Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mobilehavoc

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
This happened to me on the way in to work this morning but I was driving through the area (on the highway at least) where the NYC bombing suspect was being chased so I thought they had shut down the cell towers. lol. Signal came back after driving a few miles without doing anything.

FWIW, my iPhone 6S with iOS 9 and even iOS 10 had these random drops with VZW for over a year but wasn't related to an app but just random.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
So far keeping LTE voice turned off and it hasn't happened once yet. Anyone else? This may be a clue!

rfbandit

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2007
VZW support just contacted me and had me turn off HD voice as a test. You may want to try the same. VZW "Check by going to Settings> Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE. If it's turned on, it'll show as Voice & Data. Please change this to Data"
Worked for me! Thank you!

giphy.gif

Reactions: needfx and 0r30

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
Verizon contacted me again this morning to follow up after I turned off voice LTE. I explained that this helped and they asked that I now try removing my phone case and re-enabling voice LTE. Disabling voice LTE is only a test to find root cause. The end result should be everything works with voice LTE on. I'll report back.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Verizon contacted me again this morning to follow up after I turned off voice LTE. I explained that this helped and they asked that I now try removing my phone case and re-enabling voice LTE. Disabling voice LTE is only a test to find root cause. The end result should be everything works with voice LTE on. I'll report back.

I turned it off, didn't have the issue for awhile, then turned it back on and haven't had it since. Will test later at work.

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey
worked for me as well - thanks! I eagerly await both Apple and Verizon's call back to me so I can report this temporary solution :)

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey
reset network settings didn't help at all (arguably made it worse)...however, toggling off LTE for voice and having it be data only seemed to do the trick for me (thanks to another macrumors forumer who reported the temporary fix)

Reactions: determined09

Mskids

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2016
reset network settings didn't help at all (arguably made it worse)...however, toggling off LTE for voice and having it be data only seemed to do the trick for me (thanks to another macrumors forumer who reported the temporary fix)
Same issue on iPhone 7 plus while driving with Waze . Quit all apps no help. Turned wifi back on and then it found service . Has happened three times a day in downtown Philadelphia areas with good coverage .

Also noticed when this happens a phone hard restart brings it back but only for 10 min or so . AND restarts takes several minutes each time

WyM9

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Same problem in France.

iPhone 6S is on 4G, everything is ok
iPhone 7 is on 3G and cant load a safari tab

At the same moment, same place, same sim card, same configuration

Not good at all

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I dunno I'm in the same exact spot at I work I was yesterday and after turning of advanced calling and back on again, I have zero network issues. Maybe that was the issue all along. I sent my findings to Verizon customer service through an ongoing chat we have.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I dunno I'm in the same exact spot at I work I was yesterday and after turning of advanced calling and back on again, I have zero network issues. Maybe that was the issue all along. I sent my findings to Verizon customer service through an ongoing chat we have.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
Weird. Could be the list of LTE device IDs didn't finish propagating to towers forcing devices to older networks? Just a random theory.

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
Update from Verizon after I reported that disabling voice LTE alleviated issue - "Glad to learn all has been stable. This issue was reported a few times by some who experienced a carrier update just after activation of their device. You can re-enable your LTE for voice at any time. If the service issue does come back, simply re-seat the SIM and all should be fine." VZW Support.

WyM9

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2013
Same problem in France.

iPhone 6S is on 4G, everything is ok
iPhone 7 is on 3G and cant load a safari tab

At the same moment, same place, same sim card, same configuration

Not good at all

jkozlow3

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Update from Verizon after I reported that disabling voice LTE alleviated issue - "Glad to learn all has been stable. This issue was reported a few times by some who experienced a carrier update just after activation of their device. You can re-enable your LTE for voice at any time. If the service issue does come back, simply re-seat the SIM and all should be fine." VZW Support.

I'm fairly skeptical that simply disabling VoLTE and re-enabling it is a lasting fix, but I hope it continues to work for you!

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
I'm fairly skeptical that simply disabling VoLTE and re-enabling it is a lasting fix, but I hope it continues to work for you!

I am skeptical too but that's all we have at the moment. Perhaps they made an adjustment on their end to resolve whatever was happening with voice over LTE. Fingers crossed!

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I'm skeptical too, but I haven't had any drop outs all day. Usually would've been 3-4 deep by now at work. So far it's consistent 2 dots of LTE and no issues. Maybe it had something to do with the activation of Advanced calling that was throwing the account/network off. Resetting it fixes that issue.

Reactions: novakjos

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey
I'm skeptical too, but I haven't had any drop outs all day. Usually would've been 3-4 deep by now at work. So far it's consistent 2 dots of LTE and no issues. Maybe it had something to do with the activation of Advanced calling that was throwing the account/network off. Resetting it fixes that issue.

Just for clarification, are you talking about turning off and on from the iPhone settings (data only vs voice + data) or from your Verizon account (enabling/disabling hd voice)?

I toggled on and off from iPhone settings and has been okay so far but just wanted to make sure it's the same fix you were talking about :)

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
Just for clarification, are you talking about turning off and on from the iPhone settings (data only vs voice + data) or from your Verizon account (enabling/disabling hd voice)?

I toggled on and off from iPhone settings and has been okay so far but just wanted to make sure it's the same fix you were talking about :)

Just from iPhone. I rebooted as well for good measure.

Reactions: novakjos

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ

Directly from the phone settings, not online.

Still appears ok as far as I can see.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Oh that's great!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.