Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At least one accessory maker is already preparing for the iPhone 16's rumored Capture button, according to an image shared today by Sonny Dickson.

iPhone-16-Side-New-Action-Button-Emphasis-Bump.jpg

Dickson showed off a third-party iPhone 16 Pro case that includes a cutout below the power button on the right edge, which is where the Capture button is expected to be located. It is unclear if the accessory maker has direct knowledge of the new button, or if it is simply aware of the rumor, but it is betting on the change happening.

MacRumors was first to report about Apple's plans to add a Capture button to all iPhone 16 models launching later this year. The button reportedly provides quick access to various camera controls for capturing photos and video. Specifically, it was reported that users will be able to zoom in and out by swiping left and right on the button, focus on a subject with a light press, and start a video recording with a more forceful press.

The button's touch sensitivity, and the fact it is expected to sit flush with the frame, explains why the case has a cutout for the button instead of covering it.

Sonny-Dickson-iPhone-16-Pro-Case.jpeg
Image Credit: Sonny Dickson

The new button would be ideally positioned on the top edge of iPhone 16 models when recording horizontal video, providing users with an easy-to-reach shutter button. The volume buttons currently serve this purpose when the Camera app is open.

The location of the Capture button will require the mmWave 5G antenna window to be moved to the bottom-left edge on iPhone 16 models sold in the U.S., below the volume buttons. This antenna window does not exist in any other countries, as international models of the iPhone 12 through iPhone 15 are limited to sub-6 GHz 5G.

Apple is expected to unveil the iPhone 16 series in September.

Article Link: iPhone 16: Accessory Maker Prepares for All-New Capture Button

sergekills

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
Moscow, Russia
It would be crazy if this button actually makes an appearance on a new iPhone.
What is it with adding the new buttons? They better fix the one they have already introduced. Most of the owners set it to Silent Mode switcher and forgot about its existence because of the placement. And now we are talking about a new unnecessary button. What the hell?

Silver78

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2013
Denmark
My old nokia N95 18years ago had dedicated photo button. It seems the selling point on the iphone 16 is a reinvention of the wheel.. its completely stupid. Incredible they can get away with this bull.. along with a few new wallpapers i guess.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
It would be crazy if this button actually makes an appearance on a new iPhone.
What is it with adding the new buttons? They better fix the one they have already introduced. Most of the owners set it to Silent Mode switcher and forgot about its existence because of the placement. And now we are talking about a new unnecessary button. What the hell?
very true..

i set mine to record video and have gotten used to using it to open straight to video, and pressing to start and stop recording.. definitely was a habit change but i love it now.

Got kids doing several different school activities... it really comes in handy for videoing, at least for me..

MacLoveMacHate

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2017
Do you have issues with Face ID?
I would say Face ID works for me 60% of the time. Funnily enough, once I'm in the phone all other apps are far more lenient and more able to recognize me. Face ID didn't seem to recognize me in bright light so I added two versions of my face, but still got the same results. I went to the Apple store and got the standard "Have you tried resetting? Do you have the latest software?". Personally, I miss the days of being able to unlock the phone before it's left my pocket. I assumed I had a faulty unit, though all apps on my phone recognize me almost every time.

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I had Sony Ericsson mobiles with dedicated capture (shutter release) buttons and my current Android (Xperia 1V)has the same. Can't understand why did it take so long for Apple to place a button right.

Reactions: miq

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
I would say Face ID works for me 60% of the time. Funnily enough, once I'm in the phone all other apps are far more lenient and more able to recognize me. Face ID didn't seem to recognize me in bright light so I added two versions of my face, but still got the same results. I went to the Apple store and got the standard "Have you tried resetting? Do you have the latest software?". Personally, I miss the days of being able to unlock the phone before it's left my pocket. I assumed I had a faulty unit, though all apps on my phone recognize me almost every time.
you may have done this already but if not..
set the alternate face ID up as well with your face..

double your chances of authentication..

Reactions: Jovijoker

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Apple selling the same phone every year...this is what happens when your whole design team turns over.
Innovation is dead at apple. Fanboys commence their abuse.

Reactions: miq

thebeans

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2009
Apple selling the same phone every year...this is what happens when your whole design team turns over.
Innovation is dead at apple. Fanboys commence their abuse.
Not really a fanboy but my response to comments like this is always the same. There will be no amazing new features on the iPhone ever again. Or any other phone brand. Phones are mature products and there will only be incremental changes unless someone comes up with an amazing new battery tech. And that will only affect needed charging frequency and / or time. Other than that, better processors, cameras, etc each year along with subtle design changes will be the standard for every brand.

Reactions: mhnd and McWetty

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
Not really a fanboy but my response to comments like this is always the same. There will be no amazing new features on the iPhone ever again. Or any other phone brand. Phones are mature products and there will only be incremental changes unless someone comes up with an amazing new battery tech. And that will only affect needed charging frequency and / or time. Other than that, better processors, cameras, etc each year along with subtle design changes will be the standard for every brand.
That’s why they should heavily improve the software experience! More bugfixing and addition of useful features that are standard already on other systems, at least as options.
And even though I am not a gamer, I think Apple should totally venture more into this territory. If an iPhone can replace more and more devices I am all for it and willing to pay a higher price.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
i like that when apple debuted the iphone they made fun of the mess of buttons on competitor phones and how clean the iphone was, now they're wanting people to get excited about adding buttons.

extra confusing because they just reworked the mute switch into a configurable button that you would think could have had some of this functionality rolled in for camera mode. now there'll be multiple configurable buttons to deal with.

and yes, i get why hardware buttons are beneficial in certain circumstances. but while you can graft any amount of stuff onto a smartphone and make a use case argument for it, there comes a point when you need to know when to curate complexity and bloat.

side note: i got the apple watch series 8 right before they shuffled around which buttons and swipes map to which actions in watchOS 10. so i wasn't really coming from a place of muscle memory frustration, but it really added to the feeling that not a lot of people at apple value UX anymore. most decisions seem marketing driven. the watch is an incredibly fiddly device, and i think that ethos is spreading in the company and removing a core reason i used to value apple.

Devnul0

macrumors regular
May 28, 2018
Greater Boston
Running out of places to hold the phone by its sides, either in one's hand or a holder for a selfie stick or tripod. Remember when the power button was on top of the phone so you could actually grip the phone's long edges holding it in landscape orientation to take a photo with one hand?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.