Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
Buying a 7 now is equivalent of buying a cassette tape to listen to music. IMO

m0sher

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2018
How so? iPhone 7 is still running the latest version of iOS, and it supports all the latest formats, including HE-AAC and HEVC video recording.

Hand gestures and Face ID take your phone to an enhanced user experience. iPhone 7 home button FIngerID UI is year old.

That was my comparison and opinion. Once you use an X or above, the older style interaction feels very outdated. Hence my Cassette tape reference, you can still listen to music, it’s just a different interface.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Hand gestures and Face ID take your phone to an enhanced user experience. iPhone 7 home button FIngerID UI is year old.

That was my comparison and opinion. Once you use an X or above, the older style interaction feels very outdated. Hence my Cassette tape reference, you can still listen to music, it’s just a different interface.
Well, I'd say that analogy is inaccurate.
Cassette tape is literally obsolete. The interface of the iPhone 7, is not. Apple still supports it in the non iPad Pros, iPod Touch, and the upcoming iPhone 9. It's just a different way. So it's not even "outdated."

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
From readings, it seems the latest version of iOS 13 is not really cooperating very well with the iPhone 7/A10 fusion. Now, any instability can easily remedied with other updates, but it seems to be showing at signs of trouble with stability with third party apps/crashes with Safari, but then again, I’d say that’s probably specific to which app somebody is using or what site venue is causing the crashes.

saber32au

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2019
but then again, I’d say that’s probably specific to which app somebody is using or what site venue is causing the crashes.

That would be my guess as well.

My iPhone 7 (it's my work phone) has been great on iOS 13. No stability issues to speak of.

Hand gestures and Face ID take your phone to an enhanced user experience.

For me, that's not the case, but completely understand your preference.

Hence my Cassette tape reference, you can still listen to music, it’s just a different interface.

That's very true. Though like the cassette tape, they both work to this day!

My guess (referring to the OP): the iPhone 7 will be usable for at least 2 years (with at least 1 iOS update, if not 2. Believe it or not, you can use an iPhone that's not running the latest version of iOS).

Usable is the key term here: What I define to be as "usable" will differ from others. For me, if you're looking for a phone that makes calls, texts, browses the web, takes photos, video recorded etc, and you're not anal about having taking the best photos, having the fastest web browser, rendering photos the quickest, the ability to play all games (if you play them) at the highest detail setting etc etc then the iP7 is fine. If your needs are greater (ie if taking the best photos you can on your phone, or rendering photos the quickest, or you wish to use faceid and the swipe interface) than you're best served by replacing your phone and getting something newer.

bosozoku

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2018
Tokyo
iPhone 7 is ok now, not great but ok. Photo quality is what really sucks, comparing to iPhone X+

alexxk

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2010
At least another 2 years.

I still have an iPhone 7 bought on launch. Battery sucks and the lightning port is is not working properly. It won’t hold the charging cable and it keeps disconnecting. Other than that a great phone and still very fast.

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
I'm hoping for it to get support till iOS 15. I know that's unlikely since Apple dropped both the 5s and 6 from iOS 13, and I feel they'd drop the 6s and 7 from iOS 15 at the same time. But hey, maybe I'm wrong, and I'm hoping I am.

Reactions: Falhófnir

LoveRock

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2013
I still use a 5S. It does everything i need. Including accessing and using a remote Filemaker database. But talking with my current carrier, Verizon, I was told that they will be changing their network tech and CDMA phones will no longer function. Anyone know if this is true?? I’m planning of dumping them as they are way too expensive for the small amount of talk/data I use monthly.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I still use a 5S. It does everything i need. Including accessing and using a remote Filemaker database. But talking with my current carrier, Verizon, I was told that they will be changing their network tech and CDMA phones will no longer function. Anyone know if this is true?? I’m planning of dumping them as they are way too expensive for the small amount of talk/data I use monthly.
Yep. Original cut off was December 31, 2019 and it was delayed to December 31, 2020.

The 5s has LTE data but uses CDMA for voice. Once Verizon cuts off the CDMA network, only devices that support VoLTE will be able to make phone calls.

Flappy Dunk

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
Apple supports iPhone's for 5 years after they are announced. The iPhone 7 was announced in September 2016 with iOS 10. iOS 10 is one year of iPhone 7 support. It is in its 4th year of support with iOS 13. It will get iOS 14, but not iOS 15.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Apple supports iPhone's for 5 years after they are announced. The iPhone 7 was announced in September 2016 with iOS 10. iOS 10 is one year of iPhone 7 support. It is in its 4th year of support with iOS 13. It will get iOS 14, but not iOS 15.
This one's not so cut and dry. Apple will provide firmware updates as long as they feel the device performance can handle it (usually below what I consider acceptable performance).

Also, Apple just released a new iPod touch with an underclocked Apple A10 (performs around A9, I think) as well as the new basic iPad with A10 so that bodes well for iPhone 7 longevity.

iPhone 2G: 2-3 years?
iPhone 3G: 3 years
iPhone 4: 4 years
iPhone 5s: 6 years
iPhone 6S/6S Plus: 5 years, currently supported, rumored to get iOS 14

Apple cut off support on iOS 13 based on RAM. We'll see if they do something similar with 2GB devices.

Last edited:
Reactions: Falhófnir

Flappy Dunk

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2020
This one's not so cut and dry. Apple will provide firmware updates as long as they feel the device performance can handle it (usually below what I consider acceptable performance).

Also, Apple just released a new iPod touch with an underclocked Apple A10 (performs around A9, I think) as well as the new basic iPad with A10 so that bodes well for iPhone 7 longevity.

iPhone 2G: 2-3 years?
iPhone 3G: 3 years
iPhone 4: 4 years
iPhone 5s: 6 years
iPhone 6S/6S Plus: 5 years, currently supported, rumored to get iOS 14

Apple cut off support on iOS 13 based on RAM. We'll see if they do something similar with 2GB devices.
2G got 3 years

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.