Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
I completely agree. I brought a used 2017 iPhone 7, 128GB for about $200 (phones are more expensive here) to replace my midrange 2018 Samsung Galaxy J8. It's an amazing improvement:
- Able to drag and drop files between the phone and computer easily
- Extremely fast compared to the newer Samsung
- Screen is easy to read, and the phone fits in my hand

The only disadvantages are:
- I wish the phone was smaller. I had a Samsung Galaxy Young 2, with a 3.5" screen, and I think that's the perfect screen size. But progress...
- I brought it because they are still being sold new, as an iPod Touch, and generally Apple pushes down updates for about 3 years after the product is no longer being sold. But I don't think Apple's going to push down anymore updates for the iPhone 7 (or 8).

Reactions: snipr125

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
iPhone 7 is still my daily driver and got one when they first came out. Replace the battery a little while ago.

Like the design (but not the headphone change). Does what I need and just “like it” and desire to use it until it dies.

Before had a 5S and loved it too. Perfect design in my book. :)

though the newer offerings are nice, I prefer the iPhone 7.

Reactions: robotica

se95dah

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2014
I’ve had my iPhone 7 since launch day and am delighted that it still performs so well. I’ve been telling myself 5 years is enough and that maybe I should treat myself to a replacement in September but I can easily see myself deciding to wait another year.

Reactions: suburbia and loby

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I’ve had my iPhone 7 since launch day and am delighted that it still performs so well. I’ve been telling myself 5 years is enough and that maybe I should treat myself to a replacement in September but I can easily see myself deciding to wait another year.

Perhaps two.

For all my usage need, I can easily use it for next two year without issue.

Reactions: suburbia

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I don’t know how American system works, but in Canada, I assume it will be the same as American one.

The carrier will discount the phone and you pay the discounted price for 24 installment. For example, if the iPhone 7 is really 100 dollar outright from the carrier, then you pay 100/24 every month.

You can pay off your phone anytime, sometimes the carrier will also give device credit when you sign up for their plan (this is to reduce our outright cost). You will need pay that as well.

For example: iPhone SE 2 for 599CAD. When I sign up my two year contract, I get 250 dollar device credit. This reduce device cost to 349. So I essentially pay 349/24 if I stay with the carrier for 2 years. If at any point before 24 month, I decided to leave, I will have to pay off whatever remaining device cost plus pro-rated device credit. So as I am in my 14th month, I would pay (599/12)*10 plus tax.

I hope this help you understand
I worked for a telco for a while selling mobile. If the 7 is 100 dollars outright for the phone, you pay 100 dollars up front and your "contract" should be month to month only paying for airtime. If the phone cost 0 dollars up front, your device cost gets subsidized over the term of the contract. For an iphone 7, 100 dollars will probalby be the up front total device cost depending on the carrier.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
I worked for a telco for a while selling mobile. If the 7 is 100 dollars outright for the phone, you pay 100 dollars up front and your "contract" should be month to month only paying for airtime. If the phone cost 0 dollars up front, your device cost gets subsidized over the term of the contract. For an iphone 7, 100 dollars will probalby be the up front total device cost depending on the carrier.

Are you guys still selling iPhone 7 at the moment? None of Canadian carrier selling iPhone 7 at all nor iPhone 8 for that matters. The lowest you can go with carrier is iPhone SE.

But second hand market is full of wonder. If you want mimic carrier contract, you just need a line of credit and pay of the phone over 24 months... LOL

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
Are you guys still selling iPhone 7 at the moment? None of Canadian carrier selling iPhone 7 at all nor iPhone 8 for that matters. The lowest you can go with carrier is iPhone SE.

But second hand market is full of wonder. If you want mimic carrier contract, you just need a line of credit and pay of the phone over 24 months... LOL
No. They stopped selling them a long time ago. I was just using that as an example. IMO, if a person was buying an iphone 7 to connect to a new line I would tell them to goto public mobile. Plans are priced better with no credit checks etc.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
No. They stopped selling them a long time ago. I was just using that as an example. IMO, if a person was buying an iphone 7 to connect to a new line I would tell them to goto public mobile. Plans are priced better with no credit checks etc.

LOL, guess what. I just activated Public Mobile today. They have 2GB bonus data per month going on. I am using it while covering area Freedom mobile has no coverage.

Reactions: Steve Adams

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
We are on telus now. We have an EPP plan with my wife's empolyer. We have 20gb a month data on any device connected to our plan. So right now I have 20gb, my wife has 20gb, my son has 20gb on his ipad, I have 20gb on my samsung tab A, and I will have 20gb on my surface pro X when I get it next month. Good deal imo. Only thing is that its fairly expensive. But still cheaper than keeping the data plan for our tablets and going to public for airtime.

Roadster Lewis

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2021
Coventry, UK
I was happily using mine (purchased on launch day, but with a new battery) until a few months ago when I dropped it an smashed the screen. I had been planning to replace it with the Mini version released this autumn and it did not seem that it would be financially worht replcaing the screen, so sold it for not much more than the OP paid for their iPhone 7 and bought a 12 Mini. Day to day there is not all that much difference, although I do like MagSafe and Portrait mode...

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
Bought an iP7 on swappa to use as an iPod Touch. I love it, except is has the microphone issue so I can’t use it as a backup phone. It’s definitely still going strong otherwise though.

Steve Adams

Suspended
Dec 16, 2020
I still have my 6s here that my son uses. Still going strong on it original battery too. Gets a full day no issue.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
905B6843-B96E-46CD-8F56-F5DC5241CFB0.jpeg

697F0B0D-11A1-4080-9796-00CC16B9438F.jpeg

B8D2EF7D-4934-44A0-85F0-C3FD8B3E4157.jpeg

891ABFB0-5BA1-4F99-8FDE-C74C063717C5.jpeg

Few pics taken with iPhone 7. Overall, pic quality is not bad for a five year old phone.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
As someone who bought a new 7+ in early 2020, I have to say the 7/7+ is still usable today.

Performance wise, considering that this was a flagship iPhone, is stellar. On iOS13 and 14, I never feel the phone lags/slow. Apple's decision to go with nvme storage from 6s onward paid off well as many Android phones are still struggling with eMMC and UFS2.x. TouchID is great as well, the gold standard in fingerprint sensor. For an almost 5 year-old phone, it's quite great. The IP rating is also great.

Of course, there are 5-year old tech that show its age. Efficiency is one. My iPhone 7+ can heat up quickly when doing things like video calling. And even with the larger 7+, battery life is just a meh, lasting a day surely, but barely. Anything like GPS navigation can quickly drop the battery. The A10 Fusion definitely lacks the efficiency of the newer SoCs.

As for cameras, obviously the iPhone 7+ camera, while great for its time, it shows its age as well. I blame it on the processing, as there are huge leaps in image processing in the last 5 years. Telephoto lens and portrait mode works, and it's a nice feature, considering telephoto lens are now reserved only for the $1000 iPhones and higher.

I bought mine for around $350 brand new for 128GB 7+. In context, the 2020 SE 128GB was priced at around $600 when it was released in my country. For Android competitor, at that time, probably the Galaxy A51 being the closest. Performance wise, imo the 7+ beats the A51 (that uses old Exynos 9611), with the A51 winning in efficiency.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Part 2 of this review: Old iPhone 7 vs New Cheap Android

Not all of us can afford shinny new iPhone, especially new iPhone here in Canada cost tons of money. An entry level iPhone SE 2 cost you somewhere 600 dollars after tax. So buying used iPhone or some cheap Android phone are choices among many people. Of course, you can always go through carrier channel for 24 months contract, but you would really need some expensive plans for iPhone 12, especially iPhone 12 Max.

When I say cheap Android, I really means cheap. Two Android phones that I am using are: Moto G8 Power and LG K61. They are around 300 dollars.

Design:

When you are within 300CAD dollars, you generally are going for iPhone 7, iPhone 8 and plus variant. iPhone X, iPhone XR or any newer iPhone are all above 300CAD.

As design goes, new Android almost all includes Full HD edge to edge display with punch hole design (or water drop). It is significantly more modern than iPhone 7 or iPhone 8. Moto G8 Power has 6.4 inch display where LG K61 comes with 6.5 inch display. At this size, you are really able to enjoy content better than 4.7 inch or 5.5 inch found on old generation of iPhone.

But almost all cheap Android phones are made with plastic, they just not as premium as iPhone. So if you want a phone that feels premium, you go with old iPhone. But if you are looking more modern design, new Android phone wins hands down.

Display

Both iPhone 7 and iPhone 8 comes with excellent LCD display. Both support display P3 wide color. Especially with iPhone 8, true tone makes all the difference. But they have lower resolution display and no edge to edge design.

While most cheap Android offers larger display, most of them are just plain entry level LCD display. You won't find any entry level or even mid-tire Android phone with iPhone level color accuracy and color management. You certainly won't able to get true tone with these cheap Android phone.

So, when you are tight no budge, you need to decide what is more important for you. If you cares about accurate display and tone tune, iPhone is only option for you. But if you care more about display size and edge to edge display, then Android is way to go.

Performance

Most entry level Android devices comes with Snapdragon 665 or Snapdragon 765 or some MedidaTek Helo processors. They generally performance exceptionally well given its price point. Generally day to day tasks are pretty smooth, but lags and frame drops do show up from time to time. Most this mid-range chip will show visible delays or lags when multitasking or heavy applications.

But with iPhone 7, especially iPhone , you won't really find slowness. iOS is so well optimized, performance not an issue.

For example: even with native YouTube apps, when you go full screen mode, most entry level Android phone will lag and drop frames. It very visible and very annoying. Or you feel your phone pause for a sec after you tap app icon. Although general performance is very good, but these little annoyances will add up.

Camera

Camera department is where old iPhone, especially iPhone 7 shows its age. Most entry level Android phone comes with two or more cameras. With LG K61, you find 4 cameras. Take LG K61 as example: It has 48MP main camera, 8MP wide angle camera, 5MP depth camera and 2MP Macro camera. Each camera will do different jobs, so you get some short of portrait mode or you can shoot close up pictures with macro lens or you get night mode. Although picture quality are mediocre at best, but you do get these features.

In comparison, iPhone 7 or iPhone 8 gets none. No portrait mode, no night mode, no macro shots or no wide angle shots. Although plus variant makes up with portrait mode, but that is about it.

Conclusion:

It is all depends on needs. While new Android offers modern design although most of them are made with plastic; edge to edge display, even though display quality suffers with lower quality panels; better camera selection and wider choice of camera mode.

When iPhone 7 cost half as new Android, I feel the stable performance, timely software update and iOS ecosystem should be the choice, but more expensive iPhone 8 or plus variant is not clear cut.

vim147

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2011
Does anyone know if the screen on the iPhone 7 is the same thats on the iPhone SE 2020 ?

I recently bought a used iPhone 7 however the SE 2020 screen is a lot more vibrant, although i suspect my 7 screen has probably been changed.

mvray

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2015
Daughter has had a 7+ for a few years and it's held up quite well with a screen and battery replacement along the way. If you need durability beta tester give it to her. Waiting for a good promo and will upgrade her to a 12 probably.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The matte black iPhone 7 Plus was great for me when I had it. It has 3gb of ram so apple will support it for another 2 years at least.

sunapple

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2013
The Netherlands
I have to say, my Jet Black iPhone 7 and later my JB 7 Plus were the most beautiful iPhones I’ve ever owned. Making the iPhone out of a single piece of material must be the end-game, only this color came close to that feel.

However I wouldn’t trade my 12, hard to go back to those bezels and the home button. I do hope they get rid of the glass in the future and reintroduce Jet Black...

Reactions: tt061282
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.