Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
They probably haven’t measured it yet.

I have not seen that measurement technique mentioned anywhere. Anywhere.

...or it just could be crap.

Send your findings to Linus, he would be all over this like a rash.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
...or it just could be crap.

Once you prove Pythagorean’s theorem and cross verify it, is there an iota of chance it’s wrong? Is it possible for somebody to prove in 2019 that it was wrong all along.

That’s the type of proof I’m talking about. But not everybody can understand complex theorems without any background knowledge. So is the case with every proof.

For those who are open to learn and are inquisitive can PM me. Those who want to parrot Apple’s fanboyism should stay in the make believe world they’ve created for themselves. :)

Reactions: simonmet

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Once you prove Pythagorean’s theorem and cross verify it, is there an iota of chance it’s wrong? Is it possible for somebody to prove in 2019 that it was wrong all along.

That’s the type of proof I’m talking about. But not everybody can understand complex theorems without any background knowledge. So is the case with every proof.

For those who are open to learn and are inquisitive can PM me. Those who want to parrot Apple’s fanboyism should stay in the make believe world they’ve created for themselves. :)

Riigghht. Better to remain silent than to speak and remove all doubt.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Riigghht. Better to remain silent than to speak and remove all doubt.

Did you even once ask me for the proof? I have Aspergers and I certainly don’t care about sarcasm.

From what I inferred, you don’t want to know the proof or discuss, you never even asked for the proof. :)

You just want to say there’s no proof. Had you asked for the proof, I would have hinted it to you and provided some of my findings for everybody to check for themselves.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Did you even once ask me for the proof? I have Aspergers and I certainly don’t care about sarcasm.

From what I inferred, you don’t want to know the proof or discuss, you never even asked for the proof. :)

You just want to say there’s no proof. Had you asked for the proof, I would have hinted it to you and provided some of my findings for everybody to check for themselves.

Do you expect a free pass because you have Aspergers? Why would you even mention that?

If you want to make outrageous claims then back it up instead of obtuse claims about hints and some evidence.

Make a new thread here and present what you’ve got for critical evaluation. Put up or pipe down.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Try this:

1. Download Coconut Battery or iMazing.

2. Run any activity for 30-60 minutes or more. One instance on a 2017 or older. The same thing also on a 2018 or newer. Assuming iOS 12. Could be any kind of test.

3. Interrupt that activity every five minutes by going back to the home screen and opening any one other app of your choice for a minute and then again go back to the main activity.

4. What you’ll notice is that older devices will have huge spikes in watt hour consumption whenever you interrupt the activity. iPhone 8 wont have it on iOS 11 but will have it on iOS 12 and so on. XS will have the same issue on iOS 13, guaranteed. iPhone 11 won’t.

5. Whenever you change the activity. There will be a huge spike.

6. That’s why benchmarks will never be able to catch this. Because benchmarks happen within the realm of a single app.

7. And the thing is, on original iOS versions of any iDevice you won’t have a spike anywhere near what you’ll have of a one year old device, even if both have a fresh battery.

8. That’s why if you just play NetFlix on your iPhone X for 10 hours, you can do that on a single charge. But you can’t swap between Mail, Home Screen and Safari for even 8 hours or maybe not even for 7 hours on low brightness on iOS 12 on an iPhone X. While on iOS 11 you can easily get 10+ hours doing the same stuff. But as far as just Netflix for 10 hours straight is concerned, that will drain the battery to 0 on both iOS 11 and 12.

Do NOT comment until you verify this. First check it for yourself. And then discuss.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
Try this:

1. Download Coconut Battery or iMazing.

2. Run any activity for 30-60 minutes or more. One instance on a 2017 or older. The same thing also on a 2018 or newer. Assuming iOS 12. Could be any kind of test.

3. Interrupt that activity every five minutes by going back to the home screen and opening any one other app of your choice for a minute and then again go back to the main activity.

4. What you’ll notice is that older devices will have huge spikes in watt hour consumption whenever you interrupt the activity. iPhone 8 wont have it on iOS 11 but will have it on iOS 12 and so on. XS will have the same issue on iOS 13, guaranteed. iPhone 11 won’t.

5. Whenever you change the activity. There will be a huge spike.

6. That’s why benchmarks will never be able to catch this. Because benchmarks happen within the realm of a single app.

7. And the thing is, on original iOS versions of any iDevice you won’t have a spike anywhere near what you’ll have of a one year old device, even if both have a fresh battery.

8. That’s why if you just play NetFlix on your iPhone X for 10 hours, you can do that on a single charge. But you can’t swap between Mail, Home Screen and Safari for even 8 hours or maybe not even for 7 hours on low brightness on iOS 12 on an iPhone X. While on iOS 11 you can easily get 10+ hours doing the same stuff. But as far as just Netflix for 10 hours straight is concerned, that will drain the battery to 0 on both iOS 11 and 12.

Do NOT comment until you verify this. First check it for yourself. And then discuss.

This is not proof Apple check for running benchmark programs to rig the results. You said it yourself, it happens with any app (assuming the rest of what you say is accurate).

What a load of crock. Talk about being presented with results and then jumping to totally the wrong conclusion.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
This is not proof Apple check for running benchmark programs to rig the results. You said it yourself, it happens with any app (assuming the rest of what you say is accurate).

What a load of crock. Talk about being presented with results and then jumping to totally the wrong conclusion.

That’s what I said. Can you prove it?

Show me an iPhone X that gets 9+ hrs SOT on iOS 12?
[doublepost=1558359094][/doublepost]
Have you actually tested this?

Not in every situation required. But I’m pretty sure I’m more or less spot on. If anybody would like to take the challenge and prove that they can get 8+ hrs on Instagram battery life on iOS 12 with an iPhone X, I’d be willing to take it against them.
[doublepost=1558359154][/doublepost]

The proof is right there in front of you. You only need to have the ability to decipher it. Apple engineers are able to. But somebody here isn’t. And that somebody is who doesn’t understand how code works.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
That’s what I said. Can you prove it?

Show me an iPhone X that gets 9+ hrs SOT on iOS 12?
[doublepost=1558359094][/doublepost]

Not in every situation required. But I’m pretty sure I’m more or less spot on. If anybody would like to take the challenge and prove that they can get 8+ hrs on Instagram battery life on iOS 12 with an iPhone X, I’d be willing to take it against them.
[doublepost=1558359154][/doublepost]

The proof is right there in front of you. You only need to have the ability to decipher it. Apple engineers are able to. But somebody here isn’t. And that somebody is who doesn’t understand how code works.

God give me strength.

rbart

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2013
France
iOS12 eats more battery under intense activity "by design".
It has been explained by Apple: the OS gives more quickly more CPU power for demanding tasks to improve speed and smoothness compared to the slow ramp-up with iOS11.
Ramp-A8_575px.png

This has a cost: it eats more battery.
There is no miracle more speed => more power if you keep the same hardware.
Optimization is always a difficult balance between power saving and cpu power.

I have read your methodology to test battery life and for me it's not fully reliable.
You rely on power estimations given by a tool or the OS. Remember it's not a real measurement, it's an estimation, and it's not linear so you can't extrapolate the first 20% to the full battery usage.
You methodology doesn't reflect true usage in real situation. Your test is interesting, but it's no a scientific proof.
It's YOUR test in YOUR conditions, that's all.

Sorry for the english, I am french, so it's no always easy to share my thoughts.

Last edited:

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
Ok. How much does your XS get on iOS 12? How much did you X get on iOS 12 for the same usage?

I’m genuinely curious.

From what reviews say XS lasts 25-30% longer than the X. And the Max lasts another 10-15% over the XS.

Do you think that’s not under real world conditions?

I don’t have an iPhone Xs the reason I asked is because I’ve seen the battery graphs of phones like those and it’s on par with my iPhone X on iOS 12

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
IMG_0147.jpg
83ACC181-B47E-44A6-BAA1-6A75115E97DD.png
Can you pls show me your graphs?

Mixed usage today. Took it off the charger at 7:53 am it’s now 6:50 pm. No "power optimizations" (i.e turning off background refresh) I just used my phone as it came out of the box. Also, my Netflix and TV app usage consisted of streaming content and not watched downloaded content. I turned on low power mode when iOS asked me to at 20%.

Last edited:

YaBe

Cancelled
Oct 5, 2017
Hi guys

I’m new here and wanted to ask if anybody is having the same issue as me
After 3 months my iPhone 7 seems to have lost performance I noticed this while playing pubg mobile so I tried to benchmark and see and I was surprised to find out the score went down to 162K when it was about 202K 3 months earlier
Is this normal guys ??
Édit : battery health is at 96% performance management disabled / I used Antutu benchmark
September is close, they have to make youupdate :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.