Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
I was indoors so it was kept at around 30-40%

And mostly on Wifi?

If yes, then that explains it.

When I’m saying 5+ hrs I’m assuming medium to high to full brightness, some speaker audio, a lot of social media on 4G and so on. And of course mail, Safari too. And a mix of 4G and Wifi with areas of low signal.

That’s the type of usage I would like a phone to get 10+ hrs with. Of screen on time. :)
[doublepost=1558448518][/doublepost]
And mostly on Wifi?

When I’m saying 5+ hrs I’m assuming medium to high to full brightness, some speaker audio, a lot of social media on 4G and so on. And of course mail, Safari too. And a mix of 4G and Wifi with areas of low signal.

That’s the type of usage I would like a phone to get 10+ hrs with. Of screen on time. :)

For example, most people don’t realise this but at least on my iPhone Apple Mail sips through battery. Even if Britney’s is low and I’m on Wifi I’ll easily lose 15%+ with 60 minutes of Apple Mail.
[doublepost=1558448578][/doublepost]
I was indoors so it was kept at around 30-40%
[doublepost=1558448376][/doublepost]

Currently at 66%

I tried a DFU restore.

And now I’m getting results similar to you. Not bad. And much better than before.

But I’d like 2x this battery life now. :)

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
And mostly on Wifi?

And were you getting that kind of usage when you first got your iPhone X on iOS 11?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
And were you getting that kind of usage when you first got your iPhone X on iOS 11?

I don’t think so.

A DFU restore and starting afresh on iOS 12.4 Beta 2 has given me back 85%+ of iOS 11’s performance on my X. But not yet on my ipads.
[doublepost=1558449502][/doublepost]On iOS 11 I was getting performance similar to what you’re getting now. Maybe very slightly better than that, maybe.

badatusernames

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2018
On iOS 11 I was getting performance similar to what you’re getting now. Maybe very slightly better than that, maybe.

So if you were getting similar battery life on the original OS how is that "planned obsolescence" as you tend to claim?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Nope. On second thoughts, consume this info:

Early versions of iOS 11

Assuming I have full volume alarms for the morning with way too many notifications, alarms ringing for 15-30 minutes: battery would drain like 2-5% maybe assuming it wasn’t on 100%. Or on 100% then 0.

And now on iOS 12:

The same thing makes my battery go down by a minimum of 10-15%. Minimum.

Back then:

If doing light usage, it took 6-10 minutes for it to go down 1%. With only light usage the battery was like 12+ hrs I guess. With no battery optimisation.

Now with all possible battery optimisation:

In early versions of iOS 12 it started going down by 1% every 5-7 mins.

And now nothing’s fixed. Sometimes it goes down by 1% in 1 min sometimes in 6-7 mins. Avg is 3-4/4-5 mins. With far lighter usage now.

That time (11)with heavy usage (social media etc) I got 8-10 hrs. Now to get 6-7 hrs it has to be super light usage partially with Dark Mode in apps.

That time it was 10 hr usage with 36 hrs standby.

Now it’s 5-7 hrs usage with 6-10 hrs standby. Standby melts the battery.

Here’s this:

A reviewer tested X on full brightness with Wifi YouTube and it lasted 11 hrs.

The same reviewer tested the Max a year later and it only lasted 8 hrs.

Obviously the X would do much worse now. Won’t it?

Calling used to reduce 1% in 8-10 mins. Now it’s 6-8 mins.

That’s a 25% reduction right there.

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
IOS 12 and the “magical” perfromance it gave to older devices was actually just Apple removing the most obvious of their intentional “planned obsolescense” code.
Do you really believe that Apple developers are asked, and they comply, to add “slowdown” code to iOS for older devices?

Like “if running on iPhone 5S, make the animation slower or wait before launching the camera”?

That’s a ridiculous claim and people would discover it very quickly.

I *do* believe that optimising for older devices hasn’t always been a priority - iOS 11.0 was laggy in places on my 6s, but improved gradually and iOS 12 is just excellent on 6s and it’s almost four years old.

But deliberately f*cking over customers: no way.

Why making customers mad and hitting the front page of every publication in the world would make any sense whatsoever for Apple?

Also, why go through all that trouble? It’s much easier for Apple to just drop iOS support after two years than to add some “planned obsolescence” code.

“No code at all” is much more efficient way for obsoleting your devices. No security updates and apps stop working.

Apple’s software support for iOS devices is easily the longest in the industry. No one comes even close. Strangely this is always forgotten in planned obsolescence claims. And nobody mentions Android devices which are typically abandoned by their manufacturer after 18-24 months.

Old iPhones like the 5s and 6 are simply insanely slow hardware in comparison to current models. It’s a small wonder they are usable at all with the latest iOS.

Single core performance difference between 5s and XS/XR is about 4x. That’s like comparing a current laptop CPU to a 15 year old one. No wonder if 5s isn’t as fast on iOS 12 as it was with iOS 7 or whatever it shipped with.

(I think MR forums are getting more and more ridiculous day by day.)

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Do you really believe that Apple developers are asked, and they comply, to add “slowdown” code to iOS for older devices?

Like “if running on iPhone 5S, make the animation slower or wait before launching the camera”?

That’s a ridiculous claim and people would discover it very quickly.

I *do* believe that optimising for older devices hasn’t always been a priority - iOS 11.0 was laggy in places on my 6s, but improved gradually and iOS 12 is just excellent on 6s and it’s almost four years old.

But deliberately f*cking over customers: no way.

Why making customers mad and hitting the front page of every publication in the world would make any sense whatsoever for Apple?

Also, why go through all that trouble? It’s much easier for Apple to just drop iOS support after two years than to add some “planned obsolescence” code.

“No code at all” is much more efficient way for obsoleting your devices. No security updates and apps stop working.

Apple’s software support for iOS devices is easily the longest in the industry. No one comes even close. Strangely this is always forgotten in planned obsolescence claims. And nobody mentions Android devices which are typically abandoned by their manufacturer after 18-24 months.

Old iPhones like the 5s and 6 are simply insanely slow hardware in comparison to current models. It’s a small wonder they are usable at all with the latest iOS.

Single core performance difference between 5s and XS/XR is about 4x. That’s like comparing a current laptop CPU to a 15 year old one. No wonder if 5s isn’t as fast on iOS 12 as it was with iOS 7 or whatever it shipped with.

(I think MR forums are getting more and more ridiculous day by day.)

It’s because of delusions like this that Apple keeps doing its non sense.

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
So, what iPhone are you using?

Let me guess: yet another Android user strangely wasting their time on MR. I just don’t get it.

Can you explain Apple’s 5-6 year long software support for iOS devices in the context of “planned obsolescence”?

Oh - it’s just so that they can push these slowed down versions of iOS, of course :)

But we are waiting for your proof of deliberate slowing down of older devices.

You will be famous.

Reactions: JBGoode

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
So, what iPhone are you using?

Let me guess: yet another Android user strangely wasting their time on MR. I just don’t get it.

Can you explain Apple’s 5-6 year long software support for iOS devices in the context of “planned obsolescence”?

Oh - it’s just so that they can push these slowed down versions of iOS, of course :)

But we are waiting for your proof of deliberate slowing down of older devices.

You will be famous.

Are you kidding yourself? Just look at my sig. You’ll know the ones I’m currently testing (owned by me or my family)
[doublepost=1558597069][/doublepost]iOS 12 is way faster than iOS 11. But battery life is worse.
[doublepost=1558597142][/doublepost]And bat life isn’t worse on iPads. But it is so on iPhones.

nikusak

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2014
Are you kidding yourself? Just look at my sig. You’ll know the ones I’m currently testing (owned by me or my family)
[doublepost=1558597069][/doublepost]iOS 12 is way faster than iOS 11. But battery life is worse.
[doublepost=1558597142][/doublepost]And bat life isn’t worse on iPads. But it is so on iPhones.
Ok.

So, when do we get the proof and details of your sensational findings i.e. that Apple is doing something nasty (what exactly?) deliberately?

Batteries deteriorate with age. An iPhone X bought in 2017 running iOS 12 will surely have worse battery life than a brand new iPhone X running iOS 11 in 2017 out of box.

If I recall correctly from last year’s WWDC, they do spin up the CPU more aggressively in certain situations on iOS 12, like when launching the camera. That will use more battery.

But so, you are claiming that iOS 12 sucks battery just to make people angry?

Or what exactly is your point?
[doublepost=1558613479][/doublepost]
...and you actually didn’t respond to any of my arguments and didn’t even care to explain what is this claimed “non sense” Apple is doing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So it must be true because it's a conspiracy theory? Circular logic doesn't really hold up, and usually undermines what it tries to confirm.

Last edited:
Reactions: simonsi

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Apple definitely slows down the UI intentionally. They slow animation speeds subtly over time to make the device feel slower. That was demonstrated once on YouTube.

But where it’s not even subtle is the delay they added to the home button around the time the notched iPhone X came out; and now the very significant delay they added to 3D Touch on app icons.

Why do they do this? Who on Earth needed a slow 3D Touch? What makes it even more noticeable (and infuriating) is that 3D Touch actions aren’t slowed as much elsewhere in the OS, or in apps—though I think they’re adding subtle delays to it even in Control Centre now.

At the end of the day, if Apple put the effort in to optimise their OS for all compatible models, and didn’t intentionally slow them down, they’d have the courage to let users who want to roll back the OS, but they don’t. That says a lot I reckon. Apple is happy (or indeed intends to) make old devices virtually unusable with their last compatible OS. I have an iPad 2 that’s basically unusable now thanks to an iOS update.

Last edited:

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland

Actually I think everything you see is the result of normal behaviour (I’d expect the processor and hence wattage to spike when switching apps in order to deliver the new app asap, then processor and wattage will return to whatever that app needs...), or the natural result of asking the OS and processor to do more. There is only so much optimisation that can be done to offset the greater load of doing more.
[doublepost=1560825385][/doublepost]
Apple definitely slows down the UI intentionally. They slow animation speeds subtly over time to make the device feel slower. That was demonstrated once on YouTube.

You have evidence of that <intent> as opposed to it just being an unavoidable reality?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.