Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I'm an iPhone 4S user and I know what my next phone won't be: iPhone. iOS 6 is a disappointment and I don't expect major hardware changes from Apple. I'm waiting for the new nexus device.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Dec 9, 2011
In other words, if I want to attach two different types of files to an e-mail, I can't do it in iOS. I'd have to send two emails. On the other hand, on the Android platform, I'd just simply attach whatever files I want to the email, and send.

Agreed. I just couldn't believe it when I first realised that this was the case for my iPad. It's a major disruption to my work flow.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I have the One X and I'm really liking it. Of course I miss my 4S (traded it for the 1X) and the little features that the One X doesn't have. Mainly got the One X for the LTE, and it's awesome. I've never really been an android fan until now. ICS is really put together and the notifications actually work from previous firmwares.

The unibody construction of the One X is what put me on board with it. I like the fact that it doesn't look flimsy with a plastic back cover that you can take off. IMHO, it's the best looking HTC/android based phone out there on the market. And not having a micro-sd slot but internal storage like the iPhone is better to me. I would of loved a 32GB option like the Europeans got.

The screen is awesome. Wish somehow the phone makers can merge the retina and this screen together. The snappiness of the phone is also on par. Quick, no lag movements. Everything is flush with little hiccups.

Overall it's a very decent phone and would recommend it, if you want something new.

Last edited:

daviddcmd

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
I also have all three phone currently

From what I've read about IO6 and the Iphone 5 I think those of us that care about such things will be disappointed. Not to mention if the screen will indeed be larger and the phone will be LTE I would imagine that they'll be a major battery drain issue.

To me the HTC has the better screen and camera. But at 16GB and only 12GB available there is not much room for expansion. If I were to keep this phone for two years I would need to offload pics and videos to keep the memory use down. It's a better looking phone, the white version anyway, then the other two.

The S3 have a lot more wow factor. Lots of stuff to play with here.

Both Android phones are faster than the Iphone. I didn't think that would matter but when using the Iphone after the other two I want to put it away for good.

As far as apps and Siri are concerned I have over 100 on my jailbroken 4S but realistically only use a fraction of them. Siri about once week.

Right now I'm leaning towards keeping the S3. I was going to wait until the Iphone 5 but not being an early adopter and considering past order wait times it would probably February before I got one.

daviddcmd

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
Additional Food For Thought

My 4S 32GB was $300 when I bought it. My S3 was $200 plus $20 for the 32GB micro SD card for a total memory of 48GB for $80 less. That'll buy you a lot of apps.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Agreed. I just couldn't believe it when I first realised that this was the case for my iPad. It's a major disruption to my work flow.

It also looks bad for a professionalism standpoint, to be sending attachments one email at a time. I do a lot of emailing from my phone, and constantly use attachments to add various things such as raw access logs, pdf's, and other things. When you are talking advertising or sponsorships, it doesn't look good to be sending one attachment per email.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
It also looks bad for a professionalism standpoint, to be sending attachments one email at a time. I do a lot of emailing from my phone, and constantly use attachments to add various things such as raw access logs, pdf's, and other things. When you are talking advertising or sponsorships, it doesn't look good to be sending one attachment per email.

Maybe you need a PC to get your work done. Smart phones are adjuncts to the PC experience. The iPhone at least was not designed around eliminating your need for a PC.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
Maybe you need a PC to get your work done. Smart phones are adjuncts to the PC experience. The iPhone at least was not designed around eliminating your need for a PC.

So it is your contention I need a PC just to send emails? :eek: What year are you in? You don't think I should be able to send more than one attachment from my phone? You think it's acceptable to have to send attachments one by one in separate emails? You think a person should have to tote a laptop just to send a simple email? :rolleyes:

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
So it is your contention I need a PC just to send emails? :eek: What year are you in? You don't think I should be able to send more than one attachment from my phone? You think it's acceptable to have to send attachments one by one in separate emails? You think a person should have to tote a laptop just to send a simple email? :rolleyes:

A simple email is text only. This is a smartphone. It gives me access to my contacts, calendars, web, and email when I am away from my desk. It's not a replacement by any means.

Most SMTPs I've used were designed to limit the size of attachments you can send out any. Large files are not for email.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
A simple email is text only. This is a smartphone. It gives me access to my contacts, calendars, web, and email when I am away from my desk. It's not a replacement by any means.

Most SMTPs I've used were designed to limit the size of attachments you can send out any. Large files are not for email.

Who said anything about large files? And yes, you're right, it's a SMARTPHONE, that's why I expect it to be able to handle simple tasks like emailing attachments. That isn't asking a lot, that's a pretty basic task. I'm not trying to compile code using my phone, I'm not trying to decode HD videos with the phone, I'm not trying to create 3d movies with the phone, I'm trying to email an attachment or 2. According to you, I guess that's asking too much. Take your head out of the sand.

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Who said anything about large files? And yes, you're right, it's a SMARTPHONE, that's why I expect it to be able to handle simple tasks like emailing attachments. That isn't asking a lot, that's a pretty basic task. I'm not trying to compile code using my phone, I'm not trying to decode HD videos with the phone, I'm not trying to create 3d movies with the phone, I'm trying to email an attachment or 2. According to you, I guess that's asking too much. Take your head out of the sand.

You're rude.

I have never needed to email an attachment from my phone. But if that's something you need, there is Android.

Although if I had MS Office on my phone, I'd probably mail more attachments. Then again probably not.

Last edited:

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
You're rude.

I have never needed to email an attachment from my phone. But if that's something you need, there is Android.

He's not rude. Technology is advancing at a rapid rate and being able to attach files to emails on your phone isn't something complicated and the iPhone should be able to do it.

404 tech junkie

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2012
You're rude.

Although if I had MS Office on my phone, I'd probably mail more attachments. Then again probably not.

lol how's this for polite then? I'm sorry you've never conducted business from your phone. May your fortune improve and your horizons broaden. :)

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
You guys are right that android does Gmail better than anything else. However, I feel iPhone does Exchange better than android. I mainly use exchange the majority of the time for work. It's a bit cumbersome with the mail clients on the s3 and one x. But then again everyone is different.

Try Touchdown on Android. Much better than any Exchange client I've ever seen.

Burton8219

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
iPhone is still better in quality and variety of apps and is a much better email device than any Android phone.
You lost me early with this statement... I'm an iPhone and OS X user and the email experience on Android is the only thing that even gives me a remote thought of switching. If Apple bought Sparrow and used them as their default client I'd be singing a different tune, but iOS Mail doesn't hold a candle to GMail on Android.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Everyone uses their phone differently, let's not turn this into a troll house like the other three threads. If you don't need to send attachments on your phone and you are happy with that, more power to you. If you need to send a billion attachments from a phone and can do it you have the perfect device for you. maybe one day, i can put my hand through the phone and choke the trolls, then we can say technology has evolved.

if you like what you have, and it works for you, there's really no sense in arguing about it on the internet. Remember the old saying...

url

Aquaporin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
USA
Are you guys creating and editing content from your smart phones? I use my smart phone for consumption, and I use my PC (MacBook Pro) for creation of content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.