Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

white4s

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 15, 2011
New Jersey
Clueless on what's going on. Nothing new has been added or changed but noticed the wireless charging gets it hot so I'm done with that (as I was with my xr years ago ) & my battery is already at 98% at ~6 months old. The overnight drain is crazy

IMG_3545.png

Splitrail

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2021
Clueless on what's going on. Nothing new has been added or changed but noticed the wireless charging gets it hot so I'm done with that (as I was with my xr years ago ) & my battery is already at 98% at ~6 months old. The overnight drain is crazy

View attachment 2217972
what does battery/app and battery activity show? screen time?
settings>battery>activity>screen time (it's all right below the level graph that you pictured)

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My new 14 Pro Max with 100% battery health started doing that. The phone was warm all the time and the battery went to almost zero overnight. A friend had sent me a Google maps link to a place where we were meeting and after that Google maps was running constantly in the background. I turned off everything on the Google maps app and my phone was back to normal. As the poster above said go to the battery setting and see what is using all your battery up.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
Same experience / behavior with iPhone 14 Pro.

Purchased launch day (9 months old); battery showing 95% of new (it was at 97% two weeks ago before a cruise)

Only Chrome, News, and phone (occasionally) are high users. Photos, music, podcasts running in background when charging.

Phone much hotter on wireless charging than older 8/11/12/13

While I haven’t done full wipe to clean, I’ve reinstalled OS in place from my Mac. No difference. 16.4 > 5 > 6 have all been worse.

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
Same problem here in the past 1-2 weeks, SE 2020. Battery shows 98% good. During a normal day, it would be down to 65-75% by the time I went to bed and put it on the charger. Now it's down to 30% or so by 7-8 PM, and I often have to charge it long before I go to bed because it's below 20%. Never had to do that before the past couple weeks.

Biggest user is Safari at 35%, but I'm not sure why. Is there a way of forcing it to go to sleep or something when I'm not using it? -- although that would just be a workaround because something, somewhere has changed.

"Mail" is second at 20% usage. What is it doing, other than checking for new mail?

EDIT: Could it have anything to do with the latest iPhone update, which was about 2 weeks ago?

Last edited:

Apple2501

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2021
ios17 much? That's when mine started happening iPhone 14 pro max. Prior to that crazy battery life. Do us all a favor and pound the hell out of feedback. That's what Im doing. Hopefully it works

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
EDIT: Could it have anything to do with the latest iPhone update, which was about 2 weeks ago?
If you mean the iOS 17 Developer Beta, then…. YEAH, that could do it! 🙄 Betas will often have battery life issues, and/or apps running on the beta will have battery life issues. That’s… kind of the point of a Beta.

If you mean iOS 16.5, that was more like a month ago (May 18) and I’ve not seen any battery problems with it personally.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I hate to say this.. but there's no way to use iOS 17 dev beta 1 as a data point.

iOS 16.6 beta 3 appears better, but I'm back home. beta 2 and beta 1 were much worse than 16.5 (for reference, betas have ALWAYS been better than RC/GA for me - especially the entire 3+ years I had an 11 Pro Max - it was spooky).

Still, it's 2pm local time, phone was last charged to 100% at 8am, and I'm at 95% (background and some limited news reading). I call that a win.

(still hotter charging than it used to be... using genuine Apple leather case)

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
If you mean the iOS 17 Developer Beta, then…. YEAH, that could do it! 🙄 Betas will often have battery life issues, and/or apps running on the beta will have battery life issues. That’s… kind of the point of a Beta.

If you mean iOS 16.5, that was more like a month ago (May 18) and I’ve not seen any battery problems with it personally.

I have 16.5.

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
Per my post #6 above . . .

Here was my battery usage yesterday:

Blue arrow: I usually charge it overnight, but forgot so had to charge it Tuesday morning like around 7-9 AM. I was not using it heavily but had to recharge it again yesterday afternoon (red arrow) and it was fully charged around 5:00 PM yesterday.

I was not using it at all between around 5 PM - midnight, yet the battery dropped like a rock.

Something has changed radically within the past few weeks. Was it the last update? Anybody know? Are they going to fix it? As noted previously, on a normal day, the battery would be somewhere around 75% good when I put it on the charger at night.

Phone battery edit.jpg

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
Has anyone mentioned just turning the iPhone completely off and then back on?

That usually fixes battery drain issues for me.
I haven't encountered the problem (yet!) but I second this suggestion. My sister reported that both she and her son have experienced shortened battery life and iPhones that are warm to the touch lately and my immediate suggestion was to try a cold reboot (cut to the chase directly why don't we? :) )

FWIW, both my sister and nephew are rocking iPhone 14 Pro Max running the latest version of iOS 16 (16.5), as am I.

Reactions: Andy002

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022

Heh, seems to have worked for me. Thanks for the tip!

I tried it yesterday after I saw your post, and it did not drain like crazy during the evening nearly as bad as it used to.

So then when I charged it when going to bed, I also shut it off and let it charge all night like that. Today it looks to be back to normal.

Kinda bizarre, anybody got a technical explanation for this?

From the other night, and second pik is from tonight:

Phone battery edit.jpg

=====================================

TONIGHT:

Battery 2.jpg

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011

I tried it yesterday after I saw your post, and it did not drain like crazy during the evening nearly as bad as it used to.

So then when I charged it when going to bed, I also shut it off and let it charge all night like that. Today it looks to be back to normal.

View attachment 2222260

TONIGHT:

View attachment 2222261
Let’s see tomorrow and next day

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007

View attachment 2222260

TONIGHT:

View attachment 2222261
I've always assumed that there was a rogue app or process that wasn't letting go of memory and/or CPU cycles. And that a restart or even a cold reboot was necessary get that process to quit. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!!

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022

It's been mostly good, but not every day. But we just got the 16.5.1 update yesterday, hopefully that fixes it -- it's doing good today so far.

Andy002

macrumors member
May 30, 2022
I've always assumed that there was a rogue app or process that wasn't letting go of memory and/or CPU cycles. And that a restart or even a cold reboot was necessary get that process to quit. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it!!

I'm familiar with cold and warm boots with a PC, but what is a cold boot with a phone? It's either on or it's off . . . no? :confused:

mpetrides

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2007
I'm familiar with cold and warm boots with a PC, but what is a cold boot with a phone? It's either on or it's off . . . no? :confused:
No. On my iPhone 14 Pro Max, when I hold down a volume button and the power button simultaneously, I have the option to Power Off the iPhone; this is the equivalent of a warm restart.

To do a cold reboot, I have to briefly tap volume up then volume down then hold down the power button until the iPhone reboots (Apple icon on screen). This means holding the power button down BEYOND the offered option to slide to Power Off the iPhone.

Exact sequence will of course vary depending on your device and the installed version of iOS.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.