Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tonybarnaby

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2017
I have a brand new 6s plus 128 gb in plastic unused with accessories with ios 9.3.3 Turned it on once and activated it to see the ios version that's it. Will probably sell it on ebay one of these days. they fetch a lot when the os is 9 i really wonder why.
For the jail break

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
There is no possibility for iPhone 7 and iPhone 6S dropped at same time. You need to remember, the new iPod Touch which launched this year, shares identical hardware specification with iPhone 7. Also the iPad 6th generation also has similar specification as iPhone 7.

iPhone 5S is exception, because iOS 12 itself is exception. iPhone 6, launched with iOS 8, dropped with iOS 12, only gets 4 years updates. Which far less than your 6 years OS updates.

iPhone 6S only gets iOS 14, if iOS 14 happens to be one of iOS 12 types of release. Otherwise, it is in its last lag.
You’re making many assumptions here and they may all be false. The 6S and the 7 are really very similar, exact same form factor and virtually same screen, same amount of RAM, an incremental processor bump sure but not a big deal; in fact the 7 is most notable for what it lacks over the 6S in deleting the headphone jack.

There’s no guarantee that the 7 will be updated for any longer than the 6S. RAM seems to be the deciding factor for support being dropped and both models have the same. The A9 in the 6S was also used in the later SE and the 2017 iPad (both popular models) so there’s every chance that Apple will support it not just in iOS 14 but later versions too.

I’m willing to bet the next cut in iOS support will either be around RAM or form factor - ie dropping pre X models - most likely ending support for the 6S, 7 and 8 at the same time, some years from now.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Probably a mistake on my part but I ordered a new in box 6s last weekend. Would have delivered today if I had been home.

But it is for a backup line, not my main phone. So I'm OK with it not getting another 3 years worth of upgrades. No guarantee that it will get iOS 14 :)

The last big changes were when iOS 7? came out, with the flat view, and when it became only 64 bit. So there will likely be app support for a few years.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I received my new iPhone 7 yesterday, it was indeed brand new. It was a AT&T model. And I requested a unlock right through AT&T’s website unlock portal. The phone was unlocked within 5 minutes, and my SIM card worked perfectly in the phone.

I am so familiar with a SE, that the 6S+ was really to damn big. So this iPhone 7 is more my speed. I can run certain games with better performance. Like PUBG and ARK. So I am much happier! Not to mention, my storage is 4 times larger.

Reactions: Wide opeN

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Before I saw this topic I impulsed ordered a "new" 6s last week. Just picked it up at the airport today.

Looks clean, and looked like original packaging. Seems a little odd to me that it showed 58 minutes of usage. So I wonder whether it was one someone bought, then returned during a return period.

I started it first with an ATT SIM from my iPad, then put in a Red Pocket Tmobile SIM, which also worked, so it is unlocked.

I feel better having a spare phone and a backup line on a different carrier than my main iPhone X.

Reactions: Sweet Pikake

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I play ARK survival evolved, and in the 6S+ I was forced to run LOW graphic settings in the game.

On the iPhone 7 I can run high settings

Reactions: Wide opeN

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
No, not in my opinion. I'd rather have a plus than a regular.

You must understand, I had a tiny 4” iPhone SE for like 3 years. So, the iPhone 7 is larger than what I’m used to. Moving from just the 6S+, I gained 128GB, stereo speakers, and it is practically 100% waterproof, much better GPU performance in gaming, and a faster processor. I am sure I’m missing a lot of features the 7 offers over the 6S+

I just think the 7 is a sleeker design, not to mention it is black. Which is super cool. The iPhone 7 is the minimum requirement for a lot of intense games on the App Store anyways.

It was $14 dollars more expensive than a iPhone 6S+

peglegjack

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I've had an iPhone 6s with 128GB since day 1, and I'm most definitely going to hold onto it until at least next fall, though I'm not optimistic about it getting iOS 14.

The phone is still super fast and performs generally well, I have tons of storage, and I love the headphone jack (I use Oppo PM3 headphones with it). The headphone jack seals it for me right now honestly. My wife has issues using wired headphones with her iPhone 8 unless the wire doesn't have microphone settings, so I figure when the time comes I'll either try to find a converter that actually works or buy a wire without mic settings.

Reactions: tps3443

applecomet007

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2018
New York, NY
I still have my iPhone 6s Plus. I run iOS 13 beta on it. It's still a great device and gives a tough competition to the latest iPhones. I'm looking to keep it until an iPhone with 5G is released.

So I finally retired my iPhone SE, it was failing me on a daily basis due to the extremely rough condition and body damage the old SE had.

So I walked in Walmart and bought a brand new iPhone 6S+ 32GB unlocked for $199.

My manufacturers date is June 2019, this is a retail sealed iPhone, that was just recently built. It is not a refurbished model.

Anyways, I really love this 6S+ it feels super premium in hand. It is fast, and just looks beautiful!

Anybody else running a 6S+ in mid 2019? I see no reason why it wouldn’t last several more years for me.

I freaking love this new phone. iPhones last a very long time, and I never buy the newest available. I can see my self getting a iPhone 8, or a X in a year or two.

Hard to believe this phone came out on 09-25-2015!

Reactions: tps3443

aFlockaCgulz

Suspended
Aug 21, 2019
I agree with those who suggested the 7 would be a better handset.

I would pick it over the 6s just for the solid state Home button. I’ve had Home buttons break on me before so the solid state button means one less thing to worry about.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
I agree with those who suggested the 7 would be a better handset.

I would pick it over the 6s just for the solid state Home button. I’ve had Home buttons break on me before so the solid state button means one less thing to worry about.

I had no idea the button was solid state before getting my iPhone 7. Quick learning curve, and the coolest design ever! I love this iPhone 7. I feel like it easily stands the test of time against newer phones. I am very happy with it, and I think it was $226 well spent for a brand new iPhone 7 128GB.

vit_don

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2017
So I finally retired my iPhone SE, it was failing me on a daily basis due to the extremely rough condition and body damage the old SE had.

So I walked in Walmart and bought a brand new iPhone 6S+ 32GB unlocked for $199.

My manufacturers date is June 2019, this is a retail sealed iPhone, that was just recently built. It is not a refurbished model.

Anyways, I really love this 6S+ it feels super premium in hand. It is fast, and just looks beautiful!

Anybody else running a 6S+ in mid 2019? I see no reason why it wouldn’t last several more years for me.

I freaking love this new phone. iPhones last a very long time, and I never buy the newest available. I can see my self getting a iPhone 8, or a X in a year or two.

[doublepost=1567649808][/doublepost]I’ve got my 64gb 6s+ in September of 2015. Still using it and it’s perfect.

digthewell

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
I had no idea the button was solid state before getting my iPhone 7. Quick learning curve, and the coolest design ever! I love this iPhone 7. I feel like it easily stands the test of time against newer phones. I am very happy with it, and I think it was $226 well spent for a brand new iPhone 7 128GB.
That's a great price. If I may ask, where did you get it from?

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018

Wow!!
Great Deal.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
i just got mom an iphone 8 for free from att

It’s not really free. You’ve got a steep bill attached to it for some years. Probably 20-30 months.

I bought one too for my wife.

AT&T is really the best though. So absolutely nothing wrong with doing this. I bought (2) iPhone 8 models through them last week.

Oh and, the iPhone 8 is a beast! Great device, I love the wireless charging.

Reactions: Elitegate

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
Lol the 6 to 6S it was probably the smallest upgrade between any 2 iphones, with the possible exception of X to XS

The 6 to 6S was probably the largest jump in S model history.

They doubled the ram, added 3D Touch, strengthened the aluminum body to 7000 series and fixed the bending issue. 1GB of ram is bare minimum for iOS these days with only a iPhone 6.. The 6S has 2GB of ram and a GPU that is 90% faster, you get a 12MP camera vs 8MP. And a 5MP front camera vs. only 1.2MP. You also get 4K video recording options. So 6S will stretch you a lot further especially with 2GB of ram.

I think the 6S was easily the best S model ever released.

Hell, my iPhone 8 is practically a iPhone XR performance wise. Both 3GB of ram, and the A12 is like 8% faster than the A11.

The gap from 6 to 6S is very large. (2) totally different phones.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.