Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowi1de

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
6s 64 GB to 12 Pro 128 GB .. was hoping to keep Touch ID, but let’s see how COVID and iPhone 13 will develop
Looking forward to new camera, screen and design

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Nope, I want Touch ID , I'm not paying this kind of money without Touch ID .
I have the 6s plus, I'll hold on another year if not, I will get a SEplus if they release one

Reactions: DanTSX

strakagirl

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2020
Very excited to upgrade to the 12 Pro Max from my 6S+. The autofocus on my current phone is a bit wonky, otherwise I would keep the 6S+ until it was absolutely dead.

Susie4170

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Los Angeles
Yes, I’m finally upgrading my 6s Plus that I’ve have since launch day, with a 12 Pro. It’s been a fantastic phone, and unlike others, ios 14 seems to run ok on mine. A little slower, of course, but not too shabby for an old phone. I’m mainly upgrading for the better camera and the smaller form factor. Don’t get me wrong, I love the screen size of my phone, but with the bezels, it’s a little too big for my liking. I was tempted when the X came out, but the fact that the screen was narrower than my 6s Plus made me reconsider. Now that the Pro size is 6.1" I’m hoping I won’t lose any screen real estate but get a slightly more portable device.

I was planning on holding out another year, but the deals were too good to pass up and fear they won’t be as great next year.

TechLord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2020
Not a 6s user, but my dad is. His 6s has finally given up and is barely usable. Gave him my iPhone 8 which I used as a spare.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I upgraded from my 6s to the SE2020 on launch day. It suits my needs for now and I want a phone with Touch ID, where I live is pretty much just going to be low band 5G, and I don’t want to be a real world beta tester for the first iPhone that has 5G. I want another generation of antenna to come out and get the battery life dialed in.

dcipjr

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
I have a launch day iPhone 6, 64 GB. I replaced the battery 3 years ago, which breathed new life into the phone. It’s been great up until just recently; the replacement battery is now starting to show its age. I could replace it, but there’s little point in doing so, since it can no longer run the current iOS version.

T-Mobile offered me a generous $215 trade-in value for my phone, along with an additional $200 on the trade-in for customer loyalty. $415 is far more than the phone is worth, and nobody in my family needs a hand-me-down phone (all of their phones are newer than mine at this point anyway). So it‘s time to upgrade.

I was originally going for the mini, but I went for the 12 Pro because of the extra camera and extra RAM. I’m thrilled that I got 6 years out of my 6, and would love to get 6 years out of its replacement as well.

Reactions: New York

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Wow that’s pretty remarkable extending it another year. My 6 is so slow that I have to upgrade this year.

Although some have suggested next year to be the optimal iPhone to buy, I keep my phones for a good five or six years. So this 12 should last me until we hit iPhone 17! ?
I tried out my friend's 6S awhile ago and even that was a stark difference in speed, especially Touch ID v2.0. Raise to wake was also pretty convenient. As long as I don't go around trying newer phones, I will make do with the 6 ?

Apple missed the best time of the decade to release side Touch ID.

chiawen.yang

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Austin, Texas
I'm using an iPhone 6 Plus and even with a battery replacement at 95% capacity, my phone is so slow it takes over 30 min to place an order for some wings from a local restaurant app, over 10 min for McDonalds, and macrumors.com hangs up Safari when I scroll.

When T-Mobile offered their $215 trade-in, it was a no brainer to finally upgrade to an iPhone 12 after I saw how low the prices were for the iPhone 6 plus on Swappa and Craigslist. Hoping the iPhone 12 will last me six years like the iPhone 6+.

I will miss the touchID though.

shadow puppet

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
4th padded cell on the right
For those that are curious, this shows an iPhone 6s with a case for a 12 for size comparison.

iphone 6s vs 12 case_sm.jpg

barbeyg

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2012
iPhone 7 user here too. I'm finally going to upgrade to the Pro Max. I went to Costco and got a feel for the 11 Pro Max for size, knowing it would be a bit bigger. I may regret it, but I just can't pass up the camera options on the Pro Max.

Susie4170

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Los Angeles
Does anyone know if the actually usable screen size of the 12 Pro will be more in line with my old 6s Plus than the X and XS were? Those were too narrow IMO and was wondering if now that they are 6.1" instead of 5.8" if the screen will be wider. Hoping I didn’t make a mistake and will regret going with the Pro over the Max.

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Yes, entire household is upgrading all 4 of our 6s's and 6s+'s. Three of us are getting the iPhone 11 and one us the XR. Hoping on Friday Visible will be offering them with the $150-$200 Rebate card. This should bring the 11 down to the $400-450 range, and the XR down to $300-350. We would all love the 12 series, but save nearly $2k when it's all said and done. That's a nice Winter Holiday....

yeah. Upside of the 6s/SE being so long lasting is you save money not needing to upgrade. Downside is you may need to upgrade all of them at the same time.

we have my wife and daughter on SE and son with 6s. I’m hoping to upgrade 1-2 this year and maybe one next year. Maybe one can take my 12..

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
Yep...going from 64GB 6s Plus to 128GB 12 Pro. Finally time because I wanted to switch carriers and get an EPP price on the phone when doing a new 2yr contract. This is with Telus in Canada.

My partner is going to go from 5s to 12 Mini.

remington79

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2020
I needed to upgrade and my wife needed to replace her LG so that’s one reason back in April on launch day we went with the SE 2020. That way for the price we could both afford to upgrade. We saved the 6s as a started phone for our daughter.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Does anyone know if the actually usable screen size of the 12 Pro will be more in line with my old 6s Plus than the X and XS were? Those were too narrow IMO and was wondering if now that they are 6.1" instead of 5.8" if the screen will be wider. Hoping I didn’t make a mistake and will regret going with the Pro over the Max.

X/XS and 12 Pro/Max all have the same, narrower screen ratio than your 6s plus.

12 Pro is only 45 pixels wider than XS.

Susie4170

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2015
Los Angeles
X/XS and 12 Pro/Max all have the same, narrower screen ratio than your 6s plus.

12 Pro is only 45 pixels wider than XS.

That’s unfortunate. So the device only got taller but not wider? I was really hoping with the reduced bezels and new size it would be a little wider.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
That’s unfortunate. So the device only got taller but not wider? I was really hoping with the reduced bezels and new size it would be a little wider.

Technically it did get wider but since the screen ratio is so narrow, the difference is negligible.

.02" wider / 45 pixels

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Good move (or non-move)! I have bought a new device before and asked myself afterwards, "Is this really that much of an improvement in my day-to-day usage?"

Same here. I've bought both the X and XS but returned both phones soon after. Once the initial "excitement" of a new a phone (and the new features) wears off (for me, that's a few days after purchase), I've found the new phone does essentially the same thing as my previous phone. iOS is iOS, and is (essentially IMHO) the same whether you're using a 6S or 12Pro Max.

Sure, the new phone does things better (ie takes better photos, loads apps faster etc), but for my use, that's not worth spending the ££££/$$$$/€€€€ (or whatever your currency is). When I do decide to upgrade, I'll buy a second hand phone and save my money. It's a shame the battery capacity in the SE (2020 version) wasn't larger!

Reactions: Broadus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.