Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
I agree, I would give anything for an iPhone app that can accurately tell me its raining outside. More than half of my weather apps are showing cloudy with some percentage chance of rain while it is already raining cats and dogs outside!

I believe I speak for the majority when I say this is going to be of tremendous use for people like me who appreciate precise weather reporting!

Exactly, and if there is some smart processing on their side which tracks the changes as they approach your current location, you could get earlier and more precise warnings for weather events based on either your current location, or where you are headed based on maps, frequent locations etc. the possibilities are numerous and, for me at least, much more exciting than replacing my NFC card with my phone.

Bentov

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2007
With all the additional sensors etc. added to the iPhone, it's starting to sound like it's morphing into a Star Trek Tricorder-like device! Now if you could just wave it over your body and have it diagnose your medical problem ...

:eek:

Jim

But then Siri would be telling you, "damnit Jim, i'm an iPhone, not a medical device"

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
I agree, I would give anything for an iPhone app that can accurately tell me its raining outside. More than half of my weather apps are showing cloudy with some percentage chance of rain while it is already raining cats and dogs outside!

I believe I speak for the majority when I say this is going to be of tremendous use for people like me who appreciate precise weather reporting!

I have windows for that ;)

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
z-o-u!!

Hah it wouldn't let me capitalize it. I'm not yelling I just have spirit!

Yeah, it let me capitalize it when I was typing. But soon as I hit Submit Reply, it changed it all to lower case. A Jayhawk must have written the software.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Leave it to the MR forums!! :D :D

Seriously though... with all the available tech (NFC, wireless charging) we're getting a barometric pressure sensor?!? I would hope this is for the iWatch and not the iPhone.

I'll wait until Sept. 9th and hope to be wow'd, but right now I'm sitting here shaking my head. Give me something I give a crap about.:mad:

:apple:

NFC is never, ever, going to be on an iPhone. NFC, first of all, sucks, but most importantly, Apple has already brought out a much better technology themselves, called iBeacon, piggybacking on Bluetooth 4.0 LE which is a far more widespread technology on devices and cheaper to implement in locations. I don't know of anyone who has ever used NFC for anything, but I've personally used iBeacons and know lots of other people who have as well. I hear about iBeacon rollouts all the time, and it's been less than a year since Apple officially brought out the technology. In a few years it'll be everywhere.

Why would Apple settle for an inferior technology that is never going to catch on, when they're pushing their own standard that's being rapidly adopted?

Thats a bit short sighted. I am not sure exactly how it would work, but if every iphone fed weather related data and location into a system I would imagine it could do big things for weather analysis/reporting/forecasting. NFC and wireless charging are small things that exist, that may or may not be useful, and that Apple could easily choose to implement with little effort - not having them is a design choice. But access to hyperlocal weather data from on hundreds of millions of GPS located portable weather stations seems much bigger and more exciting to me.

You're absolutely right, lack of NFC integration is a design choice, and the right one at that.

As for adding new sensors, I'm always for it even if I can't personally think of a good use for it myself (though, like you, I can think of uses for a barometric sensor). Any time somebody says they think a new sensor is useless, I just have to laugh and shake my head. The same thing has been said about basically every sensor Apple has added to date, and yet, developers keep coming up with innovative new apps using that sensor data. More sensors mean more new apps using those sensors, making your phone more useful in ways you haven't dreamed of yet.

Eventually, our iPhones are going to be like tricorders. This is not a future we should be fighting.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I think the question is "What other senors can we load this sucker up with"

The iPhone will be soo crammed full of sensors, it will be be telepathic..

:eek: Now, THAT is freaky :eek:

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
NFC is never, ever, going to be on an iPhone. NFC, first of all, sucks, but most importantly, Apple has already brought out a much better technology themselves, called iBeacon, piggybacking on Bluetooth 4.0 LE which is a far more widespread technology on devices and cheaper to implement in locations. I don't know of anyone who has ever used NFC for anything, but I've personally used iBeacons and know lots of other people who have as well. I hear about iBeacon rollouts all the time, and it's been less than a year since Apple officially brought out the technology. In a few years it'll be everywhere.

Why would Apple settle for an inferior technology that is never going to catch on, when they're pushing their own standard that's being rapidly adopted?

Yes, I agree with you. NFC and the iPhone are doubtful.

I guess when I said NFC I meant some type of wireless-phone-payment solution. Don't care what tech is used, because businesses will adopt the Apple tech in no time. :)

yzp

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2007
Quebec
siri: "it's cold you should put on a blanket!"
- "no thank you siri!"

1 week later

doctor: "so you have the flu? I can see here siri asked you to put a blanket on and you ignored her, i would have to notify your insurance company!"

big brother

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Apple did patent smart headphones and your rist temperature doesn't change too much like your pocket and if the sensor would be facing out it would be very unlikely to be effected by the heat
I own to barometers which also provide a temperature reading. One can put into a pocket or worn around the neck on a 'built-in' string. Even having it hang around you neck, outside of a jacket, its reading is too high. Take it off and hang it, eg, on a branch of a tree and the reported temperature will go down a couple of degrees. The best one can do is to hang it on the back of a backpack.

The other barometer is a Suunto Core (a 'sports watch'). Right now I'm wearing it and am sitting in a 21ºC warm room and it reads 28ºC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.