Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
So what the hell is going on with the iOS youtube app????

Apple's license to use the app on their iOS devices ended and I guess they can't and / or don't want to renew it (not sure if it's possible to do so or not) so they removed it from the latest beta. So, Google will be creating a Youtube app and will release it on the App Store.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I would if I was still on beta 3 but I'm not. I did a quick Google Images search couldn't find any better pictures.

(The GS3 in Vegas' pictures aren't in 3D, it's just plain old satellite.)

I was just trying to prove that the 4S can show satellite and 3d imagery while doing turn by turn. It was only because the screenshot appears to be taken before the 3D imagery loaded fully because it doesn't normally look as bad as that.

Sorry, by 3D I meant driving view. As in you can see the horizon vs a directly overhead aerial view.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I used my navigsation today for the first time since early July. Was going to a store and just forgot which direction i needed to go off the freeway(North or South) to get there so i just put in the name of it and wow.....i didnt see this before but the maps are friggin awesome looking now. Much better than ever before.

I cant imagine iOS6 having their Maps look like this when the new iPhone comes out.

Do you normally go to stores 22hrs away from you. :)

kdarling

macrumors P6
AT&T has nothing to do with 3rd party apps. Why would you mention them.

AT&T has always had a lot of influence over Apple's media related app selection, from the original WiFi-only Skype to delaying the Google Voice app, to WiFi-only Facetime. They also got Apple to show "4G" for HSPA+.

Apple has publicly stated that they listen to AT&T's suggestions over bandwidth intensive apps. Apple also told the FCC in 2009 that their contract with AT&T kept them from allowing VoIP and TV redirection:

There is a provision in Apple’s agreement with AT&T that obligates Apple not to include functionality in any Apple phone that enables a customer to use AT&T’s cellular network service to originate or terminate a VoIP session without obtaining AT&T’s permission. Apple honors this obligation, in addition to respecting AT&T’s customer Terms of Service, which, for example, prohibit an AT&T customer from using AT&T’s cellular service to redirect a TV signal to an iPhone.” - Apple

Last edited:

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
AT&T has always had a lot of influence over Apple's media related app selection, from the original WiFi-only Skype to delaying the Google Voice app, to WiFi-only Facetime. They also got Apple to show "4G" for HSPA+.

Apple has publicly stated that they listen to AT&T's suggestions over bandwidth intensive apps. Apple also told the FCC in 2009 that their contract with AT&T kept them from allowing VoIP and TV redirection:

“There is a provision in Apple’s agreement with AT&T that obligates Apple not to include functionality in any Apple phone that enables a customer to use AT&T’s cellular network service to originate or terminate a VoIP session without obtaining AT&T’s permission. Apple honors this obligation, in addition to respecting AT&T’s customer Terms of Service, which, for example, prohibit an AT&T customer from using AT&T’s cellular service to redirect a TV signal to an iPhone.” - Apple

That's true but there's already a youtube app on the iPhone so I can't really see AT&T saying no to a youtube app especially with all the Andriod based phones they sell.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
AT&T could specify limits, for example that HD quality isn't allowed except over WiFi.

(Has that particular limit been dropped in the last two years?)

I don't use the youtube app all that often. Does it block HD video on the current one? I was saying I don't see AT&T saying no youtube app from google not what restrictions may or may not be imposed.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
iTried the S3 today, really loved the Widgets/customization options, just being able to add a little widget to quickly adjust the screen brightness made my life a little easier today.

BUT, I can't get over the screen resolution coming from the 4S and having an iPad3. Additionally, the camera quality is TERRIBBBLE. One thing I appreciate with my 4S is being able to take a great pic, touch it up with an app and post it. I couldn't even get the S3 to focus properly on an overhead light in my apartment.

Taking it back tomorrow, hoping the new iPhone is slightly bigger and maybe some customization options:confused::confused:

Lastly, I got AT&T to give me a $36 credit on my bill before I even went to the store to buy phone towards activation fee and a $35 credit to cover the restocking fee! All you have to do it ask!

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
iTried the S3 today, really loved the Widgets/customization options, just being able to add a little widget to quickly adjust the screen brightness made my life a little easier today.

BUT, I can't get over the screen resolution coming from the 4S and having an iPad3. Additionally, the camera quality is TERRIBBBLE. One thing I appreciate with my 4S is being able to take a great pic, touch it up with an app and post it. I couldn't even get the S3 to focus properly on an overhead light in my apartment.

Taking it back tomorrow, hoping the new iPhone is slightly bigger and maybe some customization options:confused::confused:

Lastly, I got AT&T to give me a $36 credit on my bill before I even went to the store to buy phone towards activation fee and a $35 credit to cover the restocking fee! All you have to do it ask!

I seriously wish we would stop seeing these sort of posts. The S3 is not a dumb camera on a smartphone like with the iphone. The S3 has a smart camera, on a smartphone and it needs a smart operator. The camera quality is actually better than the phones, but only if the property settings are used. If you aren't willing to set up what kind of shot you want, then expect bad pics. If you need to get a decent shot quickly, change to a 20 burst mode and pick best picture. "

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California

Disagree with your comment on the camera. Aside from the larger screen, that is the second most obvious advantage the Galaxy S3 has over the iPhone 4S. You either have a defective device, don't know how to use the camera settings, or are fabricating your experience. If you want to see my personal examples of the S3 camera, they are all over the food thread in the Photo Gallery forum.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Er terrible? The camera is actually the only thing i LOVE about this phone. My point and shoot is weeping in the corner. May be you are not focusing correctly or have a bad batch?

However phone cameras have a long way to go before matching my DSLR :) May be pureview will bridge that faster.

Doggman

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
I think that's if you're on a contact, say texting, you can just lift the receiver & it just calls. It's just too much work to scroll to the top & press call.

Okay I only read the first page of this thread so I apologize in advance but I had to reply to this...

You do know that you can click the Time at the top of the screen and it auto scrolls to the top of ANYTHING (messages, emails, web pages, etc) on the iPhone. Thus making it two clicks away from calling someone while texting...

I found out recently that my friend (6 month+ owner of his first iPhone ever in the 4S flavor) did not know about this feature... He was quite happy when I told him about it...

Disclaimer: I am not saying the iPhone is better or worse. I have no opinion on Android vs iOS because I've never owned or used an Android device (one is being shipped to me as we speak tho :D)

P.S. - sorry if someone already brought this up.. didnt want to read 10+ pages just to respond to this post

EDIT: damn 10+ was a little off... turns out its 47 ha

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.