Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mich070

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
We shouldn't have to though, should we?
I'm approx 3 hours down per charge cycle compared to how my i5 performed with iOS 6.1.4 and that's a HELL of a big drop in one of *the* most important features. Who cares what iOS7 looks like when it does THAT to my phone?

You're damn ****ing right...

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I'm approx 3 hours down per charge cycle compared to how my i5 performed with iOS 6.1.4 and that's a HELL of a big drop in one of *the* most important features. Who cares what iOS7 looks like when it does THAT to my phone?

Wow that's really bad. What in the world is going on? Why can't they sort that out? Maybe time to toss out some new code and put some old code back in.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
My battery started terribly when 7.1 came out, but in the last few weeks its actually better than iOS6, same kind of usage and going to bed with 30-40% instead of 20-30%, small increase but better!

Its almost like its learning... Scary.

xoAnna

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2013
Planet Earth…

THIS! I hope Apple can address this issue in the next release, or sooner! It really sucks when I have no access to a viable outlet to charge my i5... :mad:

perse

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2013
My battery life went right down the toilet when I went to iOS 7. Don't do the switch to iOS 7 if you can avoid it!

AHDuke99

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2002
Charleston, SC

I wish I could go back to iOS 6, but I can't so I'm kind of stuck. I don't know what else to do. My phone will last like a half a day if I use it pretty regularly. Even when I don't, it barely lasts a full day even when sitting idle. Under iOS 6, I could get 2 days out of it if I absolutely had to.

joshisaboss

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2013
Earth
I too made the mistake of 'upgrading' to iOS 7 when it first came out. My 5 could last 2 days of heavy usage under 6.1.4 now I only get a half day under heavy usage in 7.1

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I waited patiently for 7.1, stupidly thinking that it would fix the six long months of dreadful battery life I had been experiencing since installing iOS7. It didn't fix it AT ALL, in fact the battery drained slightly faster! Epic fail.
So there we have it, Apple have moved on and are now concentrating on the iPhone 6 and beyond. Even the 5S is old hat now. Let's face it, there will be never be a fix for the iPhone 5 battery life issue. Apple have long forgotten the i5.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I waited patiently for 7.1, stupidly thinking that it would fix the six long months of dreadful battery life I had been experiencing since installing iOS7. It didn't fix it AT ALL, in fact the battery drained slightly faster! Epic fail.
So there we have it, Apple have moved on and are now concentrating on the iPhone 6 and beyond. Even the 5S is old hat now. Let's face it, there will be never be a fix for the iPhone 5 battery life issue. Apple have long forgotten the i5.

Or, they may have intentionally mess up the battery life to force us to upgrade to the 5s/6? Wouldn't be the first case of their deliberately dumbing down "old" models when releasing major OS upgrades, to put it mildly...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Or, they may have intentionally mess up the battery life to force us to upgrade to the 5s/6? Wouldn't be the first case of their deliberately dumbing down "old" models when releasing major OS upgrades, to put it mildly...

They continue to sell the 'old' model at full price right up to the day the new model hits the stores. My iPhone 5 was barely two months old when iOS7 was released and to me, was still a source of 'new' enjoyment. Apple drained that, along with the battery...
Anyway, I'm over it now. I learnt a big lesson - never 'upgrade' from the o/s my phone ships with. Ever. I rarely use any of the 'new' features anyway, and can easily live without them. If Android wasn't such a privacy free zone I would jump ship after the way I've been treated with my iPhone 5, but sadly it looks like I'll be staying with iPhones for the forseeable future. Not happy about that right now!

I had a play around with my partner's Android phone the other day and although it's a nice bit of kit, and better than my iPhone in many respects, I can't abide the lack of privacy. Even installing something so simple as a flashlight, the app asks for access to your internet history, call logs, contact list, location, and data plan before you can proceed. Decline and you end up with no apps!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.