Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
tmobile just announced their Black Friday deals so I’ll be switching from Verizon to take advantage of the BOGO on the iPhone 8

Im coming from a iPhone 6. I was originally contemplating the 7 plus 128 but leaning heavily towards an iPhone 8 Plus 64.

Any thoughts on the 8 plus after a month...especially from those who switched from a 7?

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
I switched from a 6 plus, so I can say the upgrade was great, much smoother, longer battery, better pictures and just the over all experience with IOS 11 has been awesome.
My 6 is god awful right now....and my wife is even worse with a 5

Really wish they had a 128 but with all my music now on the cloud (FYI iTunes Match is amazing) I don’t need to walk around with 80 gb of music anymore.

Probably just go with the 8. Would love the X but 1k is too mich

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I bought the iPhone 8 over the iPhone X for safety reasons (I tend to hangout late at night sometimes in sketchy areas and don’t want it to get snatched)

I love the 8 a lot. It’s pure bliss (knock on wood)

I spend like a 1000 bucks when you add tax, Apple care plus, and the 256 GB version I got.

I paid cash and when plugged into iTunes it said it’s unlocked (att carrier).

When True Tone is on the bottom seems slightly more orange but I don’t care anymore. After a day of use I stopped caring and it doesn’t bother me now. I wouldn’t change it out.

I also had some battery drain but after updating to iOS 11.1.1 it definitely seems better so maybe that helped.

I have no problems. I hope I have the privilege of always holding an iPhone this good in my hands.

MacWins

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2017
tmobile just announced their Black Friday deals so I’ll be switching from Verizon to take advantage of the BOGO on the iPhone 8

Im coming from a iPhone 6. I was originally contemplating the 7 plus 128 but leaning heavily towards an iPhone 8 Plus 64.

Any thoughts on the 8 plus after a month...especially from those who switched from a 7?
It's my first iPhone, so I don’t know if my opinion could be of any help, but the phone is brilliant and its performance is really remarkable: no lag, always smooth animations and transitions between app, generous screen sizes that makes it enjoyable to use for reading or watching and editing videos and photos.
The battery, another crucial aspect, is just fine: on regular days it does not last less than 10/11 hours of usage (with social media and email notifications always pushed).
So far so good (knock on wood)!

If you have specific questions feel free to ask.

Last edited:

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
It's my first iPhone, so I don’t know if my opinion could be of any help, but the phone is brilliant and its performance is really remarkable: no lag, always smooth animations and transitions between app, generous screen sizes that makes it enjoyable to use for reading or watching and editing videos and photos.
The battery, another crucial aspect, is just fine: on regular days it does not last less than 10/11 hours of usage (with social media and email notifications always pushed).

How do you get 10/11 hours of usage???

I have the iPhone 8 and get around half that

jzchan5747

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I bought the iPhone 8 over the iPhone X for safety reasons (I tend to hangout late at night sometimes in sketchy areas and don’t want it to get snatched)

I love the 8 a lot. It’s pure bliss (knock on wood)

I spend like a 1000 bucks when you add tax, Apple care plus, and the 256 GB version I got.

I paid cash and when plugged into iTunes it said it’s unlocked (att carrier).

When True Tone is on the bottom seems slightly more orange but I don’t care anymore. After a day of use I stopped caring and it doesn’t bother me now. I wouldn’t change it out.

I also had some battery drain but after updating to iOS 11.1.1 it definitely seems better so maybe that helped.

I have no problems. I hope I have the privilege of always holding an iPhone this good in my hands.

Hi there, the bottom area of the screen is warmer, right? I'm from Malaysia, my iPhone 8 does the same, and even with True Tone off, it's there. I went to 3 different outlet, all of their demo unit of 8 has this issue. For 8+, some units have, some don't.

Hate it. They wouldn't replace it or refund.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Hi there, the bottom area of the screen is warmer, right? I'm from Malaysia, my iPhone 8 does the same, and even with True Tone off, it's there. I went to 3 different outlet, all of their demo unit of 8 has this issue. For 8+, some units have, some don't.

Hate it. They wouldn't replace it or refund.

Yeah it’s warmer at the bottom with True Tone on. I exchanged mine out a few times but no luck.

Many of the demo units I saw had the same thing.

It goes away with True Tone on, or at least seems to be greatly improved.

It doesn’t bother me at all anymore. Not one bit.
[doublepost=1510882516][/doublepost]
I think he has an 8+ not an 8.

The only plus model I had (the 6 Plus), the battery life was bananas. If I remember right I wouldn’t have to charge until half way through the next day!!!

Fredo C

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I recently moved from a 6 Plus to an 8 Plus and am so so happy that I did. I was considering putting a new battery in the 6 Plus and trying to get another year out of it, but the sluggishness and reloads were really starting to get to me.

I forgot what it was like to have a new phone until I got the 8 Plus. Everything is smooth and instantaneous. I now see why some people upgrade every year lol. I really couldn’t be happier. My plan was to trade the 8 Plus in next year for an X Plus, but I am so happy with it I am thinking about keeping it longer. It really depends what Apple comes out with next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: PhillyGuy72

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I recently moved from a 6 Plus to an 8 Plus and am so so happy that I did. I was considering putting a new battery in the 6 Plus and trying to get another year out of it, but the sluggishness and reloads were really starting to get to me.

I forgot what it was like to have a new phone until I got the 8 Plus. Everything is smooth and instantaneous. I now see why some people upgrade every year lol. I really couldn’t be happier. My plan was to trade the 8 Plus in next for an X Plus, but I am so happy with it I am thinking about keeping it longer. It really depends what Apple comes out with next year.

I almost feel like the 8/8+ models don’t get enough credit.

My iPhone 8 is such a great phone lol.

Sure it’s not the most advanced looking design but boy is it a great tool and a joy to use.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011

Thanks for the heads up. The responses I'm getting is all I need. The main issue I have with the 8....i was used to a 128 gb option but I've recently switched to iTunes match and it's basically eliminated the need to carry around so much music. I can just stick to the core stuff...in which case 64 gb's is fine.

jzchan5747

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah it’s warmer at the bottom with True Tone on. I exchanged mine out a few times but no luck.

Many of the demo units I saw had the same thing.

It goes away with True Tone on, or at least seems to be greatly improved.

It doesn’t bother me at all anymore. Not one bit.

So I think this is indeed an iPhone 8 problem? You did exchange for a new unit but all of them have the same issue?

Well it's definitely very wrong that only 8 has this problem. For 8+, I don't see this that often. 1 of my friend with 8+ had the same issue, but the demo units of 8+ I saw didn't.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
So I think this is indeed an iPhone 8 problem? You did exchange for a new unit but all of them have the same issue?

Well it's definitely very wrong that only 8 has this problem. For 8+, I don't see this that often. 1 of my friend with 8+ had the same issue, but the demo units of 8+ I saw didn't.

I exchanged it out a couple times but all the same. I don’t see it as a problem at all. I don’t even notice it anymore. It might even be gone.

EDIT. I just looked. If I still have it, it seems EXTREMELY slight. I honestly can’t even tell anymore. Maybe 11.1.1 fixed it or maybe my eyes have changed lol idk but it’s fine.

jzchan5747

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I exchanged it out a couple times but all the same. I don’t see it as a problem at all. I don’t even notice it anymore. It might even be gone.

EDIT. I just looked. If I still have it, it seems EXTREMELY slight. I honestly can’t even tell anymore. Maybe 11.1.1 fixed it or maybe my eyes have changed lol idk but it’s fine.

Alright thanks for clarifying. Probably you get used to it. I just updated to 11.1.2, and I can still see it there. May I know which country you are in?

And guess what Apple said when I send it to the AASP? They said this issue doesn't affect the phone functionality, thus they can't replace it under warranty.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Alright thanks for clarifying. Probably you get used to it. I just updated to 11.1.2, and I can still see it there. May I know which country you are in?

And guess what Apple said when I send it to the AASP? They said this issue doesn't affect the phone functionality, thus they can't replace it under warranty.

I could probably replace mine 1,000 times here and they wouldn’t mind, but here’s the thing- it really isn’t a problem for me. I don’t think it’s a big deal or worth worrying about tbh but to each his own.

I’m from The United States of America.

jzchan5747

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017
I could probably replace mine 1,000 times here and they wouldn’t mind, but here’s the thing- it really isn’t a problem for me. I don’t think it’s a big deal or worth worrying about tbh but to each his own.

Ok thanks a lot for the information. I will see what I can do with it. Apple apparently doesn't want to address this issue.

KONVICTED

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
The 8 is a great evolution. If there wasn’t an X that would be my next phone.
i agree iPhone 8 series packs everything same as iPhone X except the OLED display and face-id. They are the way to go if don't wanna spend $1000 dollars.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I switched from a 6 plus, so I can say the upgrade was great, much smoother, longer battery, better pictures and just the over all experience with IOS 11 has been awesome.

Even though physically do resemble each other, That's a huge upgrade from the iPhone 6 Plus to the iPhone 8 Plus. Especially internally with the ram, processor, battery life, True tone, water resistance, etc.

Last edited:

jzchan5747

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2017

Sorry, just want to clarify on some details. How about the color model you were having? The exchange units you had, have been getting the same color model or switch to a different one?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.