Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
A number of posts were removed due to bickering, please stay on topic.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Since the Plus models are wider, much faster to type on and makes less mistakes. The X is as narrow as the 5" Pixel. The 5.8" X is like typing on a 5" phone but the keyboard could be taller.

The iPhone 8 Plus could also be the last to have its very own BoomSound. Nobody talks about the X lacking dual front speakers on the top and bottom.

Of course they don't... LOL that would make it inferior.

I just hope I don't have to wait too long.

It's gonna be entertaining... Friday is almost here. I've got the popcorn ready.

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
Uggg. Why do they have to be compared. They are built for different folks with different needs. They are both great.

Reactions: TravisPNW

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
Uggg. Why do they have to be compared. They are built for different folks with different needs. They are both great.

I agree. I'm not sure why an electronic device is a status symbol but that's the world we live in.

In the end nobody cares what someone else has.

Reactions: ABC5S

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Since the Plus models are wider, much faster to type on and makes less mistakes. The X is as narrow as the 5" Pixel. The 5.8" X is like typing on a 5" phone but the keyboard could be taller.

The iPhone 8 Plus could also be the last to have its very own BoomSound. Nobody talks about the X lacking dual front speakers on the top and bottom.

Good point, so the iPhone X has 1 speaker on the bottom only but not the other one near the ear piece?

That70sGAdawg

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2008
Athens, GA USA

What? The X doesn't have the same speakers (or better) as the 8 plus? Where is this documented?? The diagram on Apples web page specs shows stereo speaker on front top, and bottom right (like the 8 & 8 plus). Where is the difference noted ? That's BIG to me if true...

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Good point, so the iPhone X has 1 speaker on the bottom only but not the other one near the ear piece?

The X only has one speaker in the notch I believe. No speaker at the bottom. Which is weird considering they have the holes/space for it. At least going by the specs page.

EDIT: This is wrong. They have two speakers as the 8 Plus has. One in the notch and one in the bottom. Just didn't scroll down further on the specs page.
[doublepost=1508869556][/doublepost]
What? The X doesn't have the same speakers (or better) as the 8 plus? Where is this documented?? The diagram on Apples web page specs shows stereo speaker on front top, and bottom right (like the 8 & 8 plus). Where is the difference noted ? That's BIG to me if true...

It has the same or potentially better, we don't know yet. It does have at least the same though.

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Capture.PNG

Reactions: That70sGAdawg

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
never mind. Someone posted picture already :(

Attachments

• 649A4153-B9C4-49CC-AE7D-3EFE02903922.jpeg
    649A4153-B9C4-49CC-AE7D-3EFE02903922.jpeg
    257.3 KB · Views: 77

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
It actually has the equivalent of the notch, but in the form of chins. Two of them, top and bottom of the screen. Just as unsightly.
No.. one has a rectangular screen, natural for consumption of media, and one has an asymmetrical pentile screen that's bound to cut into all of your content at all times.

Just look at pictures of Safari in landscape... *shudders*

The iPhone X might be slightly better than the iPhone 8, but is nowhere near the 8 Plus

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
No.. one has a rectangular screen, natural for consumption of media, and one has an asymmetrical pentile screen that's bound to cut into all of your content at all times.

Just look at pictures of Safari in landscape... *shudders*

The iPhone X might be slightly better than the iPhone 8, but is nowhere near the 8 Plus

Better hold on to that 8 than because the notch isn’t going anywhere. I don’t use my phone in landscape or consume media so I don’t think it will be an issue. From comparison shots of apps on the X, I think it looks better. Just as much or more content. It’s good that we have choices, but I just can’t get over the dated design for another year. Happy you like it though.

Last edited:

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Better hold on to that 8 than because the notch isn’t going anywhere. I don’t use my phone in landscape or consume media so I don’t think it will be an issue. From comparison shots of apps on the X, I think it looks better. Just as much or more content. It’s good that we have choices, but I just can’t get over the dates design for another year. Happy you like it though.
I think they'll probably find a way to get rid of it or at least reduce it in the future. There's no way this fugly design is permanent.

> I don't consume media
> Buys an iPhone X

???

Reactions: Apple Fritter

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Better hold on to that 8 than because the notch isn’t going anywhere. I don’t use my phone in landscape or consume media so I don’t think it will be an issue. From comparison shots of apps on the X, I think it looks better. Just as much or more content. It’s good that we have choices, but I just can’t get over the dates design for another year. Happy you like it though.

You don't use it in landscape or consume media, so what do you use it for? Honestly curious.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
Without taking any sides here, I think it's crazy to believe the iPhone X will in any way be inferior to any models currently in the iPhone lineup. It's clearly their flagship and will have things the other phones will not, the usability area in the screen may be slightly smaller, but this isn't replacing a plus model, as that will most likely happen down the road. No need for a pissing contest Apple decided which device is the more advanced of the two already.

Suckfest 9001

Suspended
May 31, 2015
Canada
Without taking any sides here, I think it's crazy to believe the iPhone X will in any way be inferior to any models currently in the iPhone lineup. It's clearly their flagship and will have things the other phones will not, the usability area in the screen may be slightly smaller, but this isn't replacing a plus model, as that will most likely happen down the road. No need for a pissing contest Apple decided which device is the more advanced of the two already.
In any way? Really? You can't think of at least one thing that the 8/Plus do better?

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
You don't use it in landscape or consume media, so what do you use it for? Honestly curious.

I use it in portrait and I don't watch much video on my phone. That's what I was referring to with media. I'll use it for making phone calls, email, messages with friends and family, camera, financials, twitter, instagram, fantasy football, news, GPS for driving, an alarm clock, online shopping, managing my NAS at home, listening to music, safari for websites. Stuff like that.
[doublepost=1508875039][/doublepost]
I think they'll probably find a way to get rid of it or at least reduce it in the future. There's no way this fugly design is permanent.

> I don't consume media
> Buys an iPhone X

???

I think it will be here until there is somewhere else to put the cameras and other sensors in the notch. I don't think that is anytime soon. And regarding the media comment, I will copy from a recent post. I don't watch much video on phone.

"I'll use it for making phone calls, email, messages with friends and family, camera, financials, twitter, instagram, fantasy football, news, GPS for driving, an alarm clock, online shopping, managing my NAS at home, listening to music, safari for websites. Stuff like that."

staggerlee41

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
@opticflare great post, I'm in full agreement with your thoughts on the 8+. What makes me feel especially good about MY choice is that I'd always had the standard size models, this is my first +. I wasn't sure how much I'd like it. While I prefer the smaller form factor in terms of handling the device, the benefits of the + outweigh the size difference. I've adapted and could not be more pleased. It worked out well for my father too, he got my 6s and it is perfect for him. Having come from a 5s the larger size of the 6s is very much appreciated.

It is no doubt going to be interesting to see the impact of the X. I'm excited for those going to purchase it, I'm excited to see the technology it offers, the tests, the reviews, all of it and I'm hoping there are no "gates" with the release of X. Very exciting times to see the future of where iPhone is headed.

Apple has blessed us with many good options this year. There literally are great choices for everyone who wants to buy an iPhone. The X is clearly the bleeding edge of technology, the 8's are wonderful upgrades for those wanting up to date components at a lesser price or those not sold on the new tech of the X. The 7's and 6s's are great value options that still offer users a solid experience without breaking the bank as much as the latest phones. And the SE offers a form factor more true to the original linage of iPhone while proving upgraded hardware and strong value. If none of these Apple offerings appeal to you, there are other good options out there too. These are exciting times in mobile technology!

Reactions: DNichter
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.