Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Evolesque

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Here is another thing I tried. So I took my Samsung T7 and it’s included cable which is one of the cables which appear to be incompatible with my 15” M2 Air when connected to the phone and did another test. I loaded up a 6.24GB file from my Mac to the T7. Then plugged the drive directly into my 15 Pro Max and copied that file to the phone in Files. 6.24GB in 11 seconds. Mac to T7 was 4.5 seconds approx. So not bad. I then deleted the file from the T7 you could also rename the original etc and then copied the file back to the T7 from the phone. It defaulted to usb2.0 speeds. After 15 seconds of counting I just stopped the transfer since it was already clear it wasn’t going to be even close. This is odd.

NEPOBABY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2023
After 15 seconds of counting I just stopped the transfer since it was already clear it wasn’t going to be even close. This is odd.

It's not odd. That 15 second wait wasn't enough. Sometimes a copy/transfer process has to purge memory and read a directory before the transfer begins or during the transfer. Files don't just move from SSD to SSD. They also move into memory space in between.

huanbrother

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
CHINA
Updated use cases with both PC and Mac, for your reference.

PC:

1. C2C cable (max 20Gbps) with a USB 3.1 (A to C) adapter: Handshake at USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5Gbps), this is the maximum connection speed that a USB 3.0 port can provide.
2. A2C cable (USB 3.0, 5Gbps): Handshake at USB 3.2 Gen 1 (5Gbps).

Mac

1. C2C cable (max 20Gbps): Handshake at 10 Gbps speed.
2. C2C cable (max 20Gbps) via the official HDMI hub: No charging, no connection, the USB-C port on the hub should be only used for charging (input).
3. A2C cable via the official HDMI hub: Handshake at 5 Gbps speed, if not you may want to re-plug.
4. A2C cable via a USB3.0 hub: Handshake at 5 Gbps speed, if not you may want to re-plug or change a port.

However, unless you're directly dragging files into the storage (which strangely it seems very hard to do so nowadays on both the PC and Mac), you'll still be stuck with a USB2.0 speed regardless of your handshake protocol, be it with iTunes, or with i4Tools on PC.

Frustrated!

UPDATE:
Tried dragging the video file from my iPhone directly to my PC from file explorer, and tell me this is USB 3.0 speed!(NOT AT ALL)

Attachments

• 微信图片_20231007174930.png
    微信图片_20231007174930.png
    136.2 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Nik

macrumors 6502a
Jun 3, 2007
France
I sent my iPhone 15 Pro back, I will not support misleading marketing. In my opinion this is deception and I think it will be followed up by class action in the U.S.

I tested it myself with multiple certified USB 3.x cables, including the Apple Pro Cable for 180$ and all I saw was pretty much USB 2.0 speeds in multiple scenarios (latest software installed on all devices, MBP 14" M1 Max for testing).

Last edited:

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I sent my iPhone 15 Pro back, I will not support misleading marketing. In my opinion this is deception and I think it will be followed up by class action in the U.S.

I tested it myself with multiple certified USB 3.x cables, including the Apple Pro Cable for 180$ and all I saw was pretty much USB 2.0 speeds in multiple scenarios (latest software installed on all devices, MBP 14" M1 Max for testing).
It is misleading indeed. During the keynote apple were pitching the 15 Pro as a professional device.

If this will be the rethoric going forward then it needs to be feature complete:

-USB3 speeds not just between iPhone and ssd but also between iphone and computer.
-Stage manager and ability to use the full resolution of a 4k display to preview videos and photographs.
-Ability to toggle between external mic/speakers when iphone is connected to a USB hub/adapter.
-mouse mode without having to active assistivr touch mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrRom92

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
It is misleading indeed. During the keynote apple were pitching the 15 Pro as a professional device.

If this will be the rethoric going forward then it needs to be feature complete:

-USB3 speeds not just between iPhone and ssd but also between iphone and computer.
-Stage manager and ability to use the full resolution of a 4k display to preview videos and photographs.
-Ability to toggle between external mic/speakers when iphone is connected to a USB hub/adapter.

Do you think this is all fixable by software or will we need new hardware?

macphoto861

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2021
While I'm not going to send mine back because of this, the USB speed is indeed a disappointment... I was hoping for swift backups.

Reactions: gwang73 and MrRom92

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
IMG_9320.jpeg

Do you think this is all fixable by software or will we need new hardware?
I think some of the shortcomings can be resolved through software updates. The usb3 controller in the iphone 15 pro is clearly decent thanks and supports of plethora of features like :
- Output of 4k/60fps HDR
- External peripherals like mics, keyboard and mice
- Charging other devices

Most importently it's unlikely that apple would state the below if they had no intention of resolving bugs or responding positively to user requested features.

The preferred smartphone for creative pros and filmmakers gets even better with new pro workflows. Users can now get up to 20x faster transfer speeds with an optional USB 3 cable. iPhone and third-party solutions like Capture One also help photographers create a pro studio, allowing them to shoot and instantly transfer 48MP ProRAW images from iPhone to Mac. ProRes video can be recorded directly to external storage, enabling higher recording options up to 4K at 60 fps, and greater flexibility on set when using iPhone as the main camera. iPhone 15 Pro also introduces a new option for Log encoding and is the first smartphone in the world to support ACES, the Academy Color Encoding System, a global standard for color workflows.

The Pro lineup enables powerful workflows for photographers and filmmakers that previously weren't possible. Now with Capture One, users can shoot on iPhone and instantly transfer 48MP ProRAW directly to a Mac.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022

You will get USB anywhere between 2 and 3 speed depending on what you are copying. Anyone who has used a computer for many years nows that the theoretical max bandwidth isn't used by every kind of app or transferring.

That's really mad. Get an iPad.

Once it is paired and activated you don't need to do it again no matter what the option is.

The real issue in this thread is people not using the right kind of cable or not understanding how I/O ports work.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
You will get USB anywhere between 2 and 3 speed depending on what you are copying. Anyone who has used a computer for many years nows that the theoretical max bandwidth isn't used by every kind of app or transferring.

The real issue in this thread is people not using the right kind of cable or not understanding how I/O ports work.

That's not true, though. My PC is reporting a confirmed SuperSpeed PLUS connection to my phone (10Gbps), but the fastest it will copy a file to the PC is around 240MBps. Versus 500MBps to transfer from iPhone directly to my USB 3.2 USB stick. Something else is going on.

moulderine

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2019

& what really pisses me off about this situation is you have all these tech review "journalists" who made MILLIONS of dollars on YouTube, get early access to the devices for reviews, dedicated Apple handlers, some even can get access to Apple C-suite, and yet not a SINGLE one does any validation of apple marketing claims besides BS "I played games on the battery for a day and yeah seemed fine".

It is infuriating, you have a whole subsection of outsourced Apple PR pretending they do any actual objective reviews. How can not ANYONE pick up that the claimed speed improvements which Apple uses to upcharge from the standard 15 don't apply in 90% of real-world scenarios?!

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Have you tried transferring files between am iPhone 15 pro and a computer, or iphone 15 and an ssd?

Yes and yes.

I have my 15 Max now for 5 days and been following these discussions. I tried to make the phone hot and can't.

I restored 11 Max backup to 15 Max and it was fast.

I copied all my DVD collection to the iPhone from SSD and it was fast. But here's the thing. If you are copying folders with documents it will never go at maximum USB 3 speeds. USB 3's top speed can only be reached if you are saturating the bandwidth.

I can't speak for people using PCs. Those machines have so many different configurations that the USB handshake might not be consistent.

moulderine

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2019
Anyways here was my post in another thread about this from last week. I picked up another 3.2-certified cable, nothing has changed I am getting 2.0 speed data transfer with Macbook though confirms 3.2 speed enabled:

I have 2019 macbook USB C, with apples Thunderbolt 4 cable
Mac OS about confirms iPhone (pro max 15) connected on USB 3.1 gen 2 for up to 10gp/s
Yet copying over 2,000 songs (average size around 8mb) via finder and its as slow as 2.0 looking like getting 1000 song written in a hr (maybe even slower , its still going)

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
I copied all my DVD collection to the iPhone from SSD and it was fast. But here's the thing. If you are copying folders with documents it will never go at maximum USB 3 speeds. USB 3's top speed can only be reached if you are saturating the bandwidth.

I can't speak for people using PCs. Those machines have so many different configurations that the USB handshake might not be consistent.

It was "fast"? Exactly what was the transfer speed? "Fast" is pretty subjective.
And all you need to do is directly copy a large video file from phone to computer (say 5GB or larger). That's plenty to "saturate" the bandwidth, and if everything was working as it should be, it should transfer at around 1GB (gigabyte) per second. If it's going slower than that, then you are dealing with the same problem as the rest of us.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Anyways here was my post in another thread about this from last week. I picked up another 3.2-certified cable, nothing has changed I am getting 2.0 speed data transfer with Macbook though confirms 3.2 speed enabled:

The question you should be asking yourself is WHAT you are transferring. Test with different file types and file sizes. Test with different ios apps.

Of course there can sometimes be a handshake for slower speeds to conserve battery life.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
It was "fast"? Exactly what was the transfer speed? "Fast" is pretty subjective.
And all you need to do is directly copy a large video file from phone to computer (say 5GB or larger). That's plenty to "saturate" the bandwidth, and if everything was working as it should be, it should transfer at around 1GB (gigabyte) per second. If it's going slower than that, then you are dealing with the same problem as the rest of us.

I restored the 128GB 11 Max to the 256GB 15 Max in about five minutes before the set up began.

I copied 30GB of DVDs in a minute.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
& what really pisses me off about this situation is you have all these tech review "journalists" who made MILLIONS of dollars on YouTube, get early access to the devices for reviews, dedicated Apple handlers, some even can get access to Apple C-suite, and yet not a SINGLE one does any validation of apple marketing claims besides BS "I played games on the battery for a day and yeah seemed fine".

It is infuriating, you have a whole subsection of outsourced Apple PR pretending they do any actual objective reviews. How can not ANYONE pick up that the claimed speed improvements which Apple uses to upcharge from the standard 15 don't apply in 90% of real-world scenarios?!
Yupp. It's baffling that no major youtuber raised this in their reviews.

I tried to transfer a 19gb video from my 256GB iPhone 15 Pro to 512GB M1 MBP. 20min later, progress was minimal. I was using the USB cable for my 512GB Samsung T7.

Then I connected the drive to my phone. Surprise surprise, the video transfer was complete in just under 2min. Transferring from the T7 to the MBP took well under a minute.

Fantastic but these are the speeds that I expected to achieve between iphone and MBP without having to use an ssd as the intermediary.

Reactions: moulderine and Nik

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
That's still only USB 3.2 Gen 1 speed instead of Gen 2 (5Gbps)

That is as fast as 30GB will copy even with Gen 2. Even Thunderbolt won't be much faster.

I wish some guys from the Mac Pro forum would visit this discussion and they will instruct you about bandwidth and data transfers. Everything depends on WHAT you copy and the applications involved. The hardware isn't the issue.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
I tried to transfer a 19gb video from my 256GB iPhone 15 Pro to 512GB M1 MBP. 20min later, progress was minimal. I was using the USB cable for my 512GB Samsung T7.

That is a random bug, your CPU is busy, or your memory is so fully loaded on either side that there is a lot of caching happening.

The same issue can happen in many cases between a computer and a drive or a computer and a network.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
That is as fast as 30GB will copy even with Gen 2. Even Thunderbolt won't be much faster.

I wish some guys from the Mac Pro forum would visit this discussion and they will instruct you about bandwidth and data transfers. Everything depends on WHAT you copy and the applications involved. The hardware isn't the issue.
Sort of true...but real world speed of Gen 2 is about 8Gbps. Still faster than your test.
Really, what you need to do is get a Gen 2 rated external SSD and try copying the same files directly from phone and see if there's a difference in speed. If you're correct, there should be no difference, but I'm betting you the SSD will be faster than your Mac.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Sort of true...but real world speed of Gen 2 is about 8Gbps. Still faster than your test.
Really, what you need to do is get a Gen 2 rated external SSD and try copying the same files directly from phone and see if there's a difference in speed. If you're correct, there should be no difference, but I'm betting you the SSD will be faster than your Mac.

I tried now and there is a difference but it is one I can understand.

First I copied a 1.5GB movie file from Samsung T7 SSD to the 15 Max. It took about 5 seconds not including the moment when it waits a couple of seconds to show the status.

Then I copied the same file using the Finder in the iPhone - Files column. It was about 20 seconds this time but from my understanding this isn't the same as copying a file normally in a file manager

The iPhone files manager we see in the macOS Finder is a cut down syncing app that was ported from iTunes. So maybe this cut down iTunes file manager is handshaking at a slower USB speed or it is doing some other background tasks during the copy which makes it slower.

Either way the problem is definitely not with the iPhone.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
I tried now and there is a difference but it is one I can understand.

First I copied a 1.5GB movie file from Samsung T7 SSD to the 15 Max. It took about 5 seconds not including the moment when it waits a couple of seconds to show the status.

Then I copied the same file using the Finder in the iPhone - Files column. It was about 20 seconds this time but from my understanding this isn't the same as copying a file normally in a file manager

The iPhone files manager we see in the macOS Finder is a cut down syncing app that was ported from iTunes. So maybe this cut down iTunes file manager is handshaking at a slower USB speed or it is doing some other background tasks during the copy which makes it slower.

Either way the problem is definitely not with the iPhone.

Ooooooops.

I made a mistake on the macos to iPhone copy. I used the USB 2 cable that comes with the iPhone.

With an Apple USB3/Thunderbolt cable it is much faster and almost the same speed as the SSD to iPhone copy.

I also tested just now:

SSD to iPad Pro with Thunderbolt cable.
macOS to iPad Pro with Thunderbolt cable.

The file copies were around the same speed as with the iPhone 15 Max.

The cable I am using is the white Thunderbolt cable Apple sells.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
That is a random bug, your CPU is busy, or your memory is so fully loaded on either side that there is a lot of caching happening.

The same issue can happen in many cases between a computer and a drive or a computer and a network.
Any tips for cache or something else that I could try clearing or resetting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.