Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klover

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2009
I had terrible battery life for a week or so after purchase and ended up doing a DFU mode fresh install of the iOS IPSW and the battery didn't improve at all. Then a few days later the battery life finally improved and is getting me a solid 8 hours of SOT with juice to spare. No idea what it was (not the mystical indexing...).

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
I had terrible battery life for a week or so after purchase and ended up doing a DFU mode fresh install of the iOS IPSW and the battery didn't improve at all. Then a few days later the battery life finally improved and is getting me a solid 8 hours of SOT with juice to spare. No idea what it was (not the mystical indexing...).
On WiFi or cellular? I see significant differences even if lte/4g is strong enough to have all bars.

loewelion

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
do you have a 15 PM? I also get around 7-8h SOT, but on reddit I read some people have around 12h SOT. Wondering what is normal for the PM

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
do you have a 15 PM? I also get around 7-8h SOT, but on reddit I read some people have around 12h SOT. Wondering what is normal for the PM
Do you get in a day or 2? Do you have low signal somewhere? Do you use wifi calling enabled?

loewelion

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
Do you get in a day or 2? Do you have low signal somewhere? Do you use wifi calling enabled?
If I charge to 100% it lasts around 2 days with 3-4 hours SOT a day. Disabled AOD, backgroundapp refresh, nearly all location services and disconnected the airtags. Most time on wi-fi

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mistletoe66

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
If I charge to 100% it lasts around 2 days with 3-4 hours SOT a day. Disabled AOD, backgroundapp refresh, nearly all location services and disconnected the airtags. Most time on wi-fi
Oh, then your battery is totally fine. Or it is 1 day 12-14hr sot when non stop use. Or 3 days with 3hr sot.

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
You think 8h SOT in 2 days is fine? What do you get?
2 day 8h SOT is absolutely the most fantastic numbers meaning you will get like 4-5 hrs on smaller models.
I get 2 days anywhere between 4 to 8h. In 1 day, i can squeeze in 12-14hr - this is all for 100% down to 1%.

• Haha
Reactions: Mistletoe66

loewelion

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
Do you you know why the first 33% from 100 to 67% I have a SOT of around 4.5h, then the second day the next 33% give me only 3h?

Mistletoe66

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2023
That is sone really ****** battery life. I can have 1 week of battery life if I used only 30 minutes every 24 hour

loewelion

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2023
That is sone really ****** battery life. I can have 1 week of battery life if I used only 30 minutes every 24 hour
Is this ironic or do you really have 1 week of battery life? :D

From my side if I only use it that less I still have to charge it after 2/3 days, its consuming 1% an hour in Wifi standby.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Is this ironic or do you really have 1 week of battery life? :D

From my side if I only use it that less I still have to charge it after 2/3 days, its consuming 1% an hour in Wifi standby.
iOS standby has plummeted since iOS 11, and while 1%/hour is still way too high, I wouldn’t be surprised if iOS 17 were significantly worse than iOS 12, which I run on my iPhone Xʀ.

This is irrespective of iOS updates, as my iPhone Xʀ runs the original iOS version and it’s still not amazing. Oftentimes it will lose 3/4% overnight, and with the battery life I get, that’s abhorrent, equivalent to something like 40 minutes of SOT loss every night. Not good.

Last edited:

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I had iPhone 13 Pro Max, replaced it with 15 Pro Max and it is really disappointing that after 2 years Apple is not able to make some reasonable improvement of battery life - that is actually one of the main points of having a mobile phone. The battery life is not even the same but slightly less during the normal daily use. What is the use of adding some megapixels and some secondary mostly useless loudly presented features?

Really careless ... I expected reasonably longer battery life and not just some usual minor "as if" improvements ...

You've provided zero details on *your* phone setup.

Did you do an OS upgrade? That causes an initial battery drain.

Are you using certified chargers? Fast-charging may be convenient, but it actually reduces battery life in the end.

Are your apps updated to the latest OS optimizations?

Are you using an energy-saving strategy? These features exist for a reason. For example, if you never use Bluetooth, toggle it off in the Control Centre. Reduce screen brightness when full brightness is not needed. You can let the device do this for you.

A newer, more powerful device is not going to magically give you vastly better battery life with the same battery tech.

Apple is actively researching how to move the battery industry forward.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Just buy a MagSafe battery pack to extend the battery life if you run out of power before arriving at home. Makes no sense to make every single iPhone 15 Pro Max THICC just because a few individuals play video games 24/7 on their phone.

Under normal usage, the iPhone 15 Pro Max easily last before arriving at home.

Reactions: Allen_Wentz

ctjack

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2020
Yet my 15 PM battery rocks. Maybe there is significant sample variation among batteries.
This is just a regular problem of linearity with this new chips since box(12+) design.

Basically my wife gets 14.5 hrs out of 15 pro max, while i get 6-7-9 hours out of it cause mine is losing battery at idle more so than i use the phone and screen itself.

If you use constantly then you get “battery’s worth” and if not then you still lose battery but do not accrue use time out of it.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
This is just a regular problem of linearity with this new chips since box(12+) design.

Basically my wife gets 14.5 hrs out of 15 pro max, while i get 6-7-9 hours out of it cause mine is losing battery at idle more so than i use the phone and screen itself.

If you use constantly then you get “battery’s worth” and if not then you still lose battery but do not accrue use time out of it.
What do you mena by the last sentence? I am constantly using my iPhone 15 Pro and sometimes it loses battery faster sometimes slower. Same wifi same apps. I can't understand it. This is first iPhone which can't last whole day from 7 am to 23 pm with mobile data only. Impossible. Unless I won't use it at all. What's worse even if I am using it I have 30% left at the end of the day.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
What do you mena by the last sentence? I am constantly using my iPhone 15 Pro and sometimes it loses battery faster sometimes slower. Same wifi same apps. I can't understand it. This is first iPhone which can't last whole day from 7 am to 23 pm with mobile data only. Impossible. Unless I won't use it at all. What's worse even if I am using it I have 30% left at the end of the day.
That standby time has plummeted. Not only do I agree, but I can also pinpoint the exact moment: iOS 12 (or iOS 11, not sure, haven’t used that one, but given the complaints, it’s likely) for iPhone, iPadOS 13 for iPads. My iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 is way worse than my 6s on iOS 10, even with the latter at 60% health with the original battery, and my iPad Air 5 on iPadOS 15 is way worse than my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 (the iPad Pro has seen THREE major updates and it’s still better. Abhorrent by Apple).

Any iPhone on iOS 10 and earlier is amazing, likewise for any iPad on iOS 12 and below. Anything after that (even devices running original iOS versions), is significantly worse.

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023

That standby time has plummeted. Not only do I agree, but I can also pinpoint the exact moment: iOS 12 (or iOS 11, not sure, haven’t used that one, but given the complaints, it’s likely) for iPhone, iPadOS 13 for iPads. My iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 is way worse than my 6s on iOS 10, even with the latter at 60% health with the original battery, and my iPad Air 5 on iPadOS 15 is way worse than my 9.7-inch iPad Pro on iOS 12 (the iPad Pro has seen THREE major updates and it’s still better. Abhorrent by Apple).

Any iPhone on iOS 10 and earlier is amazing, likewise for any iPad on iOS 12 and below. Anything after that (even devices running original iOS versions), is significantly worse.
I agree with that. Of course we have to remember that every app every process need more and more energy. Everything is heavier than before but still

Jussy13

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2023
I think at times people are asking too much from the device. to put things into perspective, I migrated over from a 12 pro in October 2023 at Launch. So for me any extended battery life is absolutely welcome in my book! I can usually go all day with my 15PM going strong depending on how heavy I use it. If im in my car, ill charge it while using my GPS. But otherwise if I'm out hiking, ill use the GPS app to help me navigate for a few hours and have no issues. For a standard day I can usually end at 50-70% and if I don't charge it overnight, ill wake up around 50% at least.

I only have 102 cycles and my battery health is 98% but again, every battery is going to be different for each user.

ric22

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2022
As I type this it is 5:06pm and I'm on 23% battery. I last charged my phone to 80% yesterday morning. I'm amazed at the battery life on my 15 Pro Max!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.