Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
I had iPhone 13 Pro Max, replaced it with 15 Pro Max and it is really disappointing that after 2 years Apple is not able to make some reasonable improvement of battery life - that is actually one of the main points of having a mobile phone. The battery life is not even the same but slightly less during the normal daily use. What is the use of adding some megapixels and some secondary mostly useless loudly presented features?

Really careless ... I expected reasonably longer battery life and not just some usual minor "as if" improvements ...

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
My 15 Pro Max is slightly better than my 13 Pro Max on battery life.

It is almost 13:00 here and I am at 75% with about 3.5h SOT, I have been doing quite a bit of posting for my company on X (used to be Twitter) due to events we are sponsoring, using Safari quite a lot to post on forums along with WhatsApp (work and personal), and the odd FB and IG scrolling in between everything. This is similar to my 13 PM if not slightly better.

IMG_3243.png

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
but we didn't even get an extra hour.
I was also slightly disappointed with the minimal increase. Sage advice helps me cope:

“…All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” -Gandalf the Grey

MarkNewton2023

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2023
I have same setting on iPhone 15 Pro Max as the one on iPhone 14 Pro Max and the battery life on iPhone 15 pro max is not noticeably different from 14 pro max. At least that is per my experience.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
I would expect some radical increase of battery life with a new model. Rather than many secondary and artificial "improvements" mostly good for nothing...

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
I would expect some radical increase of battery life with a new model. Rather than many secondary and artificial "improvements" mostly good for nothing...

Turn on low power mode if you don’t want these “artificial improvements” like 120hz display and you will get better battery life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alex Cai

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Battery usage/performance will be different for each user so although the OP hasn't seen and improvement others like myself have had excellent battery life with the 15PM.. It seems every year people expect huge gains in battery performance yet battery tech hasn't advanced enough for this to happen. Only times I've seen large gains is if the capacity of the battery is increased

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
I don’t know, yesterday checked wife’s 15pm - on average it has 13h 36m screen on time per 100%.
I agree that with 13PM her numbers were like 14-14.5h on 100% but then again 13h in 15 pm is not bad at all.
Of course, there would be also outliers like me, who will have 1hr 30min screen time for 15pm because i charge once in 2-3 days.

The thing is these things deplete battery when idling because of hungry SOC and all the items running like aod, 5g, location, cell tower lookup, app tracking if you didn’t click ask app not to track.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
Battery usage/performance will be different for each user so although the OP hasn't seen and improvement others like myself have had excellent battery life with the 15PM.. It seems every year people expect huge gains in battery performance yet battery tech hasn't advanced enough for this to happen. Only times I've seen large gains is if the capacity of the battery is increased
I use the telephone in same average way all the time. So i can easily compare

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I had iPhone 13 Pro Max, replaced it with 15 Pro Max and it is really disappointing that after 2 years Apple is not able to make some reasonable improvement of battery life - that is actually one of the main points of having a mobile phone. The battery life is not even the same but slightly less during the normal daily use. What is the use of adding some megapixels and some secondary mostly useless loudly presented features?

Really careless ... I expected reasonably longer battery life and not just some usual minor "as if" improvements ...
Obviously your mileage varies. Me, I find the battery more than enough and rank the 15 PM excellent.

And my use habits 13 P to 14 P to 15 PM have not changed that I can see. I take thousands of work-related photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: I7guy and turbochgd

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017

Unfortunately, battery life alone doesn't sell.

3nm gives +10% performance or +5% battery life. Apple had to pick one that sells better.

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
I don’t know what you were expecting, but I’m very happy with the battery life on mine. Easily all day and on into the second day.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
We disagree. IMO adding image competence, processing power, etc. while keeping the already-fine battery life the same is exactly what Apple should be doing.

Folks who need more battery can buy add-on banks, or improve their usage/charging habits.

Micka88

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 25, 2019
We disagree. IMO adding image competence, processing power, etc. while keeping the already-fine battery life the same is exactly what Apple should be doing.

Folks who need more battery can buy add-on banks, or improve their usage/charging habits.
No, longer lasting battery is what is naturally needed and expected. And this is what the manufacturer shall be focusing on. The batteries of old Nokias etc lasted one week. If (overpriced) iPhone is hardly able to finish the day on one battery charge (even with the new model after another 2 years), something is not ok and they obviously don't care much about real things.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
No, longer lasting battery is what is naturally needed and expected. And this is what the manufacturer shall be focusing on. The batteries of old Nokias etc lasted one week. If (overpriced) iPhone is hardly able to finish the day on one battery charge (even with the new model after another 2 years), something is not ok and they obviously don't care much about real things.
I would like to see a better durability. It’s not ok to have a battery which only lasts 500 cycles. For the very high prices I expect the battery to last at least 5 years.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2013
Obviously your mileage varies. Me, I find the battery more than enough and rank the 15 PM excellent.

And my use habits 13 P to 14 P to 15 PM have not changed that I can see. I take thousands of work-related photos.
For me it's connected to the money I paid for the device. For a 500 bucks device it would be excellent. For a 2k device it's average or "could be better".

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
No. Longer lasting battery is not what is naturally needed. At least not needed by the majority of users. My guess is that with the 15s most users are like me, and do not want a heavier, thicker or lower-performing iPhone to obtain a longer lasting battery.

Like I posted above: Folks who need more battery can buy add-on banks, or improve their usage/charging habits. Magsafe makes charging effortless for those users willing to think and preplace chargers at appropriate locations. In my case a charger on my home office desk and another in my car easily keep the 15 PM (and the 14P before that) charged; I do not even need to have a Magsafe pad on the nightstand next to my bed, except one for the Apple Watch.

There are users, mostly kids, who do not have access to charging except at night. Those who lack access to power and use an iPhone 15 so hard so constantly in one day that the battery runs out before bedtime really need to buy add-on battery storage, not whine about wanting Apple to degrade its phones to suit their extreme use cases.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Chidoro and DeanL

Hopscotcher

Suspended
Oct 28, 2023
I charge my phone every two days. I guess I’m fortunate. My friend is on her 7th iPhone and she still has the overheating problem. I haven’t had any of the heat issues since day 1. I’m sorry you’re having battery life problems.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I charge my phone every two days. I guess I’m fortunate. My friend is on her 7th iPhone and she still has the overheating problem. I haven’t had any of the heat issues since day 1. I’m sorry you’re having battery life problems.
Tell your friend to try routinely turning off the Camera app after taking pix. There are likely other problem apps, but the Camera app was the one I needed to learn how to properly manage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.