Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
This is an issue that's actually been happening for me since the 5S. But notice more, and happens more frequently since getting the 6S. Intermittently, overnight, my phone would reboot on it's own. I know this because whenever I go into my phone for the first time the next day, I have to re-enter my code manually (I have finger print recognition on). I have seen my phone reboot on it's own during the day, but that's only happened twice with this new phone. The rest have been overnight. At least 5 times since upgrading to the 6S. Can't recall how many times on my 5S.

I finally came across a tip in my search to what may be causing this. The tip suggests I go to Settings -> Privacy -> Diagnostics & Usage -> Diagnostic & Usage Data to see activities in or around the time I suspected it to reboot on it's own. And to look for something that pops up consistently. Turns out, what I see 8 in a row (3 of which has the dates I recall my phone rebooting on it's own overnight), is CoreTime-2016-xx-xx-xxxxxx.ips.synced (eg. CoreTime-2016-03-30-200234.ips.synced. This one happened last night).

What is the "CoreTime ips synced" thing? What is it's purpose? Is it required? How do I prevent it from coming up/rebooting my phone? I'm absolutely certain that updating my iOS will not fix this issue. Why? Because I've updated my phone twice already, and reset it twice since purchasing it in January, and since day one of purchasing it, the random reboots were already happening. I'm thinking it's not the phone, but the iOS. Like I said, this has been happening since my 5S running iOS 8. This CoreTime is the most obvious suspect. Another potential one, but doesn't show up as much, is JetsamEven-2016-xx-xx-xxxxxx.ips.

Reactions: grgsiocl

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Are you using night shift?

Every time I use it, my phone reboots every night as well.

I haven't updated to 9.3 yet. And because this has been an on going thing since my 5S running iOS 8, I'm absolutely certain, updating to 9.3 will not fix it. I've also heard people having issues after updating to 9.3, which is why I'm not jumping on it just yet.

minimo3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2010
It's a "feature". My 5s and now 6s reboot about once a week or so in the middle of the night. I believe it started with iOS 9.0. No change with 9.3.1. In fact mine just rebooted last night. Pretty troublesome since our Corp policy requires us to change a long passcode every 3 months. I couldn't remember my latest one that I changed a week ago.

dyt1983

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2014
USA USA USA
edit: to remove possibly personally identifying information no longer relevant to the thread.

Last edited:

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Are you being sarcastic? Because after the phone reboots until I sign in, it no longer connects to my WiFi with all that entails... no WiFi calling, no backing up, no syncing, no text message forwarding, no phone calls on my Mac... etc. Disabling a bunch of features doesn't sound like a good "feature".
na bro its a feature. apple is known for that. like the bending feature in iphone 6 that every1 thought was a design fault? the phone was just adjusting to your pocket, thats all

features, bro

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
It's a "feature". My 5s and now 6s reboot about once a week or so in the middle of the night. I believe it started with iOS 9.0. No change with 9.3.1. In fact mine just rebooted last night. Pretty troublesome since our Corp policy requires us to change a long passcode every 3 months. I couldn't remember my latest one that I changed a week ago.

Lol. It's a "feature" that only benefits Apple, for whatever they need it for. "Privacy"? As long as it's only Apple accessing your phone without your permission I guess. This has been going on for me since 5S running iOS 8.x.x.
[doublepost=1460401059][/doublepost]
na bro its a feature. apple is known for that. like the bending feature in iphone 6 that every1 thought was a design fault? the phone was just adjusting to your pocket, thats all

features, bro

Lol. Now I know you're being sarcastic. Bendgate is not a "feature". It was a flaw in the design of the iPhone 6. Apple used lighter, less sturdy material for the casing. It didn't happen to all iPhone 6, but enough for it to be a concern. So much of a concern, that Apple changed the material used for the case with a stronger aluminum alloy for the 6S.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Are you being sarcastic? Because after the phone reboots until I sign in, it no longer connects to my WiFi with all that entails... no WiFi calling, no backing up, no syncing, no text message forwarding, no phone calls on my Mac... etc. Disabling a bunch of features doesn't sound like a good "feature".

Sounds like the problem isn't that the iPhone does random reboots but is that the iPhone does not reconnect to the previously connected WiFi when it reboots without entering pin first. Supposedly it is because the data, like WiFi login info, on the iPhone is still encrypted.

But Apple already has your wifi login info in icloud backups, so why not send that info over mobile data connection so it can connect to wifi. Apple already sends secure info like email over mobile data connection while the iphone is locked, why not wifi passwords. It just works?

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Found the cause of mine. Having too many browser tabs open. It was mentioned in the diag.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
I've got a 6s on 9.0.2 that is jail broken and it reboots on its own probably 5 nights a week. I don't have iCloud backup turned on and it seems to happen most when plugged in and charging. I've kind of given up trying to figure it out as I guessed it had something to do with the jailbreak.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
I've got a 6s on 9.0.2 that is jail broken and it reboots on its own probably 5 nights a week. I don't have iCloud backup turned on and it seems to happen most when plugged in and charging. I've kind of given up trying to figure it out as I guessed it had something to do with the jailbreak.

I am not jailbroken.

wakinghour

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2012
Restore your iPhone as new, then restore from backup on iTunes. Do not restore from iCloud, because there is a known bug with iCloud backups over the air.

This sounds totally ridiculous, but it's what Apple told me and it worked.

tvbi

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2004
Mine used to restart randomly at night before I turn off iCloud backup. Haven't restart since.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Restore your iPhone as new, then restore from backup on iTunes. Do not restore from iCloud, because there is a known bug with iCloud backups over the air.

This sounds totally ridiculous, but it's what Apple told me and it worked.

lol. I love how companies tell people different things. I talked to Apple Care, and went to a Genius Bar, and they told me that this is "normal". iOS automatically does a reboot when memory is running low. Which they do find odd for me, because I always quit every app before I plug-in to charge for the night. There may also be one or two apps that are causing "memory crashes" (hence the reboots). It doesn't happen all the time, but seems to be pretty consistent with every 3-4 weeks it will reboot at once or twice. They also told me I should reboot my phone every couple of weeks. To purge memory and cache. It is after all, a computer, in your hand. So it's susceptible to all issues any other computer runs into. But then again, Apple has always been reliable for me, until the last few years. Now it feeling more and more like Windows to me.

I also don't believe your tip will help. I've done the reset and restore as new enough times (more pain, doesn't fix anything), and I don't use iCloud on my iPhone. So no iCloud backups or syncing. Except for Contacts. Trust me, I've tried every tips and troubleshooting. Both from Apple, and forums. In my experience, it's the iOS and the hardware not working as they should. And there will always be bad batches of phones. They will work, but not as well as they should. My personal take, I think it's all the bloat ware and bells and whistles that are messing things up. Something is giving to have all of it. Apple and the iPhone have a history of this.

My phone runs fine otherwise. So I'm just living with it. Apple. Better the devil I know. lol

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Intermittently, overnight, my phone would reboot on it's own. I know this because whenever I go into my phone for the first time the next day, I have to re-enter my code manually (I have finger print recognition on)

This seems relevant:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ew-passcode-requirement-for-touch-id.1973297/

The new rule requires a user to enter a passcode when an iPhone or iPad has met two conditions: the device has not been unlocked via a passcode for six days and has not been unlocked with Touch ID for the past eight hours.

I thought the same thing as you at first (that my phone was rebooting overnight, cause the same thing was happening with my phone, but not as often), but I figured out that open apps weren't being purged from memory the next day. They were exactly as I left them the night before (a reboot would purge them). So then I thought it might have just been the springboard reloading, but today we found out that Apple added this in iOS9.

TLDR: Since iOS9 it turns out if the phone hasn't been unlocked in 8 hours, it'll force you to use your passcode.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This seems relevant:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...ew-passcode-requirement-for-touch-id.1973297/

I thought the same thing as you at first (that my phone was rebooting overnight, cause the same thing was happening with my phone, but not as often), but I figured out that open apps weren't being purged from memory the next day. They were exactly as I left them the night before (a reboot would purge them). So then I thought it might have just been the springboard reloading, but today we found out that Apple added this in iOS9.

TLDR: Since iOS9 it turns out if the phone hasn't been unlocked in 8 hours, it'll force you to use your passcode.
It's not just 8 hours, it's if it hasn't been unlocked in 8 hours after at least 6 days have passed since the passcode was used to unlock the phone. So at most this would apply about once a week. The messaging is for this is also different and doesn't mention it being needed because the device was restarted (while it mentions restart in the case that the device was actually restarted).

Sleaka J

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
It's not just 8 hours, it's if it hasn't been unlocked in 8 hours after at least 6 days have passed since the passcode was used to unlock the phone. So at most this would apply about once a week. The messaging is for this is also different and doesn't mention it being needed because the device was restarted (while it mentions restart in the case that the device was actually restarted).

Oh, that makes sense. That sounds more like what I've been experiencing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.