Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Intro

When Apple released iPhone 7, I was just off University and starting my career. I was also saving for down payment for my house (proud home owner now). $1000 CAD is too much for me, so I carried my iPhone 6 for few extra year until iPhone XR comes along.

I have always wanted the Jet Black version. Finally, in 2021, I picked up an 128GB Jet Black iPhone for little over 100CAD. And it is in perfect condition.

How is iPhone 7 in 2021? Well, let us find out.

Design

Some people say iPhone 7 is iPhone 6sss. Apple continued with same design language with iPhone 7 (and with iPhone SE 2). Design wise, there weren't anything ground break.

But, Apple surprised everyone with its Black and Jet Black. Apple finally able to achieve what they wanted to do with iPhone 5. Anyone remember iPhone 5's scuff gate? The Black iPhone 7 is pure black, pure beautiful.

However, the Jet Black iPhone 7 really shines. From far, you would think Jet Black iPhone 7 is made out of glass. The glossy finish continue to the front glass. It hide the antenna line perfectly. Apple truly achieve the unibody design. It feel like a piece of artwork, rather than a consumer smartphone.

The Headphone Jack

The removal of 3.5mm headphone jack was highly debated back then. To this day, I am still not happy with removal of 3.5mm headphone jack. Luckily, some of newer Android phone, like Pixel 4A or Motorola One Ace 5G still includes one and I used these phone with my headphone from time to time. As time goes by, I learned to cope with lack of 3.5mm headphone jack. I have lightning EarPod at home, in my car, in my office drawer. I also carries with AirPod. So although I am still upset with removal of headphone jack, but I have learned to live with it. Maybe someday in the future, headphone jack will be forever gone.

In 2021, most of us, especially iPhone users, have already learnt to adopt. But if you really want to connect your wired headphone, you do have option elsewhere.

Performance

iPhone 7 is first iPhone with semi-quad core processor. The reason that I say semi-quad core is, unlike most processor, A10 processor only able to activate either two high performance cores or two efficiency cores. So essentially, A10 is Apple's first entry to Big.Little design.

Apple claimed more than 40% more performance on high performance core and consume 20% less energy for efficiency core. However, most of gain comes from high clock speed compared with Apple's A9 processor. Overall, A10 isn't a huge upgrade over A9 processor.

For what iPhone 7 is being used now, A10 is perfectly capable. Most of us have moved past 4.7 inch screen for gaming or 4K video consumption, because these tasks are better suited for phone with larger screen. However, if you carry iPhone 7 as your primary devices, you should adjust your expectation when you gaming with iPhone 7. It isn't such pleasure experience.

iOS 15 runs very well on iPhone 7. Most applications opens quickly and operate very well. For lighter apps, you can't even tell the difference between iPhone 7 and iPhone 12. For your day to day task, such as browsing internet, instant massaging, phone calls, using banking apps, Apple Pay etc. iPhone 7 handles very well. You can't really tell it is almost 5 years old phone. I don't think any Android phone this old would be anywhere near iPhone 7.

Battery Life

Up until iPhone XR, iPhone has tiny battery inside. iPhone 7 is no exception. The 1960mAh battery is tiny compare with some Android counterpart. iPhone 7 never had good battery life when it was new, with aging battery, battery life suffers even more.

In fact, the matte black iPhone 7 that I purchased (along side with Jet Black iPhone 7, yes I was on mission to collect every single color) has 61% battery health, and it will shut off with merely 30 minutes. Luckily, with some skill and 20 dollars, I put new battery in.

If you are heavy user, you might looking for charger by after noon. I have never able to use iPhone 7 (also iPhone SE 2) full day. One hours of Fortnite chewed 20% battery and one hours of video recording chewed other 30%.

So if you are a road warrior, you should really avoid iPhone 7 (or iPhone SE 2 for that matters) and consider iPhone XR or any Pro Max phone. But if you are light users, iPhone 7 might be sufficient enough for you, just remember to carry a battery bank with you when you go out for a day.

Camera

Believe or not, iPhone 7 can take some really good pictures at good light condition. But it suffers badly at dark. Photos comes out dark and flat. There is no hope for pitch black room. Lack of night mode, like iPhone 11 or Pixel 3A, really made iPhone 7 not suitable for night life.

If you are only need camera for taking some family photos, snap a short video, take picture of some books or scan QR code, then iPhone 7's camera is more than enough. If you need more, you are better served with newer phones.

Conclusion

Overall, iPhone 7 is a really good entry level phone, especially in Canada. iPhone SE 2 sells for well over 600 Canadian after tax. So all the sudden, 100 dollars iPhone 7 128GB sounds like a good deal. Even if you factoring cost of new battery at Apple Store, you are looking at a phone under 200 dollars. You aren't able to find any better deal than this.

iPhone 7 is perfectly capable for almost all everyday tasks, with exception of newer gaming titles or heavy video editing. It is perfect entry phone to Apple's ecosystem.

iPhone 7 will be supported at least for other 2 years. With iOS 15 still support iPhone 6S, iPhone 7 would get iOS 16 for sure. If history tells us something, iPhone 7 might also gets iOS 17. So if we are lucky, you might able to get 3 years of software support.

Someone say, it is expensive to get into Apple's ecosystem. It is true if you buy everything new. But if you looking at used market, you are able to save tons of money. iPhone 7, Apple Watch 3, iPad 8th generation, Apple TV 4K, 2015 MacBook Air.

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
100 CAD = £57. That is a very good deal (in fact its a steal!) for a Jet black iphone 7 128Gb, in perfect condition, in my opinion. Like you said it is a good entry point into ios, and will function exactly like an 8 /SE2 albeit without wireless charging.

My colleague at work has the same jet black ip7, and it does look stunning. His battery needs changing though, and has the battery service warning in settings. Ive told him to just pay the £50, get a new battery and the phone will work like new again.

Last edited:

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
100 CAD = £57. That is a very good deal for a Jet black iphone 7 128Gb, in perfect condition, in my opinion. Like you said it is a good entry point into ios, and will function exactly like an 8 /SE2 albeit without wireless charging.

My colleague at work has the same jet black ip7, and it does look stunning. His battery needs changing though, and has the battery service warning in settings. Ive told him to just pay the £50, get a new battery and the phone will work like new again.

Exactly. For $100, it is very good phone for the price. I was browsing Walmart few days ago, some prepaid Android phone cost more than $100 and they are pretty crappy phones.

This plus with some cheap prepaid plan, is way better deal than anything new Android.

Reactions: snipr125

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Interestingly I popped into my carrier and they're discounting the iPhone 7 to what will amount to $100 (including taxes) over 24 months.

But they also had the 6s for $0/mth so effectively 'free' to lock you into their plan.
With taxes it'll come out to $50 over 24 months.

I realize it's only a $50 difference, but should I go 6s or 7 (currently on a 6)?
I need something to tie me over till iPhone 13 and as a backup phone.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Work have given me an iPhone 7 as a work phone and I'm surprised how well it runs in 2021. I run a XS as my personal daily driver and I don't feel like I'm taking a step back with the 7 (which is saying something huge). What I will say is the screen size and therefore keyboard is a difficult transition.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Interestingly I popped into my carrier and they're discounting the iPhone 7 to what will amount to $100 (including taxes) over 24 months.

But they also had the 6s for $0/mth so effectively 'free' to lock you into their plan.
With taxes it'll come out to $50 over 24 months.

I realize it's only a $50 difference, but should I go 6s or 7 (currently on a 6)?
I need something to tie me over till iPhone 13 and as a backup phone.

Will you be buying the 13 on launch or soon after? If so, isn't it worth just waiting? If you looking for a backup phone then I'd pay the 50 extra and get the 7, it'll be more future proof than the 6S.

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Will you be buying the 13 on launch or soon after? If so, isn't it worth just waiting? If you looking for a backup phone then I'd pay the 50 extra and get the 7, it'll be more future proof than the 6S.

That's the plan...of course if features are negligible, and there's a deep discount on the 12 mini, I'll do that.

I'm really trying to wait. But, while new phones are just 2 months away, every day I'm just scraping by on this 6.

Do you really think the 7 will be more future proof given they both have 2gb or RAM? I would think both the 6s and 7 would be shut out of iOS 16.

Reactions: Apple$

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
That's the plan...of course if features are negligible, and there's a deep discount on the 12 mini, I'll do that.

I'm really trying to wait. But, while new phones are just 2 months away, every day I'm just scraping by on this 6.

Do you really think the 7 will be more future proof given they both have 2gb or RAM? I would think both the 6s and 7 would be shut out of iOS 16.

Yes. iPhone 6S is on its way out next year. For software support perspective, iPhone 7 will have at least one more year than iPhone 7. However, if we are lucky enough, iOS 17 could also supported.

If 50 dollars is not a big deal to you. I would say iPhone 7 is no brainer.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021

Well to be frank, nobody but Apple knows what devices they'll support and how. But if the next jump (whether it's 16 or 17) is to 3gb minimum support for iOS, then that rules out the 8 too... I can't see them shutting out the 6s, 7, and the 8 all in one go.

If the 6 you have is on it's last legs then I'd go ahead and upgrade to the 7 now for $100 and then sell it, or as you say, keep it as a backup device. If you can make it last two months then I would wait. That jump from 6 to 13 (12S?), or even a 12 discounted, will be super satisfying!

All this to say I don't really understand the American mobile phone contract system (assuming that's where you're based, apologies if not). Would you be signing up to a 24 month contract for the 7 and then ANOTHER 24 month contract for the new iPhone in September?

Reactions: satchmo

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Well to be frank, nobody but Apple knows what devices they'll support and how. But if the next jump (whether it's 16 or 17) is to 3gb minimum support for iOS, then that rules out the 8 too... I can't see them shutting out the 6s, 7, and the 8 all in one go.

If the 6 you have is on it's last legs then I'd go ahead and upgrade to the 7 now for $100 and then sell it, or as you say, keep it as a backup device. If you can make it last two months then I would wait. That jump from 6 to 13 (12S?), or even a 12 discounted, will be super satisfying!

All this to say I don't really understand the American mobile phone contract system (assuming that's where you're based, apologies if not). Would you be signing up to a 24 month contract for the 7 and then ANOTHER 24 month contract for the new iPhone in September?

I don’t know how American system works, but in Canada, I assume it will be the same as American one.

The carrier will discount the phone and you pay the discounted price for 24 installment. For example, if the iPhone 7 is really 100 dollar outright from the carrier, then you pay 100/24 every month.

You can pay off your phone anytime, sometimes the carrier will also give device credit when you sign up for their plan (this is to reduce our outright cost). You will need pay that as well.

For example: iPhone SE 2 for 599CAD. When I sign up my two year contract, I get 250 dollar device credit. This reduce device cost to 349. So I essentially pay 349/24 if I stay with the carrier for 2 years. If at any point before 24 month, I decided to leave, I will have to pay off whatever remaining device cost plus pro-rated device credit. So as I am in my 14th month, I would pay (599/12)*10 plus tax.

I hope this help you understand

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020

This won’t work.

Currently, iPhone 7, iPhone 8 has 2GB RAM. But iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus has 3GB of RAM.

iPad Pro 9.7 inch along with every regular iPad before iPad 8th have 2GB.

iPod Touch 7th generation also have 2GB RAM.

So if Apple decide 3GB RAM is the minimum, it means iPhone 7, iPhone 8 being cut while iPhone 7 Plus and iPhone 8 Plus remain. iPad Pro 9.7 and all regular iPad before 8th generation will be cut.

And iPod Touch will not be supported. And Apple would discontinued iPod Touch all together.

I don’t believe this many devices are in chopping block. Apple never cut this many devices for one iOS update cycle.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I don’t know how American system works, but in Canada, I assume it will be the same as American one.

The carrier will discount the phone and you pay the discounted price for 24 installment. For example, if the iPhone 7 is really 100 dollar outright from the carrier, then you pay 100/24 every month.

You can pay off your phone anytime, sometimes the carrier will also give device credit when you sign up for their plan (this is to reduce our outright cost). You will need pay that as well.

For example: iPhone SE 2 for 599CAD. When I sign up my two year contract, I get 250 dollar device credit. This reduce device cost to 349. So I essentially pay 349/24 if I stay with the carrier for 2 years. If at any point before 24 month, I decided to leave, I will have to pay off whatever remaining device cost plus pro-rated device credit. So as I am in my 14th month, I would pay (599/12)*10 plus tax.

I hope this help you understand
That's a really helpful explanation! Thank you so much, @Aoligei. So does that 2 year contract require you having to sign up to a 2 year network plan too? So taking your SE 2 as an example, you're paying $15(ish) per month for the phone and then an additional amount per month for minutes/texts/data (the former two I assume are unlimited everywhere now?).

In the U.K. we have a few different phone ownership methods:
  1. Buy phone directly from a store for full cost and partner this with a sim-only deal (the minutes/texts/data) from a network of your choosing - often the cheapest but initially expensive way
  2. Sign up to a (usually) 2 year contract with a network that includes the price for both the phone and the network plan. Often these deals require an upfront payment of some amount. At the end of the 2 years you upgrade to your next phone or keep your current phone and move over to a sim-only deal. - most common method
  3. Some networks have begun doing a hybrid of the above (which to me seems like what the system is in America and Canada - you sign-up to a flex contract which separates the payment for the phone (the cost is always full price and never subsidised like it is in America+Canada) and network plan. You can pay off the phone at anytime and therefore lower your monthly cost - you're still tied down for the remainder of the network plan, however! But you can now upgrade to another phone or just enjoy the lower monthly payments! - some networks do this but its not really taken off over here

ray6088

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2013
I loved iPhone 7 but two of my iPhone 7 audio chips failed for me and Apple refused to fix them for free.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
That's a really helpful explanation! Thank you so much, @Aoligei. So does that 2 year contract require you having to sign up to a 2 year network plan too? So taking your SE 2 as an example, you're paying $15(ish) per month for the phone and then an additional amount per month for minutes/texts/data (the former two I assume are unlimited everywhere now?).

In the U.K. we have a few different phone ownership methods:
  1. Buy phone directly from a store for full cost and partner this with a sim-only deal (the minutes/texts/data) from a network of your choosing - often the cheapest but initially expensive way
  2. Sign up to a (usually) 2 year contract with a network that includes the price for both the phone and the network plan. Often these deals require an upfront payment of some amount. At the end of the 2 years you upgrade to your next phone or keep your current phone and move over to a sim-only deal. - most common method
  3. Some networks have begun doing a hybrid of the above (which to me seems like what the system is in America and Canada - you sign-up to a flex contract which separates the payment for the phone (the cost is always full price and never subsidised like it is in America+Canada) and network plan. You can pay off the phone at anytime and therefore lower your monthly cost - you're still tied down for the remainder of the network plan, however! But you can now upgrade to another phone or just enjoy the lower monthly payments! - some networks do this but its not really taken off over here

Yes. You are also paying for phone plan. For example: my plan is 45 dollars per month with 10GB data. That really means I am paying 45 monthly cost plus 15 device cost.

Now, because the carrier give me $250 dollars in device credit, it makes sense for me to sign up for 2 year contract. Could I purchase the phone outright? Yes. But why?

In Canada at least, sometimes carrier will over charge device cost. In this cause, purchasing phone from manufacturers makes sense. For example: Telus sells iPhone 12 Pro Max for 1595CAD while Apple is selling for 1549. If there aren’t any discount, then it makes sense to go with Apple.

However, Telus only charges you 46.88 per month for 24 months. This works out as 1125.12 for 24 payment. You save 470. But you are required to stay for 24 month. But at same time, your monthly plan starts at 80 dollars a month. So essentially you are spending 126 dollar a month. If you are able to afford new phone directly from Apple and able to get cheaper plan, you could save tons of money.

Reactions: Saladin12

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
It’s aged very well. I’ve been using an iPhone 7 for the last month or so since losing my 12. Tbh there really isn’t much difference in day to day use other than the terrible battery life. It’s amazing that the phones nearly 5 years old. Compare that to what the 4S was like at the same age, almost unusable

MyPhone99

macrumors regular
May 26, 2019
if one is satisfied with iphone 7 now , then even 6s can be a good buy for them for more cheaper price. in Day to day activities 6s is no where lesser to that of a 7.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Yes. You are also paying for phone plan. For example: my plan is 45 dollars per month with 10GB data. That really means I am paying 45 monthly cost plus 15 device cost.

Now, because the carrier give me $250 dollars in device credit, it makes sense for me to sign up for 2 year contract. Could I purchase the phone outright? Yes. But why?

In Canada at least, sometimes carrier will over charge device cost. In this cause, purchasing phone from manufacturers makes sense. For example: Telus sells iPhone 12 Pro Max for 1595CAD while Apple is selling for 1549. If there aren’t any discount, then it makes sense to go with Apple.

However, Telus only charges you 46.88 per month for 24 months. This works out as 1125.12 for 24 payment. You save 470. But you are required to stay for 24 month. But at same time, your monthly plan starts at 80 dollars a month. So essentially you are spending 126 dollar a month. If you are able to afford new phone directly from Apple and able to get cheaper plan, you could save tons of money.
I got you now - 45 dollars for 10gb of data seems expensive considering I pay £18 for 50gb data per month. Interesting how things differ country to country!

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I got you now - 45 dollars for 10gb of data seems expensive considering I pay £18 for 50gb data per month. Interesting how things differ country to country!

Well. This is what you get for oligopoly, with three major carriers dominating 90% of market share and no meaningful competition and no MVNO are allowed.

Canada is a wonderful place to stay, but Canadian pay highest cellphone bills in the world

• Love
Reactions: Apple$

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
Well. This is what you get for oligopoly, with three major carriers dominating 90% of market share and no meaningful competition and no MVNO are allowed.

Canada is a wonderful place to stay, but Canadian pay highest cellphone bills in the world
Woah, no MVNOs allowed!? That's... crazy. We have more MVNOs than I can count here. We have 4 major carriers - O2, EE (merger of T-mobile + Orange), Vodafone, and Three. You also have the big player MVNOs like Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, and Sky Mobile. Then it's all the smaller MVNOs.

I have to say it does seem like we have some good deals here in comparison - I promise not to moan about prices on here, haha! (I may break this promise... lol)

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Woah, no MVNOs allowed!? That's... crazy. We have more MVNOs than I can count here. We have 4 major carriers - O2, EE (merger of T-mobile + Orange), Vodafone, and Three. You also have the big player MVNOs like Virgin Mobile, BT Mobile, and Sky Mobile. Then it's all the smaller MVNOs.

I have to say it does seem like we have some good deals here in comparison - I promise not to moan about prices on here, haha! (I may break this promise... lol)

Technically, we do have MVNO. But almost all MVNOs are under the top three carriers. Bell Canada controls Virgin Mobile and Lucky Mobile, Rogers controls Fido and Chatr, Telus controls Koodo and Public Mobile.

Almost all three carriers have same plans, same fee (yes, you need pay 50 dollars to sign up for their plan).

CRTC just made ruling that in only established carriers, including big three and regional carriers are able to establish MVNOs.

We don’t have competition, we only have imaginary competitions.

CC91UK

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2018
Norwich, UK
My main birthday present this year will be a refurbished jet black 128GB iPhone 7!

This will be my first iPhone although I have used iPod touches for several years. Not bothered about having all the latest features. Apparently touch ID is a bit outdated now, but for me it'll be a new feature! :D

SalisburySam

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
Still love my iPhone7, now in year 3 of ownership so no warranty nor AppleCare left to rely on. Battery isn't terrific, certainly, but I do get through a day most of the time. No gaming, no videos, but then I use my iPad or iMac for videos or watch them on my AppleTV4K (1st gen) on the TV. iPhone7 has really done well for me. Since iPhones are getting bigger and bigger, I MIGHT be looking at an iPhone12 mini sometime next or the following year as the iPhone7 and its battery deteriorate. Or I might just change the battery.

While I mourn the loss of the headphone jack from previous models, I think I'm going to really grieve over the loss of TouchID/Home button. A bit ironic with new Apple keyboards for their iMac now including the "New, Improved" TouchID button, something I've wanted since my 2008 MBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.