Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Good afternoon folks!

I have one important question due to battery drain and ios 7 with ur iphones especially also concering the iphone 5. I own an iphone 5 and i was always used to use my phone under ios 6 like for 10 hours of usage, only on wifi, haeavily use of facebook, what s app text messages and news apps.
When in september the new ios update came out, i directly updated my phone to it. Unfortunately instead of having 9 hours of usage, i only got like 5 hours. So i send my phone back to my provider and to reparation, and they directly swapped my phone against a new iphone 5. Since november i am using ios 6 because of these long usage stats and i am really happy about it because i always can rely on my phone.
However i am a little bit afraid of updating to ios7 , since there are a lot of people complaining out there about battery drain.
Did someone experienced sth similar as me?
What do u think, any advice?
Thank u very much in advance!!

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The battery on my i5 has been lousy since 7.0 and 7.1 made it slightly worse.

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Ah damn it.... I really don t know what to do! Thank u very much guys

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
No really major problems here (7.0.4 intl. iP5). All I need to do is activate flight mode during the night; then, the battery only drops some 4-5% during the night, unlike when the radios are on, when it drops far more rapidly.

If you can recharge at least once a day, I'd think it's acceptable. Definitely not a Nokia (my Nokia 808 PureView (the final Symbian Nokia flagship) has much better battery life); but still better than many Android phones.

kalms

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2014
I've noticed a dip in overall usage with the battery however I'm always within 10 feet of a charger so hardly let the battery run down. Car charger, home charger etc....

Shuri

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2011
After iOS 7.0 I was happy to get the same battery life as on 6.1.4
But 7.1 actually made things worse... What I realized is that it stayed the same in wifi but got much worse on 3G/H+.. So I guess it has to be a bug with the antenna usage or so, but I don't know.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
Good afternoon folks!

I have one important question due to battery drain and ios 7 with ur iphones especially also concering the iphone 5. I own an iphone 5 and i was always used to use my phone under ios 6 like for 10 hours of usage, only on wifi, haeavily use of facebook, what s app text messages and news apps.
When in september the new ios update came out, i directly updated my phone to it. Unfortunately instead of having 9 hours of usage, i only got like 5 hours. So i send my phone back to my provider and to reparation, and they directly swapped my phone against a new iphone 5. Since november i am using ios 6 because of these long usage stats and i am really happy about it because i always can rely on my phone.
However i am a little bit afraid of updating to ios7 , since there are a lot of people complaining out there about battery drain.
Did someone experienced sth similar as me?
What do u think, any advice?
Thank u very much in advance!!

My iPhone 5 had good battery life on iOS6.x, but thius has gone bad progressively with every update from 7.03, 04, 05, 06 and finally 7.1 I always lug my charger around in my pocket now. battery, with absolute minimal use, is five hours or even less. My son has a 5S and his battery life is better on 7.1 than my straight 5.

adminaaah

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2013
I would suggest not to update. iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 is smooth but the battery takes a hit. Just stay on iOS 6 and you'll be good. I have a new iPhone about 4 months old and the battery is draining like crazy.

-

SWD

macrumors member
May 3, 2011
Perhaps the update turned on a few extra radios you don't use (Bluetooth), or cranked brightness.

ALWAYS charge it in the car, might as well.

I haven't noticed anything major on my iPhone 5 in terms go battery life.

If you use Mavericks you need ios 7, for items like photo stream. Photo Stream updates fine on my Mavs macs, but an older mac running a hacked ML stopped updating the stream once I updated the phone.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
I've not noticed anything to out of the ordinary on my iPhone 5 and thats even after getting a new car that i can connect up to with Bluetooth so gone from that being turned off to it always being on now.

Adamsappel

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2014
I would suggest not to update. iOS 7 on the iPhone 5 is smooth but the battery takes a hit. Just stay on iOS 6 and you'll be good. I have a new iPhone about 4 months old and the battery is draining like crazy.

-

And the SYNC on iOS 6 WORKS! :D

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
about the same here as well.

I have a 5 and a 5s. When I got my new. 5s, the 5 had a new battery put in. Initially on 7.04 both phones, which run identical software , had exactly the same battery life. On 7.1, now the 5s has teriffic battery life, while the 5 battery life is terrible. There's definitely an issue.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have a 5 and a 5s. When I got my new. 5s, the 5 had a new battery put in. Initially on 7.04 both phones, which run identical software , had exactly the same battery life. On 7.1, now the 5s has teriffic battery life, while the 5 battery life is terrible. There's definitely an issue.
Sounds like there might be something in your case and perhaps some others. Things have been about the same on my iPhone 5 and another one in the family.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My i5 has had abysmal battery life with iOS7.
Nobody believes there is an issue, other than those with an affected iPhone 5.
This constant recharging will make the battery meet its maker much quicker than it should.

$M.H$

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2014
The battery is just a **** on iPod touch 5 iOS 7
And the device is slow and the RAM (opening apps in the background) is also a ****

Why WE CANT DOWNGRADE TO IOS6

:( :"-(

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
I am not having troubles at all using and ios6 device, of course there are some apps that u can't use on iso7 because they recquire ios7 but that's okay, there is always a solution for everything. It is just that it sucks that we are not able to update a phone that will suffer afterwards from battery drain even if it is a new one. That a not logical.
Sorry again that i started a thread about battery life again, but i just wanted to be sure if some people facd the same problems as me.
For example since I updated my ipad 4 to iso7, there also i noticed a big change in the battery life. It got worser and i send it in to apple. But of course they didn t swap it because they said that the battery was really good... I really don t get all this..

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Sounds like there might be something in your case and perhaps some others. Things have been about the same on my iPhone 5 and another one in the family.

I have a suspicion that just before 7.1 final release something got tweaked for the 64 bit processor and it wasn't adequately tested on the older processors.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have a suspicion that just before 7.1 final release something got tweaked for the 64 bit processor and it wasn't adequately tested on the older processors.
But it doesn't really seem to affect things across the board as far as iPhone 5 is concerned. Something else or at least in addition must be in play there.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My battery doesn't last a full day anymore. I've grown to accept it and carry a charger with me.

We shouldn't have to though, should we?
I'm approx 3 hours down per charge cycle compared to how my i5 performed with iOS 6.1.4 and that's a HELL of a big drop in one of *the* most important features. Who cares what iOS7 looks like when it does THAT to my phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.