Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
It's not just 8 hours, it's if it hasn't been unlocked in 8 hours after at least 6 days have passed since the passcode was used to unlock the phone. So at most this would apply about once a week. The messaging is for this is also different and doesn't mention it being needed because the device was restarted (while it mentions restart in the case that the device was actually restarted).
Most days I put my devices on the stand about 11 and off again about 6 but on the weekends I go longer and have to unlock with a passcode to start the day.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This applies any time you have not used touch ID for more than 8 hours. Most days I put my devices on the stand about 11 and off again about 6 but on the weekends I go longer and have to unlock with a passcode to start the day.
Right, right, just blatantly ignore the clearly spelled out 6 day part of it all.

Reactions: dk001

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Right, right, just blatantly ignore the clearly spelled out 6 day part of it all.
Why? I agree with you and was adding my experience. I only see this on weekends unless I have done something during the week to trigger the need to use my passcode. In a typical 6 day span I will not need to use anything but my print so on the weekends when I let my devices sit longer I hit the window that asks for the passcode. I originally thought it was a restart but later found that not to be the case.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Why? I agree with you and was adding my experience. I only see this on weekends unless I have done something during the week to trigger the need to use my passcode. In a typical 6 day span I will not need to use anything but my print so on the weekends when I let my devices sit longer I hit the window that asks for the passcode. I originally thought it was a restart but later found that not to be the case.
Well then the first sentence where you mentioned that "This applies any time you have not used TouchID for more than 8 hours." wouldn't be correct as it's not any time or really even close to it and is just about once a week.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Well then the first sentence where you mentioned that "This applies any time you have not used TouchID for more than 8 hours." wouldn't be correct as it's not any time or really even close to it and is just about once a week.
Fixed

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Oh, that makes sense. That sounds more like what I've been experiencing.
C DM and Sleaka J: This makes sense. But it's not what happens with me. Mine seems random. There's nights were I sleep for more than 8 hours, and no restart. Could be a memory issue. When I went to the Genius Bar, I had a tech look at my phone. And he couldn't really figure it out either. But he did mention that when the phone runs out of memory, or memory doesn't free up when you quit apps, at some point the phone will restart itself to free up ram. Which makes sense as well. But considering (I mentioned this to him too) I always quit all my apps before turning in for the night, this doesn't apply either.

Personally, and this is my belief based on years of experience with issues with the iPhone, is that it's an iOS working with hardware issue. For certain things, they just don't talk with each other properly. Apple has concentrated more on glitz and glam, than actual real life functionality. I'm pretty sure, in their heads it's, "Well, we'd have to lose this (better functionality) to get this (more glitz). Let's give more glitz, maybe they won't notice it the other thing." lol

It could also apply to my other issue that my iPhones have been doing since the 4S. Updates are automatically downloaded to my phone. I have had iTunes set up to NOT download automatically. But seems iTunes and iPhone don't like talking to each other as well. From what I'm told, and have read, it should not be downloaded automatically. It should just give you a notice to download AND install. Most people I've talked to, including Apple Care, Genius Bar, Forums, friends, they say it doesn't download the update. But it gives them a notice to download and update. They find it odd that it automatically downloads for me. Just this morning, I got a notification for the 9.3.2 update. But it didn't say download and install. It just said install. I have to keep deleting these updates from my phone. And they just keep coming back. Guaranteed, in about a week or two, Apple will send another reminder, and download the update to my phone again, without my permission. As I've mentioned before, if Apple can do this without us knowing or giving permission, they can pretty much do anything to our phones the same way.

Apple has become a pain in the ass for me over the last few years, since Cook took over. But it's the least pain in the ass that I'm able to choose. So I guess I'm SOL. And the primary use of my phone is it's camera. It's the best one for me among other mobiles. Once Android comes out with a mobile with a much better camera than the iPhone, I'll most likely switch. My loyalty has it's limits. ;-)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
C DM and Sleaka J: This makes sense. But it's not what happens with me. Mine seems random. There's nights were I sleep for more than 8 hours, and no restart. Could be a memory issue. When I went to the Genius Bar, I had a tech look at my phone. And he couldn't really figure it out either. But he did mention that when the phone runs out of memory, or memory doesn't free up when you quit apps, at some point the phone will restart itself to free up ram. Which makes sense as well. But considering (I mentioned this to him too) I always quit all my apps before turning in for the night, this doesn't apply either.

Personally, and this is my belief based on years of experience with issues with the iPhone, is that it's an iOS working with hardware issue. For certain things, they just don't talk with each other properly. Apple has concentrated more on glitz and glam, than actual real life functionality. I'm pretty sure, in their heads it's, "Well, we'd have to lose this (better functionality) to get this (more glitz). Let's give more glitz, maybe they won't notice it the other thing." lol

It could also apply to my other issue that my iPhones have been doing since the 4S. Updates are automatically downloaded to my phone. I have had iTunes set up to NOT download automatically. But seems iTunes and iPhone don't like talking to each other as well. From what I'm told, and have read, it should not be downloaded automatically. It should just give you a notice to download AND install. Most people I've talked to, including Apple Care, Genius Bar, Forums, friends, they say it doesn't download the update. But it gives them a notice to download and update. They find it odd that it automatically downloads for me. Just this morning, I got a notification for the 9.3.2 update. But it didn't say download and install. It just said install. I have to keep deleting these updates from my phone. And they just keep coming back. Guaranteed, in about a week or two, Apple will send another reminder, and download the update to my phone again, without my permission. As I've mentioned before, if Apple can do this without us knowing or giving permission, they can pretty much do anything to our phones the same way.

Apple has become a pain in the ass for me over the last few years, since Cook took over. But it's the least pain in the ass that I'm able to choose. So I guess I'm SOL. And the primary use of my phone is it's camera. It's the best one for me among other mobiles. Once Android comes out with a mobile with a much better camera than the iPhone, I'll most likely switch. My loyalty has it's limits. ;-)
Just to address one of the initial things brought up: as mentioned earlier, it doesn't just apply when the phone hasn't been unlocked for 8 or more hours, it's when the passcode hasn't been used for at least 6 days AND the phone hasn't been unlocked in the past 8 or more hours. It makes it somewhat harder to track and less predictable for most as we don't really keep track how many days ago we last used the passcode, in addition to when it has been more than 8 hours that the device hasn't been unlocked. Plus there are other cases of the device not being unlocked for 48 or more hours, or the device restarting (even on its own due to a crash or something else like that).

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Just to address one of the initial things brought up: as mentioned earlier, it doesn't just apply when the phone hasn't been unlocked for 8 or more hours, it's when the passcode hasn't been used for at least 6 days AND the phone hasn't been unlocked in the past 8 or more hours. It makes it somewhat harder to track and less predictable for most as we don't really keep track how many days ago we last used the passcode, in addition to when it has been more than 8 hours that the device hasn't been unlocked. Plus there are other cases of the device not being unlocked for 48 or more hours, or the device restarting (even on its own due to a crash or something else like that).
I understand that. But none of those apply to me. If it were, "...when the passcode hasn't been used for at least 6 days AND the phone hasn't been unlocked in the past 8 or more hours." Keyword "AND", then this shouldn't be happening at all. Because even if I don't use my password for more than 6 days, there's days in between that I do unlock my phone prior to 8 hours. I sleep an average of 6-7 hours a night. Some nights, especially weekends, I wake up when I wake up (no alarm clock), and that's usually about 8-9 hours. Even then, my phone doesn't reboot during these times. I wish it was that simple. Then these explanations would make complete sense. But for me, these explanations don't apply. Until there's a definitive explanation, the only thing I can think of is that my phone reboots on it's own for no reason, because something is wrong with the hardware, or the software, or both. Whether that's the case or not, Apple will never release any info until they choose to. If they ever choose to fix long standing problems that have existed for people for years.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I understand that. But none of those apply to me. If it were, "...when the passcode hasn't been used for at least 6 days AND the phone hasn't been unlocked in the past 8 or more hours." Keyword "AND", then this shouldn't be happening at all. Because even if I don't use my password for more than 6 days, there's days in between that I do unlock my phone prior to 8 hours. I sleep an average of 6-7 hours a night. Some nights, especially weekends, I wake up when I wake up (no alarm clock), and that's usually about 8-9 hours. Even then, my phone doesn't reboot during these times. I wish it was that simple. Then these explanations would make complete sense. But for me, these explanations don't apply. Until there's a definitive explanation, the only thing I can think of is that my phone reboots on it's own for no reason, because something is wrong with the hardware, or the software, or both. Whether that's the case or not, Apple will never release any info until they choose to. If they ever choose to fix long standing problems that have existed for people for years.
All that is aside from the phone rebooting, which is a separate thing essentially. It something that can happen here and there, but under normal circumstances it shouldn't be something that happens more often than just once in a while basically.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
All that is aside from the phone rebooting, which is a separate thing essentially. It something that can happen here and there, but under normal circumstances it shouldn't be something that happens more often than just once in a while basically.
Agreed. Which is why I find my issue(s) quite annoying. Because it is beyond the "once in a while". It's a frequent thing. I know for a fact that within the next couple of weeks or so, my phone will reboot on it's own. I've even seen it reboot during the day right in front of me. And been happening for a few years. Mostly since my 5S. And now my 6S. Resetting and installing everything from scratch does not work. Done it 4 times in the past, and it's not something I'm will too entertain again. Considering it has never worked, and it's an absolute huge inconvenience to do. But hey, better the devil I know, right? lol

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Agreed. Which is why I find my issue(s) quite annoying. Because it is beyond the "once in a while". It's a frequent thing. I know for a fact that within the next couple of weeks or so, my phone will reboot on it's own. I've even seen it reboot during the day right in front of me. And been happening for a few years. Mostly since my 5S. And now my 6S. Resetting and installing everything from scratch does not work. Done it 4 times in the past, and it's not something I'm will too entertain again. Considering it has never worked, and it's an absolute huge inconvenience to do. But hey, better the devil I know, right? lol
Well, once in a period of a few weeks isn't too bad. That's not to say it's just perfect, but it's likely within the more or less typical spectrum of how often something like that generally happens.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 4, 2005
Well, once in a period of a few weeks isn't too bad. That's not to say it's just perfect, but it's likely within the more or less typical spectrum of how often something like that generally happens.
I'd like to think that as a positive thing. But considering others never have these issues, is what irks me. And when they do, it's not every couple of weeks. It's more like every few months. That I can accept. Not several times in one month. Just tells me that there is something wrong. That this is not a normal occurrence. For a $1000+ phone, I'd expect a lot less issues, and more times it working as it should.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'd like to think that as a positive thing. But considering others never have these issues, is what irks me. And when they do, it's not every couple of weeks. It's more like every few months. That I can accept. Not several times in one month. Just tells me that there is something wrong. That this is not a normal occurrence. For a $1000+ phone, I'd expect a lot less issues, and more times it working as it should.
I think there are people that just might notice things at times and it might very well be happening somewhat more often than they think, and there's also a spectrum to it as well most likely, with some being more in the range of a some weeks, and others a month or two or so. Ultimately it's a computer, and despite computers being around for decades now, even those have crashes and restarts here and there nonetheless. Again, that's certainly not saying that things can't be better in various respects, just that some of these things (as long as they essentially don't really deviate too much from a less typical range) are not unusual or unexpected, even if undesired.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
I'm pretty sure I experience a springboard crash every few days. On both my iPhone and iPad. I'm reasonable certain of the frequency because it resets battery statistics, and I basically lose stats at least once a charge cycle on my iPad.

I mean it's not *that* much of an imposition, but it is surprisingly frequent, and sucks because I've never really been able to get a gauge how my iPad battery is performing because the stats get lost half way through every single time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.