Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odds

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2014
Los Angeles
This picture of a Chinese worker handling an iPhone 6 is the closest thing we've seen to a real "competed phone" leak, isn't it? Someone, please, *ENHANCE*!

Edit: Damn, it's just a picture of workers handling what seem to be models of the iPhone 5/5S. Never mind..

rols

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2008
No offense, but this isn't Apple's first rodeo. They have a process that they follow. They probably don't solidify the release date until it passes this quality control check; maybe they don't even officially send out the invites for the event until it passes.

Indeed - which is why I don't believe that quality assurance would be this late and full production wasn't already going if the September date is correct. I think this rumor is just wrong.

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
What's so big with the camrea comming out a litte? Nobody complain with the iPod touch - a few people found it to be cool as it showed the iPod was so thin it couldn't have all it's camrea inside of if!

Nothing. No big deal at all. Protruding camera, unsightly antenna bands ..we are just that much closer to a brown Zune

Smartass

macrumors 65816
Dec 18, 2012
I hope for a sapphire display cover, liquid metal bands , 2100mah battery, 6.7mm thickness , no more than 120g weight and i will not care even if they make it 100$ expensive to cover the profits by the materials used

do you even know what good is liquid metal for, or are you just saying it because of its cool name?

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
No offense, but this isn't Apple's first rodeo. They have a process that they follow. They probably don't solidify the release date until it passes this quality control check; maybe they don't even officially send out the invites for the event until it passes.

Well... They haven't officially sent out invites so...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Rather than getting extra help by robots, and wasting money, why not just do what Apple did with the Mac Pro ..

Build it in the U.S ?

That's way, people get to keep their jobs (hopefully), they may even get payed more, and the money we save from designing robot workers can go into mpre production of the iPhone.

Besides, robot workers aren't perfect just like any tech, we'll get bad firmware in there, and suddenly Foxconn is under attack by androids.

Naimfan

Suspended
Jan 15, 2003
Rather than getting extra help by robots, and wasting money, why not just do what Apple did with the Mac Pro ..

Build it in the U.S ?

Because it would most likely drive the cost up significantly.

Keerock

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2005
Jony: "Alright, everyone happy with their new iPhones?"
Executive Team: *looks at the protruding camera* "ummmm...suuuurrrrreee..."

Yeah, the streets are littered with iPod Touches that people have thrown away in disgust…

and don't go into the sales numbers as your defense, it's a different product than the iPhone and less popular from the start.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
And before anyone says "spec don't matter" Let's not forget all the SHOUTING ABOUT SPECS when Apple introduced the higher res screen years ago they called Retina, which is embarrassingly so far behind other leading brands now.

it does make me sad. my friend at work has a note 3 and we watch clips of random movies in our lunch room for fun once in awhile. yesterday we watched the new transformers and my god, ill never say it aloud but the screen on that phone is freaking awesome.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
It's going to need far more than just a bigger screen and an incremental update to the camera to make me want to upgrade from my 5s.

You have the latest and greatest until Sept 9. You can't be seriously thinking about upgrading ?
Even though I know Apple tries their best, I don't think product releases are targeted for people to upgrade every time a new product comes out.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
This year apple really managed to flood internet with all kinds of fakes. At this point I will just wait for the real announcement and see what they have to show us, because what I'm seeing right now is bull.

singhjeet29

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2008
Is this enough time to have the amount of phones necessary for the gigantic launch week in 5 weeks?

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
It's going to need far more than just a bigger screen and an incremental update to the camera to make me want to upgrade from my 5s.

Upgrading the phone after one year is not smart regardless, hardly ever is it worth updating a phone after a one year update

El Hikaru

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2013
I am always impressed by the production speed.
Even a family owned bakery needs some time to start setting a new ingredient bread on their shelf.
A new model each year.
Each consumer may buy 1, but the manufacture is making millions units with approximately the same quality.
New York Metropolitan Transit planned to complete 2nd Avenue subway line by 2006 when they even did not start constructing yet.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Upgrading the phone after one year is not smart regardless, hardly ever is it worth updating a phone after a one year update

Speak for yourself.

Early upgrade cost for a 32GB iPhone = $549

Money from sale of last year's 32GB iPhone = $500

Net spent = $49.

Plenty worth it.

MyDataMyProbs

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2014
I am always impressed by the production speed.
Even a family owned bakery needs some time to start setting a new ingredient bread on their shelf.
A new model each year.
Each consumer may buy 1, but the manufacture is making millions units with approximately the same quality.
New York Metropolitan Transit planned to complete 2nd Avenue subway line by 2006 when they even did not start constructing yet.

what?

Jett0516

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2010

Let's see....

-new form
-different volume & power buttons
-thin bezels
-thinner
-lighter
-bigger battery
-better screen and maybe higher resolution also
-ios8
-and maybe comes with beats headphones

That's enough for me to upgrade. And I'll be the 1st in line comes launch day.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Let's see....

-new form
-different volume & power buttons
-thin bezels
-thinner
-lighter
-bigger battery
-better screen and maybe higher resolution also
-ios8
-and maybe comes with beats headphones

That's enough for me to upgrade. And I'll be the 1st in line comes launch day.

Yup, I'm coming from an iPhone 5 so it'll be even more 'impressive' for me as I will also enjoy the 5S features (such as Touch ID and Slo-Mo video).

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
If this is true and mass production in only just starting then supplies will be tight come the end of September. But I don't see how it was going to be any different. Sounds like there are enough significant changes to the iPhone 6 that finalizing production was always going to come down to the wire.

IMO, with Apple rumored to be upping their iP6 unit production to 80m+ to satisy September launch demand, I'm a little shocked that the iP6 hasn't already entered mass production? I question these sources.

----------

Final quality assurance? Seems a bit late doesn't it. They sold about 10 million of the things last year in the first weekend. There's about 40 days until a probable launch, need to have say 20 million on hand, that's 500,000 a day or about 20,000 an hour every hour from now until then, 6 every second.

All to be assembled, tested, boxed, have iOS put on them at the end.

There was a rumor of 100,000 people hired to build them, say that's 4 shifts, 25,000 working each shift. So one phone gets 25,000 / 6 people seconds of build time or about an hour.

Seems a little short to me.

Agreed! IMO, with Apple rumored to be upping their iP6 unit production to 80m+ to satisy September launch demand (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...rders-suppliers-make-80-MILLION-handsets.html), I'm a little shocked that the iP6 hasn't already entered mass production? I question these sources.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.