Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi,

Recently I've noticed my iPhone 6+ has become more and more frustrating to use. I can't pinpoint a date - maybe it was after iOS 10 or another update - but it seems incredible how slow it is! The camera will take forever to open, and then hang with a blurred screen before finally being usable after about 10 seconds, Snapchat will take about 15 seconds to become responsive, once Spotify is paused it's purged from memory almost instantly and it takes forever to reopen, Safari will hang and be unresponsive, occasionally it won't unlock after pressing the home button before suddenly catching up and opening Wallet from the lock screen, etc...

Was just wondering whether it was just me, or others have noticed the same. It feels similar to when iOS devices are running out of space, but I still have about 19GB free on my 64GB phone.

Is it a software issue, or just the result of two-year-old (slightly underpowered...) hardware?

Thanks.

Thor_1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2016
Texas
Hi,

Recently I've noticed my iPhone 6+ has become more and more frustrating to use. I can't pinpoint a date - maybe it was after iOS 10 or another update - but it seems incredible how slow it is! The camera will take forever to open, and then hang with a blurred screen before finally being usable after about 10 seconds, Snapchat will take about 15 seconds to become responsive, once Spotify is paused it's purged from memory almost instantly and it takes forever to reopen, Safari will hang and be unresponsive, occasionally it won't unlock after pressing the home button before suddenly catching up and opening Wallet from the lock screen, etc...

Was just wondering whether it was just me, or others have noticed the same. It feels similar to when iOS devices are running out of space, but I still have about 19GB free on my 64GB phone.

Is it a software issue, or just the result of two-year-old (slightly underpowered...) hardware?

Thanks.

Maybe wipe and start over.

Rayy42

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2014
this was literally my life as soon as I upgraded to iOS 10. Very frustrating! Something that was happening too was as soon as I upgraded my software, I kept dropping and missing calls. Nobody could seem to figure out why and kept saying, "just wait for a patch!"

I just broke down and got the 7 Plus and while it's not a major upgrade, the new features are nice and the $650 promotion I got through Verizon made that pill a bit easier to swallow.

Maybe wait for another carrier promotion to come out so you can get the new phone for a very reasonable price would be my best recommendation.

Reactions: Jetcat3

greatness

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2014
planned obsolescence? I'm experiencing similar symptoms with my 6- it's just that time in its lifecycle to find a replacement. With the promotions nowadays there seems very little reason to replace parts in a phone (battery, display, etc) instead of the upgrade.

I echo the sentiments here- it may just be time to jump onto the latest and greatest.

Reactions: Jetcat3

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Defective storage card?

I would wipe and start fresh. I always liked clean install methods. Also, the apps you are using, all those updates too.

Is there a way to clean all the system and app cache? that has helped with Android.

While 19GB free, and 45GB used may sound okay, might be an issue. On larger storage models (128GB) I read somewhere they also get more lanes, better I/O.

Then if it is sluggish consider other options.

I just picked up Apple refurb 6S+ and very pleased, came with 10.1+ too. I previously owned an AT&T unit and went to get out from contract etc and whatever else AT&T installs.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Noticed this on my 6 Plus compared to my 6s or 7
Shame how a device not even that old is becomming laggy

Reactions: WSPAN1C

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
I noticed my old 5s seems a little slow at times on ios10 but that might be because I'm now used to a 7.

I turned on reduced motion and it's got rid of pretty much any lag now, so you could try that.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I noticed my old 5s seems a little slow at times on ios10 but that might be because I'm now used to a 7.

I turned on reduced motion and it's got rid of pretty much any lag now, so you could try that.
Having to turn Reduce Motion on, on a 2 year old device makes me "upset"

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm almost positive that iOS 10 is toxic for the iPhone 6+

I had mine almost 2yrs with no issues whatsoever and after iOS 10 it started lagging, freezing and eventually became unusable with touch disease symptoms

Traded it in for the 7+ but I'm dissapointed that I had to when I really didn't want to

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I have the same on my 6 and since the iOS 10.1 (i guess) update the battery went crazy, it drains like 10% every 7-8 minutes of use.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I'm almost positive that iOS 10 is toxic for the iPhone 6+

I had mine almost 2yrs with no issues whatsoever and after iOS 10 it started lagging, freezing and eventually became unusable with touch disease symptoms

Traded it in for the 7+ but I'm dissapointed that I had to when I really didn't want to
Touch Disease is hardware related

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Hi,

Thanks.
I use an IPhone 6 and it's very responsive and very fast.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

Also turn on reduce transparency. Those two features tend to use processing power for not all that useful of features. It helped speed things up on day one of my 6 Plus and 6s Plus.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Hi,

Thanks.
I'm curious. Do you have background app refresh turned on for everything? What about location services? Do you use the Facebook app - this app is known to run in the background regardless of background app refresh settings. Do you play a lot of games, or videos? It sounds like something is causing systemwide lag and you need to find the culprit.

Reactions: HEK

deano1972

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2016
United Kingdom
Having to turn Reduce Motion on, on a 2 year old device makes me "upset"
Well my 5s is 3 years old and I only use it as an iPod or spare phone now I have a 7 .. but I get your point, especially with a 2 year old 6/6plus. I expect to get at least a good 3 years out of a new iPhone.

Reactions: kazmac

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Well my 5s is 3 years old and I only use it as an iPod or spare phone now I have a 7 .. but I get your point, especially with a 2 year old 6/6plus. I expect to get at least a good 3 years out of a new iPhone.
Exactly, my 6 Plus is a trap phone, but I still want it to run good

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Original poster
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies.

this was literally my life as soon as I upgraded to iOS 10. Very frustrating! Something that was happening too was as soon as I upgraded my software, I kept dropping and missing calls. Nobody could seem to figure out why and kept saying, "just wait for a patch!"

I just broke down and got the 7 Plus and while it's not a major upgrade, the new features are nice and the $650 promotion I got through Verizon made that pill a bit easier to swallow.

Maybe wait for another carrier promotion to come out so you can get the new phone for a very reasonable price would be my best recommendation.

Thanks - it might be to do with iOS 10, in any case it's very frustrating to use. Missed a photo opportunity today as it took so long opening the app and switching to the correct mode. I've never kept a phone this long before so it might be the result of two major iOS upgrades, but I still think it should run better than this. I would consider a 7 Plus, but am a student and have just bought a new MacBook Pro so that's most of my disposable income gone for the foreseeable future... Maybe a second hand 6s Plus might be viable.

Defective storage card?

I would wipe and start fresh. I always liked clean install methods. Also, the apps you are using, all those updates too.

Is there a way to clean all the system and app cache? that has helped with Android.

While 19GB free, and 45GB used may sound okay, might be an issue. On larger storage models (128GB) I read somewhere they also get more lanes, better I/O.

Then if it is sluggish consider other options.

I just picked up Apple refurb 6S+ and very pleased, came with 10.1+ too. I previously owned an AT&T unit and went to get out from contract etc and whatever else AT&T installs.
Honestly not sure if it's a storage issue, I get the feeling it's fine. Seems to me like there's either a memory leak somewhere or the phone is chronically underpowered - I might try a wipe and restore and see what happens.

I use an IPhone 6 and it's very responsive and very fast.
I think the combination of the same CPU/GPU but rendering everything @3x and then downscaling to 1080p is what might make the 6 Plus slower than the 6.

I'm curious. Do you have background app refresh turned on for everything? What about location services? Do you use the Facebook app - this app is known to run in the background regardless of background app refresh settings. Do you play a lot of games, or videos? It sounds like something is causing systemwide lag and you need to find the culprit.
I do have background app refresh on for quite a few apps, but not all, and yes, do use FB. It's been fine up until recently, though. I don't really game on it - it's usually Safari, Messages, Spotify and social media which take up the majority of time. Not really sure if any of those could cause any issues.

I might try a full wipe and restore this week since I have some time off - if it doesn't help, might just have to live with it. It's definitely not just me - gave my phone to a friend to look something up and they complained how 'laggy' it was, especially compared to their 6s!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.