Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ianKent

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2014
I don't know why, but I get the vaguest notion of an impending dishwasher detergent ad when I look at this image:

bosch_bmp280.jpg

Hence the humidity sensor. Duh. Seems like someone missed a Johnson & Johnson partnership rumor... glad we caught it in time! Let's make a new article.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Siri: "It's cold you should put on a blanket!"
- "No thank you Siri!"

1 week later

Doctor: "So you have the flu? I can see here Siri asked you to put a blanket on and you ignored her, I would have to notify your insurance company!"

Doctors barely have time to listen to a single complaint, let alone be bothered with any data from a phone!

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
All I saw was "pressure sensor" and I was hoping iOS device might be getting pressure sensitive screens. :(

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Is there any evidence in the schematic that it is from an iPhone 6? or could this chip be from another upcoming device like the iWatch?

The schematic notes that it's connected to the M7 coprocessor, and it matches a previous rumor:

Evidence of iPhone 6 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor Found in iOS 8

An API was found that gives back relative pressure changes. (See locating application at bottom of this post.)

-- Humidity, Temperature

As noted in another thread, other phones (including the Galaxy S4) have had ambient temperature and humidity sensors as inputs to the S-Health app. They've also been used in group weather input collection.

-- Pressure

However, Apple apparently is only including the barometric pressure sensor, which as many of us have noted, is handy for noting indoor location changes between floors. Good for exercise apps, and of course for indoor mapping.

shoulin333

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
California
Siri: "It's cold you should put on a blanket!"
- "No thank you Siri!"

1 week later

Doctor: "So you have the flu? I can see here Siri asked you to put a blanket on and you ignored her, I would have to notify your insurance company!"

Obama would like to charge you more for health insurance if you disobey the death panel, aka Siri.

BigBeast

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2009
makes you wonder what kind of devices it can be used in, which are not emitting any heat or arent limiting the outside humidity and temperature in any way

It's probably used in devices that are larger than an iPhone. The iPhone is basically a battery wrapped in metal and glass; it doesn't even have enough room to have the camera lens flush with the body. ;)

However, it doesn't mean that there isn't a way to calibrate the sensor to minimize the impact that the phone's internal environment would cause.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Shouldn't this be an update to the other article instead of a new article? I'm guessing the BME series can't be used because it would only be sensing the inside temperature of the iPhone, which is bound to be more warm.
Yeap
Definitely necessitates a new article...everybody in the Apple press (including us) took GeekBar at his word and got it wrong. If we're setting the record straight, we need to do more than just update an existing post (although we also did that).

I disagree, this is the first time you create a new post to explain an update for an iPhone 6 post afaik. Just say that you want people from other sites to quote the post since this info was corrected by macrumors members. :)

----------

Tin foil hat much?

Someone doesn't get the joke... wushhh right over you.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
No as your pocket warms up heating up the phone meaning it gives a wrong reading.

The closest they could get would be a temperature sensor the headphone remote. But even that is so close to the body that unless the body temperature isn't much above the ambient temperature, reading will still be biased.

----------

How you got temperature from a Barometer is beyond me.

Most barometers I know also measure the temperature because they have to. The pressure sensing mechanism is usually temperature-sensitive, meaning that changing the temperature will change its readings thus a temperature sensor is added to be able to correct for that. Where ambient pressure sensors might differ is whether they also provide that temperature reading along with the pressure data or only use it internally.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
Doctors barely have time to listen to a single complaint, let alone be bothered with any data from a phone!

My wife has hypertension and she uses a Withings blood pressure measuring cuff attached to her iPad to measure her blood pressure every morning. Her doctor likes her to bring her iPad to appointments so she can look at a graph of her blood pressure over the past few weeks/months, so she can assess the overall trend up or down, which might in turn point to the efficacy of her medication.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It's probably used in devices that are larger than an iPhone. The iPhone is basically a battery wrapped in metal and glass; it doesn't even have enough room to have the camera lens flush with the body. ;)

However, it doesn't mean that there isn't a way to calibrate the sensor to minimize the impact that the phone's internal environment would cause.

Right. Other phones have had ambient temperature sensors, with internal sensors for correction.

----------

How can a chip with no access to a source be able to detect your breathing.

It can't.

That was just an overall list of what the chip could be used for in equipment, not necessarily a smartphone.

Unless it's a smartphone with a hole to breathe into :)

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I want my phone to measure my blood alcohol level. Siri:"Looks like you're wasted. I won't send that message just yet, instead I ordered you a cab. Go home!"

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
In the past I would have scoffed at an iPhone used as a spirometer. It seems like healthcare, though, is being taken into the hands of the consumer as the medical care we receive deteriorates in quality. I was just at my PCP to do a spirometry test. I blew into this machine so many times I couldn't count. Each time they had a computer error. They could see my data but the computer couldn't compute the data because of some technical problem. No follow-up from the doctor. I just left with the impression that that was the best they could do.

It's kind of how we can now (where I live at least) not rely on the electrical grid. According my dad when he was growing up, the electricity went out maybe once a year at the most, if that. Now everyone in our neighborhood has a generator. We expect it to go out for 1-2 weeks each year, and from small storms, not just hurricanes.

Companies are in a ripe position to take over where public infrastructure is failing.

----------

Right. Other phones have had ambient temperature sensors, with internal sensors for correction.

----------

It can't.

That was just an overall list of what the chip could be used for in equipment, not necessarily a smartphone.

Unless it's a smartphone with a hole to breathe into :)

I was assuming the implication was that a device attached to the iPhone could work as a spirometer by using this new processor.

happywaiman

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2013
A cheap sensor, a 1GB NAND for system, a second NAND, NFC, poorly label diagram?
Sounds like an Android phone to me.
(Apple made the bootrom in the main NAND and CPU, not a separate one since it is small. And 1GB is never enough for the system. )

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
The closest they could get would be a temperature sensor the headphone remote. But even that is so close to the body that unless the body temperature isn't much above the ambient temperature, reading will still be biased.

----------

Most barometers I know also measure the temperature because they have to. The pressure sensing mechanism is usually temperature-sensitive, meaning that changing the temperature will change its readings thus a temperature sensor is added to be able to correct for that. Where ambient pressure sensors might differ is whether they also provide that temperature reading along with the pressure data or only use it internally.

Barometers don't measure temperature though. They're for the pressure of the atmosphere. Whether or not modern barometric devices include one wasn't my point.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
And, I can't figure out what Apple would use the humidity sensing for.

Maybe crowdsourcing weather? Could also be to provide more accurate estimates of calories burned during a workout, assuming that humidity has a significant effect. Anybody know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.