Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marloz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2012
CaratJack, please note that this will only send the message as an MMS, not an SMS.

Micmac.vietnam

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2012
Seems the problem concerns also Sprint clients with their iPhone confirmed unlocked by Sprint, no SMS sending for them too outside US !... Apple and Sprint keep quiet since 2 weeks now, no solution , no information on what's going on ... This is the way they take care about their client who made their successful iPhone 5 launch !

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Seems the problem concerns also Sprint clients with their iPhone confirmed unlocked by Sprint, no SMS sending for them too outside US !... Apple and Sprint keep quiet since 2 weeks now, no solution , no information on what's going on ... This is the way they take care about their client who made their successful iPhone 5 launch !

This is what I don't get! Why bothered getting a CDMA iphone when you can always get an att at full price unlocked out of the box?

Have you tried other carriers such as mobifone, vinaphone, or even beeline?

Locha

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012

Hi Micmac.vietnam... you are correct! This is not only a problem of who bought the Sprint iPhone 5 to be used as GSM phone outside USA. Sprint customers will have the same problem. Why? Simple Sprint in USA use CDMA, but when a Sprint customer is out of the USA, their phones will use GSM, and here is the problem. Even if the iPhone is "locked" and under Sprint contract, the iPhone 5 will not send SMS also. So, this is why I always said the problem is not with any kind of "lock", but a problem or with the Phone firmware, or iOS, etc,... Again, the Sprint and the Verizon phones are absolutely the same!!!

Proton77

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
I am from Russia and want to buy new and sealed Sprint iphone 5 without contract from eBay. Will it work here with local sim card? And what will I have to do for that? Thanks.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
This is what I don't get! Why bothered getting a CDMA iphone when you can always get an att at full price unlocked out of the box?
Because the ATT wont work on existing and planned European LTE bands. The llogical iPhone 5 worldphones are the Sprint and Verizon models.

Not only can I confirm the outgoing texting issue, but i can confirm that Advanced device suppor tios sauying they have zero complaints and this is not a "known" issue. Apple says this is a Sprint provisioning firmware issue. I suggest everyone who cares call Sprint support, take tthe time and be firm to to push yourself up to Advanced Device support, report it, and get a trouble ticket number. Anything lower than Adviance device will NOT result in any action. If 25 people call even second or third teir support and report it they wont even enter it in their databasloed as reported issue. Those lower mid teir support only look for solutions to recorded known issues, they dont record new ones.

This will never get sovled, or even serious atention, unless people push it to top tier (ADS)

Last edited:

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Because the ATT wont work on existing and planned European LTE bands. The llogical iPhone 5 worldphones are the Sprint and Verizon models.

Not only can I confirm the outgoing texting issue, but i can confirm that Advanced device suppor tios sauying they have zero complaints and this is not a "known" issue. Apple says this is a Sprint provisioning firmware issue. I suggest everyone who cares call Sprint support, take tthe time and be firm to to push yourself up to Advanced Device support, report it, and get a trouble ticket number. Anything lower than Adviance device will NOT result in any action. If 25 people call even second or third teir support and report it they wont even enter it in their databasloed as reported issue. Those lower mid teir support only look for solutions to recorded known issues, they dont record new ones.

This will never get sovled, or even serious atention, unless people push it to top tier (ADS)

I was talking to mic.vietnam! You know why? Not everyone lives in europe where the CDMA LTE bands could be use in UK or Germany :rolleyes: yea 2 countries make it europe!

Anyways, he is in Vietnam, and there is no such thing as LTE, and not in this decade for sure too. So it doesnt matter which LTE iphone 5 band you get. This is why I just went ahead and got me an ATT gsm version.

I work here in nam 3 months out of a year, and I know how GSM phones are use here.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
I was talking to mic.vietnam! You know why? Not everyone lives in europe where the CDMA LTE bands could be use in UK or Germany :rolleyes: yea 2 countries make it europe!

Anyways, he is in Vietnam, and there is no such thing as LTE, and not in this decade for sure too. So it doesnt matter which LTE iphone 5 band you get. This is why I just went ahead and got me an ATT gsm version.

I work here in nam 3 months out of a year, and I know how GSM phones are use here.
You make no sense. there is no such thing as "CDMA LTE Bands." LTE is LTE.
The bands and fre1uency of LTE outside the US is and/or planned to be the same one on the sprint and verizon CDMA/GSM/LTE phone, and NOT the aTT GSM only model.

And the examples I gave were part of Europe --refelcting the pans for ALL of Europe.

Lasty why dont you look at plans outside of Europe, including in E and SE Asia, and see what LTE frequencies, you are in for a suprise.

The verizon CMDMA/GSM/LTE phone works out of the box in Vietnam, the ATT does not.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
You make no sense. there is no such thing as "CDMA LTE Bands." LTE is LTE.
The bands and fre1uency of LTE outside the US is and/or planned to be the same one on the sprint and verizon CDMA/GSM/LTE phone, and NOT the aTT GSM only model.

And the examples I gave were part of Europe --refelcting the pans for ALL of Europe.

Lasty why dont you look at plans outside of Europe, including in E and SE Asia, and see what LTE frequencies, you are in for a suprise.

The verizon CMDMA/GSM/LTE phone works out of the box in Vietnam, the ATT does not.

Ok. And? Vietnam does not have LTE and will not have it until someone invest into it which it is not happening in this decade!

Ps: i know LTE is LTE but sprint/verizon use different bands which are use in UK and Germany amirite? That's what i meant as CDMA iphone versions :rolleyes: im currently using my iphone 5 att factory unlocked out of the box without having sms issue! So which one is working out of the box! Lmao

Last edited:

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
Ok. And? Vietnam does not have LTE and will not have it until someone invest into it which it is not happening in this decade!

Ps: i know LTE is LTE but sprint/verizon use different bands which are use in UK and Germany amirite? That's what i meant as CDMA iphone versions
You have it backwards. Sprint verizon models are using the LTE bands in use and planned for all of Europe. The Sprint Verizon model is the hardware and band/frequency set being sold in Europe. The ATT is using bands that wont be used there.
I im currently using my iphone 5 att factory unlocked out of the box without having sms issue! So which one is working out of the box! Lmao

Fine, you bought the LEAST capable device, the ATT which is specific to the US market..

The one savvy buyers get unlocked out of the box and working in the most regions worldwide is the Verizon one.

You want to give advice contrary to what those of us who know will give, fine, but don't expect not be corrected.

By the way look at the LTE deployment in So. Asia, the Philippines, Indonesia etc. You are recommending the worst model for that area.

Last edited:

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
You have it backwards. Sprint verizon models are using the LTE bands in use and planned for all of Europe. The Sprint Verizon model is the hardware and band/frequency set being sold in Europe. The ATT is using bands that wont be used there.

Fine, you bought the LEAST capable device, the ATT which is specific to the US market..

The one savvy buyers get unlocked out of the box and working in the most regions worldwide is the Verizon one.

You want to give advice contrary to what those of us who know will give, fine, but don't expect not be corrected.

By the way look at the LTE deployment in So. Asia, the Philippines, Indonesia etc. You are recommending the worst model for that area.

:eek: really :confused: anyways yes att factory unlocked is the same model as a normal factory unlocked iphone out of the box! So I don't why you are trying to says the opposite! Philippines, indonesia have money to maybe later on have LTE, and for the love of god read what I said! Vietnam is a damn third world country that will not get LTE anytime soon aka this decade! How I know? Well I mothersucking work here for the last 3 years now! :rolleyes:

This is why I'm recommending the best for Vietnam which is the att version since the iphone 2G thru the 4S!

People here dont care about the CDMA version even tho it is unlocked out of the box and has the right LTE band for the so call asia LTE band. They know LTE is hot happening anytime soon.

Ran7

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
People here dont care about the CDMA version even tho it is unlocked out of the box and has the right LTE band for the so call asia LTE band. They know LTE is hot happening anytime soon.

The best version for Vietnam woudl be the Verizon version. That is the current worldphone

You seem confused as to the versions. The verizon has what the ATT version has plus additional bands

In east asia you will want the Verizon version.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
The best version for Vietnam woudl be the Verizon version. That is the current worldphone

You seem confused as to the versions. The verizon has what the ATT version has plus additional bands

In east asia you will want the Verizon version.

Im not sure if u read what i said, but people here dont care about the extra LTE bands because they will not get LTE anytime soon!

All grey markets here sell the GSM version from hong kong or singapore!

Ekimalito

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2008
Ok, so here's the deal. Turns out I just spoke to someone high at Apple. THis person took some time to explain to me that the reason these devices are having this problem with SMS is because Sprint decided to allow limited functionality of the device when used on GSM Networks while the device is still under contract.

He went on to explain that these devices are meant to be used on Sprint's CDMA network, not any other network. He said that provisioning files that are given to your phone at the moment of activation come straight from Sprint's billing system and that phones that were subsidized by Sprint will not fully work on different networks even if they are unlocked.

They fixed one of my phones that wasn't sending SMS properly by changing something on the phone's profile but they said they couldn't fix my wife's because I needed to provide proof of purchase showing I paid full price at an Authorized Apple Reseller. So go figure... this is intentionally done by our greedy Telcos... I don't know what to do now.

Hope this helps...

asfahan

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
sprint iphone 5 send sms problem can be solved 100%

sprint iphone 5 send sms problem can be solved 100%

asfahan

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
6.01 i dont think solve the problem try it i dont mind

6.01 i dont think solve the problem try it i dont mind

Lucky736

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
US
Is anyone in the US using the Sprint iPhone 5 with a US GSM Carrier? Curious how you did it.

tangopap

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Verizon iPhone 5.

French SIM Orange (MobiCarte)

-> Can't send SMS etc...

The hack of showing "Show Subject" in the Messages Settings, and putting a " " single blankspace (nothing else there!) makes my messages go through, propably as MMS, but who cares, gets you connected !

Thanks

jalufer

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2012
Sprint unlocked iphone sms fix

I can resolve this issue, in order to do it, iphone must be clean with no balance or reported lost or stolen, have good price for wholesalers.

Pm me for more information.

jdcchora

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
iphone 5 sprint unlock

hello all, i have bought a iphone 5 sprint but i cant unlock it because i´m not customer of sprint as normal..

so I want to ask to the customers of sprint if they can help me handle it, some soul there can help here a portuguese guy lol.

the best thing i can do for the one who help me is give some money like 10$ and for what I read you just need to call to the customer service cause they will help you handle it.

i can give you my ebay feedback, and another forums feedback (all positive).

thanks for such help!

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4459

Sprint iPhone 5: Unable to send SMS when outside the United States

Symptoms
In some situations when using an unlocked Sprint iPhone 5 outside the United States with a non-Sprint SIM card, you may be unable to send SMS.

Resolution
If you are traveling internationally with an unlocked iPhone, you may be unable to send SMS if you either:

- Perform an Erase all Content and Settings or
- Restore your iPhone

Follow these steps to resolve the issue:

1 .Connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network.
2. Remove the non-Sprint SIM card from the device and insert the Sprint SIM card that came with your iPhone*.
3. Wait until "iPhone is activated" is displayed on the screen.
4. Reinsert the non-Sprint SIM card.
You should now be able to send SMS. If you still cannot send SMS after performing the above steps, contact Apple for additional support.

alfreds

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
I had the same problem with locked Sprint Iphone 5. Im using R-SIM7 for unlock and couldn't activate my phone, sms, 3G, imessages and facetime wasn't working(Waiting for activation). Long story short, I managed to fix:

1. To fix this you need to jailbreak with evasi0n and download iFile from cydia(or you can just use ifunbox).

2.Go to (CarrierLab.bundle or 00101 folder) /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/00101/carrier.plist

-back up the file carrier.plist (just in case)

Go to the following line and add +011 so it looks like +011447786205094

< key >PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress< string >+011447786205094< /string >

SAVE

3.Now go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/Unknown.bundles/carrier.plist

ADD -> "+011" To all the 10 numbers you see.

< key >PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress< /key >< string >+011447537410207< /string >

SAVE

4.Now go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/*carrier that your phone is locked to*/carrier.plist

Find SMS perfix under <key>international</key> and delete "011" value so it looks like <string></string>

SAVE

5. To fix 3G go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/Unknown.bundles/carrier.plist find <key>SIMs</key><array> and copy all those "<string>xxxxx</string>" number from there and now go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/*carrier that your phone is locked to*/carrier.plist4. and find this line <key>intldataroamingallowed<key> <array> *paste here* </array>

SAVE then reboot.

If 3G still not working change to correct APN using unlockit.co.nz

Hope this helps anyone having the same issues.

Gopal krisKross

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2013
No SMS, imesssage om RSIM 7 unlocked Sprint Iphone

I had the same problem with locked Sprint Iphone 5. Im using R-SIM7 for unlock and couldn't activate my phone, sms, 3G, imessages and facetime wasn't working(Waiting for activation). Long story short, I managed to fix:

1. To fix this you need to jailbreak with evasi0n and download iFile from cydia(or you can just use ifunbox).

2.Go to (CarrierLab.bundle or 00101 folder) /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/00101/carrier.plist

-back up the file carrier.plist (just in case)

Go to the following line and add +011 so it looks like +011447786205094

< key >PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress< string >+011447786205094< /string >

SAVE

3.Now go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/Unknown.bundles/carrier.plist

ADD -> "+011" To all the 10 numbers you see.

< key >PhoneNumberRegistrationGatewayAddress< /key >< string >+011447537410207< /string >

SAVE

4.Now go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/*carrier that your phone is locked to*/carrier.plist

Find SMS perfix under <key>international</key> and delete "011" value so it looks like <string></string>

SAVE

5. To fix 3G go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/Unknown.bundles/carrier.plist find <key>SIMs</key><array> and copy all those "<string>xxxxx</string>" number from there and now go to /System/Library/Carrier Bundles/iPhone/*carrier that your phone is locked to*/carrier.plist4. and find this line <key>intldataroamingallowed<key> <array> *paste here* </array>

SAVE then reboot.

If 3G still not working change to correct APN using unlockit.co.nz

Hope this helps anyone having the same issues.

I tried this But the Unlock itself stopped working. Had to restore again and Jailbreak to get it working. But still SMS and Imessage etc not working.
Anyone had any success with this method?

Ivo.Net

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2013
Sprint sms issue SOLVED

SOLVED !!!
Same problem with Sprint carrier originally. Moved to Brazil and SMS not working.
Just updated to iOS 6.1 and started working.
Do that and must solve the issue.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.