Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
I understand. But is entirely unreasonable to disable features to get better battery life.

If Apple is to say, if you want decent battery life by disabling 5G and AOD, then why buy iPhone 15. If I am going for 4G and no AOD, I can save bunch of money for iPhone 11 Pro Max.

And of course, if Apple provide a way to charging iPhone quickly, then battery life won’t be problem. Just for example, the Redmi K70 provides 60W charging and can charge from 0%-80% within 20 minutes and complete charging in about 50 min with 5500mha battery. iPhone 15 Pro Max on other hand, takes twice long to charge from 0-100 and has smaller battery.

We're several generations into 5G phones and 5G modems. If 5G is using more battery than 4G/LTE, that makes zero sense to me. I could understand this being an issue with the first 5G modems, but certainly not now.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
We're several generations into 5G phones and 5G modems. If 5G is using more battery than 4G/LTE, that makes zero sense to me. I could understand this being an issue with the first 5G modems, but certainly not now.

The issue has never been about the quality of modems in these iPhones. It’s the availability or the lack thereof of 5G network infrastructure in most countries.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2022
If you are living on your phone, you can expect to have to charge it. Light to moderate use is pretty subjective.

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
The issue has never been about the quality of modems in these iPhones. It’s the availability or the lack thereof of 5G network infrastructure in most countries.

But why should 5G take more battery vs. 4G/LTE? Phones have always continually searched for a "better" signal every X seconds (i.e. if you are moving and another tower is closer). Why should the check to see if there is a "better" signal available (5G in this case) be any different with the advent of 5G?

I'm sure something else is going on that is beyond my level of knowledge in this area. I'm just not sure what it is or why 5G should yield worse battery life vs. 4G/LTE.

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
But why should 5G take more battery vs. 4G/LTE? Phones have always continually searched for a "better" signal every X seconds (i.e. if you are moving and another tower is closer). Why should the check to see if there is a "better" signal available (5G in this case) be any different with the advent of 5G?

I'm sure something else is going on that is beyond my level of knowledge in this area. I'm just not sure what it is or why 5G should yield worse battery life vs. 4G/LTE.

If you’re stayed put in a particular location with 1-2 signal bars on a 5G network, the phone will continuously ping for a better signal hence you get a battery drain. If you switch to 4G while being at the same location, you might get 3-4 bars and thus reducing the amount of pings required.

There’s no knowledge on cellular network and the technicalities that is required. Just know that the coverage of a mobile signal, be it 4G or 5G, is a determinant in the quality of battery life. It is known that the coverage of 5G is not as wide as 4G in most countries.

Reactions: AsherN and Fozamo

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
That’s why I swapped my 15 Pro for a regular 15 and massive difference in battery life. Now I don’t have to worry about it. The regular 15 is overlooked and it’s amazing.
I am thinking about the same. Previously I had 12 pro and 13 mini so I am used to 60Hz screen ;) and battery is really important to me. I don't want to be afraid of this.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
If the only thing one has is their phone and they use it a lot, there going to see their battery neeeding recharging then someone who does not need their phone so much as they have an iPad or a laptop computer.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
If the only thing one has is their phone and they use it a lot, there going to see their battery neeeding recharging then someone who does not need their phone so much as they have an iPad or a laptop computer.
You are right but Pro use so much battery even if you don't do any hard tasks. That's the most disappointing. Because of that even if you don't use it really often you back from work and 50% a least is out.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I am thinking about the same. Previously I had 12 pro and 13 mini so I am used to 60Hz screen ;) and battery is really important to me. I don't want to be afraid of this.
Can't you set the screen to a fixed 60Hz on the Pro? I myself got the Pro FOR the 120Hz screen, but to each their own.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
T
Can't you set the screen to a fixed 60Hz on the Pro? I myself got the Pro FOR the 120Hz screen, but to each their own.
Yes low power mode improves battery a lot but 60hz looks laggy on pro. Why? Because it is adaptive up to 60 hz not locked on 60hz like regular 15

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
T

Yes low power mode improves battery a lot but 60hz looks laggy on pro. Why? Because it is adaptive up to 60 hz not locked on 60hz like regular 15
There's an option in accessibility where you can limit the frame rate to 60Hz. It's not laggy. It's in the motion section of the accessibility settings.

digitalcuriosity

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2015
You are right but Pro use so much battery even if you don't do any hard tasks. That's the most disappointing. Because of that even if you don't use it really often you back from work and 50% a least is out.
I charge mine at around 2pm it's always around 10% in around 15 minuets it's 100% then again the next day at 2pm it's 10%, battery health is 100% my phone is on 24/7 and i use it during the day not all the time but i do use it.
So why is my battery not being used up as yours?

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
There's an option in accessibility where you can limit the frame rate to 60Hz. It's not laggy. It's in the motion section of the accessibility settings.
You can’t understand the difference between 60hz in regular iPhone and up to 60hz in pro. It is laggy at least on 15 pro and there is a lot info about it. Maybe it is because adaptive screen maybe it a bug. Still laggy

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
I charge mine at around 2pm it's always around 10% in around 15 minuets it's 100% then again the next day at 2pm it's 10%, battery health is 100% my phone is on 24/7 and i use it during the day not all the time but i do use it.
So why is my battery not being used up as yours?
Maybe because you use WiFi all the time and you barely use your phone? There is tons of things can have an impact

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
You can’t understand the difference between 60hz in regular iPhone and up to 60hz in pro. It is laggy at least on 15 pro and there is a lot info about it. Maybe it is because adaptive screen maybe it a bug. Still laggy
It's not laggy. It just looks laggy because your eyes are used to the 120Hz screen. In fact, using a 60Hz screen (native 60Hz) looks just as laggy and stuttery to me after getting used to 120Hz of the iPhone 15 Pro. The lag is placebo.

Edit: Just enabled 60Hz and after a couple of minutes my eyes adjusted and now it looks fine. Same as my iPhone 12 mini.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
It's not laggy. It just looks laggy because your eyes are used to the 120Hz screen. In fact, using a 60Hz screen (native 60Hz) looks just as laggy and stuttery to me after getting used to 120Hz of the iPhone 15 Pro. The lag is placebo.

Edit: Just enabled 60Hz and after a couple of minutes my eyes adjusted and now it looks fine. Same as my iPhone 12 mini.
Do you even have pro 15? No it is not that smooth as regular phone. I had 13 mini my wife had 14 plus so I know what locked 60hz means. Moreover tests show that it doesn’t make any difference in terms of battery. Again a17 is a problem.

DaveS86

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2022
Agreed, I always keep mine on 60hz for the battery savings, which there most definitely are on my device. It’s noticeable in direct comparison with 120hz, but not laggy or anything. And as you say, after a few minutes it’s not really possible to tell.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
Agreed, I always keep mine on 60hz for the battery savings, which there most definitely are on my device. It’s noticeable in direct comparison with 120hz, but not laggy or anything. And as you say, after a few minutes it’s not really possible to tell.
iPhone 15pro/max? Anyway that’s not the case because as I said it won’t help that much

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
I have a 15 Pro and while 60Hz is pretty jarring and stuttery at first, that feeling goes away when your eyes adjust to the new frame rate.

Reactions: Al Rukh
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.