Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ruggy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2017
I have bought 2 refurbished phones from Backmarket and I know they are available in the UK
the first one was perfect and delivered quickly.
The second one was as described but they'd clearly not stuck the battery down properly when they refurbished it so it was rattling around.
The took it back and refunded me without and blink although it did take maybe 3 weeks to get the money back as they had to receive the phone, check it out and process the paperwork.
You only really know if a company is good when they have to handle something going wrong so on that basis- and the fact the phones were as advertised- I'd say they are good but this was Backmarket France.

robertosh

macrumors 65816
Mar 2, 2011
Switzerland
I’m on a 6 but it is getting sluggish so a new battery is probably due.

However, is there any way to get it to run iOS 13? There are many apps that require you do so.
Not officially for sure. Maybe you can via jailbreak but I’m not up to date on that... 12 is still ok for the apps that I’m using

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
I think my current iPhone7 has another 2 product cycles on it before its totally obsolete. I just replaced the battery $50, it was at 75%. The only issue I have with it is the earphone hard wire has software and or hardware issues.

and unlike your mother my next iPhone must have 5G. A 12 mini maybe.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
eBay concerns me though as it’s any Tom, dick or Harry selling it, and it could be in a terrible state.

True, that's why you look carefully at the photos before you bid on an item. If the item comes in a condition not described by the seller, or an item doesn't work on the phone not identified by the seller, just send the phone back.

This is why I’d favour somewhere like Music Magpie.
Fair enough. Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. Fingers crossed you can pick up a phone that's within your budget!

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
If she wants the home button still, the 2020 SE is your best option

If she doesn't mind its absence, the Mini should do the trick. Depends on how big she likes her screen though. If she needs the screen slightly larger, an 11 Pro off of ebay or Swappa might not be a bad option tbh.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If she wants the home button still, the 2020 SE is your best option

If she doesn't mind its absence, the Mini should do the trick. Depends on how big she likes her screen though. If she needs the screen slightly larger, an 11 Pro off of ebay or Swappa might not be a bad option tbh.
Seems like the prices of those would be a fair bit higher.

Reactions: Mac2019

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
So they have swappa in your country. I like how they are more transparent with the condition of the phone. And you have buyer protection on there if it doesn’t meet the standards. They even post battery health percentages.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
I would consider the 8. The 6s and 7 will most likely not be getting support for much longer. The 8 will get the "few years" of support you are hoping to get from a phone.
Irrelevant for someone who only makes calls and take a few photos. I still have an old iPhone 5s on iOS 10 and believe me, it's more than enough to make calls and take a few shots of the clouds or a cat purring on your cousin's lap. Where do you get the idea that Apple giving support for the next decade is a pre-condition to buy. If someone thinks like that then forget about iPhone 12 and wait fort iPhone 17. What kind of support does Apple give to an old phone. They give support for a device with warranty. Period. I rad this so often "buy the newest one you can for Apple support". I guess that means "I so wanna have the latest of the latest version of iOS, I think life is impossible without the next version". Wow! Wow!

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
if you do ebay look at the sale info. Is the seller offering complete refunds? Look at their user satisfaction.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Why not just get a 2020 SE and be done with it? Yeah it's more expensive but it'll have a warranty and a chance at apple care as well. It's not that expensive.
Because it’s £399 v £215 for a refurbished 8. Big difference when the user will not make use of any of the increased specs.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Decided to go for an 8. An extra £184 for the SE is not worth it. She will literally not notice the difference.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
Excellent choice, will definitely be usable for several years. Where did you end up purchasing from?
Music Magpie. I imagine they’re slightly more expensive but I’d rather pay it knowing the the device has been checked and comes with a warranty from them. Could save £30-50 on FB marketplace or eBay but that would be just buying from some random person and have no idea what state the phone is in, internally.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Music Magpie. I imagine they’re slightly more expensive but I’d rather pay it knowing the the device has been checked and comes with a warranty from them. Could save £30-50 on FB marketplace or eBay but that would be just buying from some random person and have no idea what state the phone is in, internally.
Good decision. I have purchased several items from them and been well pleased.

harriska2

macrumors 68000
Mar 16, 2011
Oregon
My husband is a great technician. But when trying to replace the battery in the old SE, we broke the home button. The phone works but it has an onscreen home button and no way to unlock via fingerprint. He now has a brand new $359 2020 SE - and as cheap a luddite as he is, I can tell he likes it and appreciates its lack of “issues.”

We’ll be replacing the battery in my old SE but new batteries are still not a panacea. These devices really work well for 2-3 years then they have weird priblems that crop up that may or may not be battery related. It’s why I no longer buy used (and I’m cheap). I’m still too cheap to replace mine as I really hate cell phones and am waiting on a watch with good, independent cell phone capabilities.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.