Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
My mum’s iPhone 6 (my old one) is on its last legs and so I’m going to sort out a replacement but looking for advice as to how well supported a 7 would be for the next few years? A 7 would be absolutely fine as she doesn’t want to spend a lot but I don’t want to do that if it’ll be useless in a year. Much difference between the 7 and 8? Thinking I’ll get a refurb from music magpie or similar.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
Why the 6 is on its last legs? I've just replaced my 6 for the 12, and I'm continuing using it for work, for messaging and big email account managing and is working pretty fine (I've changed the battery 2.5 years a go, 98% battery capacity). I guess that the difference 7/8 is substantially on cameras but if you say "A 7 would be absolutely fine..." so then go for it unless you get a good deal on the 8... Think that the 7 (and specially the 8) is noticeable thicker and heavier than the 6 even if they have the same form factor. For the future support, I think that the 7 will have another iOS release at minimum and the iphone 8 should have at least 2 extra ones minimum. But is difficult to predict. If you think in support as "service repairs" then you don't need to worry, I'm still able to get official repairs for the 6 nowadays)

If the 6 is in good general condition you can also consider in replacing the battery. A bad battery is not just affecting the battery life, is also affecting the performance of the phone dramatically.

I hope it helps!

mk313

macrumors 68000
Feb 6, 2012
I think the difference between 7 & 8 is relative to the carriers. Sprint/T Mobile benefits a lot from the 8 over the 7, due to the addition of Band 66 in the iPhone 8, plus the 8 being native VOLTE on sprint's network, which helps with the integration of the T Mo network. I am not sure on the other carriers, but I can say that my Sprint 8 gets way better reception than my Sprint 7.

Reactions: Mac2019

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Why the 6 is on its last legs? I've just replaced my 6 for the 12, and I'm continuing using it for work, for messaging and big email account managing and is working pretty fine (I've changed the battery 2.5 years a go, 98% battery capacity). I guess that the difference 7/8 is substantially on cameras but if you say "A 7 would be absolutely fine..." so then go for it unless you get a good deal on the 8... Think that the 7 (and specially the 8) is noticeable thicker and heavier than the 6 even if they have the same form factor. For the future support, I think that the 7 will have another iOS release at minimum and the iphone 8 should have at least 2 extra ones minimum. But is difficult to predict. If you think in support as "service repairs" then you don't need to worry, I'm still able to get official repairs for the 6 nowadays)

If the 6 is in good general condition you can also consider in replacing the battery. A bad battery is not just affecting the battery life, is also affecting the performance of the phone dramatically.

I hope it helps!
Last legs - battery terrible, earpiece awful as she can hardly hear the person on the other end and microphone not functioning properly as she sounds muffled when talking. Seems counter productive to pay to fix all of those things.
No problem with the 7 being heavier as the 6 is featherlight anyway.

She also likes taking photos so a better camera is not a necessity but would be a nice by product.

Was helpful, thanks

Reactions: robertosh

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I would consider the 8. The 6s and 7 will most likely not be getting support for much longer. The 8 will get the "few years" of support you are hoping to get from a phone.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada

I hope it helps!
I’m on a 6 but it is getting sluggish so a new battery is probably due.

However, is there any way to get it to run iOS 13? There are many apps that require you do so.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I would consider the 8. The 6s and 7 will most likely not be getting support for much longer. The 8 will get the "few years" of support you are hoping to get from a phone.
This is my thinking, but the big jump in cost is the main sticking point.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
My mum’s iPhone 6 (my old one) is on its last legs and so I’m going to sort out a replacement but looking for advice as to how well supported a 7 would be for the next few years? A 7 would be absolutely fine as she doesn’t want to spend a lot but I don’t want to do that if it’ll be useless in a year. Much difference between the 7 and 8? Thinking I’ll get a refurb from music magpie or similar.
Hi. The cost of fixing the 6 is not worth it. Forget about above 7. Your mom does what her iPhone what it is supposed to do first: making calls. So get her a mint condition 6s. More powerful than her dying 6 and powerful enough for her placing calls and taking photos occasionally. If you can find a mint condition 7, go for it but I wonder what will be the benefits for the usage you mon make of a phone. One thing: forget the "future proof for iOS 25" argument. Not in your mother's case. iOS 12 would be fine or 13 but 14, too much for the 6s I know it. Maybe for a 7 but is it mandatory for placing calls and taking photos at times? No.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I still use my 7 Plus next to my 12 Pro Max (previously used the XS Max) and honestly ... the iPhone 7 still feels very fast. Opening apps don’t feel much slower than my new 12 Pro Max. The camera however ... jikes haha

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
Well u didn’t mention budget. But if she will use the new phone as long as her current for 6 years it will be cheaper to go for a 8 or SE in the long term...

Reactions: bobby68 and Mac2019

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Well u didn’t mention budget. But if she will use the new phone as long as her current for 6 years it will be cheaper to go for a 8 or SE in the long term...
Probably £200.
Ah no, she has had it for about 2 years, I had it for around 3.5 before that.

Have sold to music magpie but never bought from, are they reliable?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
If she wants a modern phone i think 7 would bena good phone for a light user with occasional pics. Battery life should be decent. And phones will continue to work regardless if theyre updated or not. I still have an iPhone 4 that works. Needs a new battery but for making calls and text it works. Heck 911 calls eve works.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Honestly, our iPhone 7s have crap batteries already which is why we upgraded to the iPhone SE 2020. I'm not even a heavy phone user. Just talk, text and occasional camera use. Battery's my primary issue buying used, especially for a phone that's 4 years old.

Granted, I'm in the US where there are plenty of deals on the SE (paid $250 + tax for AT&T 128GB SE2).

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I have a 6 Plus I use every day and a 7 I never use and a 8 I rarely use.
The difference in camera photo quality between the 8 and 6 isn't huge. I take pictures with my 8 and copy them over to my 6 Plus photos app and usually I can't tell which photo was taken with which camera. In the photos that I think I can tell, the difference is small. Looks a little better on the iPhone screen.
So I wouldn't upgrade just for the camera because it's not much of an improvement.
The iPhone 8 though is WAY faster than the 6 Plus. It's a way better phone except for the smaller screen. That's the reason I'm still using the 6 Plus. Big screen and the lightest of plus sized phones. The 1 GB of RAM is brutal though. Really annoying.

Radeon962

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2020
That isn’t a bad shout, but will be very expensive.
Depends on what one wants to define as expensive. If they plan on keeping the phone for many years the SE is a good option as it was released in 2020 while the 8 was released in 2017 so you will get iOS updates for a longer time starting now.

Looks like he is not in the US so the equation may change as you can find the SE for under $300 and the 8 is under $200 on Swappa.

Extra $100 for a 3 year newer phone that is quite a bit better under the hood would make more sense unless price is the ultimate decision maker.

Reactions: bobby68 and Mac2019

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
I would pay that but no idea where I could get an 8 for £200.

Facebook marketplace, Gumtree or eBay. I’d favour eBay moreso for the return policy.

FYI: just checked eBay now: there are several 64GB iPhone 8’s advertised for £200 or under. Worthwhile having a look if you’re keen to purchase the 8!

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Facebook marketplace, Gumtree or eBay. I’d favour eBay moreso for the return policy.

FYI: just checked eBay now: there are several 64GB iPhone 8’s advertised for £200 or under. Worthwhile having a look if you’re keen to purchase the 8!
eBay concerns me though as it’s any Tom, dick or Harry selling it, and it could be in a terrible state. This is why I’d favour somewhere like Music Magpie.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
eBay concerns me though as it’s any Tom, dick or Harry selling it, and it could be in a terrible state. This is why I’d favour somewhere like Music Magpie.

Have you checked your local branch of CEX? Depending on network, you can get an 8 starting from below £200. I've bought a 6s and XS from them in the past and been well pleased. The best part is that you can go to the shop and check condition/battery health, etc. This may not be possible however if you are in a tier 4 area at the moment.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Have you checked your local branch of CEX? Depending on network, you can get an 8 starting from below £200. I've bought a 6s and XS from them in the past and been well pleased. The best part is that you can go to the shop and check condition/battery health, etc. This may not be possible however if you are in a tier 4 area at the moment.
Very good idea, I will check them out this week. Tier 2 so I’m all good.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Very good idea, I’ll take a look this week. In tier 2 so I’m all good.

Reactions: MiamiBeach
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.