Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Aaaahh Android...

I can always root no matter which version I have in my phone... not like iOS, where I needed to wait months for a new jailbreak when iOS was updated...

So good...

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I used my navigsation today for the first time since early July. Was going to a store and just forgot which direction i needed to go off the freeway(North or South) to get there so i just put in the name of it and wow.....i didnt see this before but the maps are friggin awesome looking now. Much better than ever before.

I cant imagine iOS6 having their Maps look like this when the new iPhone comes out.

Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-03.png

Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-11.png

Screenshot_2012-08-05-11-26-57.png

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I used my navigsation today for teh first time in a little while. Was going to a store and just forgot which way i needed to go off teh freeway(North or South) to get there so i just put in the name of it and wow.....i didnt see this before but the maps are friggin awesome looking now. Much better than ever before.

I cant imagine iOS6 having their Maps close to this for while.

May I ask why they're so amazing? It's just the directions on top of satellite images.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Which looks amazing. Does your do that?

Maybe i never had it in satellite form before but it sure looks pretty cool and gives more detail.

If I turned on satellite in iOS 6 it would.

In iOS 5, it shows the satellite view and directions but no turn by turn (obviously).

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If I turned on satellite in iOS 6 it would.

In iOS 5, it shows the satellite view and directions but no turn by turn (obviously).

Then you dont have it since only developers have iOS 6. Maybe the new Maps will have it, maybe not. I cant see the new maps being close to Googles maps at this stage.

In anycase, im just saying its the first time ive used that look and i like the details it gives to show things around you.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Then you dont have it since only developers have iOS 6. Maybe the new Maps will have it, maybe not. I cant see the new maps being close to Googles maps at this stage.

In anycase, im just saying its the first time ive used that look and i like the details it gives to show things around you.

It will have it, not "maybe". I've used the latest beta. Again, the current public version of iOS has it as well, sans the turn by turn.

----------

This isn't the best picture because the 3D is on and it didn't finish loading, but you can clearly see turn by turn + satellite.

(not my picture)

iOS-6-Hands-On-Turn-by-Turn-directions.jpg

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
It will have it, not "maybe". I've used the latest beta. Again, the current public version of iOS has it as well, sans the turn by turn.

----------

This isn't the best picture because the 3D is on and it didn't finish loading, but you can clearly see turn by turn + satellite.

(not my picture)

This looks like butt compared to the 3D view above. Have any better pictures?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
This looks like butt compared to the 3D view above. Have any better pictures?

I would if I was still on beta 3 but I'm not. I did a quick Google Images search couldn't find any better pictures.

(The GS3 in Vegas' pictures aren't in 3D, it's just plain old satellite.)

I was just trying to prove that the 4S can show satellite and 3d imagery while doing turn by turn. It was only because the screenshot appears to be taken before the 3D imagery loaded fully because it doesn't normally look as bad as that.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I would if I was still on beta 3 but I'm not. I did a quick Google Images search couldn't find any better pictures.

(The GS3 in Vegas' pictures aren't in 3D, it's just plain old satellite.)

I was just trying to prove that the 4S can show satellite and 3d imagery while doing turn by turn. It was only because the screenshot appears to be taken before the 3D imagery loaded fully because it doesn't normally look as bad as that.

Yeah but i dont really care to know that. You just always want to show us something...lol. I know yours isnt as good and wont be for a while.

Mine shows street names, highways names, the interstate , the turn by turn works great and it zooms in and out perfectly when needed.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Yeah but i dont really care to know that. You just always want to show us something...lol. I know yours isnt as good and wont be for a while.

Mine shows street names, highways names, the interstate , the turn by turn works great and it zooms in and out perfectly when needed.

iOS 6 maps does all of that, and it does it very well, especially zooming in and out during turn by turn. The satellite imagery on Apple Maps is more up-to-date than Google in my area. It runs very smooth, so just because Android has had turn by turn all this time, doesn't necessarily mean it has the best maps experience.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
One think I did which was pretty amazing on my S3 is I installed a new TTS voice over the default Google voice for the Navigation. It sounds so real it's freakin amazing. :D

Uploading a video to youtube to my fellow S3ians who want in on this! Video made w/ the iPad XD

Edit: Video uploaded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pe4Be_oMKs

I dont have that speech option. Just Google text to speech or Samsung TTS

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
I redid the video showing where it is in the market. I forgot I can record my desktop on my S3 with voice enabled.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
iOS 6 maps does all of that, and it does it very well, especially zooming in and out during turn by turn. The satellite imagery on Apple Maps is more up-to-date than Google in my area. It runs very smooth, so just because Android has had turn by turn all this time, doesn't necessarily mean it has the best maps experience.

And it doesnt have to be. It is pretty good and gets me from A to B. I just never used it in satellite mode before and thought it looked pretty impressive. I just like to see the detail of the area.

Ive no idea what Apple is doing and it doesnt really matter to me anyways.

Eddie Bombay

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2011
Download SVOX. I prefer a female English accent, so I have 'Victoria's voice from England. They have just about every language supported in SVOX.

Keep in mind that Google navigation requires the text to speech voice to match the phone language so you need to change it in settings.

Oh yea, SVOX is also 2.99 ea.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Thats understood, but you also mentioned how you couldn't imagine Apple maps having this feature in iOS 6 which is why I pointed out it was possible. That's all.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Personally, I don't really care for any satellite imagery while using turn by turn navigation. I just don't see any benefit in a bird's eye satellite view while on the ground using turn by turn. Navigon and Mapquest are just fine and at getting me where I need to go. However I do love using Google maps for street view for a point of reference or just to explore. For that reason alone I do hope Google maps is available in the app store or Cydia when iOS6 is released.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
So what the hell is going on with the iOS youtube app????

Apple removed it from the stock OS and google will make the app for iOS.
I don't have a problem with it and the app will probably be better now.

I also think it's good because it's one less stock app that you can't get rid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.