Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ACE_350

Cancelled
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
As I approach week three on my iPhone 8 Plus I can't help but feel compelled to make a post about my experience, so far the iPhone 8 Plus has been great. Aside from a few minor iOS 11 glitches it's been nearly perfect. I've come to really appreciate the glass back, the additional heft and build quality. I've had every iPhone since release and I've always put my phone in a case and have never broken any of them.

For all the negative press the iPhone 8/8+ is receiving I think it's mostly due to perception of what the media is saying, everyone seems to be so obsessed with the current "trend" of no bezels and following what every maker is doing, but circling back to these devices, I feel like they're Apple's work horse phones now. Nothing flashy, but they will get the job done and do it well. I realize my iPhone 8 Plus has really large, ugly bezels by today's standards, and is still using "old" LCD screen tech, but when I still look at the screen, I see a bright, color accurate and clear display with no pixels, and despite having large bezels, I still handle my device without any issues.

Above all else, it has the most powerful SoC to date and RAM to carry it for 3+ years easily. My battery life and camera is industry leading, and it's built on a proven foundation and design that is established and works.

I also feel like the Plus model particular will be the best performing iPhone due to having less pixels to push.

As appealing as the iPhone X looks, I'm going to wait a year and see how it matures and reacts. I've always been a little cautious of buying gen 1 products, until then I am going to stick with what works for now.

Anyone else feel this way?

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I agree. I was watching some shows and was blown away at the screen. I'm happy with my 8 Plus and the heft feels substantial.

Reactions: Bethanie21

haqsha23

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2017
Mississauga
Everybody's different, and it doesn't matter what they think. If you are happy with the 8+, which clearly based on your post you are, then that's all that matters.

iScone

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
The 8+ is a beautiful phone. My partner has one because she couldn't be bothered waiting for the X and would rather pay less. Upgrading from the 6, her experience has been fantastic.

Speaking personally, I can't be dealing with the sheer size of the thing. It's 2017; there's no excuse for bezels.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Amazing device. I couldn't be happier after upgrading from the 6s Plus. Touch ID is reliable... the screen is gorgeous... performance is top of the line with the A11 and the battery life is out of this world.

See attached.

I like to listen to video/movies while at work (instead of music) and on a 17 hour work day earlier this month I streamed 13+ hours of on screen video with power remaining. I'd have hit the 14 hours that Apple claims in the specs.

Bravo.
[doublepost=1508853782][/doublepost]
As appealing as the iPhone X looks, I'm going to wait a year and see how it matures and reacts. I've always been a little cautious of buying gen 1 products, until then I am going to stick with what works for now.

Anyone else feel this way?

I have no problems waiting. I did it with the Watch Series 3... my first AW. The 8 Plus has the hardware to last.

Still, I'd consider an X Plus next year... and I think it will happen. If it doesn't, I'm not interested. Maybe I'm in the minority here but I can't go back to a smaller/narrower screen size. I like the Plus width.

Attachments

• bat.jpg
    bat.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Reactions: anubis1980

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
the thing is, so does my 6S+ (still!), and i guess also the 7+..
yea, better processor on the 8..

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Agreed wholeheartedly, mine's been fantastic. The glass back is a game changer from a grip standpoint.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Glad you're happy with yours. I also like mine, but can't say that I appreciate the additional weight, my 7 Plus was heavy enough.

If the reviews don't reveal any showstoppers I'll still be getting the X.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
Glad you're happy with yours. I also like mine, but can't say that I appreciate the additional weight, my 7 Plus was heavy enough.

If the reviews don't reveal any showstoppers I'll still be getting the X.

Don't the reviews come out after the pre-orders? In which case you will likely not be getting an X til the middle of next year if you wait til after reviews!
[doublepost=1508857428][/doublepost]Love my 8 Plus. Love the aspect ratio of the screen. And don't mind the bezels, because they're practical and I've not accepted being mind-programmed by the sheep in this forum to hate them :cool:

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
iPhone X: Apple's Work Horse. Everything the Plus has, and more.

LOL... here we go again.

So what do you do if you're like me and don't care about the "more"...

1) dual OIS (I'm not a photo enthusiast and if I was I'd buy a lot better camera than what this or any other phone has to offer but hey, it takes great photos for sharing on Facebook)

2) notched OLED (the 8 Plus LCD is amazing looking and without a notch)

3) Face ID? Unproven. I'm fine with Touch ID for now.

4) animojis (LOL seriously Apple?)

So sell me the "flagship" X. Tell me all about the fact it's got a great processor, RAM and storage right?

Oh wait, I have the same exact hardware in my 8 Plus!

But hey, enjoy your animojis!!!:D

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
LOL... here we go again.

1) dual OIS (I'm not a photo enthusiast and if I was I'd buy a lot better camera than what this or any other phone has to offer but hey, it takes great photos for sharing on Facebook)

So sell me the "flagship" X. Tell me all about the fact it's got a great processor, RAM and storage right?

If I were you, I'd get the 7 Plus.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
I had a decision to make, either get the iPhone 8+ or the 10, and I too took in consideration for the first generation OLED screen, and FaseID. I read about the Google offering just today, and now they are having some burn in screen issues, and other issues with the screen. Besides, I like the bigger screen and I know Apple will probably offer a larger screen next year which I am hoping for. The screen on the iPhone 8+ is brighter, with a better PPI over the iPhone 8 4.7 inch.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That's what I thought. You can't counter what I've said so you resort to a flame.

LOL It's ok man... just keep telling yourself you are buying the "flagship" X... hell, make an animoji of it.

I would do it for you.... but my outdated phone can't do that.

:rolleyes:

I am not sure what you mean. I don't think the 8 Plus is bad phone, or outdated. The internals are great (partly why I want the X), but I also want a modern design/no chins, TrueDepth camera, OLED, and a gesture based UI (something I have wanted since the Palm Pre). I have had the 6-8 design for a long time now and I am ready for something different. The X has everything the 8 Plus has, just with the added things that I want. I just feel that unless you need wireless charging, the 7 Plus is the better buy right now (you can find one pretty cheap, essentially the same performance). I haven't tried the Animoji thing yet so we'll see how it works, but it looks like pretty advanced tech for a phone. I'd imagine developers will be able to come up with some interesting uses for the TrueDepth camera.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I agree. I was watching some shows and was blown away at the screen. I'm happy with my 8 Plus and the heft feels substantial.

Aside from the iPhone 8 being a solid device, it's still retains an important feature for some with Touch ID. All together, I think it was brilliant for Apple to update the iPhone 8 and allow choices for those who are not interested in the iPhone X.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Since the Plus models are wider, much faster to type on and makes less mistakes. The X is as narrow as the 5" Pixel. The 5.8" X is like typing on a 5" phone but the keyboard could be taller.

The iPhone 8 Plus could also be the last to have its very own BoomSound. Nobody talks about the X lacking dual front speakers on the top and bottom.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
LOL... here we go again.

OK I'll give responding a try.

1. Since I haven't taken a picture with anything else than my phone, it matters to me

2. OLED is a better display, notch or not it is a better display

3. I don't keep the plans for the defense of the world in my phone, so if it doesn't work I'll just turn it off and use pin

4. OK don't use them much either way.

Added to your list, I came from BB10 and always thought it was the best of all the OSS. Looking forward to being gesture based again.

The 8+ is a great phone and I would have been very happy with it if there wasn't an X. But there is and since I enjoy having the "latest" it's the right phone for me. I just hope I don't have to wait too long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.