Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
I’m gonna upgrade soon my iPhone 12 (battery life is terrible after 2 years) and this are my main candidates: iPhone 15/Plus and S23/+.

Obviously, both S23 can be bought cheaper, and have some nice features like 120Hz, a third camera, more battery life (at least on the S23+ for less money than the 15 Plus, theoretically), faster wired charging, brighter displays (when adjusted manually).

I really like my iPhone 12 and if it were not for the battery life I would keep it longer. I could replace the battery, but I want more battery life than what a new battery would give me.

Looking at the specs and software support, which phone do you guys think is the better value long term? I want to keep the phone 4 years at least (hopefully).

Thanks!

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Do you have other items in the Apple ecosystem and do you rely on them a lot? Thinking more the Apple Watch.

Most people that try to switch struggle to fully commit and it’s generally due to being heavily in the ecosystem.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
I have s23 plus. Switched to android with pixel 7 Pro in December. I'm gonna get pro as pixel 7 battery is poop and Samsung pictures are poop.

I also miss my apple watch

Sorry for the poop references

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
No more iPhones for me- just use Mac's and don't care about their ecosystem.

I just can't seem to rip the cord on S23+ (currently $300 off which certainly is tempting). I'm going to wait and see what Google comes to the party with in the form of Pixel 8's.

Reactions: ramram55

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
iPhone 15 series, same old, same old, yawn zzz ... A new iPhone release is as exciting as the new dishwasher or refrigerator release, it's just another appliance, nothing worth getting excited about. If your current one works fine, no point in getting the brand new one.

Do people look at their washing machine and think, man I can't wait to get the newest washer, it will be amazing LOL

I would say the S23 Ultra would give a big wow factor and noticable upgrade compared to just more of the same with another iPhone.

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
Do you have other items in the Apple ecosystem and do you rely on them a lot? Thinking more the Apple Watch.

Most people that try to switch struggle to fully commit and it’s generally due to being heavily in the ecosystem.

I do have an iPad Pro 11 and an iMac, but I don’t feel tied to the ecosystem. I just buy whatever phone suits my needs better. I would definitely miss some features (Reminders app which syncs across all devices, etc), but not too worried about it.

Reactions: Aneres11

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 26, 2010
iPhone 15 series, same old, same old, yawn zzz ... A new iPhone release is as exciting as the new dishwasher or refrigerator release, it's just another appliance, nothing worth getting excited about. If your current one works fine, no point in getting the brand new one.

Do people look at their washing machine and think, man I can't wait to get the newest washer, it will be amazing LOL

I would say the S23 Ultra would give a big wow factor and noticable upgrade compared to just more of the same with another iPhone.

My main reason to upgrade is battery life. I’m charging twice a day. Like I said.m, I could replace the battery inside my 12, but I think battery life still won’t meet my expectations.

The Ultra is just way too big for my liking. I try it every time I’m at the store but can’t imagine using it every day for the next couple of years. For me the perfect size with me 6.5 inch screen.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I’m gonna upgrade soon my iPhone 12 (battery life is terrible after 2 years) and this are my main candidates: iPhone 15/Plus and S23/+.

Obviously, both S23 can be bought cheaper, and have some nice features like 120Hz, a third camera, more battery life (at least on the S23+ for less money than the 15 Plus, theoretically), faster wired charging, brighter displays (when adjusted manually).

I really like my iPhone 12 and if it were not for the battery life I would keep it longer. I could replace the battery, but I want more battery life than what a new battery would give me.

Looking at the specs and software support, which phone do you guys think is the better value long term? I want to keep the phone 4 years at least (hopefully).

Thanks!

So battery life is your only complaint on a 2 year phone that never had great battery life to begin with. iPhone 13 had much better battery life.

iPhone 15 should have TSMC 3nm a17 chip which will be more efficient than any chip currently made and at the same time more powerful.

So I would imagine iPhone 15 to have at least decent if not better than average battery life.

In terms of software support and resale value after 4 years you will be in a better spot with Apple although Android phones like Samsung already support 4 years of OS upgrades so there is not a big difference. The main thing I would say is your iPhone will hold its value better.

So the real question is what software do you prefer? iOS or Android. How engulfed in Apple ecosystem are you? Have you tried an s23 plus? Go to a BestBuy and try the s23 plus and iPhone 14 plus and just play with them to get a feel of each. Then when the 15 comes out do the same thing. I have a feeling that an iPhone 15 will be a significant upgrade from iPhone 12 to make it worthwhile. As much as I like Android I would not suggest that you just switch from iOS and Apple unless there is a benefit and I don't see it here.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

I’d argue you could make the same statement for every non-foldable phone, whether it be Android or iPhone. Slab phones have reached a point where there’s nowhere else to go. Was the S23 a huge upgrade from the previous model? No. Was the Pixel a huge upgrade from the previous model? No (well, a little just because the 6 was such a disaster). It’s not an Android vs iPhone thing.

Now foldables, that’s where you expect big changes each year. Which is why to me, the Fold 5 is such a disappointment.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

Android phone aren't meant to be kept four years. If you are looking for long term value, get an iPhone.

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Now foldables, that’s where you expect big changes each year. Which is why to me, the Fold 5 is such a disappointment.
Not to derail the thread, but what were you disappointed about on the Fold 5? And what big change were you expecting over last year's model? I think the hinge upgrade was the single biggest change they could make on the phone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Not to derail the thread, but what were you disappointed about on the Fold 5? And what big change were you expecting over last year's model? I think the hinge upgrade was the single biggest change they could make on the phone.
Almost everybody wanted a wider front display.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Asiatic Black Hebrew

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2022
Almost everybody wanted a wider front display.
Oh wow, I guess I'm in the minority then. I actually use the front display more than the inside. I think the slim display is perfect for one handed use. I tried the Pixel Fold & absolutely hated the form factor.

But yeah, it's a preference thing. I'd honestly be shocked if Samsung changed it at this point.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Oh wow, I guess I'm in the minority then. I actually use the front display more than the inside. I think the slim display is perfect for one handed use. I tried the Pixel Fold & absolutely hated the form factor.

But yeah, it's a preference thing. I'd honestly be shocked if Samsung changed it at this point.
It's too thin IMO. I got used to it pretty quickly but then when I had to fix my dad's Note 10+ the screen real estate felt great and returning to my Fold 4 felt restricted. It's too small for heavy use and during the day I was on the front screen 100%.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016

We're still in the infancy of folding phones and therefore I expect big improvements each year. Despite Samsung having the most proven hardware, its arguably the least thought out. Look at the Huawei Magic v2 or even the Pixel Fold. Both have designs that make way more sense. Its not just the wider front display either, its the inner aspect ratio that a wider outer display provides. Samsung are of the thinking that the outside display should just be for a quick message or notification and the user should use the inner display mostly as a dual panel for multi-tasking and workflow. I bet only a small % of people use it like that. Meanwhile, Huawei and Google went the route of making it as much like a regular phone when closed and then a landscape mini-tablet for media when open. With this line of thinking, you still get a regular phone when closed and a tablet when open. Makes way more sense.

IMO the only reason Samsung are playing it safer with the Fold right now is because there isnt much competition in the US market and so they dont have to take risks. If Huawei were still allowed to sell phones in the US, the Magic V2 would cause all kinds of problems for the Samsung.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012

Android OEM's do very few software updates to their phones. You either buy a flagship Android phone and update every year or you buy a cheap Android phone and keep it until it breaks.

Android phones depreciate so fast it makes little sense to do anything else.

• Haha
Reactions: aggie99

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Android OEM's do very few software updates to their phones. You either buy a flagship Android phone and update every year or you buy a cheap Android phone and keep it until it breaks.

Android phones depreciate so fast it makes little sense to do anything else.

Samsung has a four year major upgrade guarantee on flagship devices, which started with the S22 lineup. So any S22, S23, and Fold/Flip 4/5 models, will get 4 years Android complete OS updates.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
IMO the only reason Samsung are playing it safer with the Fold right now is because there isnt much competition in the US market and so they dont have to take risks. If Huawei were still allowed to sell phones in the US, the Magic V2 would cause all kinds of problems for the Samsung.
Being a Fold user for nearly 3 years now… people tend to forget the software experience is just as vital as the hardware. And don’t get me wrong, I like the approach Google did with the their foldable. But the reason why I didn’t switch to it because I prefer the software experience I get with Samsung.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Being a Fold user for nearly 3 years now… people tend to forget the software experience is just as vital as the hardware. And don’t get me wrong, I like the approach Google did with the their foldable. But the reason why I didn’t switch to it because I prefer the software experience I get with Samsung.
I agree that Samsung has the best software for foldables. But I think their approach potentially causes more long term damage to foldables. Samsung quickly realized that Android is not suited for foldables and that app devs would be slow to create versions of their apps for foldables, so they added Labs features to stretch those apps and force them to rotate which in the short term provides a better (but still not great) user experience. However, for foldables to succeed the single biggest issue is app devs creating foldable/tablet UIs to take advantage of the extra real estate. By Samsung, the biggest Android foldable and tablet seller, making software features that sort of does that for them it lets the devs off the hook and lessens their incentive.

Google on the other hand either understand they need to get devs onboard or they’re too lazy to create a Labs-like software feature that does it for them. I’ll give them the benefit of saying it’s the former. The reason the iPad is so successful is because Apple got so many app devs on board to create iPad versions of their apps. Open any of the top 20 worldwide apps on an iPad or an Android tablet and 99% of them will looks and function better on the iPad. That’s just the reality and that’s the biggest hurdle Android needs to jump to create parity in the tablet and foldable space.

Reactions: tbayrgs

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I agree that Samsung has the best software for foldables. But I think their approach potentially causes more long term damage to foldables. Samsung quickly realized that Android is not suited for foldables and that app devs would be slow to create versions of their apps for foldables, so they added Labs features to stretch those apps and force them to rotate which in the short term provides a better (but still not great) user experience. However, for foldables to succeed the single biggest issue is app devs creating foldable/tablet UIs to take advantage of the extra real estate. By Samsung, the biggest Android foldable and tablet seller, making software features that sort of does that for them it lets the devs off the hook and lessens their incentive.

Google on the other hand either understand they need to get devs onboard or they’re too lazy to create a Labs-like software feature that does it for them. I’ll give them the benefit of saying it’s the former. The reason the iPad is so successful is because Apple got so many app devs on board to create iPad versions of their apps. Open any of the top 20 worldwide apps on an iPad or an Android tablet and 99% of them will looks and function better on the iPad. That’s just the reality and that’s the biggest hurdle Android needs to jump to create parity in the tablet and foldable space.
This exactly exemplifies my experience in my Pixel Fold. Perfect example is my preferred email client Spark. Came to Apple first, of course. Finally came to Android a couple years later. On my iPad (mini or 12.9 iPP), it formats to a multi-column layout. On my Fold, just a single, edge to edge column—basically stretched out phone app.

That being said, I knew what I was getting into when I bought the Pixel Fold and will see what happens over the next year or two. If that software experience doesn’t change, I just simply won’t be getting another Fold.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I agree that Samsung has the best software for foldables. But I think their approach potentially causes more long term damage to foldables. Samsung quickly realized that Android is not suited for foldables and that app devs would be slow to create versions of their apps for foldables, so they added Labs features to stretch those apps and force them to rotate which in the short term provides a better (but still not great) user experience. However, for foldables to succeed the single biggest issue is app devs creating foldable/tablet UIs to take advantage of the extra real estate.
Foldables are already succeeding, but for it to become mainstream… it comes down to cost and durability. This idea that Android lacks tablet apps is one of the biggest false narratives out there… don’t get me wrong, iPad is the gold standard when it comes to tablet apps.

But most of the popular apps have an Android tablet app and if they don’t.. consumers can easily find an equivalent. Let’s go down the list of the current top 10 popular apps on iPad.
  • Prime Video (Android tablet app)
  • Max (Android tablet app)
  • Youtube (Android tablet app)
  • Google Chrome (Android tablet app)
  • Goodnotes (No Android tablet app, but a user can use OneNote or maybe Easy Notes)
  • Calculator Pad Editon (user can use Google calculator)
  • Calculator
  • Disney Plus (Android tablet app)
  • Netflix (Android tablet app)
  • Notability (No Android tablet app, but similar to Goodnotes.. user can look for an equivalent)
And I do understand the iPad gets more support from indie devs... there’s no denying that. Heck, Instagram prioritized Galaxy Fold with an optimized tablet app over the iPad.

Open any of the top 20 worldwide apps on an iPad or an Android tablet and 99% of them will looks and function better on the iPad. That’s just the reality and that’s the biggest hurdle Android needs to jump to create parity in the tablet and foldable space.
99% will look and function better on an iPad? I realize this is Apple forum… but seriously. I just opened Prime Video on my Fold… Can I search for content? Yes. Does it play video? Yes. What more do I need? But I digress… this thread is not about foldables.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Foldables are already succeeding, but for it to become mainstream… it comes down to cost and durability. This idea that Android lacks tablet apps is one of the biggest false narratives out there… don’t get me wrong, iPad is the gold standard when it comes to tablet apps.

But most of the popular apps have an Android tablet app and if they don’t.. consumers can easily find an equivalent. Let’s go down the list of the current top 10 popular apps on iPad.
  • Prime Video (Android tablet app)
  • Max (Android tablet app)
  • Youtube (Android tablet app)
  • Google Chrome (Android tablet app)
  • Goodnotes (No Android tablet app, but a user can use OneNote or maybe Easy Notes)
  • Calculator Pad Editon (user can use Google calculator)
  • Calculator
  • Disney Plus (Android tablet app)
  • Netflix (Android tablet app)
  • Notability (No Android tablet app, but similar to Goodnotes.. user can look for an equivalent)
And I do understand the iPad gets more support from indie devs... there’s no denying that. Heck, Instagram prioritized Galaxy Fold with an optimized tablet app over the iPad.

99% will look and function better on an iPad? I realize this is Apple forum… but seriously. I just opened Prime Video on my Fold… Can I search for content? Yes. Does it play video? Yes. What more do I need? But I digress… this thread is not about foldables.
I think the point though is that most of those apps are table stakes...low hanging fruit that should be available in tablet format. The fact that arguably the two most popular note taking apps haven't made tablet compatible version just illustrates the gap. If I've been using Notability for years, I don't want to have to migrate to a new app...that's the exact barrier that will prevent people from switching. So many devs have flat out stated that iOS/iPad OS is their priority and many just don't bother developing for Android because of the lack of adoption and fact that Apple users have show they'll pay for apps, far more so than on Android.

So many apps I use in the Apple ecosystem either took so much longer to come to Android or still haven't and like my Spark example, are second class citizens on Android phones. Getting them to then make a tablet optimized version is like pulling teeth. It's just not worth their time. The only chance of this changing is if Google puts some serious resources behind it and even then, it's a huge uphill battle. Microsoft tried the same thing with Windows Phone and look how that all turned out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.