever I decide to get) and use the money towards the 15 Pro/Pro Max. Obviously I will be losing money, but iPhone really hold their value so hopefully I won't lose too much!
so try the 14 Pro and see if that works for you. If not at least you’ll have it for a few months.

Chidoro

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2016
Take it with a grain of salt. I get at least 10 hours of sot over 2 days easy pushing it from 100 to 5 on my 14PM
I rarely charge above 80 and discharge below 30 over the course of one day so I don’t even charge daily with those charging habits.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
I wish I had any sort of input, but I don't since I have this debate with myself every so often. I love the battery life of the 14 PM but I want the 1 handed use of the smaller pro. FWIW I am currently using the 14 PM, considering downsizing when the new iPhone is released.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Good point. However, I’m tempted to show my age by saying that I have used phones that were heavier than many MacBooks, and tethered to a wall outlet.
Great point. Want to say talks were much shorter as well back in the days with those pricing.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I still can't decide which one to get!
Everything is in favor of pro max. It actually feels lighter than pro and you get more trade in value - you lose less money with it. Screen is much better for content.
I am a proponent of extremes because that is how you win: it is 13 mini or pro max. Everything in between is neither of those 2 worlds.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Everything is in favor of pro max. It actually feels lighter than pro and you get more trade in value - you lose less money with it. Screen is much better for content.
I am a proponent of extremes because that is how you win: it is 13 mini or pro max. Everything in between is neither of those 2 worlds.
maybe correct there, was just on a 3 day trip and I can tell you charging was a PAIN with the Pro! Outlets not working in airport, nor plane, mag safe charger only charged to 50%... almost feel too with Max you woudlnt even need an ipad lol

Reactions: dms_91

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
I would get the cheapest thing you can live with and wait it out. The 14 series isn’t great. It seems that roughly ever second or third year they have a sub-par upgrade.

5s: great
6: bad
6s: fair
7: good
8: great!
X: lots of upgrades but too much too fast and there were bugs
Xs: amazing
11: very good
12: bad
13: best iPhone ever
14: eh

The 15 is expected to be a huge upgrade and solid built. I would get a used Xr for the time being and then upgrade in September.
so try to get a 13 max is better than 14 max??

vine-boating

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 10, 2017
maybe correct there, was just on a 3 day trip and I can tell you charging was a PAIN with the Pro! Outlets not working in airport, nor plane, mag safe charger only charged to 50%... almost feel too with Max you woudlnt even need an ipad lol
So you are Pro Max > Pro?

Djones96

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2022
I would also recommend getting the 13 PM. I upgraded from a 13 PM to a 14 PM and I really wish I would've just stuck with my 13 and never spent my money on the 14. The 14 series really isn't all that great, and the 13 is really great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.