Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
I'm looking to start a small team of coders to develop an iPhone AJAX app, similar to meebo, that would allow users to login and send/receive IMs through our app.

Does anyone want to help start developing one? I'm not sure what language we could use, but if it is PHP, then I could help. I can also help with the design. I really want to increase the interest to create an IM app before iPhone launch.

ThomasShaped

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Glasgow
Yes! Please create this. I was really gutted when i heard there would be no messenger app for the iPhone.

Would it function and look just like the SMS app?

cyberdogl2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
i can help beta test =P

on the real, i'll give anything to the project i can, just spout out what you need and if i can give it i definitely will. i wanna see this project get somewhere big fast.

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
I have a good understanding of PHP, but I have never tried to create an AIM client in it (or any other IM). So, I really need someone to take charge of the code development. Anyone else out there that could help?

BTW, Here is a mockup of what I was thinking:

Attachments

• flaio.jpg
    flaio.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 282

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Well, it would be running in Safari. I wanted to include tabbed messaging so that you could have more than one convo and switch with one tap. I wanted to also be able to sign out and close convos with one click. If the app was spread over multiple screens, then it could be simplified. But, I'd really like to keep that bar for tabbed multiple convos.

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
This would be good, as a temporary solution until official iChat comes along with Jabber support (which it has to, soon)...

rbailer

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
I think this is a great idea. I know php pretty well, so send me a message if my help is needed.

edka

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
I can help out too, i can help debug and testing if you want to
by the way I think you should add an Emoticons box and Display pictures next to the name :D

Edit: I just find out that all the codes to connect to msn or yahoo or aim are online all you have to do is to customise it

http://code.google.com/p/mzk/ this is for msn messenger

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
I'm sending some PMs to people who are interested in helping. I'll create a message board/website to allow people to collaborate on this project. We really need the help of some programmers to work on the IM backend. I don't think that creating an IM client is something that is normally done with PHP, so we need talented programmers who can figure it out.

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
In just a short amount of time look what you guys have come up with! This web-based application thing could turn out to be great!

:apple:4life!

15 more days!

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I wouldn't be much help but have you considered contacting the developers of the Digg app and One Trip?

Edit: I'm no programmer, but I found this; dunno if it helps. :)

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
I wouldn't be much help but have you considered contacting the developers of the Digg app and One Trip?

Edit: I'm no programmer, but I found this; dunno if it helps. :)

That looks like it could be of some help. Except the book costs $70 lol. That looks like it doesn't connect to AIM etc, though. It is a stand alone IM server, so it couldn't be applied to connect to a popular service. Thanks for the help, though.

dannyallen34

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Maybe there will be no need for a development team. The people at http://www.ebuddy.com have a mobile version. Perhaps we can convince them or the people at meebo.com to create an iPhone-optimized version.

It should be a lot easier than building the IM backends from scratch.

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
The folks at meebo are pretty cool, I wouldn't be surprised if they did make a iPhone friendly version. I certainly will be trying to use their existing client on my iPhone. Who is to say it wont work as is now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.