Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I mentioned in a couple other threads that I had recently purchased an iPhone 6 Plus from eBay. Externally it was decent, only one slight ding in the back and some minor scratches. Screen is good, glass 100 percent intact. The seller mentioned that the headphone jack was bad - which is fine because I usually use Bluetooth or Airplay. All other hardware is just fine. The phone is in good condition.

But the battery was bad. I finally got around to fixing that. This phone being old, I decided to start with Best Buy. BB couldn't do anything for me as Apple told them I had to go to an Apple store. So, I made an appointment for Saturday (9/2/2023).

Starting around late 2015, the few times I've been there have been utter chaos. You also never used to need an appointment. Now you can't be helped without one.Yesterday, the chaos was no different. They were also behind and they sure do not appreciate you showing up early. I finally got seen after having to interrupt the Apple employee checking people in.

So, I show the genius the phone, tell him what it is and he acknowledges that it is a iPhone 6 Plus. He starts looking at it and I tell him that he might want to put it on charger as it will crash under load and the battery percent will drop. So, he then tells me that this is a logicboard issue. Which is strange, because it does NOT do this when on charger. If it's an actual LB issue it's going to happen on charger just as much as battery.

Apple genius is unhappy, but says he will do a diagnostic. I think it annoyed him greatly that I disagreed with him and that I pointed out how it was he could be wrong. After a minute or two with an iPad and an MBP he tells me that it doesn't matter anyway because he can't work on a phone that old. That's fine. I was expecting that - just not being shut down like that because I disagreed with the diagnosis. No idea why Apple support will let you book an appointment with a device as old as the iPhone 5 though.

So I took my phone and left. That's when I went to UBREAKIFIX. It was late, so they had to take it overnight, but they had a genuine Apple OEM battery for the iPhone 6 Plus. Picked it up around 12:15 today and it's working fine under load.

2023-09-03 13.54.59.jpg 2023-09-03 13.55.59.jpg

iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 6s Plus.

Apple genius, I think you were wrong.

Apple asked me to provide feedback today and I did. But I let them know that considering the way things are now, with the ability to buy Apple products elsewhere and have them serviced elsewhere - I don't exactly need them (the Apple store) anymore.

Unless I must, I don't think I'm going back.

EDIT 09/05/2023: ubreakifix has a one year repair warranty (including the battery). I didn't mention that earlier.

Last edited:

Helmsley

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2017
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
Sounds like you've had an unlucky experience. I can't offer any assistance but on the rare occasions I've had to visit my local Apple store, or use online support, I've found the service to be second-to-none.

Reactions: eyoungren

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m using an iPhone 6 Plus and it’s absolutely dreadful on iOS 12. I hate this phone. iOS 12 fixed nothing. It’s now slow as hell. It used to run fine on iOS 9. It’s really only useful as a remote control device. God I hate this phone.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Sounds like you've had an unlucky experience. I can't offer any assistance but on the rare occasions I've had to visit my local Apple store, or use online support, I've found the service to be second-to-none.
I would agree with you - except that this is not the first chaotic/bad experience at this store. I've been going there since 2012 and overall the experience has been great. But I feel as if some of the Apple geniuses are starting to exhibit the old Starbucks attitude, whereby you the customer should be worshipping the ground the genius walks upon and be forever grateful that they assisted you. In no case, should you ever question their judgement.

Perhaps this is simply because the store is in a mall, IDK. But the second factor here is that I am now annoyed at having to make an appointment. I can walk in to any other store and buy a product or receive service - but without an appointment at an Apple store it is very difficult to get anywhere. That speaks to management I think.

In any case, this store is 30 minutes away. Best Buy is 10 and so is UBREAKIFIX.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I’m using an iPhone 6 Plus and it’s absolutely dreadful on iOS 12. I hate this phone. iOS 12 fixed nothing. It’s now slow as hell. It used to run fine on iOS 9. It’s really only useful as a remote control device. God I hate this phone.
I'm not having any issues. But, I'm also not using my 6 Plus as a primary phone. I'm not even using my 6s Plus as a primary phone. That's my 11 Pro Max. Basically, I got the 6 Plus because it was the only phone I ever traded in and I wanted it back. Right now it's primarily doing duty streaming music.

My 6s Plus is a secondary phone with it's own line and I take that on walks in the morning. It also comes in handy as a backup phone. But the 6s Plus is on iOS 15.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
How do these 3rd party repair companies get hold of an Apple OEM battery, much less for an iPhone 6?

Frankenstein's Fat Foot

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2021
In my experience, in the UK at least, I find visits to my local Apple store absolutely horrendous and I avoid it at all costs if possible.

As you say complete chaos. Crowds of people. Everyone squeezing past each other. Queues. It's always the same.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
How do these 3rd party repair companies get hold of an Apple OEM battery, much less for an iPhone 6?
uBreakIfix is owned by Asurion. Asurion and Assurant are the two major companies that cover insurance for the major US carriers. That includes providing Applecare/Applecare+ coverage at carrier repair stores and places like Best Buy. It also means that uBreakiFix can provide AC/AC+ warranty coverage.

I would presume then, that uBreakiFix is probably getting their supply of Apple OEM parts from Asurion, which would be authorized to get them from Apple.

Otherwise, IDK. If I'd taken my phone to 'Joe's Cellphone Repair and BBQ', I'd be questioning it.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
In my experience, in the UK at least, I find visits to my local Apple store absolutely horrendous and I avoid it at all costs if possible.

As you say complete chaos. Crowds of people. Everyone squeezing past each other. Queues. It's always the same.
What truly bugs me is the whole appointment scheme. If you are making an appointment, the expectation is that you will be seen at the time you have set. I get that it can get busy and just like a doctor's office they run behind. But to be iced out because you showed up early (I understand I have to wait until my appointed time, but no need to get annoyed with me for being early) and then still having to deal with the chaos is not working for me.

What was interesting, is that there was an Apple genius holding one of Apple's training meetings where they teach customers how to do X, Y and Z. The store was so loud the genius doing the presentation had trouble communicating with the people present for the meeting.

I don't know what they can do, but this has to change.

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
What truly bugs me is the whole appointment scheme. If you are making an appointment, the expectation is that you will be seen at the time you have set. I get that it can get busy and just like a doctor's office they run behind. But to be iced out because you showed up early (I understand I have to wait until my appointed time, but no need to get get annoyed with me for being early) and then still having to deal with the chaos is not working for me.

What was interesting, is that there was an Apple genius holding one of Apple's training meetings where they teach customers how to do X, Y and Z. The store was so loud the genius doing the presentation had trouble communicating with the people present for the meeting.

I don't know what they can do, but this has to change.
Here in southern CA it's amazing how just a difference of 20-30 mins of driving one can get a really great experience and a really horrible experience. Whoever manages these stores makes or breaks the ability for these "geniuses" to smile and be happy, to be overworked or able to prioritize customers. My experience here - the closer you get to LA, the worse, overloaded, and overworked these Apple Stores are.

I go out of my way to hit our local Apple Store (about 50 mins north east of downtown LA) because I'm usually greeted with a smile, enough Apple Geniuses, and all goes well.

I even went in yesterday to trade in an old iPad Air and recycle a really old mini and a handful of AirPods - despite not having an appointment, I was out of there within 15 mins. That would not have happened at the stores I mentioned above.

But yeah, if I'm going out of my way to bring $ to a company, it's not a privilege for them to get my $. If I was treated like you, that would have bothered me greatly. I'm glad you filled out the feedback. Apple needs to know these overworked, poorly managed stores turn people away from Apple. I go out of my way to give feedback to my local Apple Store telling them to not change the manager because this store is a big reason why Apple gets so much of my $.

Thanks for posting your experience. How many years of use are you hoping to get out of that phone? :D

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Here in southern CA it's amazing how just a difference of 20-30 mins of driving one can get a really great experience and a really horrible experience. Whoever manages these stores makes or breaks the ability for these "geniuses" to smile and be happy, to be overworked or able to prioritize customers. My experience here - the closer you get to LA, the worse, overloaded, and overworked these Apple Stores are.

I go out of my way to hit our local Apple Store (about 50 mins north east of downtown LA) because I'm usually greeted with a smile, enough Apple Geniuses, and all goes well.

I even went in yesterday to trade in an old iPad Air and recycle a really old mini and a handful of AirPods - despite not having an appointment, I was out of there within 15 mins. That would not have happened at the stores I mentioned above.

But yeah, if I'm going out of my way to bring $ to a company, it's not a privilege for them to get my $. If I was treated like you, that would have bothered me greatly. I'm glad you filled out the feedback. Apple needs to know these overworked, poorly managed stores turn people away from Apple. I go out of my way to give feedback to my local Apple Store telling them to not change the manager because this store is a big reason why Apple gets so much of my $.

Thanks for posting your experience. How many years of use are you hoping to get out of that phone? :D
Location is probably a big factor, as you are bringing up. I mentioned the store I have frequented is in a mall. That'd be the store at Arrowhead Towne Center mall in Glendale, Az. That's about 10 miles away, a 30 minute drive (there is always traffic). So, mall traffic I imagine impacts things.

There are two other Apple stores in the Phoenix Metro area, both twice the distance than the other store. Apple Scottsdale Corner and Apple Scottsdale Fashion Square. I've never been in them, but both are in Scottsdale.

Scottsdale, AZ, incidentally, is the equivalent of Beverly Hills. So, essentially I'd be driving to an Apple store in Beverly Hills. No chaos there I would imagine. The Fashion Square store would be the part of Scottsdale where all the high end stores like Gucci, Prada, Michael Kors, etc are located. I'm even less likely to be going there, LOL.

It's just really inconvenient to go to these stores, which is why I've never gone to them.

As to how long I will keep the 6 Plus, I guess until it dies. I mean I have older iPhones that all still boot and I use them periodically. I figured they'd end up on a shelf at some point as display pieces. My kids will probably have to deal with getting rid of the stuff. :D

But for right now it's functioning as a media device. It's unlocked and still supported on T-Mobile's network so I can put the SIM from my 6s Plus in too. I tested that already by making a call from it.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Had the battery on my 6S+ replaced at Apple Store.
Of course they messed it up Ang had to give me a refurb.
Not a bad deal. I still had to pay the $25 for their battery mess up, but they gave me a 128 gb instead of the 64 gb I had.
Nice. I had the battery on my 6s Plus replaced in November 2021. There wasn't any problems at that time but the genius did try to sell me on an iPad, SMH. :)

Despite my initial hate over the camera bump (and the antenna bands) when the 6 series launched, these series has proven to be solid for me. My iPhone 5, on the other hand, has been replaced twice for battery swelling.

Reactions: jagolden

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020

True in the big central London ones, but others are generally fine. Bristol one is rarely very busy and the staff are helpful, even if last time I took in a MacBook Air for repair they just ran software updates on it and told me it was fixed, got home to find the issue was still there. Which was a bit weird.

Reactions: iGeek2019

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
They are salesmen, so they'll say anything, even lie, in order to make people buy new stuff instead of repairing or servicing.
I am starting to see that. I did some Googling after I got home on this and you're right. A lot of them are being turned into sales reps. I work with sales reps, have my entire design career and I really don't care for the lot of them.

But now you have me thinking, based on your assertion, that the genius probably realized he wasn't going to sell me anything so cut it all off. I am not a genius, but I've been around computers since 1980 and cell phones since 1999 and tech interests me. So, I'm not your average customer I guess where he could have talked me into something.

Reactions: AlixSPQR

Frankenstein's Fat Foot

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2021
True in the big central London ones, but others are generally fine. Bristol one is rarely very busy and the staff are helpful, even if last time I took in a MacBook Air for repair they just ran software updates on it and told me it was fixed, got home to find the issue was still there. Which was a bit weird.
Never been to a London store so not referring to those.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
They are salesmen, so they'll say anything, even lie, in order to make people buy new stuff instead of repairing or servicing.

That may sound nice to claim, but I've never had one try to push a new product on me. Heck, when I took in my MBP for what I expected was frame damage (or lid damage) the Mac tech ran the diagnostics required to send it in under AC+, then asked if I had 10 minutes for him to try something in the back as he had a hunch. All it ended up needing was the display lid unscrewed and re-aligned, and I was able to walk out with my machine same day.

Reactions: eyoungren

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Apple Store Genius Bar experience is one of the reasons I buy Apple devices. Not the only reason but it’s a big part. I absolutely hated dealing with Dell/HP or others. Ability to walk down to a store 10 mins away and get your problem taken care is cool.

AlixSPQR

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Sweden
That may sound nice to claim, but I've never had one try to push a new product on me. Heck, when I took in my MBP for what I expected was frame damage (or lid damage) the Mac tech ran the diagnostics required to send it in under AC+, then asked if I had 10 minutes for him to try something in the back as he had a hunch. All it ended up needing was the display lid unscrewed and re-aligned, and I was able to walk out with my machine same day.
Well, that’s different, you’d already paid for that service. Edit: Also, they saved themselves money, didn't they?

Last edited:

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Try the latest iOS 15 that works on the device.
My college has it on his 6S+ and refuses to swap his phone as it is still being supported with software updates.
i'm using iOS 15 on my SE and it works great.

But check battery status, if its to degraded it will throttle and that affects performance.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
I have yet to get in-store service. The only times I had to get any repairs done, I sent the devices in right away because there was no Apple Store nearby. That process was absolutely painless. No questions, no back and forth...

Acer on the other hand when I had one of their laptops... sent it in, asked about it several times over the course of weeks and the whole thing turned a little ugly after a while.
Never bought any of their products again and I don't think I will.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
In alot of cases, it's knockoff. most of these aren't actually OEM but still do vary in quality. I've gone this route before in the past and the battery only lasts about a year under light use at 1/3 - 1/2 of the cost of apple. Same with places like ifixit. Sometimes you get lucky and it lasts longer but with phones like the 6, there isn't another choice. If you're unlucky, it goes boom lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.