Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
Ooooooops.

I made a mistake on the macos to iPhone copy. I used the USB 2 cable that comes with the iPhone.

With an Apple USB3/Thunderbolt cable it is much faster and almost the same speed as the SSD to iPhone copy.

I also tested just now:

SSD to iPad Pro with Thunderbolt cable.
macOS to iPad Pro with Thunderbolt cable.

The file copies were around the same speed as with the iPhone 15 Max.

The cable I am using is the white Thunderbolt cable Apple sells.

If you can make a video to show us what we are doing incorrectly it would be great help to the community.

Reactions: Macalicious2011

moulderine

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2019
The question you should be asking yourself is WHAT you are transferring. Test with different file types and file sizes. Test with different ios apps.

Of course there can sometimes be a handshake for slower speeds to conserve battery life.
1) Its file transfer via finder from a Macbook to iPhone. There is no justification for file transfer limitation to 2.0 speeds from two 3.2 USB C sources where the handshake has occurred, the CPU is powerful enough and free, and all the transfer bandwidth is available, based on the advertising. It doesn't matter what the end IOS app to access the file/media is, that is irrelevant at this stage.

2) "be a handshake slower speeds to conserve battery" The handshake determines which device is charging the other, with a MacBook the iPhone always gets charged, doesn't matter even if the MacBook has less battery then the iPhone does. So the maximum transfer is always possible for the iPhone as its battery will always be the one gaining battery life.

Reactions: MrRom92

Evolesque

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
Went to Bestbuy today and picked up the Apple thunderbolt 3 cable. Figured it could also be used as an extra for some of my thunderbolt audio equipment. Stuck it into two different display M2 MacBook pros connected to my 15 Pro Max and both showed 480mbps handshake in sys info. Promptly returned the cable right after. lol sigh…

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
If you can make a video to show us what we are doing incorrectly it would be great help to the community.

As I mentioned, the handshake has everything to do with the system you are connecting too and cable you use. These are not 'hardware' issues. It is entirely a software based decision.

With the same cable iPhone 15 Max and the iPad Pro M2 have the same connection to a computer. You get a slower handshake because that has been decided best for compatibility, stability and charging. Regardless, both are transferring data at decent speeds that keep the devices cool.

Apple could update the software to enable a faster transfer on iPhone and iPad but then we still going to see complaints in one form or another. 'Oh now the transfers are so fast my phone gets hot' etc etc.

Here below the iPad Pro M2 with the Apple Thunderbolt/USB cable. As you can see there is nothing wrong with the iPhone 15 Pro/Max hardware as this discussion has been stipulating. Why doesn't the iPad Pro have a 40 Gbits Thunderbolt connection? Why is it USB? It has been like this for a long time. iPad Pro owners were not pulling their hair out and going mad about it.

Regardless, when you connect an SSD or other devices to the iPhone Pro/Max or iPad Pro it will operate as it should.

1696746235020.png

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
As I mentioned, the handshake has everything to do with the system you are connecting too and cable you use. These are not 'hardware' issues. It is entirely a software based decision.

With the same cable iPhone 15 Max and the iPad Pro M2 have the same connection to a computer. You get a slower handshake because that has been decided best for compatibility, stability and charging. Regardless, both are transferring data at decent speeds that keep the devices cool.

Apple could update the software to enable a faster transfer on iPhone and iPad but then we still going to see complaints in one form or another. 'Oh now the transfers are so fast my phone gets hot' etc etc.

Here below the iPad Pro M2 with the Apple Thunderbolt/USB cable. As you can see there is nothing wrong with the iPhone 15 Pro/Max hardware as this discussion has been stipulating. Why doesn't the iPad Pro have a 40 Gbits Thunderbolt connection? Why is it USB? It has been like this for a long time. iPad Pro owners were not pulling their hair out and going mad about it.

Regardless, when you connect an SSD or other devices to the iPhone Pro/Max or iPad Pro it will operate as it should.

View attachment 2291241

Just tried another cable. The Thunderbolt cable that comes with Razer eGPU.

In System Information his cable reports a faster handshake when connecting iPad Pro to Mac. But transfer speeds are exactly the same as the Apple Thunderbolt cable that was reporting 480Mbits. I tried multiple big copies and the speeds are the same.

Do not trust what you read in System Information as it may not be accurate. Only check if apps are working well.

For the iPhone 15 Pro/Max I suggest trying real world workflow. The one people are talking about now are:

- Copying or writing Apple Log files to SSD and then using those files in Davinci Resolve.

- Using the iPhone in tethered mode with Capture One.

Forget about silly things like macos/Windows back up. Those are low priority and there are lots of legacy and old parts of the operating systems that need to be updated. There's no problem on the iPhone side of things.

FlintD

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2023
Toronto, Canada
Just tried another cable. The Thunderbolt cable that comes with Razer eGPU.

In System Information his cable reports a faster handshake when connecting iPad Pro to Mac. But transfer speeds are exactly the same as the Apple Thunderbolt cable that was reporting 480Mbits. I tried multiple big copies and the speeds are the same.

Do not trust what you read in System Information as it may not be accurate. Only check if apps are working well.

For the iPhone 15 Pro/Max I suggest trying real world workflow. The one people are talking about now are:

- Copying or writing Apple Log files to SSD and then using those files in Davinci Resolve.

- Using the iPhone in tethered mode with Capture One.

Forget about silly things like macos/Windows back up. Those are low priority and there are lots of legacy and old parts of the operating systems that need to be updated. There's no problem on the iPhone side of things.

I don’t have issue with getting content out of the iPhone (except for backups), it’s getting content back in that is hindered by slow USB 2.0 speeds.

Copying to an SSD first from the computer and SSD to an iPhone isn’t an ideal nor professional workflow.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
I don’t have issue with getting content out of the iPhone (except for backups), it’s getting content back in that is hindered by slow USB 2.0 speeds.

Copying to an SSD first from the computer and SSD to an iPhone isn’t an ideal nor professional workflow.

Of course I understand but the point is the title of this discussion is wrong and misleading/misinformed. On an SSD directly it is clear the phone and iPad copy data at the advertised speed.

The iPhone isn't the issue. The issue is the handshake initialised by the computer, either PC or Mac.

They do the same handshake with an iPad Pro with Thunderbolt/USB cable, as I showed in a screenshot of the connection. Even when I managed to find another Thunderbolt cable with faster handshake there was no difference in transfer time. Even the hub on my Studio Display shows '480Mbits' in System Information, which can't be right.

I would not bother looking at System Information because of that.

As I said in the last page, there are old and legacy parts of these desktop operating systems such as the cut down iTunes file transfer interface in the Finder and the underlying frameworks. They are making these handshakes. They could be updated, but for reasons known to Apple and Microsoft they take a long time and maybe not a priority.

However, I don't see how you are hindered. An OS is multi tasking and the amount of data you are transferring between the phone and desktop directly isn't that much. These phones usually have much less than 1TB available storage for files. Just do something else on your computer while the data is transferring in the background.

When I'm copying files or doing back ups I'm not sitting there waiting for it to finish. I do whatever other things I need to do like making assets, continuing reading some webpage or manual, emails, etc etc

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
Of course I understand but the point is the title of this discussion is wrong and misleading/misinformed. On an SSD directly it is clear the phone and iPad copy data at the advertised speed.

The iPhone isn't the issue. The issue is the handshake initialised by the computer, either PC or Mac.

They do the same handshake with an iPad Pro with Thunderbolt/USB cable, as I showed in a screenshot of the connection. Even when I managed to find another Thunderbolt cable with faster handshake there was no difference in transfer time. Even the hub on my Studio Display shows '480Mbits' in System Information, which can't be right.

I would not bother looking at System Information because of that.

As I said in the last page, there are old and legacy parts of these desktop operating systems such as the cut down iTunes file transfer interface in the Finder and the underlying frameworks. They are making these handshakes. They could be updated, but for reasons known to Apple and Microsoft they take a long time and maybe not a priority.

However, I don't see how you are hindered. An OS is multi tasking and the amount of data you are transferring between the phone and desktop directly isn't that much. These phones usually have much less than 1TB available storage for files. Just do something else on your computer while the data is transferring in the background.

When I'm copying files or doing back ups I'm not sitting there waiting for it to finish. I do whatever other things I need to do like making assets, continuing reading some webpage or manual, emails, etc etc
This is a little ridiculous though. Apple specifically touts 10Gbps speeds connecting to computers.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213839

Connect your iPhone to your iPad, Mac, and other computers​

You can connect your iPhone to your iPad, Mac, and other computers to transfer data, like your photos and videos, using a USB-C cable compliant with the USB-C standard, such as the cable that comes with your iPhone. These cables are widely available from Apple and other manufacturers. Just connect one end of the included USB-C charge cable to the USB-C connector on your iPhone and the other to the USB-C port on your computer.
Your iPhone will charge while connected to these devices. iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max support fast USB 3.2 Gen 2 speeds up to 10Gbit per second when using an optional USB 3 cable”

If they have crappy legacy drivers on Mac and PC that prevent that from happening, then they need to fix it. It’s not acceptable.

Reactions: Nik and MrRom92

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
USBC and 3 on the iphone is new territory for apple and us users.

I don't think it will be more than a couple of weeks before apple provides more detailed specifications. This will likely include clarifications on which uses cases will work and which won't.

They will likely also have to internally test the production phone with ios17 to learn how various popular usb accessories communicates with the phone. :)

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
This is a little ridiculous though. Apple specifically touts 10Gbps speeds connecting to computers.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT213839

Connect your iPhone to your iPad, Mac, and other computers​

You can connect your iPhone to your iPad, Mac, and other computers to transfer data, like your photos and videos, using a USB-C cable compliant with the USB-C standard, such as the cable that comes with your iPhone. These cables are widely available from Apple and other manufacturers. Just connect one end of the included USB-C charge cable to the USB-C connector on your iPhone and the other to the USB-C port on your computer.
Your iPhone will charge while connected to these devices. iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max support fast USB 3.2 Gen 2 speeds up to 10Gbit per second when using an optional USB 3 cable”

If they have crappy legacy drivers on Mac and PC that prevent that from happening, then they need to fix it. It’s not acceptable.

"...speeds up to 10Gbit per second when using an optional USB 3 cable."

Emphasis in bold.

Even the iPad Pro doesn't do it with Apple's own cable and when I got a 10Gbit handshake with Razer's cable it didn't make a difference to transfer speed.

Yet I don't pull my hair out about it because it's irrelevant. If these devices had a much bigger capacity and were transferring much bigger amount of data to a computer daily then it would be a concern and a priority.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018

Emphasis in bold.

Even the iPad Pro doesn't do it with Apple's own cable and when I got a 10Gbit handshake with Razer's cable it didn't make a difference to transfer speed.

Yet I don't pull my hair out about it because it's irrelevant. If these devices had a much bigger capacity and were transferring much bigger amount of data to a computer daily then it would be a concern and a priority.

If your internet service provider is charging you for up to 500 megabit service , and you’re only able to download at 50 megabits, that’s totally fine then? I mean, you can just sit and wait longer for stuff to download, so who cares.

learjet

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2021
If your internet service provider is charging you for up to 500 megabit service , and you’re only able to download at 50 megabits, that’s totally fine then? I mean, you can just sit and wait longer for stuff to download, so who cares.
To play devils advocate: The phrase „up to“ isn‘t legally binding. Hence ISPs like it. 🙃

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
I don’t understand why some people get so defensive when someone expects something that was marketed about the thing they bought.

Reactions: moulderine

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022

If you are going to use pointless analogies then use all speed analogies including cars and speed limits. It's pointless.

What we are seeing isn't new. It has happened during the USB 1 to 2 days also.

When the way devices are used changes and the majority of users start to change their usage, then we see all the updates roll in because they become high priority.

In other words, when we see multi terabyte storage in smartphones/tablets and users are known to be transferring that data to their computer daily, then we will see those changes.

It could be soon, maybe within the next year or maybe few years.

At the moment users can only record Apple Log Pro Res to an external drive because of space and heat considerations. When that changes I'm sure we will be able to do direct transfers from device to computer over a cable at high speed.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
If you are going to use pointless analogies then use all speed analogies including cars and speed limits. It's pointless.
We are talking about expectation setting and not speeds.

During the keynote Apple:
1. 10gbit/sec transfer speeds as a major new feature.
2. Stated and gave examples of the iphone as a professional and commercial device for photography and film making.
3. Announced a very expensive usb3 cable to support the transfers speeds.
4. No transparency or caveats were provided with regards to transfer speeds between iphone and mac.

Therefore I don't believe it's fair to gaslight anyone to say that they are wrong, and that Apple is in the right when transfer speeds iPhone and mac are a fraction of the marketed speeds.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
We are talking about expectation setting and not speeds.

During the keynote Apple:
1. 10gbit/sec transfer speeds as a major new feature.
2. Stated and gave examples of the iphone as a professional and commercial device for photography and film making.
3. Announced a very expensive usb3 cable to support the transfers speeds.
4. No transparency or caveats were provided with regards to transfer speeds between iphone and mac.

Therefore I don't believe it's fair to gaslight anyone to say that they are wrong, and that Apple is in the right when transfer speeds iPhone and mac are a fraction of the marketed speeds.

Are you transferring big amounts of data to and from your phone regularly at the moment?

If not, you have probably wasted more time in this discussion thread than you the time you think you are losing with your USB connection.

This discussion is a pointless waste of time if people are transferring big data between their devices over USB regularly.

It only becomes relevant when we see users needing to transfer big amounts of data regularly. That's not happening yet.

The weird thing is, iPad Pro users are editing videos in Resolve and they aren't going mad like this. You guys are just using a phone.

purplerainpurplerain

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2022
Yes. I am a content creator and upgraded from a 13 mini to 15 pro for better camera, greater storage and most importantly usb3 features.

As I explained super clearly above and should have been easy for you to understand, users like yourself will be catered for when it becomes normal to capture a lot of data to the internal storage of the phone. That's not happening at the moment and the highest quality capture is only possible to external storage, which does support 10Gbps connection. The title of the thread is just misleading.

When it is possible to capture the best quality video internally then we will see iPhones ship with USB 3 or 4 cables. That's when we will see lots of changes.

If it is just photos you are capturing, tethered mode to Capture One and other apps have already been demonstrated in real time. So speed isn't an issue.

At the moment you are pulling your hair out for no reason. This is the way things have always been in tech when new ports and new buses came along.

MrRom92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 30, 2021

Emphasis in bold.

Can we please stop making excuses for Apple when they just blatantly lied to the world about a $2000 device? They’ve been sued for lesser transgressions. The endless fellation of this trillion dollar tech company has to stop.
You know very well that “up to 10gbps” on the new phone does not/should not mean exactly the same 480mbps that the every previous iPhone going back to 2007 has been capable of, and not a second faster.
Nobody in here is up in arms because the 15 Pro won’t achieve the max theoretical speed the port should be capable of. We’re upset because it isn’t even coming CLOSE. It isn’t using any of the additional speed at all. If their provided hardware/software solution is advertised as being an upgrade, and it’s performing exactly the same, it’s a problem. Really not hard to understand.

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
Can we please stop making excuses for Apple when they just blatantly lied to the world about a $2000 device? They’ve been sued for lesser transgressions. The endless fellation of this trillion dollar tech company has to stop.
You know very well that “up to 10gbps” on the new phone does not/should not mean exactly the same 480mbps that the every previous iPhone going back to 2007 has been capable of, and not a second faster.
Nobody in here is up in arms because the 15 Pro won’t achieve the max theoretical speed the port should be capable of. We’re upset because it isn’t even coming CLOSE. It isn’t using any of the additional speed at all. If their provided hardware/software solution is advertised as being an upgrade, and it’s performing exactly the same, it’s a problem. Really not hard to understand.
Yeah, the white knighting happening in this thread is so weird.

N54TT

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2013
I don’t exactly agree with the title of the thread.…since my experience is that the 15pro is NOT as slow as lightening cable iphones. I’m not up in arms about getting less than advertised speeds and was happy to see a 300gb restore take 20min vs hrs. Now if it took as long as other iPhones to restore….I probably would be up in arms lol.

Yes. I am a content creator and upgraded from a 13 mini to 15 pro for better camera, greater storage and most importantly usb3 features.
I’m genuinely curious…if you’re a content creator why did you go with a 13mini? What made you choose it over the 13pro? If you’re seeing the same transfer speeds between the 13mini and 15pro I wouldn’t be happy at all either.

vinegarshots

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2018
As I explained super clearly above and should have been easy for you to understand, users like yourself will be catered for when it becomes normal to capture a lot of data to the internal storage of the phone. That's not happening at the moment and the highest quality capture is only possible to external storage, which does support 10Gbps connection. The title of the thread is just misleading.

When it is possible to capture the best quality video internally then we will see iPhones ship with USB 3 or 4 cables. That's when we will see lots of changes.

If it is just photos you are capturing, tethered mode to Capture One and other apps have already been demonstrated in real time. So speed isn't an issue.

At the moment you are pulling your hair out for no reason. This is the way things have always been in tech when new ports and new buses came along.

That is incorrect. The limit to recording to internal storage applies to ProRes 4K 60. You can record ProRes 4K 30 internally, which is what I did on a shoot this weekend, on my 1TB Pro Max. And yes it’s super annoying and a big waste of time having to copy large amounts of ProRes files to a USB drive , and then to the computer, when I should be able to just copy them one time with a direct cable connection.

Macalicious2011

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2011
London
I’m genuinely curious…if you’re a content creator why did you go with a 13mini? What made you choose it over the 13pro?
The iPhone is brilliant for content creation. This is despite the fact that I can afford to buy dedicated equipment. BTW, Doug Demuro and MKBHD(Auto focus) record their videos using iPhones.

I am a parent of two young children and being time and energy efficient is important. The iphone offers the following benefits:

-Satisfactory image quality for 90% of my content.
-Satisfactory microphone when recording indoors and within arms reach of the camera.
-All in one solution for recording, photographing editing and uploading without having to manage a backback full of equipment or worrying about external mic not connecting wirelessly.

I purchased the 13 mini because I wanted a small phone. The 13 pro didn't have hardware or software that would have made a material difference to:
-Video recording
-Editing
-Workflow

I am mainly upgrading to the 15 Pro for the usb features and better battery life which so far have been of great benefit. More storage and action button have been icing on the cake. Overall I am happy and look forward to software updates that will unlock more pro features.

Good times ahead!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.