Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Macsimumnews posted a questionable rumor that the iPhone (2 models) and a 50" Apple Monitor would be arriving in early 2007.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a listener to Mac OS Ken with ties to the Mac maker says the company has enacted a hiring freeze in anticipation of hiring hundreds of telco managers to sell the iPhone.

The 50" Monitor is said to be on target alongside the iTV. Rumors of a 50" Apple Plasma triggered much discussion a year ago.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
FleurDuMal said:
A 50" monitor?!? Surely not?!

I bet you'd have to mortgage your house to buy one.

If you own a house.

probably no more expensive than the 30" was when it was released

storage

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
FleurDuMal said:
A 50" monitor?!? Surely not?!

I bet you'd have to mortgage your house to buy one.

If you own a house.
A 50" Plasma-TV goes for ~$3000 today (25% tax included), so it will probably be even "cheaper" when these arrive (or not, the Apple premium is always there).

Carguy172

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2006
50 inch is WAY too big!! although even though I doubt the Iphone will come out it does look pretty cool

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
why not? it wouldn't be a super high res monitor. it'd be a TV. put it on your wall, not on your desk. you wouldn't want high res, you'd want 1920 x 1080. 50" 1080p TVs are selling for about $2300. build an iTV into it and charge $2500. that's not too bad. and with 4 million+ new PS3 owners looking for a new TV to run their games at full res, it could sell quite well!

daveyjokes

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
Oxford, UK-Oh yes!
i have never owned an apple display before, and i doubt i ever will-they are costly beasts but they look bloody awesome-its just one of those things i will spend a minute or two looking at on the apple website and configure my dream mac pro-max ram etc....and then slowly drift back to my courseowrk....ahhh i love school. i just like to admire them in the shops and on desks-i would never have a need for one...and for that matter, who would? i mean comon even the most pro user....really? is it that necessary? maybe...but nevertheless....:rolleyes:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
I think the word "monitor" is being mis-used in this instance.It's more than likely a 50" Plasma TV..Why Plasma is my question.LCD's are getting quit large and usually last longer.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Peace said:
I think the word "monitor" is being mis-used in this instance.It's more than likely a 50" Plasma TV..Why Plasma is my question.LCD's are getting quit large and usually last longer.
Who said it was plasma?

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Yeah, it's not a 50" monitor for your computer it's a 50" monitor as a TV. There's no way you could sell (or maybe even make) something that was 50" at the same resolution at the 30".

sartinsauce

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2006
Los Angeles
Didn't we go through all this plasma stuff last year?

I think this whole thing is bogus. At best it is a misunderstood/misinterpreted product being toyed with up in Crapertino.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Jay42 said:
Yeah, it's not a 50" monitor for your computer it's a 50" monitor as a TV. There's no way you could sell (or maybe even make) something that was 50" at the same resolution at the 30".

Um, do you mean pixels per inch? Because if anything it would be easier to make a 50" monitor at a higher res than 30" (don't have to pack so many pixels in to such a tight space). Now that might make it very expensive, but you could probably do it. However, my bet is on a 1080p if they come out with a TV at all. I would have to strongly consider this, whatever premium they might charge, just because of the built in iTV. However, to be honest, it just doesn't seem likely. Apple's niche will be the iTV, they don't need the added cost/risk of entering yet another market at the same time.

Shotglass

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
You know what I'd do with a 50" monitor? Mount it on the wall behind my desk. That way, I'd have practically a "monitor wall".

But seriously, apple 50" display? I don't believe it until I see it.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I can see it now...

"My 50" monitor has one deal pixel"

Waaaaaaaaaaaah. :rolleyes:

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Why is a 50" monitor/tv out of the realm of possibility? I mean, high-margin consumer electronics are Apple's bread and butter. Consider it part of a hopeful "iTV halo" :)

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
If the 50" was high res, you'd probably need hdmi connectors. I heard that the 30" display was pushing it w/ dual link dvi. But if the 50" came out w/ the highest resoltion possible, think how big that would be!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
autrefois said:
A 50-inch Apple Monitor?

Now that would made video conferencing on iChat downright scary in full-screen mode. Exit Big Brother, enter HUGE Brother.

:)

haha, made me laugh. Thanks. :)

whenpaulsparks

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2004
Tallahassee, FL
it wouldn't make sense for it to be a plasma, it'd be an LCD TV. plasmas over 42" are rare and not worth the money, plus LCDs last longer, can do 1080p easier, they're cheaper, and don't suffer from burn-in.

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
whenpaulsparks said:
it wouldn't make sense for it to be a plasma, it'd be an LCD TV. plasmas over 42" are rare and not worth the money, plus LCDs last longer, can do 1080p easier, they're cheaper, and don't suffer from burn-in.

Huh? Plasmas dominate the market above 42". It is extremely (prohibitively) expensive to make large LCD screens. LCD screens don't handle fast paced motion (crucial for sports and movies) nearly as well as plasmas (because of slower refresh, LCD becomes blurry where image is changing rapidly), and plasma screens are rated to last around 62,000 hours before burn-in problems. Do some research.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.