Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nautilus007

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
U.S
Not really a fanboy but my response to comments like this is always the same. There will be no amazing new features on the iPhone ever again. Or any other phone brand. Phones are mature products and there will only be incremental changes unless someone comes up with an amazing new battery tech. And that will only affect needed charging frequency and / or time. Other than that, better processors, cameras, etc each year along with subtle design changes will be the standard for every brand.

I agree with you. Other manufacturers are innovating though, new form factors, new designs, multiple choices...

• Haha
Reactions: mhnd

bobdobalina

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
This is a very welcome improvement. I get that people are criticizing this as either not innovative or something that existed years ago. But don't be mad when Apple fixes something.

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Do you have issues with Face ID?
I do. It makes using family member’s phones a nightmare. If I want to troubleshoot anything on my family’s phones (I’m the IT guy), I have to fail Face ID twice before I can put in the passcode. I much prefer Touch ID. I’d take a no-notch iPhone with Touch ID on the power button any day.

sergekills

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2017
Moscow, Russia
I do. It makes using family member’s phones a nightmare. If I want to troubleshoot anything on my family’s phones (I’m the IT guy), I have to fail Face ID twice before I can put in the passcode. I much prefer Touch ID. I’d take a no-notch iPhone with Touch ID on the power button any day.
Why don’t you ask the owner of the phone to unlock it for you?

ronno

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2014
Wow adding a button - not THAT is the kind of innovation I’ve been praying for.

ronno

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2014
Agreed, touch ID was all around better. Could grab the phone in bed and just touch it and look without having to - you know - get your face in the right position, etc..touch was fast and just about foolproof. As long as you have dry hands.

Reactions: McWetty

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Will be really interesting to see all the things the new button can do.

HackMacDaddy

Cancelled
Dec 17, 2019
I wonder if Apple made an iPhone SE based on an updated 13 Mini with touch id instead of face id and no notch, the sales would go up for that model?

McWetty

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2011
Why don’t you ask the owner of the phone to unlock it for you?
I usually do if it’s a simple app install or settings change, but if I’m doing something like password management or configuring software where there are multiple steps inside sensitive parts of iOS, it becomes a hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.