Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I think the point though is that most of those apps are table stakes...low hanging fruit that should be available in tablet format. The fact that arguably the two most popular note taking apps haven't made tablet compatible version just illustrates the gap. If I've been using Notability for years, I don't want to have to migrate to a new app...that's the exact barrier that will prevent people from switching. So many devs have flat out stated that iOS/iPad OS is their priority and many just don't bother developing for Android because of the lack of adoption and fact that Apple users have show they'll pay for apps, far more so than on Android.

So many apps I use in the Apple ecosystem either took so much longer to come to Android or still haven't and like my Spark example, are second class citizens on Android phones. Getting them to then make a tablet optimized version is like pulling teeth. It's just not worth their time. The only chance of this changing is if Google puts some serious resources behind it and even then, it's a huge uphill battle. Microsoft tried the same thing with Windows Phone and look how that all turned out.
It happens the other way around too. Plenty of the apps I use on Android don't exist on iOS. You have to get used to something 'similar' which is never as good.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I think the point though is that most of those apps are table stakes...low hanging fruit that should be available in tablet format. The fact that arguably the two most popular note taking apps haven't made tablet compatible version just illustrates the gap. If I've been using Notability for years, I don't want to have to migrate to a new app...that's the exact barrier that will prevent people from switching. So many devs have flat out stated that iOS/iPad OS is their priority and many just don't bother developing for Android because of the lack of adoption and fact that Apple users have show they'll pay for apps, far more so than on Android.
Granted, I understand users don’t care to migrate to a new app. The argument I was making is foldables success is not dependent on Android tablet optimized apps. Because they exist for it. And yeah, the two of the most popular note taking apps doesn’t exist for Android… but users can find equivalent apps.

Android has a lack of adoption? If I’m not mistaken… they have the largest market share globally. One of main reason why devs prioritize iOS/iPadOS is it’s much easier to develop for…. Apple users tend to be on the latest iOS firmware. And the amount of Apple devices to create apps compared to Android… plays a huge part.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
Foldables are already succeeding, but for it to become mainstream… it comes down to cost and durability. This idea that Android lacks tablet apps is one of the biggest false narratives out there… don’t get me wrong, iPad is the gold standard when it comes to tablet apps.

But most of the popular apps have an Android tablet app and if they don’t.. consumers can easily find an equivalent. Let’s go down the list of the current top 10 popular apps on iPad.
  • Prime Video (Android tablet app)
  • Max (Android tablet app)
  • Youtube (Android tablet app)
  • Google Chrome (Android tablet app)
  • Goodnotes (No Android tablet app, but a user can use OneNote or maybe Easy Notes)
  • Calculator Pad Editon (user can use Google calculator)
  • Calculator
  • Disney Plus (Android tablet app)
  • Netflix (Android tablet app)
  • Notability (No Android tablet app, but similar to Goodnotes.. user can look for an equivalent)
And I do understand the iPad gets more support from indie devs... there’s no denying that. Heck, Instagram prioritized Galaxy Fold with an optimized tablet app over the iPad.

99% will look and function better on an iPad? I realize this is Apple forum… but seriously. I just opened Prime Video on my Fold… Can I search for content? Yes. Does it play video? Yes. What more do I need? But I digress… this thread is not about foldables.

My tablet that I use every single day is a Galaxy Tab S7 Plus. I came from a iPad Pro. I’m very aware of the state of the two OSes when it comes to app quality and tablet support. I was being hyperbolic when I said 99%.

But looking at some of the apps on my home screen right now…Reddit, Yahoo Fantasy Football, Sleeper, Twitter, Facebook. None of them have tablet UI and it’s been a while but I’m pretty sure all of them do on iPad. There’s definitely still a gap in tablet apps on iOS vs android. That’s just a fact.

Reactions: tbayrgs

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
No more iPhones for me- just use Mac's and don't care about their ecosystem.

I just can't seem to rip the cord on S23+ (currently $300 off which certainly is tempting). I'm going to wait and see what Google comes to the party with in the form of Pixel 8's.
I am now officially a BAD person.

Ordered up an S23+ at $300 off + another 15% off (between Rakuten and credit card points).

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Granted, I understand users don’t care to migrate to a new app. The argument I was making is foldables success is not dependent on Android tablet optimized apps. Because they exist for it. And yeah, the two of the most popular note taking apps doesn’t exist for Android… but users can find equivalent apps.

Android has a lack of adoption? If I’m not mistaken… they have the largest market share globally. One of main reason why devs prioritize iOS/iPadOS is it’s much easier to develop for…. Apple users tend to be on the latest iOS firmware. And the amount of Apple devices to create apps compared to Android… plays a huge part.
Yeah, sorry left a word out, meant to say ’lack of tablet adoption’. And I’m sorry but devs prioritizing iOS development because of simplicity is just not true. You can only develop for iOS on a Mac, and tales of constant headaches associated with the development and approval process can be found everywhere. Based on marketshare alone, developers should be nearly always prioritizing Android.

So many applications being developed for iOS first is quite simply because of money. There are countless studies and reports that app revenue on iOS/iPadOS dwarfs that found on Android. This article summarizes the state of the app industry pretty well. Iphone and iPad users are typically more likely to buy apps and services. If I was a developer, I’d be hard pressed to do any different.

Some of the biggest apps in the creative sphere, apps like Photoshop, DaVince Resolve, the Affinity Suite of apps, and Pixelmator all exist for iPad OS but not Android. Look at Affinity’s site—there apps are available in the Apple and Windows ecosystem but not Android. Why do you think?

IMG_0073.png

If tablets and tablet style foldable devices are going to succeed in Android, this has to change. Otherwise, what’s the point of that larger workspace?

Edit: Just wanted to add, I know a lot of ‘Fold’ users state they live mostly on the front screen. I’m just the opposite—I live on the inner screen. Unless I’m quickly glancing at some info, I’d much rather take the moment to open it up and put all of that extra screen real estate to good use.

Last edited:

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Some of the biggest apps in the creative sphere, apps like Photoshop, DaVince Resolve, the Affinity Suite of apps, and Pixelmator all exist for iPad OS but not Android. Look at Affinity’s site—there apps are available in the Apple and Windows ecosystem but not Android. Why do you think?
You are totally missing the point. I’ve stated the iPad is the gold standard when it comes to tablet apps… they are the leader in the space, again… not denying it.

It seems as if it’s a problem to be 2nd to it, if I want to use Affinity or Photoshop apps… I can use Krita on Android. And Adobe have some Android tablet apps (not Photoshop), but If I want to use a video editing software… there’s LumaFusion available for me.

If tablets and tablet style foldable devices are going to succeed in Android, this has to change. Otherwise, what’s the point of that larger workspace?
You are lumping foldables with tablets specifically non-Flip style phones… and I’m looking at from the standpoint of price and durability, both of these factors is what’s holding back adoption. The average joe are more inclined to look at those two factors before purchasing.

$1800 for a foldable is tough to swallow and when consumers have to consider buying insurance… it’s even more.

yui4

macrumors 65816
May 26, 2011
Android OEM's do very few software updates to their phones. You either buy a flagship Android phone and update every year or you buy a cheap Android phone and keep it until it breaks.

Android phones depreciate so fast it makes little sense to do anything else.
What I noticed this year is that the s23 ultra (in the uk) has held secondhand values really well. Usually they drop like a stone in the UK but this year the s23 ultra is still strong money

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I believe the other key reason is that Apple has aggregated the best customers in the world (defined as those with a higher propensity to spend), as evidenced by the iOS App Store bringing in more revenue than the google play store despite its smaller market share.

So if you tell developers they can earn more money with less work, it's a no-brainer to go where the money is.

Awesomesince86

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2016
You are totally missing the point. I’ve stated the iPad is the gold standard when it comes to tablet apps… they are the leader in the space, again… not denying it.

It seems as if it’s a problem to be 2nd to it, if I want to use Affinity or Photoshop apps… I can use Krita on Android. And Adobe have some Android tablet apps (not Photoshop), but If I want to use a video editing software… there’s LumaFusion available for me.

You are lumping foldables with tablets specifically non-Flip style phones… and I’m looking at from the standpoint of price and durability, both of these factors is what’s holding back adoption. The average joe are more inclined to look at those two factors before purchasing.

$1800 for a foldable is tough to swallow and when consumers have to consider buying insurance… it’s even more.
Phone price and dev adoption go hand in hand. Foldables will get immensely better when app devs start making compatible apps. Better user experience will lead to more buyers. Which leads to more manufacturers jumping onboard and more competition means prices dropping.

Of course the inverse is also true. Lower prices now means more people buy which means more developers start making foldables specific version of apps.

Reactions: tbayrgs

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Phone price and dev adoption go hand in hand. Foldables will get immensely better when app devs start making compatible apps. Better user experience will lead to more buyers. Which leads to more manufacturers jumping onboard and more competition means prices dropping.
It would be one thing… if there’s no dev presence for Android tablet platform, look at what happen to Windows Mobile OS. Microsoft had to completely abandon it due to no dev support and now pivoting into a different direction with Android.

And I agree, the more dev support the better. It would be asinine to disagree with that, but if theres a lack of tablet optimized apps… I would have jumped shipped along time ago.

Breaking Good

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2012
What I noticed this year is that the s23 ultra (in the uk) has held secondhand values really well. Usually they drop like a stone in the UK but this year the s23 ultra is still strong money

That's great to hear.

The U.S. Samsung just ran a sale where they would give you US$900 in trade-in value for an S22 Ultra towards an S23 Ultra, plus a free storage upgrade from 256 GB to 512 GB. If you had a trade-in, cost of the phone was something like US$250.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
That's great to hear.

The U.S. Samsung just ran a sale where they would give you US$900 in trade-in value for an S22 Ultra towards an S23 Ultra, plus a free storage upgrade from 256 GB to 512 GB. If you had a trade-in, cost of the phone was something like US$250.
That's mental.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.