Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
fair enough, and there is my beef, I want to be able to sit down.

bear in mind the note 4 , g3, etc are too big as well IMO

Ya that's what I'm saying. I wouldn't be comfortable with any of those.

In my opinion, you make some decisions when you buy a phablet. I consciously accepted harder to use one-handed and likely not in my pocket as much.

I'm fine with it when compared to the extra display real estate I get.

----------

The only point I want to convey in my posts here is simply that the 6+ fits in with other phablets with the same display sizes. It may be taller or thinner or whatever, but it certainly doesn't dwarf any of them and is extremely comparable and surprisingly handle-able imo.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida

In my opinion, you make some decisions when you buy a phablet. I consciously accepted harder to use one-handed and likely not in my pocket as much.

----------

The only point I want to convey in my posts here is simply that the 6+ fits in with other phablets with the same display sizes. It may be taller or thinner or whatever, but it certainly doesn't dwarf any of them and is extremely comparable and surprisingly handle-able imo.

Aye I hear you, it is not really fair to criticize the size of the plus with respect to the notes & g3 imo. Sure, criticize the display size to physical size ratio, but that's a different ballgame.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
The G3 is the outlier here though.....

I'm not saying the 6+ is the most svelte phablet out there. Simply that the size difference is not all that huge when compared with most phablets out there.

And really, TouchID functionality makes it worth it. I'd rather have a few extra mm and TouchID, than no TouchID and less height.

But that's just me. Everyone is different.

----------

Yep, tradeoffs is really what it's all about with phablets. And we all prefer different specifics on this, like you're saying. Personally I will most likely end up going for the Note 4, but in no way would I say that the 6+ design is objectively flawed. I totally understand that having TouchID would be worth the extra few mm of length for you. And the fingerprint recognition is certainly something I wouldn't mind if Samsung could pull off as well as Apple has...

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Ip6+ is just too big of a phone for its screen size. It's bezel is not just big at the top but at the side as well compared to note4. Add another whammy for inferior specs and more expensive.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Height may be a bigger factor with regards to sticking out of your pocket - but as far as usability and handling go, width and thickness are more important.

Thinner and skinnier means less area for your hand to travel to grip the device.

FWIW, I don't like putting my 6+ in my pocket....its not comfortable. I wouldn't like a Note in there either. I bought the device knowing I would use it differently than I have other devices in the past. And it hasn't been a problem.

OT, what case--if any--do you use?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
For a product that is on the scarce side, I've noticed quite a few 6+'s at the gym in arm bands, and sticking out the backs of girls pockets.

I get the impression that's on purpose in some instances.

Doesn't much sway me. I'm sticking with the 6, but I may finally join the phablet world and take 6S+ for a spin next year in Space Gray with silicone case and glass screen protector...like my 6, just bigger.

Dunbar

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
I tend to agree that a few mm in height doesn't make a whole lot of difference since you're holding the phone by the sides. So even if Apple put a Samsung style rectangular home button on the 6 Plus I don't think it would make much of a difference in how it feels in the hand. The other thing about the 6 Plus is that it has a 16:9 display which makes the phone taller (but narrower.) I personally like the taller display on a phone where I'm using it in portrait mode 95% of the time. Here on the macrumors forums I can see almost as much text on my 6 Plus as I can on my 13" Macbook Air.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I personally use a horizontal belt holster case, so size doesn't matter to me unless it passes the limits of the case. I can never go back putting a daily driver into my pocket. I lost too many phones that way. Ever since I started using a holster case back in 2008 with my Nokia N82, I never lost a phone, had it slip out of my pocket, forget it at home, dropped it from my lap while getting out of a car, etc. Holster case is just much safer for me. Excellent conditioned and unstolen smartphone every time! Only issue is I have to always wear a belt. But when I carry two holster cases, it looks like I'm a cowboy with two guns. I'm carrying both phones as I type this. Adds more battery life when both are in use.

Actually the iPhone 6 would also be too tall to fit into some of my pockets as experienced from the HTC One M7 in similar height and width. It will stick out just a little too wearing shorts or tight fit pants.

For pocket use - 130mm height is my limit

For holster case - 148mm height is my limit

Width limit is 75mm or so.

So yeah, iPhone 6 Plus is too tall for my taste. Better shorten it like the LG G3.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Just saw a white 6+, dang this thing is fugly, the front reminds me of a Galaxy S3.
Maybe it looks better in black, looking forward to see one...

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I would like to ask the opinion of Android users here who has been using an android phones the same size as iPhone 6+ and who is also familiar with smaller iPhone 5 or 5s and the iOs environment on what they think of the functionalities of the bigger screen size on the iPhone now 6+? Did you like it? Is that something you can live with or would you prefer the smaller iPhone 6 even though you are used to bigger phones?

Most of the post here that are switching from iPhone 6+ to the smaller iPhone 6 has never had an android phones in their life and so I can understand their sentiment. I myself don't have any experience on bigger android phones and the android OS. And like others I myself is having second thought on my iPhone 6+ but I want to give it a chance and telling myself that if Android users can live with the bigger phones, why can't I?

The thing that irks me is the functionality that I feel like I used to do a lot before is now I'm losing because of the bigger iPhone. Just like the swiping my thumb from the edge of the screen and swiping across the screen to go back and/or forward thru the web browser pages or I could use my left hand inside to be able to use the back and arrow button at the bottom which is kind of awkward for me right now. Or to go thru the menus and settings, I like swiping back and forth before but now since my thumb could not reach the edge of the screen, the only option I have is the double tapping the home button to reach the menu on top to go back to my previous menu. Is that the thing that would annoy you too?

So basically it looks like I'm losing a lot of one hand functionalities that I used to be able to do on the smaller iPhone and no longer able to with the iPhone 6+. Are the Android users with bigger phones the same thing when it comes to not being able to do most one hand function but are ok with it? And so are you ok with it because you're used to it or is it because the Android OS is different that the experience is a little bit better or different? Please advise. Your opinion will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I had the iPhone 3-5S (5S is still there as my company phone) and for my personal phone I am had the Galaxy S3-4 and now the Note 3 so I am using both on daily basis ..

A colleague of mine got the 6+ now and I must admit - I don't mind the size. But what I DO mind is the fact that this is the only benefit - more rows of icons.

On the Note 3 you got the S-Pen. In addition to the great features it adds, the Note 3 itself has a nice palm detection. So you can write and rest your hand on the screen and it wouldn't course any problems with the writing or confuses your screen because you touch it in a funny way.

A lot of apps are obviously not optimized for the screensize of the IP6+ yet, but as with Android - this will come over time, so it wouldn't be fair to compare, considering how late Apple is to the game of large phones. With time I am sure there will be large phone optimized games / apps, similar to the ones you see on the iPad now.

I also noticed, when comparing my colleagues IP6+ with my Note 3, that the screen just pops a lot more on the Note 3 .. Maybe it is because of the way you can customize display profiles or not, but I never noticed the difference before.

I am not here to say one is better than the other, it is just my personal opinion and I am not trying to force to either Apple or Androind / Samsung people :)

I see quite a few threads where people asking "Now you got a bigger iPhone - will you go back to".

For me ? For my personal phone ? No .. Because it is not just the size that matters, but what you can do with it (see what I did there).

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
It's not a one handed device. Once you get past this and learn that 2 hand use is attainable, you'll be okay.

Pretty much what this guy or gal said.

For me the larger screen is not a problem because I almost never used my iP4 one handed.

If you NEED a one handed phone it will be too big for you and the larger screen Android phones will be pushing it also.

If you can learn to use the phone with two hands, you will eventually grow to love it I think.

----------

Just saw a white 6+, dang this thing is fugly, the front reminds me of a Galaxy S3.
Maybe it looks better in black, looking forward to see one...

It's funny that you should say that, I really miss my GS3 form factor especially compared to the S4... It was so nice and blue and pebbly feeling in my hand... sigh.

Fireblade

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Italy
Pretty much what this guy or gal said.

For me the larger screen is not a problem because I almost never used my iP4 one handed.

If you NEED a one handed phone it will be too big for you and the larger screen Android phones will be pushing it also.

If you can learn to use the phone with two hands, you will eventually grow to love it I think.

----------

It's funny that you should say that, I really miss my GS3 form factor especially compared to the S4... It was so nice and blue and pebbly feeling in my hand... sigh.
Had a GS3 myself for a year, and yes it was nice to hold, but I never liked it's design

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.