Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

healthyfatboy

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
They will not sell the "reservation" phones to people without reservations until tomorrow. You can go back anytime today. The lines are sure to thin out as the day goes on.

Not true. They have that caveat in the e-mail stating it's still first come first served. If there are people with reservations all day, chances are you may get one but if the reserved line thins out, they will then sell to walk-ins. Apple told me a few days ago not to come in too late because they'll be gone otherwise, even with a reservation.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Not true. They have that caveat in the e-mail stating it's still first come first served. If there are people with reservations all day, chances are you may get one but if the reserved line thins out, they will then sell to walk-ins. Apple told me a few days ago not to come in too late because they'll be gone otherwise, even with a reservation.

Fatboy - your statement is not consistent with Apple's "reserved" procedure.

Claude626

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
MacRumors,

Like many, I'm stuck at work... :( EARLIEST I can get to the Apple store is around noon.

I would appreciate it VERY MUCH if you can keep updating the store's estimated "sold out" time/status.

colin8651

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Signal Lost??

Can anyone else reproduce the signal loss when they hold the phone? I can't; one hand, two hands, finger coverage all around the metal band.

At one point trying this, I was able to get one bar to go away, but it quickly came back without moving fingers.

IDK, my phone seems fine, no signal loss, no yellow bars.

I do think I like the shape of the 3GS better although it is larger, but I will learn to live with my piece of modern art.

BTW, Apple Store Greenwich CT, Reserved, Arrived 6:30, out the door at 7:18. Only issue I had was the Point of Sale iPhone kept saying that I didn't have an account with AT&T, but had a valid reservation. I told him great, sign me up for a two year contract and charge me $199 (Contract wasn’t set to expire till 2011). Somehow they managed to get the account approved and charged me $399.

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010

Not what my store told me repeatedly. It might be worth talking to your local store specifically.

The email refers to "pre-authorization," it's not talking about reservations.

jakeacc

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Will the "Why would you wait in line?" people just shut the **** up and realize that some of us had no choice? I would love to have my phone shipped to me, but since my billing address is a PO box (and I have no actual mail delivery option at my house) I had to get in line with a reservation, and be happy I managed that what with all the pre-order snafus. I blame Apple and AT&T for not allowing me to ship to a different address then my billing.

So just realize that some of us really had NO CHOICE but to stand in line.

Um....NO choice? You had the choice of NOT standing in line and waiting a few weeks where there will be plenty of iPhones available.

bryanr74

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2006
Reservations are annoying

So, after standing in line for over 4 hours.... and seeing 50 people with "reservations" go in for every one person waiting to buy an iphone....

I must say - I am more than annoyed at Apple. Having used Apple products my entire life and also having bought every iPhone to date.... I am just pissed at the whole stock shortages.

Why the hell have a release date with only the number of phones needed to cover the reservations.

If you can't put enough phones out to the stores to cover the few hundred in line plus the reservations.... then push the release dates....

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
If you can't put enough phones out to the stores to cover the few hundred in line plus the reservations.... then push the release dates....

In my experience, they did. The "50 people with reservations" that went in already had the phones accounted for. They weren't taking away from walk-in stock.

healthyfatboy

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2008
Not what my store told me repeatedly. It might be worth talking to your local store specifically.

It must be local then because there are various people who checked multiple times with their local store and some specifically stated times when the "reserved" phones would be sold. I was specifically told in the store in NH not to wait until the evening. Definitely check it out for yourself where you have your reservation.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
And I can't get one because Apple canceled my order at the request of ATT, who in turn has denied requesting the cancellation.

Both companies are very sorry, but can't do anything to fix their mistakes.

SCREW THEM ALL

grmatt

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2010
It must be local then because there are various people who checked multiple times with their local store and some specifically stated times when the "reserved" phones would be sold. I was specifically told in the store in NH not to wait until the evening. Definitely check it out for yourself where you have your reservation.

Agreed. I still didn't want to risk it so I got there early this morning.

redddelicious

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2010
Beverly Center - Hollywood, CA No PreOrder No Phone

I was one of the unlucky ones that couldnt get through online or in store for a pre order. Came to Beverly Last Night 8pm, to "camp out". Two lines were created before I got there, one for pre orders, one without. At 5 am, there was 1 (ONE) person in line in the pre order line, and almost 100 in the no preorder line. At 7am, the doors open, 70 people in the preorder line, and 1000's in the non pre order line. I am person number 11!! The store opens at 7, they take 1 non pre order person for every 50 pre order people!!! It is taking 1 hour per 50 people! u do the math! if your in line in the non preorder - your not getting your phone today!!! the mac store should of let people in line know. They havent they just keep saying not much longer. As the pre order line continues to grow with people just walking up, the non preorder people just have to wait!!! possibly all day if the pre orders never finish.

Azariah80

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
St. Louis
You always have a choice. You could have waited a few weeks and buy it when the queues are gone. Nobody is forcing you that you have to have it today.

Some people don't want to wait a few weeks. I don't blame them. I pre-ordered mine and picked it up at 7:12am. The lines are crappy, but I think it's cool that a product can bring us together like this. Besides, we already waited a few weeks since the announcement of the be iPhone.

mastermix

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2003
Asbury Park, NJ
Got off jury service early today so I decided to check out the Freehold Raceway Mall location in NJ. The line(s) are SICK!!! Good thing that it's inside because it's HELLA HOT today...

My first gen is still working fine, think I'll wait awhile before I jump... :)

navsaria

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2004
Madison, Wisconsin
Madison, Wisconsin

Got to the Apple Store at West Towne Mall around 10:15am, thinking the AM lines would have cleared out of the "reserved" lane. Instead, the reserved line was longer than the non-reserved, and predicted waits of 2-3 hours. I ended up leaving (another obligation, plus I didn't bring any work/reading material with me) but will be back in the afternoon, hopefully before I have to pick up my son around 4pm. They did tell me that the line had gotten somewhat shorter since opening at 7am, so my hope is that it'll be way shorter when I return.

The staff told me my reserved phone was good until 9pm. (And, FWIW, my reservation sailed through online with no problem on day 1...probably a good thing I was up at 5:40am CT and trying it then. :)

I was in line for the opening of this store 3 years ago, about 5 days after the original iPhone launch, and getting there an hour before had me about #40 in line or so. This is absolutely insane...next time, I go with shipping.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
I know, it annoys me SO MUCH when people comment on why didn't someone JUST PRE-ORDER to ship home. UMMM yeahhhh, for like 8 hours we tried jerkos.

And some of us got though and ended up getting our orders canceled with out reason.

SCREW ATT and APPLE:mad:

ArosaMike

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Things are a little different over here in the UK since it wasn't possible to ore order unless you just brought the phone outright. Anyway, I reserved online last week and came after work tidy with 2hrs left till close and have web turned away since they reckon they won't get through the current queue. To be fair to them though, they're honouring peoples reservations till Sunday, so I'm coming back tomorrow earlier in the day. Seems crazy. Can honestly say I can't remember there being a queue at the end of the day like this on a launch. May try again in a bit and see what the queue looks like and see if I can blah my way in!

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Man oh man! this is insane. My girlfriend went pass the Apple store on Lincoln road on Miami Beach an hour ago and she phoned to tell me that the line is around the block. There has to be over two hundred people plus waiting! OMFG!
I love my 3GS like a mother****** but I'll be damned if I'm going to wait in line(with no guarantee of getting one) with a bunch of freaking middle class a**holes and their children. I'll wait for next week but I think I'll go over to the Apple store anyway just to see the bull****.

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
I Got Mine

I waited 2 hours in line in Uptown Minneapolis. 15 minutes to activate and complete the transaction.

No discoloration...and I figured that the bumper would resolve the signal issue, since skin conducts electricity, and the sides are separate antennae.

PS. Apple provided umbrellas for the sun, water, coffee, bagels, and frequent announcements and updates. Jimmy John's across the street also handed out complimentary mini sandwiches.

PPS. I did not pre-order. When I got to the store at 10:30 AM, the pre-order line was empty, although Apple expected it to pick up again after work hours. I was actually given a ticket and was told that I'd be guarranteed a phone if I stayed in line.

The people a few places behind me said that they had waited in line at the Rosedale Mall store for 4 hours, before they called the Uptown store and were told that the lines were relatively short and that they had plenty of phones in stock, so they zipped over.

madvic

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008
Rancho Cucamonga

Walked in, got one and activation took no more than a few minutes. Now i can go enter iPhoneMovieContest.com!

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
Glad I didn't go to Walmart. Each one in my area only received one each! :eek: The lines at the Tyson's Corner, VA Apple Store as of 3pm is still super long! :eek:

I might just wait for the white one. It just reminds me of the classic white iBook that I used to own. Man, I used to love that thing!

superfusca

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2010
At the Salt Lake store:

I had one reserved and got in the reserved line at 8:10 AM. When I got to the store at 12:15 the people that were in the "first come first serve" line had been waiting 16 hours from yesterday!

The gave is donuts, snow cones, and umbrellas.

Both lines are still incredibly long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.