Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
So I finally retired my iPhone SE, it was failing me on a daily basis due to the extremely rough condition and body damage the old SE had.

So I walked in Walmart and bought a brand new iPhone 6S+ 32GB unlocked for $199.

My manufacturers date is June 2019, this is a retail sealed iPhone, that was just recently built. It is not a refurbished model.

Anyways, I really love this 6S+ it feels super premium in hand. It is fast, and just looks beautiful!

Anybody else running a 6S+ in mid 2019? I see no reason why it wouldn’t last several more years for me.

I freaking love this new phone. iPhones last a very long time, and I never buy the newest available. I can see my self getting a iPhone 8, or a X in a year or two.

Hard to believe this phone came out on 09-25-2015!

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
I don’t use a 6S but one of my friend’s Android phones crapped out and his missus wanted him to get an iPhone. However he’s stingy as heck so she asked around for advice to surprise him with a new handset.

A refurb 6S 64GB cost her £140 and it still runs the latest OS fine. People say a lot about the price of Apple products but the 6S is such a great phone and I genuinely can’t think of any other Android device at that price point which would give you more value for money.

As a plus: now when he messages me he’s no longer a green-bubble maggot, so I tend to answer him more often and hurl abuse at him less.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
I've had my iPhone 6s Plus since 2015. Unlike Macs, iPhones are well ahead of the competition when it comes to longevity and avoiding planned obsolescence, and Apple should be commended for allowing these older devices to run the latest version of iOS.

I've yet to upgrade to anything newer, partly due to the inflated price of the newest models.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
So I finally retired my iPhone SE, it was failing me on a daily basis due to the extremely rough condition and body damage the old SE had.

So I walked in Walmart and bought a brand new iPhone 6S+ 32GB unlocked for $199.

My manufacturers date is June 2019, this is a retail sealed iPhone, that was just recently built. It is not a refurbished model.

Anyways, I really love this 6S+ it feels super premium in hand. It is fast, and just looks beautiful!

Anybody else running a 6S+ in mid 2019? I see no reason why it wouldn’t last several more years for me.

I freaking love this new phone. iPhones last a very long time, and I never buy the newest available. I can see my self getting a iPhone 8, or a X in a year or two.

You are far better off with iPhone 7. iPhone 6S is in its last lag, it probably won’t get iOS 14. iPhone 7, however, it could easily last other 2 years or more.
[doublepost=1566236817][/doublepost]
I don’t use a 6S but one of my friend’s Android phones crapped out and his missus wanted him to get an iPhone. However he’s stingy as heck so she asked around for advice to surprise him with a new handset.

A refurb 6S 64GB cost her £140 and it still runs the latest OS fine. People say a lot about the price of Apple products but the 6S is such a great phone and I genuinely can’t think of any other Android device at that price point which would give you more value for money.

As a plus: now when he messages me he’s no longer a green-bubble maggot, so I tend to answer him more often and hurl abuse at him less.

I could get 250CAD (roughly 150 pounds) with 64GB storage, 128GB SD card, 6.1 inch 1080P display, dual camera on Android side. Which specification outshine iPhone 6S.

It runs good enough for day to day usage. Social media, watching video, playing games etc.

You aren’t looking hard enough.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
You are far better off with iPhone 7. iPhone 6S is in its last lag, it probably won’t get iOS 14. iPhone 7, however, it could easily last other 2 years or more.
We don't yet know if the iPhone 6s will get iOS 14. Few people were expecting the iPhone 5s to get iOS 12, yet it did, bringing it to a total of six years of OS support. That's a long support period for a smartphone, and it's definitely possible the iPhone 6s Plus will see a support period of the same length, especially as Apple is expecting some of these users on older devices will still provide revenue through service subscriptions.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
We don't yet know if the iPhone 6s will get iOS 14. Few people were expecting the iPhone 5s to get iOS 12, yet it did, bringing it to a total of six years of OS support. That's a long support period for a smartphone.

iOS 12 is exception. Even if iPhone gets iOS 14, iPhone 7 will still outlast iPhone 6S.

It is far better to get iPhone 7 than 6S at this stage.

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
iOS 12 is exception. Even if iPhone gets iOS 14, iPhone 7 will still outlast iPhone 6S.

It is far better to get iPhone 7 than 6S at this stage.
You're basing your claim on speculation. For all we know, the iPhone 6s / iPhone SE and iPhone 7 will be dropped at the same time, just as the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 were. And the iPad Air 2 has been given six years of OS support thanks to iOS 13, which could indicate that iOS 12 was the start of a new support strategy, not just a discrepancy.

Scotty2Hotty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2014
iPhone 6s Plus is (IMO) they best device Apple has ever made. It's my current daily driver - and I have a backup on standby at home. There are those that will say FaceID is better. Maybe "better" technologically speaking... but it is not the quantum leap forward that TouchID was over using a passcode.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
You're basing your claim on speculation. For all we know, the iPhone 6s / iPhone SE and iPhone 7 will be dropped at the same time, just as the iPhone 5s and iPhone 6 were. And the iPad Air 2 has been given six years of OS support thanks to iOS 13, which could indicate that iOS 12 was the start of a new support strategy, not just a discrepancy.

There is no possibility for iPhone 7 and iPhone 6S dropped at same time. You need to remember, the new iPod Touch which launched this year, shares identical hardware specification with iPhone 7. Also the iPad 6th generation also has similar specification as iPhone 7.

iPhone 5S is exception, because iOS 12 itself is exception. iPhone 6, launched with iOS 8, dropped with iOS 12, only gets 4 years updates. Which far less than your 6 years OS updates.

iPhone 6S only gets iOS 14, if iOS 14 happens to be one of iOS 12 types of release. Otherwise, it is in its last lag.

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014
I honestly don't understand why people seem to think *insert old iphone model here* was the best one. The best ones are the newest generation Xs/Max/Xr.

6s was great for its time. I've owned one since the launch but mine for 2019 (almost 2020) doesn't hold up that great. iOS 13 will surely help with making apps smaller and opening faster, but in general, I don't think it's worth it unless you're going to use it for social media and stuff only.

I also think if you need an older model, 7 is the minimum. 8 at least has the beast first-generation Bionic chip so it will last a lot.

Reactions: Azathoth123

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
There is no possibility for iPhone 7 and iPhone 6S dropped at same time. You need to remember, the new iPod Touch which launched this year, shares identical hardware specification with iPhone 7. Also the iPad 6th generation also has similar specification as iPhone 7.

iPhone 5S is exception, because iOS 12 itself is exception. iPhone 6, launched with iOS 8, dropped with iOS 12, only gets 4 years updates. Which far less than your 6 years OS updates.

iPhone 6S only gets iOS 14, if iOS 14 happens to be one of iOS 12 types of release. Otherwise, it is in its last lag.
I remain confident the iPhone 6s Plus will get iOS 14. The 2017 5th generation iPad has similar specifications, and dropping it in iOS 14 means less than four years of OS support. Apple will want to give it more under the new support strategy. (iPhone 6 gets five years, fall 2014 to fall 2019 when iOS 13 is released.)

You make a good point regarding the 2018 6th generation iPad. This could lead to the iPhone 7 getting iOS 15 while the 6s does not.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I could care less how long something gets updates for. I just like the phone everyone, it is very snappy, and it was a retail sealed brand new production 6S+. I am happy with it, I am not concerned about a iPhone 7 or 8 or anything newer any longer.. These devices cost a lot more money.

I studied eBay for weeks from a iPhone 7 to a iPhone XS. Galaxy S9+, and Galaxy S10+ 1TB “Ultimate performance edition”

I own a iPad Pro 11” 1TB unlocked, so I surely do not mind spending a little extra on a device.

At the end of the day, when I happen to be in Walmart for other reasons. I saw the device for $199.99 and bought it. I was ready to get a new phone right then and there, and end this long endeavor of eBay browsing, bidding, losing, shopping, searching endlessly nightmare lol.

I wanted a new clean device that just worked. I have yet to feel this 6S+ lag once. The phone just always runs smoothly, so I am 100% happy and left only impressed by this phone.

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
It still feels premium because it is a premium design.

The 6S is still a surprisingly acceptable phone for something that launched four years ago. I wouldn't want to still have one, though. But it's in part due to FOMO.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68020
Dec 11, 2009

Doesn't in store Walmart's only sell Straight Talk and Walmart Wireless prepaid iPhones?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I could care less how long something gets updates for. I just like the phone everyone, it is very snappy, and it was a retail sealed brand new production 6S+. I am happy with it, I am not concerned about a iPhone 7 or 8 or anything newer any longer.. These devices cost a lot more money.

I studied eBay for weeks from a iPhone 7 to a iPhone XS. Galaxy S9+, and Galaxy S10+ 1TB “Ultimate performance edition”

I own a iPad Pro 11” 1TB unlocked, so I surely do not mind spending a little extra on a device.

At the end of the day, when I happen to be in Walmart for other reasons. I saw the device for $199.99 and bought it. I was ready to get a new phone right then and there, and end this long endeavor of eBay browsing, bidding, losing, shopping, searching endlessly nightmare lol.

I wanted a new clean device that just worked. I have yet to feel this 6S+ lag once. The phone just always runs smoothly, so I am 100% happy and left only impressed by this phone.

If YOU are happy, that is all that matters. $199 is hard to beat!

Lyrical

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012

Surprised someone who owns an iPad Pro is willing to use such an old phone. You must not take many photos either, the camera has come a long long way.

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009

Congrats !!!

iOS 12 is pretty fast and, at least in my XR, iOS 13 is no slouch (I kind feel its faster). So you have 2 years of use in a pretty advanced OS at reasonable/fast performance.

I always hand my devices down to family and friends (occasionally) and they’ve always said the devices work great for 4-5 years. Battery usually needs to be upgraded after 3-4 years but yours is brand new.

For $199 you gotta a steal! In 2 years Apple will probably pay you $150 for you to upgrade to a iPhone 11/12 so your net cost will be less than $100 for a great phone.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
[doublepost=1566236817][/doublepost]

I could get 250CAD (roughly 150 pounds) with 64GB storage, 128GB SD card, 6.1 inch 1080P display, dual camera on Android side. Which specification outshine iPhone 6S.

It runs good enough for day to day usage. Social media, watching video, playing games etc.

You aren’t looking hard enough.

Why would you 1. recommend he stay away from an iPhone model on the basis that it won't get future software updates, and 2. Suggest he consider a modest-middling Android model? Most people don't update Androids; especially people who are not bleeding-edge and buy the kind of models you're suggesting. Seems a bit inconsistent.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I personally use a 7 plus, but both of my parents have a 6s and they both love them. That phone is what the 6 should've been.

Reactions: Elitegate

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
Congrats on your new phone. I loved my 6s that i had for 3 years. I just wished i would have bought the Plus instead. But for 199$ the 6s Plus is an amazing deal, especially because it's in new condition. However i don't believe that your phone was manufactured in June 2019. Apple stopped production of all 6s and 6s Plus models in September 2018. Apple doesn't include the 6s in their current line up. I guess it's just an unit that was never opened and never activated.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Why would you 1. recommend he stay away from an iPhone model on the basis that it won't get future software updates, and 2. Suggest he consider a modest-middling Android model? Most people don't update Androids; especially people who are not bleeding-edge and buy the kind of models you're suggesting. Seems a bit inconsistent.

1. When compare between two different iPhone models, then you obviously wants to recommend phone on the basis of future software update.

2. When you compare with Android and iOS, it is different. First of all, you can only get older generation of iPhone for such low price. You wouldn’t able to find a 149 pounds of iPhone 8. So if your budget is 149 pounds, you can only choose between iPhone 6S and some similarity priced Android. When you are buying iPhone 6S, you are most likely will not get any future updates. Even if Apple decides include iPhone 6S in iOS 14 updates, you would only get one update at most. So for you, pervious software update is irrelevant to you. What matter to you is future update. Considering most Android phone makers will push at least one Android software update, then it is pretty good comparison. For example: when I brought my Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 this year, it ship with the most current Android Pie. According to Xiaomi, the Redmi will only receive 1 Android version update, 3 years security patches and 4 year of MIUI version update. If I spend some amount of money for iPhone 6S, I would most likely only get iOS 14 update. So one software version update for both. Secondly: Android update works differently with iOS. Android version are not relevant anymore, since Google can push security patches through Google Play Services, Android Core Applications also updated with Google Play Services.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
Congrats on your new purchase, 6S is a great phone still for what they cost, even better when sealed.

I recently replaced my 32GB SE with a 128GB SE that was brand new and sealed, nothing wrong with “older” iPhones because they work so well. Even after they are dropped from updates, the device will still last for years afterwards if it’s looked after, takes a good while for apps to stop working etc.

My SE is just as snappy as my XR.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
1. When compare between two different iPhone models, then you obviously wants to recommend phone on the basis of future software update.

2. When you compare with Android and iOS, it is different. First of all, you can only get older generation of iPhone for such low price. You wouldn’t able to find a 149 pounds of iPhone 8. So if your budget is 149 pounds, you can only choose between iPhone 6S and some similarity priced Android. When you are buying iPhone 6S, you are most likely will not get any future updates. Even if Apple decides include iPhone 6S in iOS 14 updates, you would only get one update at most. So for you, pervious software update is irrelevant to you. What matter to you is future update. Considering most Android phone makers will push at least one Android software update, then it is pretty good comparison. For example: when I brought my Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 this year, it ship with the most current Android Pie. According to Xiaomi, the Redmi will only receive 1 Android version update, 3 years security patches and 4 year of MIUI version update. If I spend some amount of money for iPhone 6S, I would most likely only get iOS 14 update. So one software version update for both. Secondly: Android update works differently with iOS. Android version are not relevant anymore, since Google can push security patches through Google Play Services, Android Core Applications also updated with Google Play Services.

iOS 13 hasn’t even come out yet, which is supported on the 6S. If it gets iOS 14 (more chance as it’s got 2GB RAM) which won’t be released until September 2020 and will be supported all the way through to 2021 that’s a long time.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Ok so, I just bought a NEW OEM REPLACEMENT iPhone 7 128GB jetblack on ebay for $226.00. I just saw the auction last minute, and I bid with a few seconds left and just won the auction! The phone is NEW and unused, it was a replacement sent from Apple to the seller. The seller never used the phone, and they upgraded instead.

I am going to return my iPhone 6S+ to Walmart. I love this 6S+, but you guys have convinced me that the 7 is much better. And I would like to have the 128GB of storage space too.

So, with tax my iPhone 6S+ was $212.. This 128GB unused iPhone 7 was $227.56.

I think I am making the right move here. Only downside is, I am going to have a smaller screen.. But the tradeoff is more storage and better performance in the color I really want!

Smart move yes?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.