Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Well I do think the glass covering the display is a type of lens? So it could be that which he is talking about, and it also makes no sense what so ever to claim Apple won't be using tiny bits of Sapphire glass to cover the camera due to issues with drop tests, despite the fact they have used it in the iPhone 5 and 5S.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I really think it will be 16GB, 64GB, 128GB. Apple wants to entice you to jump to the second tier. At 32GB, your average person has no reason to jump to the second tier. At 16GB, we are now at the point where it's just too small for a lot of people.

So you pay $199 and get 16GB of storage, or you pay $299 (and it costs Apple $3 more or something) and you get 64GB of storage. While this is still not a value for the customer, it makes Apple a ton of money, and your average customer no longer has to worry about storage size on their iPhone. Also, they feel like they're getting a "deal" because 64GB previously cost $399 in every other generation.

So picture Tim Cook standing there with a slide that has the price for 64GB slashed out and a hundred dollars less than previous generations. They are truly the masters of marketing.

But they can just leave the 32GB there and charge customers 100$ more for the 128GB option.
They do that with the iPad, so it would be congruent to keep 4 tiers for the iPhone as well.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
yes I am sure that Apple invested millions in GT advanced only to cancel plans at the last minute because, you know, they forgot to drop test the screens before they planted the money into sapphire production

"Oh, no, I thought YOU did the drop test!".

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
PS: how does anyone here who intends on purchasing a 128GB phone justify such a high-priced device?

Assuming the unlocked price for the 4.7" iPhone 6 (16GB) is $649 (already expensive), we'd be looking at 32/64/128 -> 749/849/949, and *assuming* the 5.5" is $100 more per increment, that's $1049 for the highest storage option.

I mean, I love my iPhone... use it every day and so on... but man, I personally can't imagine spending near $1000 for such a small device with such a fast turnover. Are people that careless with storage that they're willing to jump up $300 to store more stuff? There's so many cloud options nowadays too.

Then again, I don't have my parent's money or inheritance to fall back on.

There's no "$300" premium to store more stuff. There is a $100 price bump every time you double the storage and there will probably be some other price bump if you want a larger display. This is Apple's way of segmenting their product line into easy to understand value/mid-range/premium price points.

My guess is that they will drop the 16GB option and offer 32/64/128 at the current price points for the 4.7" model. If so, you could get the 64GB for $749 or the new 128GB capacity for $849, which would reflect a $100 price drop when choosing the same capacity. Additionally, iCloud Drive will let you purchase cloud storage for your entire photo and video library, reducing the need for on-camera storage space. Ultimately, Apple is offering numerous choices and price points for different budgets.

Now, you started with the premise that the iPhone's $649 base price is already expensive. Expensive compared to what?

Remember that the iPhone's closest Android competitors cost almost as much, come with loads of difficult to remove crapware, and are built around a clunky ecosystem of "free" Google services that you pay for with your personal data. And after dealing with all of that, your Android phone will have dramatically lower resale value in a couple of years when you decide to get a new model.

So in the end, it's not so expensive after all considering its quality, utility, and total cost of ownership.

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Well I do think the glass covering the display is a type of lens? So it could be that which he is talking about, and it also makes no sense what so ever to claim Apple won't be using tiny bits of Sapphire glass to cover the camera due to issues with drop tests, despite the fact they have used it in the iPhone 5 and 5S.

A display cover is most certainly not a type of lens.

Also this comes from the 9t05mac article:

"The camera lens will, he predicts, lose its sapphire coating after failing drop tests. Although sapphire is much more scratch-resistant than glass, it is more prone to shattering, and the protruding lens would make it significantly more vulnerable than on present models.

There is no information in this report on whether the screen will be sapphire, though countless previous reports indicate that at least some of the iPhone 6 displays will be sapphire."

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Hold on here... the article title says iPhone 6 won't be getting a sapphire display glass, then the article goes on to say the iPhone 6 will be losing it's sapphire lens cover. WTF????????????? Which is it?

djsukebe

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2007
Damnit apple.. release 256 gb!!

I will fill up this damn 128gb so easily... I'm sure most of you are on the same boat, and some don't even know it yet.

Charliebird

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2010
That's a possibility too, but announcing iPad together with iPhone means low hype for the iPad, since the majority of people want the new Phone.

iPhone is their best selling device, and deserves an exclusive event. If iWatch has some features in common with iPhone (I think so) it makes sense to introduce it during the same event, that's why I think we'll see "only" the new iPhone and the iWatch

5 more days and we'll find out

That's what makes this fun. :) I'm more of an iPad person which makes me a strange bird I guess.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Apple knows they can get away with murder this year just because they will finally release bigger iPhones (and you and your wallet know it's true), hence;

Protruding camera,
1GB Ram,
Antenna Bands,
Huge Bezel,
Dual Core CPU,
No Saphire,
No 4K Camera,
No Waterproofing,
Etc...

Well they have to sell the 6S in 2015, so I don't expect a big camera improvement compared to 5S, and maybe they'll double the RAM and increase CPU/GPU speed next year.

samac92

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008
Hey look, it's Ming Chi Kuo throwing more crap against the wall hoping something sticks, and once again, people think a random guy's guesses are facts.

Yeah, but this guy's approach to predictions are like Samsung's approach to product design... Throw enough excrement at the wall and some of it's bound to stick.

If you predict everything and hedge enough, some of it's bound to be correct by sheer volume.

Kuo is often right. Just an example:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/0...ird-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/

He predicted the 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro would be introduced as an additional line to the existing MacBook Pros, which everyone thought was a crazy idea; just look at the comments. He also predicted the 17 inch model would be dropped and that the 13 inch would not be introduced at the same time as the 15 inch model. Clearly these weren't random guesses.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
A display cover is most certainly not a type of lens.

Also this comes from the 9t05mac article:

"The camera lens will, he predicts, lose its sapphire coating after failing drop tests. Although sapphire is much more scratch-resistant than glass, it is more prone to shattering, and the protruding lens would make it significantly more vulnerable than on present models.

There is no information in this report on whether the screen will be sapphire, though countless previous reports indicate that at least some of the iPhone 6 displays will be sapphire."

Don't know to make of that, firstly that another website has a much more coherent report! Thanks for that. And secondly that he claims Apple has not been able to use something it has had in mass production for 2 years already? I don't buy it.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
That's what makes this fun. :) I'm more of an iPad person which makes me a strange bird I guess.

To be honest I'm looking forward to buying next iPad (most likely I'm going for the Mini) while I'm not sure I'll buy next iPhone. But you know, they make a lot of money from the iPhone and everyone go crazy when the new iPhone is out, while I don't see queues or shortages for iPad, that's why I think is their top priority to announce the phone

TechViking

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
Don't know to make of that, firstly that another website has a much more coherent report! Thanks for that. And secondly that he claims Apple has not been able to use something it has had in mass production for 2 years already? I don't buy it.

This macrumors article seems to be quite confused.

How do you contact the author Kelly Hodgkins and ask for a correction or clarification?

She is on Twitter, if someone uses Twitter and would like to contact her there:

https://twitter.com/kellyhodgkins

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
If is really programmable I hope they allow to customise it.
I may use the button to launch the camera then take a shot with the volume button, and use it to shut down the phone with a veeeery long press.

Android OEMs already tried that and the result was a camera roll full of photos of the inside of your pocket.

I'm a bit skeptical with the button's position, wouldn't have been better to leave it in the upper right side?

With the larger models, a top mounted button would be impossible to operate single handed.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Aluminum Oxide

Anybody know if an even thinner sheet of sapphire can be bonded to Gorilla glass? One would think the flexibility of the substances could be matched through thickness...?

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
PS: how does anyone here who intends on purchasing a 128GB phone justify such a high-priced device?

Assuming the unlocked price for the 4.7" iPhone 6 (16GB) is $649 (already expensive), we'd be looking at 32/64/128 -> 749/849/949, and *assuming* the 5.5" is $100 more per increment, that's $1049 for the highest storage option.

I mean, I love my iPhone... use it every day and so on... but man, I personally can't imagine spending near $1000 for such a small device with such a fast turnover. Are people that careless with storage that they're willing to jump up $300 to store more stuff? There's so many cloud options nowadays too.

Then again, I don't have my parent's money or inheritance to fall back on.

Well, first off it's a device I use a lot everyday so the cost is justifiable as I will have it for 2 years.

Second; I will be due for an upgrade with my carrier so I will get a nice discount on any phone I purchase. So the pricing will most likely start at $199 on the low end new model from my carrier. I doubt Apple will have 4 storage options so we may only see a few hundred dollars difference.....which would put it at $399 for me. But if they do decide to go for four different storage sizes that would put it at $499 for me.

Third: I have the 64gb iPhone 5 so I'll unlock it and sell it (won't have a need for it any longer) and make maybe $200 or so.

Yes, $1,000 does seem high. But lots of people aren't buying unlocked and have iPhones they can get rid of afterwards to save some $$.

Right now I'm using 60/64gb's on my iPhone. I've had iPhones since the very first model. A 128gb model will be the first one that I can fit my ENTIRE music library on along with everything else. That's a big deal to me. Back when the iPod video came out I got the largest capacity and nearly had enough for my iTunes library at the time. But it has grown quite a bit since then. And I do not like carrying two devices around so I no longer use my iPod Touch. We used to carry cases of CD's around in our car. My wife and I dwindled it down with each having an iPod. Now the day may finally be here that we can just have all our music on our phones. It matters to us :)

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Well, first off it's a device I use a lot everyday so the cost is justifiable as I will have it for 2 years.

Second; I will be due for an upgrade with my carrier so I will get a nice discount on any phone I purchase. So the pricing will most likely start at $199 on the low end new model from my carrier. I doubt Apple will have 4 storage options so we may only see a few hundred dollars difference.....which would put it at $399 for me. But if they do decide to go for four different storage sizes that would put it at $499 for me.

Third: I have the 64gb iPhone 5 so I'll unlock it and sell it (won't have a need for it any longer) and make maybe $200 or so.

Yes, $1,000 does seem high. But lots of people aren't buying unlocked and have iPhones they can get rid of afterwards to save some $$.

Right now I'm using 60/64gb's on my iPhone. I've had iPhones since the very first model. A 128gb model will be the first one that I can fit my ENTIRE music library on along with everything else. That's a big deal to me. Back when the iPod video came out I got the largest capacity and nearly had enough for my iTunes library at the time. But it has grown quite a bit since then. And I do not like carrying two devices around so I no longer use my iPod Touch. We used to carry cases of CD's around in our car. My wife and I dwindled it down with each having an iPod. Now the day may finally be here that we can just have all our music on our phones. It matters to us :)

I would also add that until carriers create affordable, unlimited data options, cloud options are not really replacements for local storage.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Thought Sapphire was one of the big features of the Iphone6. Besides the bigger screen and A8 chip. Well only a few more dsys of rumors

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
I have never owned a watch with a sapphire crystal that didn't scratch. I've never understood why Apple leaned this direction...IF they ever have, that is. It's all just rumor, right?

That sounds a little fishy. Sapphire can chip but it's very difficult to scratch, since only diamond is harder. My watch has a sapphire crystal and the crystal has no visible scratches after many years of daily use with a fair amount of banging around.

It's more likely your watch has a "mineral glass" or similar crystal.

Last edited:

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Android OEMs already tried that and the result was a camera roll full of photos of the inside of your pocket.

With the larger models, a top mounted button would be impossible to operate single handed.

That's the point, if the button is on the side it can be easily pressed when you hold the phone. A long press to the button is intentional so is good to be able to configure it, but a short press can be made by mistake. I'm afraid I would press the button while holding my phone, forcing me to press it again to use the phone.
You are right, with a larger phone is harder to reach the button if is on top, but how often do you need to power off the display? I never do it, and when I put the phone in my pocket or on the bag I don't get unintentional touches.

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
I hope the pricing scheme is

199 - 16 (bleh)
299 - 64
399 - 128

100 dollars to go from 16 to 32 is robbery and it will be a shame if they continue doing it.

Now what they should do is

199 - 32
249 - 64
299-329 - 128

They'd still make a pretty profit too.

Sonmi451

Suspended
Aug 28, 2014
Tesla
I don't really need a sapphire display. Hell, I don't even know what the difference if any will be at this point. As long as I can get a 32GB phone, I'm good. I'm realizing 16GB just wasn't enough.

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Apple knows they can get away with murder this year just because they will finally release bigger iPhones (and you and your wallet know it's true)

I'm interested in a new iPhone despite the larger screen, not because of it.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
Kuo is often right. Just an example:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/06/0...ird-macbook-line-with-retina-display-at-wwdc/

He predicted the 15 inch Retina MacBook Pro would be introduced as an additional line to the existing MacBook Pros, which everyone thought was a crazy idea; just look at the comments. He also predicted the 17 inch model would be dropped and that the 13 inch would not be introduced at the same time as the 15 inch model. Clearly these weren't random guesses.

But even in that piece you're citing, which came out just days before WWDC, he was wrong about several things. He said there would be a 13" model priced at $1,199. The 13" model wasn't announced for another 5 months, and cost $1,699. Nowhere close. He also claimed there would be SDD and HDD options, but there has never been a retina with an HDD.

Here were some of Kuo's incorrect iPhone 5S/5C predictions in the week or two before last year's announcement, to get a feel for how accurate his predictions on the same timeline this year might be:

- New convex home button to accommodate finger print sensor.
- New 128 GB iPhone
- iPhone camera will move to f/2 aperture
- iPhone 5C will sell for $400

Yes, he gets things right as well, but they're rarely outside the realm of the obvious. And with as many things as he's allowed to get wrong, of course he's going to get some things right. According to Kuo, this year's iPhone will either have a sapphire display, or it won't. Or only the 5.5" will have a sapphire display or it won't. And the 5.5" version will be announced but not available until next year. Or it won't be announced at all. Or it will be announced and launch in the same timeframe as the 4.7". There will also be new iPads. Or there won't. Etc. Etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.