Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TohMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
Somewhere in the Universe
We own 2 iPhone 7s and are shopping around now for new data plans but wondering how much longer the 7 will have support. I am not sure if i want to commit to another 2 years with this model. Any insight would be helpful. T.I.A.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
We own 2 iPhone 7s and are shopping around now for new data plans but wondering how much longer the 7 will have support. I am not sure if i want to commit to another 2 years with this model. Any insight would be helpful. T.I.A.

It will be two more years at minimum. This year with iOS 13 and next year with iOS 14. If Apple does not plan major feature update with iOS 14 (much like iOS 12), then I will say iPhone 7 could get iOS 15. That will be 5 software updates.

I think iPhone 7 will stop either at iOS 14 or iOS 15, depends on Apple.

Reactions: TohMac

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Anyone is merely guessing, but at least two more years of iOS support, which would place the iPhone 7 at iOS 15 at the very most. (With iOS 14 being the least.)

12vElectronics

macrumors 68040
Jul 19, 2013
California
Even if it's still supported, why would you still want to use an iPhone 7? I'm still rocking my 7+ but itching bad for a new iPhone. We are missing out on a ton of new tech in newer iPhones.

TohMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
We are now retired so at home more often. I have iMacs, laptops, iPads so the phone isnt really used that much by either of us any longer so beyond quick phone calls and text, thats about all its being used for these days.

Gone are the days I needed to have the latest.

We have 2 unlimited data plans but are lucky if we use 2 1/2 gb each month per phone.

rdy0329

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2012
We are now retired so at home more often. I have iMacs, laptops, iPads so the phone isnt really used that much by either of us any longer so beyond quick phone calls and text, thats about all its being used for these days.

We have 2 unlimited data plans but are lucky if we use 2 1/2 gb each month per phone.

The 7 is capable, 2 more years at the least is a safe bet, get a no-contract plan so you can get lower monthly fees.

TohMac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 2, 2019
The 7 is capable, 2 more years at the least is a safe bet, get a no-contract plan so you can get lower monthly fees.

Havent had a contract plan in about a decade and buy our phones outright.
Had been looking at a contract 2 year deal at a rare but amazing price that gave a recent great new iPhone in with the deal.
Why I was wondering the life of these two 7s but hearing about 2 years, I decided to stay with the still more expensive plan for now for a few other reasons.

Tend to agree with the above poster, that the new phones arent really all that different in day to day usage, at least in our case.

Thanks to everyone that answered allowing me to make a better educated guess, choosing to stick and stay at the moment.

oVerboost

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2013
United Kingdom
iPhone 7 is still a great phone. I’d argue the newest phones aren’t really that much different in day to day usage.

The 7 will continue to be supported for a good while yet. It’s a solid device with strong specification.

I’m still using an SE and with iOS 13 and it’s great, and that’s a year older (of sorts).

Don’t worry about the 7 being phased pit anytime soon.

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
I have a 6S. Even if iOS13 is the last one, it's fine. Sure, I'll be reading these forums wishing I had all those new cool iOS14 features (like, umm, extra dark mode? Exciting new Mail bugs?) but I'll survive.

I hardly use it apart from as a FaceTime and iMessage backup while my phone is upgrading, as it's very slow, but my 1st gen iPad mini runs iOS9 and still boots and works ok.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
iPhone 7 is still an excellent phone, rock-solid, Qualcomm modem/radio. Reliable, able to find signal just about anywhere, and well worth the price.

The 7 was/is a great phone.

Last all metal back, capacitive home button, great chip and camera.

It’s a keeper that’s still got legs.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Even if it's still supported, why would you still want to use an iPhone 7? I'm still rocking my 7+ but itching bad for a new iPhone. We are missing out on a ton of new tech in newer iPhones.

Its still a very capable phone. Guess it will phase out when the iPad 6 phases out too.

LovingTeddy

Suspended
Oct 12, 2015
Canada
Its still a very capable phone. Guess it will phase out when the iPad 6 phases out too.

Speaking of which. The new iPod Touch as same specifications has iPhone 7. I guess, iPhone 7 would be support for a while. If new iPod Touch gets the updates, there is no reason iPhone 7 does not. Guess we are set for other 3-4 years of iOS updates.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
iPhone 7plus is a good solid device!
Ip67 ,solid state home button with fingerprint reader ,good camera system ,A10 chip , stereo speakers etc. Apple is still selling the iPhone 7 so im sure it will be supported for many years to come. Heck the iPhone 5s which came out in 2013 with ios 7 will get ios 13 that’s 6 years...
You don’t have to worry your good for a long time.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I wouldn't call an older iPhone model capable of running a newer version of iOS "support". Hundreds of millions of iPhones became unbearable to use in the past due to slowdowns and battery drain because they were "upgraded" to a newer version of iOS. I'd hardly call that support.
Historically, iOS upgrades have been the number one "killer" of iPhones since the beginning. Maybe "killer" is too strong a word, but "crippler" certainly isn't.

The "support" you're interested in is parts availability in the future, and after 5 years, everything Aplle makes becomes officially obsolete. But they've priced all their repairs out the roof anyway, so it rarely makes economic sense to repair an older model iPhone.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
as the 6s gets iOS13 the 7 probably ios14. so you should be safe for 2 more years.
but even if it won't get ios15 it doesn't mean it will stop working;-)

+1 to the “doesn’t mean it will stop working” comment.

Can you believe I just spotted a blue 5C in the wild today? An older gentleman riding his bike (complete with helmet on) stopped into a McDonald’s and was using a 5C! It was so cool to see, lol. Made me remember how much I liked that particular model.

Reactions: Elitegate

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

Can you believe I just spotted a blue 5C in the wild today? An older gentleman riding his bike (complete with helmet on) stopped into a McDonald’s and was using a 5C! It was so cool to see, lol. Made me remember how much I liked that particular model.
:) i always liked the design but never had on as the 5s at the time wasn’t so much more expensive.
Just 2 weeks ago i checked out a white 5c in a 2nd hand electronics shop they sold for 90€. But it was so unbelievable slow that i couldn’t stand it:(

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015

I'm using a white 5c (not as my main iPhone, but I use it when I'm not at home), and I really like it. It's running iOS 9 and works... Okay. It's not fast, but it's not unbearably slow either. Battery life is surprisingly decent, at around 5-6 hours of usage.
It's really comfortable to use and carry, as well. I have seen at least 10 in the last few months, in the wild.

Last edited:

user_xyz

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2018

^^ Same here ^^

digthewell

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2018
I was using the 6S until recently, would you recommend upgrading to the 7 or 8? I'd def end up saving some money buying the 7.

I wouldn't call an older iPhone model capable of running a newer version of iOS "support". Hundreds of millions of iPhones became unbearable to use in the past due to slowdowns and battery drain because they were "upgraded" to a newer version of iOS. I'd hardly call that support.
Historically, iOS upgrades have been the number one "killer" of iPhones since the beginning. Maybe "killer" is too strong a word, but "crippler" certainly isn't.

The "support" you're interested in is parts availability in the future, and after 5 years, everything Aplle makes becomes officially obsolete. But they've priced all their repairs out the roof anyway, so it rarely makes economic sense to repair an older model iPhone.
Planned obsolescence. My iPhone 6 is dragging ever since the iOS 12 upgrade. It is a pain to use and the battery drains out within no time

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010
I was using the 6S until recently, would you recommend upgrading to the 7 or 8? I'd def end up saving some money buying the 7.

Planned obsolescence. My iPhone 6 is dragging ever since the iOS 12 upgrade. It is a pain to use and the battery drains out within no time
If, buy a refurbished 8 after Sept 10. The 7 imo isn’t offering much improvement. Actually negligible in speed and camera quality

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014

Have you ever considered that your slow performance and poor battery life is down to the BATTERY itself. If you haven't replaced it, that battery is coming on 5 years old. Batteries DO wear out and the performance will suffer as a result. This isn't something limited to Apple products and it's not something that Apple has magically solved either, it's a limitation of the current battery tech.

Reactions: JPack

Brittany Kathleen Canales

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2020
I have an iPhone 7 I got in January 2019 it’s still a pretty fast and great iPhone I think iOS 14 or 15 is the last iOS update it’s going to get it’s probably a rumor though I’m not sure how long it will get updated for we will have to see what Apple says

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.