Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

transpo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
"Due to drop test issues, neither 4.7-inch nor 5.5-inch iPhone 6 will have a sapphire cover lens, we believe; "

Scratchgate incoming!

He's talking about the Display not being sapphire, NOT the lens cover.

Padmini

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2014
I am hoping that the 16gb version will go away and the introductory memory will be 32gb.

Honestly, I not sure how they can even justify the cost of the adding memory with those increments.

extra $100 for 16gb - total 32gb cost 100/16gb
extra $200 for 32gb - total 64gb cost 50/16gb
extra $300 for 64gb - total 128gb cost 37.5/16gb

Memory is cheap and the first $100 for only an extra 16gb seems a little steep IMO.

Its not happening. Apple will make 1 or 2 dollars more per iPhone by keeping the $199 at 16 GB. They will do that for the tens of millions of people who buy whatever the cheapest is, regardless of storage capacity.

People like you (and me) who want more than 16 GB of storage will continue to have to pay for it (naturally). But at least this year, our money will go a lot further with a cheaper 64 GB and a new 128 GB option.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
Maybe the iWatch is getting pushed back to another event and they'll use an iPad release to fill in the hole. The iPad 4 was announced at an iPhone event.

That's a possibility too, but announcing iPad together with iPhone means low hype for the iPad, since the majority of people want the new Phone.

iPhone is their best selling device, and deserves an exclusive event. If iWatch has some features in common with iPhone (I think so) it makes sense to introduce it during the same event, that's why I think we'll see "only" the new iPhone and the iWatch

5 more days and we'll find out

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
Making the entire screen a Touch ID sensor would be great! Hitting the Sensor on a 4.7 inch iPhone is a bit of a stretch. Tested it with a mockup....but Apple will reserve this for the 6S I suppose.

TouchID has a 500 ppi sensor, I guess we would need a 500 ppi display and it just ain't happening anytime soon haha

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Pretty hilarious. This analyst might as well just admit the entire sapphire screen thing was an idiotic made-up rumor to begin with. But rather than admit that, he instead now claims that it's being dropped in order to make room for the much more likely to begin with 128 GB storage. It's rather brilliant, really. If the thing everyone was expecting anyway comes true, he can still claim he was right about the sapphire screen being a thing, even though it was never actually a thing and he made it up.

The sapphire was for iWatch faces, from the very beginning. Anything larger than a watch is going to be prohibitively expensive and have such low yields as to be impossible to meet demand for such a popular product. Growing huge flawless crystals is just not that easy.

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
I still find it hard to believe that Apple will announce both models at the same time only to make one available at launch and then wait weeks/months to release the other. I wonder how many people would hold off and wait for the 5.5" instead. I know I would be one of those.

This actually is not unprecedented. The redesigned imac saw the larger model release later, iPad mini was released weeks after the air. Probably are others that I am forgetting, but a stagnated release would certainly not be the end of the world

kdarling

macrumors P6
...a built-in barometer can provide more indoor navigation applications and health-management applications relating to spirometry

The latter is very unlikely.

Non-engineers have read the info about the barometric pressure chip being useful in a spirometry device, and innocently took it as if that possibility meant every device could do it.

No. Spirometry devices usually use TWO such sensors and a special tubing setup to sense how much air is going past.

In a phone, a barometric sensor likely serves three main purposes: 1) indoor locating, 2) exercise monitor to see if you're going up/down stairs/hills, and 3) weather related stuff.

Rettun1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2010
He's talking about the Display not being sapphire, NOT the lens cover.

I believe you have it backwards my friend, he specifically used the term "cover lens". When was the last time somebody used that term when talking about the front screen

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
I don't want a bigger phone :( I love my 4S because it's sleek and discrete.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
128 Gigs, finally!! Let's hope 32 Gigs is the new entry model.

I am super skeptical of this but indeed hope it is true as well.

All I need is 32GB and I'd be ecstatic to be able to spend $100 less (or just pay what I was planning to pay and get the 64GB).

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Apple knows they can get away with murder this year just because they will finally release bigger iPhones (and you and your wallet know it's true), hence;

Protruding camera,
1GB Ram,
Antenna Bands,
Huge Bezel,
Dual Core CPU,
No Saphire,
No 4K Camera,
No Waterproofing,
Etc...

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Dropping the Sapphire lens cover doesn't make sense to me; unless they found a better solution to prevent scratches.

How can they possibly "drop" the sapphire lens if they never had it in the first place? And $2 plastic laminates work just fine for preventing scratches. Much ado about nothing.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
iPhone 3GS, for Something;
iPhone 4S, for Steve, who passed away the following day
iPhone 5S, for Sensor, where Touch ID was introduced
iPhone 6S, for Sapphire... Why not?

;)

I thought the S in 3GS stood for Speed, but I could be wrong. All the others stood for "Sincewediditoncewebetterdoitagain"

----------

I don't want a bigger phone :( I love my 4S because it's sleek and discrete.

Same boat. But given the options to either suck it up and not buy the new phone and live without the enhancements, or take the smallest currently available model and be on the cutting edge again, I think I'll go with the latter. I'd complain more about the lack of speed and features than I would about the large screen size, I think.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I would hate for the 5.5 inch to come out at a later time because that's the one I want but I would get the 4.7 inch first.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The delayed release of the 5.5” is the most interesting/curious rumor.

These are basically competing devices and in the current market of wanting/needing to brag about first weekend, week, month sales, there’s no doubt sales of the 4.7” would take a hit.

It would be slightly mitigated by a price difference, i.e., some people are not going to spend another $100 (sub’ed) or more for 0.8” of an inch (whether is does/doesn’t have some other additional features like OIS). However, I think there’s a notable percentage of folks that really do want to compare the two in person/in hand, that will hold off till that can happen.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
128 Gigs, finally!! Let's hope 32 Gigs is the new entry model.

I really think it will be 16GB, 64GB, 128GB. Apple wants to entice you to jump to the second tier. At 32GB, your average person has no reason to jump to the second tier. At 16GB, we are now at the point where it's just too small for a lot of people.

So you pay $199 and get 16GB of storage, or you pay $299 (and it costs Apple $3 more or something) and you get 64GB of storage. While this is still not a value for the customer, it makes Apple a ton of money, and your average customer no longer has to worry about storage size on their iPhone. Also, they feel like they're getting a "deal" because 64GB previously cost $399 in every other generation.

So picture Tim Cook standing there with a slide that has the price for 64GB slashed out and a hundred dollars less than previous generations. They are truly the masters of marketing.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
I am super skeptical of this but indeed hope it is true as well.

All I need is 32GB and I'd be ecstatic to be able to spend $100 less (or just pay what I was planning to pay and get the 64GB).

iPhone memory is where Apple makes their profit. We are sure to see at least a $100 extra charge for 128 over the 5S's 64. They may eliminate the 16, thereby eliminating that price slot, but I doubt it. Apple can't keep up their margins if they provide more for less, and I want my stock value to keep rising. I want to afford retirement some day.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
The more permutations of these rumors we see, the more clear it becomes that they have absolutely no clue what Apple's going to actually do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.