Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Agree so much with the above statement. i have a 6S Plus which still works fine (except with a bit of a speaker issue where it sounds a bit “muffled”) but that doesn’t really bother me. A battery replacement 2 years ago felt like a brand new phone. I never had a phone for this long and I had cell phones since the analog days back in the mid 90s. My cycle is usually ever 2 years or so. for iPhone, I started with an original 1st gen, then went with the 3G, then 4, then 5s then 6S plus and that where I stopped. It does everything I need and runs the latest OS smoothly.

i did order the 12 Pro and thought that was the time to upgrade, but the faceID, especially when wearing a mask is going to be a problem when using Apple pay. so I’m starting to have second thoughts. It’s not the money. I can totally afford it outright, but don’t want to go backwards because of the lack of Touch ID.

I tried models recently (X or Xs and 11 Pro) which I returned. Will see over the weekend, once I had a chance to play with it, I guess.

Reactions: DanTSX

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
It’s not the money. I can totally afford it outright, but don’t want to go backwards because of the lack of Touch ID.

Good point. I've never been one to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Happy to pay more for a product (this applies to all things, not just a phone), but I want to see the value in paying more for the "upgrade". There's no point paying lots of $$$$ on a product/service that doesn't bring value to your life.

Lwii2boo

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2020
Paris, France
Good point. I've never been one to upgrade for the sake of upgrading. Happy to pay more for a product (this applies to all things, not just a phone), but I want to see the value in paying more for the "upgrade". There's no point paying lots of $$$$ on a product/service that doesn't bring value to your life.
That's exaclty why I did not pay the extra €200 for the 12 Pro. The regular 12 will suit my need perfectly since I don't care about telephoto and LiDAR and coming from a 7 this will be a big jump especially on screen and camera. :)
I was ready to go Pro if bezel was smaller or 120 Hz.

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
That's exaclty why I did not pay the extra €200 for the 12 Pro. The regular 12 will suit my need perfectly since I don't care about telephoto and LiDAR and coming from a 7 this will be a big jump especially on screen and camera. :)
I was ready to go Pro if bezel was smaller or 120 Hz.

True, but if you want to go 128GB (which I’d recommend for future proofing), the price is getting close to the pro, which starts with 128GB. Apple should have eliminated the 64 GB on the 12 as well.

Rockadile

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Agree so much with the above statement. i have a 6S Plus which still works fine (except with a bit of a speaker issue where it sounds a bit “muffled”) but that doesn’t really bother me. A battery replacement 2 years ago felt like a brand new phone. I never had a phone for this long and I had cell phones since the analog days back in the mid 90s. My cycle is usually ever 2 years or so. for iPhone, I started with an original 1st gen, then went with the 3G, then 4, then 5s then 6S plus and that where I stopped. It does everything I need and runs the latest OS smoothly.

i did order the 12 Pro and thought that was the time to upgrade, but the faceID, especially when wearing a mask is going to be a problem when using Apple pay. so I’m starting to have second thoughts. It’s not the money. I can totally afford it outright, but don’t want to go backwards because of the lack of Touch ID.

I tried models recently (X or Xs and 11 Pro) which I returned. Will see over the weekend, once I had a chance to play with it, I guess.

I'm just flabbergasted that Apple didn't release side Touch ID this year on the iPhone with the pandemic going on...meanwhile in iPad land...

No consistency at all.

Reactions: Guacamole

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
Apple should have eliminated the 64 GB on the 12 as well.

Shame I can't like this post twice! It'd be great if the entire iPhone 12 lineup started with 128GB as the base option...but this is Apple (they didn't become a $1B company because they were nice and handed out freebies to their customers).

lostom

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2010
6 plus here, this is the year I'm updating, going with Pac Blue Pro.
I've loved this phone since I got it, it's been solid as a daily phone, I also have a Huawei P30 pro, love the iPhone so much more though.
Really going to miss the home button on the 6, that's just about the major reason I've kept it so long, but I can't get iOS 14 and the speed in app loads and basic responses v the Huawei is getting to me a little, it's obviously quite noticeable.

I'll keep it around as a remote for aTV and music streaming to Wifi speakers etc, the time has come though, to say goodbye as my daily driver.

Reactions: Broadus

iRadio

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2013
Im still using a 6s, but only as my 'running' phone now.
(Have since gone through an 8, and now on 11 pro)

Its still on original battery, health in phone says 84% but pretty sure that isnt the case, battery can be erratic in the the colder weather.

I cover a lot of miles per week, and have been known to drop and smash a new iphone, hence why I kept this one for this purpose. It still does great, lasts a good few hours on speaker or headphones, dont mind if it gets wet and will still take a reasonable photo if i need it.

Have thought about getting a new battery sorted, but it lasts for as long as it needs at present, so havent bothered.

I do have a 1p sim in it, costs me £30 a year in top ups, but barely use it for that, its just 'in case of emergency'

Its been a great phone :)

I still have a 3gs, 4s and 5s too!

Reactions: satchmo

wysiwyg1972

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Toronto, Canada
So received my 12 Pro yesterday. set it up and used it for a little while both in and out of the home.

First impressions after less than 24 hrs of use, coming from a 6S Plus

- Pacific blue looks gorgeous. The finish, the format, etc.. but I’m buying a phone not a diamond ring.
- it is faster than my old phone. It feels snappier but I didn't have any complaints in terms of speed with the old one. App updates are significantly quicker. But the things I do, such as calling someone (it’s a phone, remember?) and launching apps like Twitter and TuneIn are about the same.
- Battery life seems much better than the 6S Plus. I didn’t have complaints before, but 14.0.1 killed the battery on my old unit (on purpose to get people to upgrade?) and while 14.1 helped a little, it’s nowhere as good as before on 13.6. With the 12 Pro, I played with settings for a few hours and watched an entire Apple TV Plus show in HDR and the level only dropped 10%. the 6S Plus drop this much in minutes right now.
- The sound is out of this world. Coming from a 6s which was mono, the spacious audio really feels like it was coming from all over. Very clear too.
- I don’t have any 5G coverage with my provider, but a speed test last night on LTE gave me 160+, which is more than most people report getting on 5G right now. The reception seems the same as before, maybe even a bit worse, will need to monitor.
- FaceID, it is great, but in a COVID world, it’s a pain to use when in stores and having to wear a mask. Things like Apple Pay or placing calls where easier before with touch ID.
- I miss the home button. So much swiping up to go back and even to unlock feels like going backwards.
- No comments on the camera. I haven’t taken any pictures yet. I don’t use the camera much and it’s mainly when on vacations. I know the camera is the key feature of this phone, but last time I checked, this is called an iPhone, not iCamera.

So these are my impressions so far. Still undecided whether to keep it or stick with my 6S Plus. 13 more days to decide.

Last edited:

rowi1de

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2016
Holy ?? ... that's why you NOT should upgrade very year
- Pro Blue is amazing <3
- Speed Increase is huge, everything feels instant
- Screen is much sharper, Colors, HDR Content is amazing
- The Camera ? The Side By Side comparisons on YouTube were not good, it's a huge improvement in clarity, contrast HDR, let alone Wide, Tele Lens. Night mode is also crazy, shooting in almost pitch black leads to sharp pics (20s tripod, also 3s Hand-Hold is super sharp)
- FaceID is much better over TouchID (at least Mask-Less), also using Swipe gestures is much smoother
- Don't care about 5G, switched to constant 4G for now

... will go out for a Foto Safari later

Guacamole

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
That’s unfortunate. So the device only got taller but not wider? I was really hoping with the reduced bezels and new size it would be a little wider.
I bought the 11 last year and I wished it was a little wider like my 6s Plus. I returned the phone anyway, because of that and other things I didn't like. I will wait for the 13 and see if at least has Touch ID

iApple_man

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2015
Midwest
Shame I can't like this post twice! It'd be great if the entire iPhone 12 lineup started with 128GB as the base option...but this is Apple (they didn't become a $1B company because they were nice and handed out freebies to their customers).
32gb works for me so 64gb is beautiful. Every year I always see the “base GB should be” comment and I’m sure next year 128gb won’t be good enough either.

With that, I’m sure you have 128gb, so why does seeing the base 64gb perturb you?

rocketbuc

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2017
I am currently in the opposite camp. Have an iPhone 6 since 2014 and still absolutely enjoy using it every day.
Did get a broken screen fixed some time back and in April 2020 replace the battery myself. It felt like having a new phone! Has a few scratches as I have always used it case-less.

Not such a heavy phone user as I do compose all iMessages and texts for business and personal on my Macbook instead of the phone. Hopefully Apple and developers will not fully abandon iOS12 and turn a perfect working phone into a useless brick by software "updates".

iPhone 12 mini looks nice...but don't see a compelling reason to switch yet.

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
Finally decided to make the jump from my 6s Plus. Just ordered a 12 Pro Max 256 GB in Pacific Blue. My first non-black/space gray iPhone ever.

This despite the fact that I did finally sort out the catastrophic battery issues on my 6s. There must have been something wrong with my OS install; resetting to factory defaults and setting it up as a new phone fixed the constant drain. I tried resetting + restoring from iCloud backup first, but the power drain continued unchecked. It was definitely due to the CPU being maxed out all the time, but I don't know from what.

Anyway, the 6s Plus is going to my son to replace his standard 6, and I'll have my first new phone in five years. Good times.

Chief Oddball

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
DFW
I'm on day three of iPhone 12 Pro Max ownership, coming from my 6s Plus. Initial impressions:

• 5G actually doubles or even triples my data speeds on T-mobile, which were atrocious before.
  • Battery life seems good to me, but all of my recent experience (with my 6s) was utterly terrible, so anything would be an improvement in comparison. Shooting about an hour of 4K/60 HDR video took about 40% of the battery and something like 32 GB of storage space.
  • The screen is fantastic. And it's huge, much bigger than my 6s Plus, despite being almost the same physical size of phone.
  • Speed improvement is noticeable in day to day tasks. Browsing is much more responsive. CarPlay also. Swapping between apps, I've never once had one lose its place. (Thanks, 6 GB of RAM -- I never believed people who said RAM didn't matter on iPhones. Of course it matters. Less than Android, maybe, but it's still important.
  • Face ID...I thought I was going to miss Touch ID, but nah. The only annoying bit is trying to use the phone with a mask on. I'm at home 90% of my time these days so I barely notice.
  • Camera is a tremendous improvement. Portrait photos are awesome. Telephoto lens gets a lot of use. Night shots are great and the sensor on the Pro Max is so improved that Night Mode isn't even needed until it gets *really* dark. HDR video is a little annoying to deal with when you try to send it to/watch it on other devices. My TV is capable of decoding it but it's too much information to Airplay (get unusable framerate chop). This will probably get better over time.
  • Oh, and Pacific Blue is really a fantastic finish. Looks sophisticated and subtle. Would like to see a dark burnt orange / vermillion option like this in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.