Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edtorious

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Diego, California
I would like to ask the opinion of Android users here who has been using an android phones the same size as iPhone 6+ and who is also familiar with smaller iPhone 5 or 5s and the iOs environment on what they think of the functionalities of the bigger screen size on the iPhone now 6+? Did you like it? Is that something you can live with or would you prefer the smaller iPhone 6 even though you are used to bigger phones?

Most of the post here that are switching from iPhone 6+ to the smaller iPhone 6 has never had an android phones in their life and so I can understand their sentiment. I myself don't have any experience on bigger android phones and the android OS. And like others I myself is having second thought on my iPhone 6+ but I want to give it a chance and telling myself that if Android users can live with the bigger phones, why can't I?

The thing that irks me is the functionality that I feel like I used to do a lot before is now I'm losing because of the bigger iPhone. Just like the swiping my thumb from the edge of the screen and swiping across the screen to go back and/or forward thru the web browser pages or I could use my left hand inside to be able to use the back and arrow button at the bottom which is kind of awkward for me right now. Or to go thru the menus and settings, I like swiping back and forth before but now since my thumb could not reach the edge of the screen, the only option I have is the double tapping the home button to reach the menu on top to go back to my previous menu. Is that the thing that would annoy you too?

So basically it looks like I'm losing a lot of one hand functionalities that I used to be able to do on the smaller iPhone and no longer able to with the iPhone 6+. Are the Android users with bigger phones the same thing when it comes to not being able to do most one hand function but are ok with it? And so are you ok with it because you're used to it or is it because the Android OS is different that the experience is a little bit better or different? Please advise. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I had a 5s initially, then switched to a note 3 so have some feelings about screen sizes.

I directly compared my Note 3 with the ip6+ (and the regular ip6) yesterday and while the ip6+ feels a tiny bit better in the hand, it also feels and looks like a larger phone, mainly due to the tallness and the huge bezels.

In terms of the screen I think android is more useful on the homescreen especially with widgets, although once you are in an app I don't think it makes much difference. I thought iOS on the ip6+ was well done and it filled the screen well. Another thing to consider is multitasking and multi windows, this can be a key use of a larger screen and something iOS can't do so it may factor into your thought process, or maybe not.

In terms of coming from a smaller phone you definitely lose a lot of one handed features. I wasn't too impressed with iOS one handed mode, I still needed 2 hands, it's just something you are going to have to get used to. My dream solution is to be like windows on a tablet, where you just swipe the screen and it goes through all your running apps kind of like alt-tab on a PC, and also windows tablets let you swipe your finger forwards and backwards in the web browser to navigate and a swipe from the top or bottom brings you to settings, navigation, address bar, favorites, etc. which is nice.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Love the 6+ in terms of look and feel, but to have a smaller screen on a bigger phone with a more restrictive ecosystem is not in my future. It has come cache though.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I had a chance to check out the IP6+ last night at a AT&T store. That is one very big phone! I have had the Note 3, OnePlus and LG G3. All big phones but the IP6+ is bigger than them all. It reminds me of the HTC One Max. The Max is 5.9 inches and they are almost the same size.

iANIPm5l.png

wSoYvfgl.png

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
... and also windows tablets let you swipe your finger forwards and backwards in the web browser to navigate and a swipe from the top or bottom brings you to settings, navigation, address bar, favorites, etc. which is nice.

The swipe for forward and back was added to Safari and other apps in iOS 7. You have to swipe from the edges for it to work. It is a very nice feature.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Every time I pick up the 6+ I get starry eyed.

I allegedly don't want a phablet, but I swear the 6+ keeps calling my name.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I love this feature. Tap to scroll all the way to the top of a page is the other one I like.

I really like the iOS navigation gestures. Just makes getting around easier one handed with intuitive actions. Tap to top is gold in my book.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I really like the iOS navigation gestures. Just makes getting around easier one handed with intuitive actions. Tap to top is gold in my book.

When you have read to the end of the book why do you want to flip back to the first page. Tap to go to bottom makes more sense.

And pressing the back button is infinitely faster and easier than doing the gesture especially if you want to go back several steps.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
And pressing the back button is infinitely faster and easier than doing the gesture especially if you want to go back several steps.

I see what you're saying and do like having a back button, but in reality, it is more intuitive to swipe back and forth.

If I'm on a web page looking up things and go 2 or 3 pages back then want to go forward again I have to keep hitting the menu and forward arrow. It would make more sense just to swipe.

Hopefully they work on that feature by at least making it an option.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
When you have read to the end of the book why do you want to flip back to the first page. Tap to go to bottom makes more sense.

I use tap to top in several apps. Tap to bottom would be a nice addition for sure.

Swiping gestures are nicer than the back button. It's something I really missed on the S5.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I think it's huge, comically huge and I'm not lying. It's taller than the note 3.

Damn near as big as the HTC one max smh.

Couldn't deal with it but it's much better than the 6 who have seems not much of a improvement over the 5s.

I need to upgrade to sprint spark phone, I have a HTC one m7 which is spark compatible but I see no point in the 6, if u got one it's for the book book 6 case when it comes out.

If it wasn't so tall I'd probably get it.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Played with it yesterday and compared it to my G3.

The 6+ is stupidly large compared to the G3. The designers should be sacked.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Then...

I used to point and laugh at phablet users, I did it for years, the worst of them were the galaxy users which had the flip down cases which made the phones look doubly long.

Now..

I have an iPhone 6+, and I love it. I have become one of them... a phablet user.. I'm not going to buy a fkin flip down case though, I draw the line at that one.

:p

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

tap to the top was more useful when you had to go to the top of a webpage to access the address bar. Now when you start scrolling to the top it appears.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Played with it yesterday and compared it to my G3.

The 6+ is stupidly large compared to the G3. The designers should be sacked.

Alright genius, how would you reduce the size without removing the Touch ID and maintaining design symmetry?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.