Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
I would like to share my experience with Apples poor quality control. I am an Apple Fanboy, I always have been. I love their products, their software, their innovation, all of it! But what I do not love... is their poor quality control. Every single iPhone I’ve had, it has come out of the box with scratches, marks, chips in the glass, scratches in the glass, you name it I’ve had it. I’m so tired of paying over $1000 aud for a phone and it be less than perfect from the box. I know these things are produced on a mass scale but Jesus, I’m on my 4th iPhone 8 Plus and it’s still not right! My first one had debris under the camera lens, scratches on the front and back glass and clicking and ticking with any sort of pressure on the camera or glass, my second one had marks and nicks all over the aluminium band and small scratches all over the display glass and rear glass yet again, my third one had a graze on the corner of the front glass, little chips and marks in the aluminium band and then my forth the aluminium band is finally perfect, but the back glass has a very very small dimple/chip in the glass and the front glass also has a very small dimple/chip. They are very small but I notice it mainly in direct downlighting of course. Im aware that I do have OCD, but when Im putting my hard earned money into these expensive products I do expect perfection given that Apple charge so much for their products, I just find it poor. But I’ve had this with almost every model of iPhone bar the iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5S. From the 6 onwards I’ve had nothing but troubles. Can others please share their experiences with quality control. I would really love to hear in detail how you find your iPhones out of the box. Have a wonderful day everyone. =)

Last edited:

menciuslee

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
I have some QC issues with my iphone 8 plus too. the front glass and the aluminium body is not flush near the volume button. but it is very smooth in other area. I have been to the genius bar got replacements twice, and they all have the same issues. the display models also have the same issue, but funny enough iphone 7 and 6s didnt. not sure whats going on with the QC on the new iphones.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
I have some QC issues with my iphone 8 plus too. the front glass and the aluminium body is not flush near the volume button. but it is very smooth in other area. I have been to the genius bar got replacements twice, and they all have the same issues. the display models also have the same issue, but funny enough iphone 7 and 6s didnt. not sure whats going on with the QC on the new iphones.

I’m glad I’m not the only one! I found that mine was not flush either on my first two! The second two it’s flush and there is no movements in the glass or body. I also found that my first two fit different in my phone case to the second 2. The second 2 fit better and the buttons of the case click better and are properly responsive. I’m sorry that you too are having issues. I find that the Apple Store here in Adelaide take things so personally, like when you request a replacement they take it to heart and it’s so difficult dealing with them. I now am embarrassed to go back into our Apple Store here. Theu don’t seem to understand that there are quality control issues and they look at me like I’m stupid and say that they “never” have issues with quality control ever. I laugh.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
What do you mean flush? Anyway, vote with your wallet, either by switching another one, wait for x, or find alternative. I do empathize your situation, but what can you do if you are running out of options?

menciuslee

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
I’m glad I’m not the only one! I found that mine was not flush either on my first two! The second two it’s flush and there is no movements in the glass or body. I also found that my first two fit different in my phone case to the second 2. The second 2 fit better and the buttons of the case click better and are properly responsive. I’m sorry that you too are having issues. I find that the Apple Store here in Adelaide take things so personally, like when you request a replacement they take it to heart and it’s so difficult dealing with them. I now am embarrassed to go back into our Apple Store here. Theu don’t seem to understand that there are quality control issues and they look at me like I’m stupid and say that they “never” have issues with quality control ever. I laugh.

i mean these issues are not affecting the performance of the phone, but it shouldnt happen to a new phone, especially when apple have stuck with the same design for 4 years. i thought they should have perfected the manufacturing.

Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
What do you mean flush? Anyway, vote with your wallet, either by switching another one, wait for x, or find alternative. I do empathize your situation, but what can you do if you are running out of options?
I think he means that the glass panel does not sit flush/alighned correctly with the aluminium band. There is a gap in between.
[doublepost=1507690619][/doublepost]
i mean these issues are not affecting the performance of the phone, but it shouldnt happen to a new phone, especially when apple have stuck with the same design for 4 years. i thought they should have perfected the manufacturing.

You’re absolutely right, it doesn’t impact the performance of the phone but I guess given the pride themselves on presentation of a product and how “seemless” the design is etc and whatever else Apples marketing team dribble on about, I find it really poor form. You’d think they’d have it all worked out by now. I think the one I have now is probably the pick of the bad bunch, but I’m still far from impressed. =)

Reactions: pat500000

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
I think he means that the glass panel does not sit flush/alighned correctly with the aluminium band. There is a gap in between.

You’re absolutely right, it doesn’t impact the performance of the phone but I guess given the pride themselves on presentation of a product and how “seemless” the design is etc and whatever else Apples marketing team dribble on about, I find it really poor form. You’d think they’d have it all worked out by now. I think the one I have now is probably the pick of the bad bunch, but I’m still far from impressed. =)
Thanks for explanation. Yeah, i would return it if it's at unsatisfactory level.

Reactions: 44267547

deany

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2012
North Wales
I would like to share my experience with Apples poor quality control. I am an Apple Fanboy, I always have been. I love their products, their software, their innovation, all of it! But what I do not love... is their poor quality control. Every single iPhone I’ve had, it has come out of the box with scratches, marks, chips in the glass, scratches in the glass, you name it I’ve had it. I’m so tired of paying over $1000 aud for a phone and it be less than perfect from the box. I know these things are produced on a mass scale but Jesus, I’m on my 4th iPhone 8 Plus and it’s still not right! My first one had debris under the camera lens, scratches on the front and back glass and clicking and ticking with any sort of pressure on the camera or glass, my second one had marks and nicks all over the aluminium band and small scratches all over the display glass and rear glass yet again, my third one had a graze on the corner of the front glass, little chips and marks in the aluminium band and then my forth the aluminium band is finally perfect, but the back glass has a very very small dimple/chip in the glass and the front glass also has a very small dimple/chip. They are very small but I notice it mainly in direct downlighting of course. Im aware that I do have OCD, but when Im putting my hard earned money into these expensive products I do expect perfection given that Apple charge so much for their products, I just find it poor. But I’ve had this with almost every model of iPhone bar the iPhone 4, 4S, 5 and 5S. From the 6 onwards I’ve had nothing but troubles. Can others please share their experiences with quality control. I would really love to hear in detail how you find your iPhones out of the box. Have a wonderful day everyone. =)

Where do you buy your iPhones from? and it it possible to do a check before leaving the shop?

Last edited:

darksithpro

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2016

Pics, or it didn't happen!:Do_O

menciuslee

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017

I probably wont care about this in a couple of months like i always do with my old phones once i dropped it a few times. but until then, it is very annoying and the apple employees are like, this is just how it is built. and said you can check the replacements, but they cant guarantee it will be better. i was like wtf

vistokid

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007

Mine is the same. I'm not happy with it either. I've already gone through one replacement for debris under my camera lens. Not sure what I'll do.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I too share your pain here. I've had various issues out of the box and it took me few returns and repurchase and finally landed one with a perfect one and everything is perfect. No yellow tints (when true tone is off), no scratches out of the box (front and back), home button is flush all the way around. No gaps in between the screen and the aluminum frame. Mine came with 2752 mah (full charge capacity) over 2691 mah (design capacity) with 0 cycle charges.

Things I've noticed issues with mine were gaps between the glass and the aluminum casing (front and back), uneven home button (one side is flush with the glass and other side isn't). Uneven screen tint. I haven't received one with a scratches out of the box for the 8 Plus yet but did for the previous models and they drive me nuts. I don't mind scratches down the road that I cause them but scratches out of the box for me is an automatic return for me. I just can't tolerate those.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Every year it seems to me we see post similar to this when a phone first comes out, but less so months later. Could it be that as the months progress that the quality increases? Perhaps they rush to make so many for release so we see a higher rate of bad quality phones. Just a thought...

To the OP, if you aren't happy with the phone take it back. You are right about these phones costing so much now and you deserve to be happy with your purchase.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I have had nothing but issues with Apple products as far as QC. I've gotten to the point where I can overlook most cosmetic issues on the body, but I can't deal with the screen / glass clicking (especially on the iPad Pro 12.9 - what a disgrace) and any screen issues (I've had so many, but dead pixels, dust, uneven tints, dark marks, and streaks are the most common). Because of this, I haven't been able to upgrade my old devices because I can't get something I'm satisfied with so I've stopped trying, which is a shame because if I could get something I believe deserved my money, Apple would have it. Thought about trying the 8 Plus, but not going to waste my time. I may try the X for ***** and giggles seeing as it has a new design and a different type of screen, but the price tag and the notch are pretty ridiculous.

Lowgun84

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
OK
I had to exchange one for the glass not being flush with the band. Best way to explain the issue is picture a screen protector that is put on ever so slightly crooked and you can feel a little edge when you run your finger where the glass and the protector meet and the other side will be smooth.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I would like to share my experience with Apples poor quality control. I am an Apple Fanboy, I always have been.

I’m on my 4th iPhone 8 Plus and it’s still not right!

Im aware that I do have OCD

I’d agree.

So did you take pics of these phones? I’d love to see a fresh out of the box scratched iPhone. Never seen one before.

Nothing wrong with wanting your purchase to be in flawless condition... but at the same time if you spend 3 hours going over it with a magnifying glass you’ll find a flaw.

My 8 Plus looked great. I didn’t put it under a microscope though. I looked it over and once I approved I put a case and screen protector on it.

RMP28

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2017
I’d agree.

So did you take pics of these phones? I’d love to see a fresh out of the box scratched iPhone. Never seen one before.

Nothing wrong with wanting your purchase to be in flawless condition... but at the same time if you spend 3 hours going over it with a magnifying glass you’ll find a flaw.

My 8 Plus looked great. I didn’t put it under a microscope though. I looked it over and once I approved I put a case and screen protector on it.

Nah I haven’t taken photos as my iPhone is the only camera I have haha. Yeah I’ve seen it quite a bit sadly, even on my friends new iPhones. Yeah you’re right, if you spend time going over it you’re bound to find something on each one. The one I have currently is the best one of the bunch so I’ll probably stick with this. As I said it’s a very minor blemish in the glass, it has to be in direct down lighting for you to see it, in normal lighting it doesn’t seem to show itself. Maybe I’m just being too fussy.
[doublepost=1507704214][/doublepost]
I have had nothing but issues with Apple products as far as QC. I've gotten to the point where I can overlook most cosmetic issues on the body, but I can't deal with the screen / glass clicking (especially on the iPad Pro 12.9 - what a disgrace) and any screen issues (I've had so many, but dead pixels, dust, uneven tints, dark marks, and streaks are the most common). Because of this, I haven't been able to upgrade my old devices because I can't get something I'm satisfied with so I've stopped trying, which is a shame because if I could get something I believe deserved my money, Apple would have it. Thought about trying the 8 Plus, but not going to waste my time. I may try the X for ***** and giggles seeing as it has a new design and a different type of screen, but the price tag and the notch are pretty ridiculous.

Yeah I too thought about giving the X a go once it’s hit stores and it’s a little more readily avail. I love my 8 though for its wireless charging and it’s speed. I’m sorry that you too have had issues. It sucks doesn’t it.
[doublepost=1507704335][/doublepost]
Do you have a Costco nearby? https://costco.gosnaphop.com/locations they have a 90 day 'no quibble' returns policy. With extended warranty options.

I do indeed actually, I just don’t have a membership as yet haha. Thank you for that though, I shall keep that in mind haha!

Reactions: myrtlebee and deany

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
Looks like you all have the 8 Plus. Does this issue only affect that model, or are there people complaining about the 8 having the same problem?

menciuslee

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2017
Nah I haven’t taken photos as my iPhone is the only camera I have haha. Yeah I’ve seen it quite a bit sadly, even on my friends new iPhones. Yeah you’re right, if you spend time going over it you’re bound to find something on each one. The one I have currently is the best one of the bunch so I’ll probably stick with this. As I said it’s a very minor blemish in the glass, it has to be in direct down lighting for you to see it, in normal lighting it doesn’t seem to show itself. Maybe I’m just being too fussy.
[doublepost=1507704214][/doublepost]

Yeah I too thought about giving the X a go once it’s hit stores and it’s a little more readily avail. I love my 8 though for its wireless charging and it’s speed. I’m sorry that you too have had issues. It sucks doesn’t it.
[doublepost=1507704335][/doublepost]

I do indeed actually, I just don’t have a membership as yet haha. Thank you for that though, I shall keep that in mind haha!

Speaking of wireless charging, any of you have the problem where it will keep making the ding sound like it is being disconnected and reconnected to the charger. it happens to me and its really annoying to charge wirelessly at night and having the ding sound wake me up in the middle of the night

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Speaking of wireless charging, any of you have the problem where it will keep making the ding sound like it is being disconnected and reconnected to the charger. it happens to me and its really annoying to charge wirelessly at night and having the ding sound wake me up in the middle of the night
I remembered someone talked about this in the past. I think silence it, but not sure how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.